The Live Fix: Of the 2016 Olympics, Virginia Governor, Tpaw and VIA Coffee

We chatted live for an hour today -- taking questions on a wide variety of topics including what (if any) impact there would be on President Barack Obama after Chicago failed to land the 2016 Olympics, whether or not the Virginia governor's race is a referendum on Obama and if Starbucks new instant coffee measures up.

Our three favorite questions are below. You can read the whole chat transcript too.

A sidenote: The Fix is VERY under the weather today (we are writing this from the official Fix bed) and so we are going to pass on writing a Friday Line in favor of taking a Friday nap. Thanks for understanding and we'll be back at it -- hopefully -- early next week.

D.C.: Cillizza: I wrote in a few weeks ago and called you the Bill Simmons of politics...now I find out you're a teetotaling, anti-real coffee, Yankee fan. Don't make me downgrade you to Mike Lupica territory.

That being said, is it just me or does it seem more and more like Arlen Specter is losing this primary? I know he has the institutional support, the money, Obama, Rendell, blach blah...but Sestak has the base. And in a closed primary, isn't that most important?

Chris Cillizza: My goal in life is to be featured in the following sentence: "Chris Cillizza is the homeless man's Bill Simmons."

Not sure if you saw the Q poll earlier this week but it showed Specter dropping like a rock -- from 55 percent to 44 percent -- in a primary matchup against Sestak. Sestak stayed steady at @25 percent.

The other numbers in the poll weren't great for Specter either as his fav/unfav is upside down -- never a good sign for a well known incumbent.

Specter still has some big advantages in the race, however -- notably his HUGE cash haul and the active support from the White House.

My guess is that this race is going to be very close but I have learned over the past few years to NEVER bet against Specter.

St. Paul, Minn.: Hi Chris -- Gov. Pawlenty is clearly ramping up his bid for the Republican nomination in 2012, yet here in MN barely half of those polled approve of the job he's doing, and 55% said that they don't think he should run. Overall, there seems to be a feeling that he's still governor and should be attending to the difficult state of economic affairs here and not his own political ambitions, even if he is out the door in a year. What impact do you think these numbers will have, if any? Are there past situations where presidential candidates haven't been doing so well in their home state and yet go on to capture the nomination?

Chris Cillizza: I wrote about the poll you cite earlier this week on the Fix.

I actually though the overall numbers weren't bad for Tpaw in that more people approved of the job he was doing as governor than didn't -- particularly among critical independents.

That said, I do think there is a natural "This guy?" reaction when one of your home state politicians seeks national office. It happened with John Edwards, Mike Huckabee and lots of other politicians who went on to have considerable success at the national level.

Minnesota -- no offense Land of 10,000 Lakes, I still have love for you -- isn't going to decide the identity of the Republican nominee for president in 2012.

Harrisburg, Pa.: Critical question: Have you tried the new instant Starbucks, available at only about a dollar per glass? What gets me is their advertising: are they trying to tell us that their coffee is so terrible you can't tell the difference between it and instant coffee?

Chris Cillizza: VIA!

I have avoided it despite the super-aggressive pushing of it on me whenever I go into a Starbucks. ("Hey man, try this...it's good for you...first time's free")

Frank confession: I dislike "regular" coffee almost as much as I dislike beer. So, it's only the expensive, sugary drinks for me!

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 2, 2009; 12:37 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Notes
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Fix: An Olympic Boom or Bust?
Next: The Line: The Four Elements of Great Primaries

Comments

Chicago losing the Olympics is a "TEACHABLE MOMENT" for Obama, if he is wise enough to pick up on it. His charm, sweet talking enemies of the U.S., world apology tour and getting American Idol receptions from cheering crowds of young people in Europe don't really gain respect and influence with leaders of other nations. Moreover, other nations know how to make deals the "Chicago Way",this is not unique to the Obama-Daley crowd.

Posted by: mindsweeper01 | October 5, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Why was it necessary for one of your commenters to identify Ms Jarrett as a "Negress". It shows the typical conservative bias against any person of color. They tolerate them only as far as it is useful. Please vote with us but then don't ride on our bus.
RSLIP

Posted by: rslip | October 5, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Ravitchn:

Oh right!!! and the the Bama, Negress are not motivated by racism. Good luck trying to exist in the America that exists only in your mind.

Posted by: linsweet | October 4, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Yup, my five year old woke up this morning seeing colors, sporting bright red cheeks,
@ 101 degrees. No soccer game for him today.

Hey, you didn't infect the people at Fox did you?

Posted by: shrink2 | October 3, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

No Beer? Expensive sugary drinks only? Yikes!

Good political commentary, though.

Good luck with that flu. Just wait 'til Fix Junior goes to school. We call them The Plague Years.

Posted by: nodebris | October 3, 2009 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Only drinks I use are Talking Rain and Gatorade. Coffee I drink either perc or latte with nonfat and sometimes a dash of flavor but I can't drink sugary coffee.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 2, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Well, if he only drinks sugary, expensive coffee, maybe he would enjoy sugary, expensive alcohol. (Since I'm not planning for running for political office, I can be non-PC and refer to them as "girly drinks")

You know, I'm not sure if I have any gay friends who like beer. They all seem to go for the sugary stuff.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 2, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

YOU DISLIKE BEER?

wow. too bad. you're missing out, dude.

==

speak for yourself.

Like every pre-adolescent I snuck tastes of alcohol from the cabinet, ver-r-r-r-ry illicit. Figured there would be some biochemical change come adulthood and the taste would become distinguishable from that of siphoned gas. It didn't.

Haven't touched alcohol since I was 17, haven't missed it.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 2, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Olympics?

Our Orator in Chief Had as much luck getting the summer Olympics to Chicago as he is creating jobs!

From Today's NY Times-

Jobs Report Highlights Uncertainty of U.S. Recovery

By PETER S. GOODMAN
Published: October 2, 2009
"The American economy shed another 263,000 jobs in September and the unemployment rate rose to 9.8 percent, reinforcing a broad assumption that many more months of lean times lie ahead for working people."

Hey Obama supporters- where are all those new "Green Jobs" he told us about at EVERY debate? Anyone installing solar panels out there? Where are the tax incentives, etc? Where are the jobs Obama? 10 months and ticking! Nice job with the Olympics...

Posted by: thecannula | October 2, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

YOU DISLIKE BEER?

wow. too bad. you're missing out, dude.

Posted by: drindl | October 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 2, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

AndyR3: That quote is actually about alcohol, not beer. But consider this:

"Actually, a woman is more like a beer. They smell good, they look good, you'd step over your own mother just to get one!"

Posted by: Blarg | October 2, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Uh, hate sugar in coffee.

Chris you should come to Seattle and try it here. Oh, I tried a pumpkin spice latte .. sounded ghastly to me but it was actually pretty good, as long as it wasn't too sweet.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 2, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

"I dislike "regular" coffee almost as much as I dislike beer. So, it's only the expensive, sugary drinks for me!"

That explains a lot.

Would you like an umbrella, sir?

Posted by: bsimon1 | October 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

YOU DISLIKE BEER!!!!

As Homer says "Beer, the cause of and solution to all the world's problems."

Posted by: AndyR3 | October 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

A vote vs. Chicago is also a vote against all the Chicago mafia in O'Bama's administration: Rahm, the Negress Valerie Jarrett, Axelrod the ramrod, and O'Bama himself.

Coffee? An acquired taste for something that tastes awful and can easily be eliminated.

Spector: a rat who has been in the Senate far too long.

Posted by: ravitchn | October 2, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse