Jindal Coasts to Louisiana Governor's Mansion

From today's Post: "Rep. Bobby Jindal (R) became the nation's first Indian American governor Saturday, outpolling 11 rivals in Louisiana and drawing enough votes to avoid a runoff election next month.

"With about 90 percent of the state's nearly 4,000 precincts reporting, Jindal had 53 percent of the vote. His nearest competitor, state Sen. Walter J. Boasso (D), had 18 percent." Full story.

By washingtonpost.com Editors  |  October 21, 2007; 10:29 AM ET
Categories:  Governors
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FixCam: Betting on the Bayou
Next: Louisiana: Is Jindal's Win a Sign of GOP Turnaround Nationally?

Comments

It is not so much that NOLA has lost some of its voter base as it is that all the electioneering records by the Dems there are no longer valid. Who knows how many of the deceased were still voting there pre-Katrina. A lot has been made of Nagin getting re-elected while in fact it was more that a Landrieu (Mitch) was not elected to a great many New Orleanians.

The Com of Agriculture, Odom is now in his first runoff since the late 1970's and he is a very powerful Democrat and longstanding incumbent to his office.

Much has been said about Jindal being a corruption fighter, but what should be equally noted (as he did in his victory speech) on par with fighting corruption is that he absolutely abhors bureaucracy and its inherent inefficiencies. This is something that he dealt with in the Foster administration (prev. R gov.) and it was his message over and over and over again after Katrina about the disastrous governmental response as well as how things are in D.C.

I was at LAOEP immediately after Katrina on two occassions and I can tell you some things about the work ethic of the office holders that were over there a mile from my house. I will give a lot of credit to Vitter as to his work ethic when I was there, to the others that were there that I observed, absolutely no credit can be given to their work ethic.

Posted by: kermit.hoffpauir | October 23, 2007 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Now Gov. Jindal has to deliver and I certainly am rooting for him . Once he puts La. on the straight and narrow , stays around to assure it takes hold , then he can put his mind on the future. After all he appears to be a wunderkind. As for comments that he was non-white, I feel that voters didn't even notice his color . I know for sure I didn't which I admit was unusual for me .

Posted by: cjjoy | October 23, 2007 5:39 AM | Report abuse

Fabulous, now the Senate GOP can finally push Vittner to resign knowing that his appointed replacement will be a Republican.

Or will they still applaud him for the fact that his hookers were girls?

Posted by: light_bearer | October 21, 2007 12:52 PM

For you information, I am from Louisiana, so far Vitter is now holding 68% of the support. He is far more likely will be re-elected, and I am still holding my vote for him when his next election comes.

Posted by: architekker | October 22, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

I am not a republican but, I hear this guy on cspan yesterday. he did not sound like a typical republican. He sounded more populist and more about getting things done the right way. Not corporate or insider controlled.
He seems to be an interesting and up and coming political professional who could actually do the things needed in LA and especially in helping NO. I wish him well and hope he turns out to be a great gov.
If the republicans start having more like him, and concidering that my party is more interesting in nominating a corrupt, insider and opportunist who is more concerned with lobbyists and corporations, I may just have to switch.
As it is, I am definitely looking at becoming an indie if my party elects someone like Hillary.
But, if the republicans keeps putting up more populist pols like this guy, I won't be alone in decamping to your side.

Posted by: vwcat | October 22, 2007 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Bobby Jindal ran a great campaign and deserves this victory. Apparently La. resident's don't soley blame Republican's for the whole Katrina blunder. They felt that gov. Blanco also shared a responsibility in that blunder. Jindal ran a great campaign and now is the new gov. of La. Jindal will do a great job. He's starting with asking President Bush for more help with Katrina recovery and La. ethics reform. Much needed for this state.

A few other points of interest are that st. treasurer Kennedy won unoppossed for re-election and campaigned as though he was against someone. He's setting the stage for a senate race vs. Leindrieu in 08. Mitch Liendrieu is the only statewide Democrat to win re-election flat out with over 50% of the vote, he won with 56% and the highest total of any statewide race. Kennedy vs. Liendrieu should definately be going up on THE LINE.

R's also retained Sec. of state's office and sec. of agriculture office. There will be a run-off in the attorney general and insurance commissioner races. The current attorney general was defeated in a democratic primary. R's will likely win both of those elections in November.

Posted by: bryant_flier2006 | October 22, 2007 8:33 AM | Report abuse

This is bound to give a boost to Huckabee in Iowa, no matter how much
Romney blankets the state with ads. I expect that the average GOP voter in Iowa will share a worldview with the "Value Voters" and will see through Romney's marketing smokes and mirrors quite easily.

Posted by: urban4 | October 21, 2007 10:39 PM | Report abuse

CC seems to be ignoring the 'values' voters -- don't know why. Huckabee is continuing to impress. You know, I disagree with him on so many issues -- especially evolution -- that is sure a biggie, but he least gets it with regard to Pakistan, which is about to blow up in our faces..

'Wallace asked Huckabee how he would approach relations with Pakistan. Huckabee said "we need to keep our eyes on Pakistan. I think we've sort of taken a view that everything is OK there, and it's not OK there," he said. "Let's not forget, it's somewhere in the caves of Pakistan where Osama bin Laden is hiding. The next missile bomb that maybe comes our way, the next terrorist attack, is probably going to be postmarked Pakistan."

Huckabee is scheduled to appear in a debate with his fellow GOP rivals Sunday evening in Orlando, Florida.

On Saturday, he finished a close second in total votes, to former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney, in a straw poll of conservative voters at the Values Voters Summit, sponsored by the Family Research Council in Washington, D.C. The total numbers included participants both present at the event, and online. Huckabee scored a decisive victory over his rivals, based on votes cast by voters physically present.'

Posted by: drindl | October 21, 2007 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Not to take much away from Jindal, but he was essentially running unopposed. That, along with the missing 100-150K voters who decamped elsewhere (especially Houston) after the hurricane (and who are overwhelmingly poor), pretty much assured a Jindal win. It will be interesting to see how the national GOPper leadership treats him (he adds one more face to the tiny number of minority Repubs they stuggle to round up to stand on the stage at the convention).

I don't see much chance of new pressure on Vitter--he wasn't arrested for anything, nor did he plead guilty (like Larry Craig did). Of course, the problem is, Craig didn't really do anything illegal; everyone knows what he was TRYING to do, but he didn't actually do any of it. It speaks to the sad state of affairs in the USA that he pled guilty in a vain attempt to hush up the fact that it LOOKED like he MIGHT have done something unsavory, even though he didn't actually do any such thing.

Posted by: Budikavlan | October 21, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Good point, Light. I haven't thought about that possibility. Right again about the girls. Vittner seems to be getting more pats on the back than Craig. I haven't seen much evidence of efforts to push Vittner to resign. But perhhaps it is happening in the background. It seems to be a season for GOP senate resignations.

Posted by: urban4 | October 21, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

How about the results of the "Value Voter" meeting?

"In a presidential candidate straw poll of 5,775 evangelical voters at the meeting and online, former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney came out on top, narrowly ahead of former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee." AFP

"The poll may also have been susceptible to stacking of online votes by campaigns -- Huckabee won 51 percent of votes of 952 people who voted in person at the conference, and Romney took only 10 percent." AFP

I can just imagine Romney staffers furiously entering online votes. His ploys to artificially inflate his support are just too obvious! Go Huckabee!

Posted by: urban4 | October 21, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Or will they still applaud him for the fact that his hookers were girls?

Posted by: light_bearer | October 21, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

This defeat will certainly shake up the Louisiana Dem establishment. On the other hand, having a republican governor at a time when national politics including the Congress and the White House trends to fall into democratic hands may not be the best thing for the state. I suspect that one of the causes of the failed Catrina response was the lack of communication (and animosity) between a democratic state leadership and a republican WH.

Posted by: urban4 | October 21, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

I think he's gonna clean this place up down here (New Orleans). He was, by far, the best candidate. I think he's really going to do great things for this state.

Posted by: Normscoffee | October 21, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse