The Live Fix!

We just spent an hour taking questions on topics ranging from the shape of a Massachusetts Senate special election to the 2010 outlook for Congressional Democrats to our preferences in coffee drinks.

The whole chat transcript is now up but, as always, we like to excerpt a few of the best moment from it in the blog. Want to participate? The Live Fix chat goes EVERY Friday from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m. Be there!

* Anonymous: [Chris] Christie forgetting some income on his taxes in NJ -- is this more than a blip or is [Gov. Jon] Corzine still packing his bags?

Chris Cillizza: Christie has had a bad few weeks -- starting with the revelation that he and Karl Rove had talked about him running for political office while he was still a U.S. Attorney and continuing through the news that he is holding a loan for a woman who works in the Attorney's office now.

Not great.

What we don't know yet is whether this series of bad stories for Christie is enough to fundamentally change the dynamic of the race -- a referendum on Corzine and his handling of the New Jersey economy.

My guess -- and it is only a guess -- is that it isn't as voters have been stewing about Corzine and the state's economy for several years.

But, the bad press for Christie has had one definite effect: it has re-energized many Democratic activists and strategists who were beginning to believe that Corzine was a lost cause as recently as two weeks ago.

* Arlington, Va.: Let's face it -- the people of Massachusetts would elect Kennedy (the former MTV VJ) if she ran for office, wouldn't they?

Chris Cillizza: Love the Kennedy reference! Could John Norris win? What about Downtown Julie Brown. Wubba Wubba Wubba.

I do think the Kennedy name still has considerable cache in Massachusetts and that seat has been in the family almost continually since 1952.

If either Vicki Kennedy, the Senator's wife, ran, she would likely be elected easily. I think Joe Kennedy would have slightly more opposition but would have to be the favorite.

Not clear if either of them are interested.

* Poplar Bluff, Mo.: Chris, thanks for the chat. I read yesterday that Charlie Cook stated the GOP could possibly pick up 20 seats in the House in 2010. Do you believe this to be an accurate assessment and which Democrats (i.e. Blue-Dogs) do you see to be the most vulnerable? By the way, best Dylan song, "The Hurricane", loved the movie.

Chris Cillizza: Yes, the Charlie Cook pronouncement was VERY interesting.

I think Charlie -- along with Stu Rothenberg -- are the two best political handicappers out there right now.

So, I tend to take their assessment very seriously.

What we know from even a cursory glance at the House playing field is that Republicans have MANY more targets than Democrats. (That tends to happen when you lose 54 seats in two election.)

What we saw in 2006 and in 2008 is that the national political environment can help grow the playing field if it is tilted decidedly in one direction.

Given the drop in Obama's poll numbers, the strong disapproval ratings of Congress and the historic losses a majority party suffers in a president's first midterm election, there is reason for significant optimism among Republicans.

They are nearly certain to pick up seats. How many? I am holding my powder on that sort of prediction just yet.

* Midterm elections: Perhaps I am naive, but I think that the Dem losses in the midterms will not be as high if the economy is better. People vote with their checkbooks. It seems prudent to let the health care debate rage now instead of 2010.

And I love your sports-politics comparison. I have always felt that the importance of strategy and personalities and the ability to debate the littlest things to death are the same in sports and politics, except in sports, it doesn't really mean anything.

Chris Cillizza: No question that if the economy gets perceptibly better, Democrats will be in a much strong position come next November.

And, there is a reason that major policy fights happen in off years. Once the calendar turns to 2010, almost nothing of import legislatively will get done.

As for the politics-sports connection, I am actually working on a book proposal as we speak that establishes a Political Hall of Fame along the line of the baseball hall of fame.

And, yes, the above paragraph was a blatant sales pitch to buy the book when it comes out.

By Chris Cillizza  |  August 21, 2009; 12:22 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Fix: Ted Kennedy and Succession Politics
Next: The Fix Breaks!

Comments

"A new study finds obese people have 8 percent less brain tissue than normal-weight individuals. Their brains look 16 years older than the brains of lean individuals, researchers said today."
LiveScience.com

----
This explains a lot since the states with the highest rate of obesity are RED states.

Posted by: JRM2 | August 25, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

NYT closes comments after a day or less, scvrivener, no censorship there. They also moderate them and don't print the repetitive ones, nor the nutty ones.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 24, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I just tried to post the following comment to Frank Rich's essay on The New York Times web site:

Former Homeland Security secretary Tom Ridge opened the Pandora's Box. Frank Rich didn't come right out and ask the question, so I will:

How much of this extremist menacing is being tacitly encouraged by entrenched insiders within the dark bowels of the bureaucracy?

I call to Mr. Rich's attention the following article:

Interestingly, I received a message on my computer screen, purportedly from The New York Times web site, that "comments are no longer being accepted."

Could someone here please verify if that is true? We're talking about today's paper here...

www.nytimes.com/2009/08/23/opinion/23rich.html

Thanks in advance for participating in my latest investigation into "Adventures in Apparent Internet Censorship."

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 23, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

RACHEL MADDOW MUFFS DAVID VITTER SOUND BITE

• Media bias, sloppiness, or a staff infection?

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 23, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

OFF TOPIC:

GoldAndTanzanite / chrisfox8 is actually posting more than me, even though he was already "banned" and is definitely harassing scrivener50.

Posted by: JakeD | August 22, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

That fat pile of Republican dough (Chris Christie) is going to get his butt kicked in NJ now that he's been positively linked to BushCo slimeball, KKKarl Rove.

OFF TOPIC:
Cillizza, are you going to continue to allow JakeD to harrass people on here with his BS Republican propaganda all day long, every single day?

You should either limit the number of times that he posts on here every day OR put his name on the header of your blog along with yours, because he's on here more than you are. He's abusing a public forum and he's been doing it for some time now.

Posted by: DrainYou | August 22, 2009 1:33 AM | Report abuse

((((Seriously, scrivener, get some help.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse))))

Is that the best you've got? The lame psy ops keeps on coming. Alert the DNI...

That link, again for the West Coast:

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 22, 2009 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, scrivener, get some help.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Bad psy op here (GoldAndTanzanite).

Will someone please alert the DNI.

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD @ 5:30 p.m.:

What, now you need a translator?

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

You see, FairlingtonBlade, he's still name-calling. On the plus side, I haven't seen "drindl" post all day.

Posted by: JakeD | August 21, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Huh?

==

Hard to tell if "hits" means clickthroughs, bong-hits, or hits of the glass dick. But ultimately, who cares? He's crazy.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"DDAWD @ 4:12 p.m.

Blinded by all those hits 24/7, maybe?

Posted by: scrivener50 "

Huh?

Posted by: DDAWD | August 21, 2009 5:30 PM | Report abuse

chrisfox8:

If you are going to actually claim that I am going out of my mind every time I post, that hardly counts as "ignoring" me. Why don't you try really hard this time?

Posted by: JakeD | August 21, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Looks like o/~ someone is going out of his mind o/~ groping for attention he's never going to get again.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD @ 4:12 p.m.

Blinded by all those hits 24/7, maybe?

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | August 21, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

The one person you left out of the Massachusetts succession line was former MA Atty General and former President of Common Cause Scott Harshbarger. Harshbarger would be a great choice to fill the seat short term, but he just might be a very interesting candidate for the short term election if Joe Kennedy is not in the mix. Harshbarger's name recognition, pedigree, and his squeaky clean image, might be the ticket in Massachusetts and nationally.

Posted by: gilbert6 | August 21, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

scrivner, did you post the question to the Fix chat? I figured it was someone making fun of you, but I don't know.

What did you think of his response?

Posted by: DDAWD | August 21, 2009 4:12 PM | Report abuse

TO: G&T @ 3:41 p.m.

Does your handler know that you are using federally-regulated telecommunications to threaten and harass?

While certain quarters believe such "methods and tactics" are legal if performed by contractors, I have reason to believe that some of those who may be monitoring your activities think otherwise.

Have a nice day.

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 4:01 PM | Report abuse

You do very lame psy op, "GoldAndTanzanite." (Is that some sort of frat boy Nazi regalia?)

==

Scriv, here's the straight uncut dope.

I get paid to write code to download and install cheap computer games. It's boring work. I'd rather be doing crypto stuff like I did in the six years prior but hey I'm not at Microsoft.

Last time I got a paycheck from the government it was from GSA and it was for unloading railroad cars of 40 lb. boxes of toilet paper, and it was between high school and college.

Now go find yourself a good shrink and bring your toothbrush because you won't be coming home again for a while.

"Gold" refers to element 79.

"Tanzanite" is a precious stone that I adore. I don't own one, but I do own a lot of gold.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Quite likely, scads of voters in New Jersey will declare themselves "disgusted" and they will simply not vote. "Six and a half dozen the other," they'll say. Or "lesser of two evils."

(Contrary to popular belief, most New Jerseyans do not say, "Fuhgeddaboutit!")

Posted by: dognabbit | August 21, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

((((Anyone who can't read *** honest principled disagreement *** without seeing a government-financed conspiracy to silence him is probably someone dangerous to himself or to others.))))

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Oh, you mean like the back-and-forth over chisfox8's sexual preferences or JakeD's birther Kabuki theater?

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Miss Mouthpiece Theatre. Could a few Hail Marys bring it back?
I really get a kick out of all the name calling that the Palinistas and Rushans use about Obama and health care. They obviously learned economics and political science from the Paul Krugman of the plunger set, Joe. The NOP and those who listen on Faugh TV and radio just can't seem to understand the need for expanded coverage. Of course, once they are on Medicare it's then ok for the government to pay. If we would only abandon choice and make sure that all the unwanted children grow up to fight the Halliburton wars it's fine.

Posted by: msjn1 | August 21, 2009 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I really don't think the scrivener50 thing is a laughing matter. We have someone posting here who very clearly needs serious medical attention. Anyone who can't read honest principled disagreement without seeing a government-financed conspiracy to silence him is probably someone dangerous to himself or to others.

I lived with a guy who had a psychotic break and by the time the cops came I had a broken arm and there was a throwing knife stuck in the wall up to the hilt. I fail to see the humor.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Fairlington Blade:

There they go again... polluting the political discourse. On the public's dime, no doubt.

Alert Roz Mazer!

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Hmmm. Maybe Chrisfox8 was right.

koz can't seem to get back on this board and it couldn't really be because he got his feelings hurt and doesn't want to. Trolls love to vex the people who try to swat them, they live for that.

So maybe he really was posting from the day room of a locked ward. It is true that we allow patients only one screen name on our machines, for obvious reasons.

Posted by: shrink2 | August 21, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

@DDAWD - Could it be... the SCRIVENER??? [You have to imagine Dana Carvey as Church Lady.]

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | August 21, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA WAS NOT MAKING SISSY WHEN HE SAID "WEE WEE-ED UP"

Those who choose to think that President Obama was employing a "making sissy" scatological reference when he used the phrase "wee-wee- ed up" reveal an ignorance of urban culture...

... as they mistakenly dismiss the Obama "cool."

Mr. Obama, I believe, did not mean to say "wee wee-ed up."

It appears that he simply stuttered, as he often does, while trying to invoke the urban hipster expression, "weed up."

"Weed up" is defined by the Urban Dictionary as way-out cool, a term that derives from the street slang for smoking marijuana -- to "weed up."

Check out this Urban Dictionary posting from way back in March:

To put it succinctly, this President is no sissy -- he's one "weed up" dude.

***

While I have your attention, read this:

OR (if link is up in smoke): http://NowPublic.com/scrivener

Posted by: scrivener50 | August 21, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Good luck on the book, Mr. C.

Recommend you base inclusion on something more substantive than a popularity vote though.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | August 21, 2009 1:36 PM | Report abuse

I have worked the last two elections in the swing districts of Colorado North of Denver. While I agree with many of the members of Move-on on policy they seem clueless on what it takes to elect someone from a swing district. Unless the economy takes off this will be a bloody mid-term for the Democrats.

Posted by: bradcpa | August 21, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I think it was an interesting chat though I was dissapointed not to get in on the discussion with any of my comments or questions. I suppose I'll have to come up with something more interesting next week.

Though I would like to hear your take on the difference in what each party feels is the President's role in the government since you made the comment that McCain is less concerned/involved with matters of healthcare and the economy.

Posted by: mtcooley | August 21, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

"Philly 'burbs, Pa.: Do you think that your blog has been targeted by paid blog-spammers who try to pollute the political discourse -- especially when a comment arouses the ire of bureaucrats who may be pursuing a hidden ideological agenda?

Chris Cillizza: Um, no "

Ok, who posted this question???

Posted by: DDAWD | August 21, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

CC, I love the chats because you talk about some of the minor topics that we usually don't hear about in the regular political news.
I wish you would do more articles along those lines. One interesting one would be a series of short articles on the rising GOP and Democratic politicians in different states. Basically who can we see running for governer or senator in say 5 years from now?
Good luck with the move to Falls Church too! There is a great pizza/sandwich place near there called the Lost Dog. Its the real.

Posted by: AndyR3 | August 21, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

The JFK "Jr." reference has finally been corrected : )

Posted by: JakeD | August 21, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the chat, Mr. Cillizza. However, you are still mistaken: it was JFK, and not JFK "Jr." (as you stated in the prior thread) who was a Senator, uncle to Joseph Kennedy, and (needless to say) President of the United States.

Posted by: JakeD | August 21, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse