Fix Poll: Rick Perry wins! (Or loses)

Texas Gov. Rick Perry is the most overrated chief executive in the country according to Fix readers. AP Photo/Harry Cabluck

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R) beat back a stiff challenge from Florida Gov. Charlie Crist (R) to claim the title of most overrated governor in the country in the eyes of Fixistas.

More than 9,000(!) votes were cast in less than 24 hours with Perry capturing 43 percent to 35 percent for Crist. Pennsylvania Gov. Ed Rendell was the highest vote-getter among Democrats, taking 16 percent. None of our other three nominees -- Gov. Mitch Daniels (R-Ind.), Martin O'Malley (Md.) and Brian Schweitzer (Mont.) -- took even one percent. (Worth noting: Schweitzer was the overwhelming choice of Democratic political professionals who anonymously registered their votes with the Fix.)

Perry has emerged as a controversial figure on the national stage thanks to his embrace of the tea party movement and his strident advocacy of state's right in the fight over how and whether the economic stimulus money should be spent.

He also faces a serious primary challenge next year in the form of Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R) who is casting Perry as an ineffective politician who has overstayed his welcome.

NOTE: The Fix polls are reflective of the opinions of the Fixista community NOT our opinions about any politicians. We, of course, love all pols equally.

By Chris Cillizza  |  October 28, 2009; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Fix Poll
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Most Important Number in Politics Today
Next: Morning Fix: Public option blinders?

Comments

Hutchinson is right, Perry should have been booted out long ago, but she is not strong enough to replace him, and we need a Democrat to represent Texas citizens. My latest comments about Perry: Allowing states to "opt out" simply means the majority of them will continue to support the insurance companies statewide because of campaign $ concerns, and in Texas where Repub's rule, but don't represent the majority, we will definitely be "opted out" from the beginning and reform will MEAN NOTHING to Texas residents. (John Cornyn does NOT properly represent the opinions of Texas citizens and Congress should stop giving his opinions credence.) The opt-out clause will also likely double the number of Insurance lobbyists descending on state legislatures in individual states. Add Perry’s attempts to build 17 so-called “clean” coal burning nuclear power plants in Texas, and permits to build over 4 dozen platforms in the Gulf, and I think we had better keep GWB’s cronies out of office.

Posted by: ereynolds005 | October 30, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Still gobsmacked that Arnold was excluded from this list. Perhaps only amateurs in Overratedness could contend?

Posted by: TeddySanFran | October 30, 2009 3:13 AM | Report abuse

"CC's rediculous polls(?)
Since 90% of all of your Fix commenters are far-left wing Democrap Socialist Party Obama worshippers, any poll done on here will always reflect that. Any and every Republican will always have negative numbers, and any and every Democrap Socialist will have positive ones.
How silly can you get CC? Posted by: armpeg"

Based on the tireless tracking by BB, The only way I can come to the calculation that 90% of us who post here are Left wing liberals is if you, jake D, Snowbama, and Scrivenor are true blue leftists.

Are you?

Posted by: ceflynline | October 29, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

"You're right--he didn't say that. What he said is worse. He said that he doesn't care to ask questions about who is ACTUALLY a good executive. He'd rather point to people with presidential ambitions in the Republican Party and, because he doesn't agree with them, say they are overrated. Overrated by whom? Not by this newspaper. Not by these readers. Not by you. Posted by: polltregeist "

No, what I said is that I had no reason to go looking. The Democratic governors, having no particular reason to be anything but governors, are busy enough trying to jkeep their State Governments funded, usually in the face of republican anti tax obstructionism. They succeed or fail is their skills, their legislatures, and lick permit them.

But, being a Democrat, I also see no reason to respond to your double standard.

I have no more obligation to be immoderately "balanced" and go seeking counterexamples in my party than you feel obligated to hold your party up to the slightest objective scrutiny.

Damn few are the republicans I know of who earn even grudging respect of me, and virtually all of them are RINOs according to Republican wisdom.

I state an opinion. I am willing to justify my opinion, and as you may note rather capable of doing so. I am willing to debate with reasonable people, of whatever political stripe, but I owe noone your pseudo fairness and see no reason to try.

Should your party ever decide to go back to reasonable political discourse I will watch, probably in shocked disbelief. I might even applaud should some Republican not named Smowe do something that actually smacks of bipartisanship.

But I won't wtaer, till, and fertilize yet another jaked, or other of his ilk.

Should you ever learn reasoned political discourse I might even engage you in it, but such examples of your cant as I have now suggest that I pay you about as much attention as I paid JakeD.

So I Will!

Posted by: ceflynline | October 29, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I'm not surprised about Schweitzer. He has certainly played an appalling role in the Virginia governor's race for the Democratic side. Enough said.

Posted by: fairfaxvoter | October 29, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

To me, this survey doesn't mean much to politics. However, it does mean that CC gets alot of votes on a survey, which I vote on myself, that doesn't mean much. Great job CC!

Posted by: reason5 | October 29, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

To be "overrated," the candidate should be hyped heavily as a great leader or show national aspirations beyond his state. To qualify, most of his claimed accomplishments should be the result of his state's legislature or staff.

Want some overrated Democrats? Try Bill Richardson, Schweitzer, and Deval Patrick.

In the Ex-Governor category, former Democratic governors who left or were forced out in the middle of their terms include Gray Davis (CA), Jim McGreavy (NJ), and Blago (IL).

There are plenty of examples on both sides. Maybe next time Chris will let us nominate the candidates like we do for the Hall of Fame.

Posted by: Gallenod | October 29, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

ooops, I'm up again.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | October 29, 2009 2:24 AM | Report abuse

wow... I got zapped because I suggested Perry would be good in one of those theatrical readings like the Vagina Monologues. Yet another groovy poster was able to say faggit.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | October 29, 2009 2:22 AM | Report abuse

Perry would be good in the Vagina Monologues.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | October 29, 2009 1:58 AM | Report abuse

DDAWD writes:
"It's such a landmark law, but it gets passed by being stuck at the back of what is essentially boilerplate legislation."

Maybe this will help explain why Harry Reid put it on the DoD appropriations.

Posted by: mnteng | October 28, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

==

How old are you exactly? My guess would be twelve.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 28, 2009 8:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad that this hate crimes provision got passed, but it's just funny how some of this stuff gets done. It's such a landmark law, but it gets passed by being stuck at the back of what is essentially boilerplate legislation.

==

That should have the social conservatives puking up blood. They're still reeling from the anathemization of the N-word, now more than ever, and now they can't even yell "faggit" while they're hitting someone they don't like.

Wai, the tyranny!

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 28, 2009 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Obama inks defense bill with hate crimes provision.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 28, 2009 7:40 PM | Report abuse

CC's rediculous polls(?)
How silly can you get CC?

Posted by: armpeg | October 28, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD:

I agree. If you're going to talk up the GOP, that doesn't leave a lot of room for the Ds. But I wonder how many of the readers of this blog can even name the RGA vice-chair or past RGA chair despite CC's best efforts.

Posted by: mnteng | October 28, 2009 7:04 PM | Report abuse

==

Name one Republican with presidential ambitions whose reputation is congruent with his performance.

Pawlenty? Overrated.

Romney? Overrated.

Etc.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 28, 2009 6:59 PM | Report abuse

I just think it's important to note that you only think that Republicans are capable of being overrated.

==

He didn't say that.

If no overrated Democratic governor has come to his attention through conspicuous mediocrity, why would he make an effort to find one?

That's not the same as saying he refuses to believe one exists.

----------

Overrated by whom? Not by this newspaper. Not by these readers. Not by you.

Posted by: polltregeist | October 28, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

"DDAWD:

Probably because Schweitzer is the chair of the DGA. That's probably how O'Malley made it on the list too -- he's the vice-chair of the DGA.

Posted by: mnteng"

Grr...that's the problem with The Fix. It doesn't bother me that the opinions here are skewed towards Republicans, but it's pretty irritating that the CONTENT is so skewed Republican. I know Barbour, Crist, Pawlenty, and Perry are all leaders of the RGA. I've had no clue who the head of the DGA is.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 28, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

==

He didn't say that.

That's not the same as saying he refuses to believe one exists.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 28, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Perry received a higher % than in the 2006 governor's race.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | October 28, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD:

Posted by: mnteng | October 28, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: polltregeist | October 28, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

"ceflynline--I'm curious if you can find an example of an overrated Democratic governor. Posted by: polltregeist "

Why would I care to go looking for one?

Posted by: ceflynline | October 28, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: polltregeist | October 28, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

That's hardly fair. ANY Governor of Texas is a bit overrated, since Texas has basically written the Governors job in such a way that, along with its vastly overrated Legislature, (Read Molly Ivins long hostory on that subject) Texas Government has always been in a class by itself.

TRULY overrated governors are the Pawlenties and Jihndals, touted as Presidential timber but actually kudzu vines encumbering the national political process. Nobody EVER considers Perry for Higher National Office.

History will look back on this year, though, and Find the resigned Mrs. P to be the vastly most overrated Governor of the lot. ESPECIALLY should she get her shot at underperforming Barry Goldwater in the next Presidential landslide.

Posted by: ceflynline | October 28, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Has every underrated politician contest winner been a Democrat? Has every overrated politician contest "winner" been a Republican?

Posted by: polltregeist | October 28, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Only because you refused to list your darling Pawlenty among the choices. Honesty should compel you to note how very many write-ins he got in the comments.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite"

I think Bobby Jindal actually got the most writeins.

But I wonder how well informed people really are. I would have no idea who O'Malley is if my parents didn't live in Maryland. I wouldn't know Mitch Daniels except for Chris C showing him some luv. Schweitzer I know from his DNC speech and not much else. Perry, Crist, and Rendell are far better known.

That's interesting that the Montana gov got so many votes by Dem operatives. I wonder why.

Posted by: DDAWD | October 28, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Go Go Gadget Goodhair!

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | October 28, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

For context, the Fox Sports online pole as to whether we think Andre Agassi is a worse person for having admitted he did meth and lied about it has over 56,000 votes so far today, but hey, we are busy people, we can't care about everything, we've got priorities.

Still, 9000 people who even know the names of some other states' governors well enough to bother clicking on a WaPo poll, that is pretty good.

Posted by: shrink2 | October 28, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | October 28, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

The first (unofficial) victory for Governor Kay Bailey Hutchison.

Posted by: mikenmidland | October 28, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

You say 9000 votes?
I say, congratulations CC.

Posted by: shrink2 | October 28, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse