The Uncertainty of Incumbents: What do you say to voters?

For decades, incumbents have relied on two tried and true messages to voters: "You know/trust me" and "I deliver".

Those two simple statements summed up the traditional powers of incumbency: the sense of connection between voters and the person they are sending to office to represent them, the benefits to their constituents afforded by political longevity and the idea that the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

"Every election since New Jersey and Virginia last year has been like chapters from a Hunter Thompson book -- 'Fear and Loathing in America'," said Republican media consultant Larry McCarthy.

To wit:

* West Virginia Rep. Alan Mollohan was the fourth ranking Democrat on the powerful Appropriations Committee, a perch from which he had -- and was well positioned to continue -- doling out federal goodies for his district and state. Mollohan made that argument to voters and lost by 12 points to state Sen. Mike Oliverio in Tuesday's primary.

* Utah Sen. Bob Bennett (R) sought to make the "you know and like me" case to delegates to the state convention last weekend only to see that personal connection trumped by disgust with his vote in favor of the Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) and his willingness to work with Democrats to craft a bipartisan health care bill.

* Pennsylvania Sen. Arlen Specter (D) spent months running ads that detailed what he had done for the state and what he could do in the future but, of late, has watched his numbers plummet as Rep. Joe Sestak (D) has attacked him as part of the problem in Washington.

* Nevada Sen. Harry Reid (D) went up with ads earlier this year centered on the idea that his position as the highest ranking Democrat in the Senate accrued greatly to the benefit of everyday Nevadans. His poll numbers didn't move an inch and the campaign quickly scuttled that message.

What all that adds up to is a large number of incumbents who are at a loss as to what to say to voters.

The problem is more acute -- and anxiety-causing -- for Democrats because of basic math.

"This isn't a Republican or Democrat problem, it's a problem for incumbents," said Carl Forti, a GOP consultant. "Democrats just hold more seats than Republicans so they are on the front lines."

There's little disagreement about nature of the problem. But, there is far less certainty about the solutions.

In conversations with political strategists -- on both sides of the aisle -- a few suggestions resonated, however:

* Authenticity: "Be real," said Republican strategist John Weaver. "Be honest." He added that incumbents have to make clear that they put how voters' feelings "above those of members of big government, big business and big donors."

* Change agent: Dwelling on the past -- even on past successes -- won't work. What will is showing that you are part of the solution and explaining how and why. Appointed Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet's (D) first television ad smartly seeks to push that image to voters; Bennet is pictured with the Rocky Mountains in the background (far from the halls of Washington). In it., he says: "I've been in Washington for only a year but it didn't take that long to see the whole place is broken. It's time to give them a wake-up call."

* Stay in touch: This piece of advice seems patently obvious for people whose profession is entirely dependent on the whims of the public but both Bennett and Mollohan clearly didn't do the basic political blocking and tackling that would have nipped their eventual losses in the bud. "Incumbents who lose tend be those who've gotten too comfortable in Washington, don't go home as often, and aren't touring the state or district as often," said Forti, a former communications director at the National Republican Congressional Committee. Steve Murphy, a Democratic media consultant, said that "voters think Congress isn't paying any attention to their lives". To win, he added, "you have to show you 'get it.'" The twin losses by Bennett and Mollohan should serve as a wake-up call for incumbents to start paying very close attention to their constituents. The question is whether, for some of them, it will be too late.

Next Tuesday will be an interesting test of how incumbents are (or aren't) dealing with the problems presented by the political environment. While the trend line on Specter isn't good, the campaign of Sen. Blanche Lincoln (D-Ark), who also faces a serious primary challenge may wind up being instructive.

Lincoln has run a sort of hybrid race -- touting her position of power in Washington but also casting herself as outside of the daily back and forth that goes on in the nation's capitol. (Check out her first ad to see that message told in 30 seconds.)

"Voters in most places are not in the mood to reward incumbents based on past accomplishments but that does not mean that incumbents can't make the case that their position will allow them to bring voters the changes to Washington that they seek," said Lincoln pollster Pete Brodnitz.

Lincoln, then, may wind up as the best near-term test case of what an incumbent can say -- and do -- to win. If she manages to take 50 percent plus one in the primary against Lt. Gov. Bill Halter -- and, in so doing, avoid a runoff -- she may well have created a blueprint for other incumbents to follow.

If Halter holds her below 50 percent, however, all bets are off.

By Chris Cillizza  |  May 12, 2010; 12:39 PM ET
Categories:  House , Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Worst Week in Washington
Next: Thune steps into the spotlight

Comments

All I did was ask you why you hated those people.

You could have simply told us why you hate Perry.

And you could have simply told us why you hate Palin.

But you don't want to tell us why.

So you go off on some lecture circuit point.
----------------------------------------
Interpretation:

You aren't paying attention to me. Waaaaaaaaaaaah.

You won't play with me. Waaaaaaaaaaaah.

You just want to discuss. I want to argue. Waaaaaaaaaaah.

[how to I get these people to talk to ME? Waaaaaaaaaaaah.]

[what other braindead accusation can I make to get SOMEONE to pay attention to me? Waaaaaaaaaaaah.]

Sincerely, 37th&O

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 13, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

'powers of incumbency: the sense of connection between voters and the person they are sending to office to represent them,' I know I'm missing it ... but this is PRECISELY why incumbents are being turned out in droves. ANY incumbent who cannot stand before his constituency and point to votes he has made that support their interests deserves to be 'retired.'

Posted by: IQ168 | May 13, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

@leichtman: thanks for the regional detail, great stuff as always.

Dunno why you pay any attention to 37th though, anyone can see his brain is charred from the stimulants he's been taking. Hoping his dealer slips him some rat poison on of these days since it's clear that fir whatever reason Cheeleetsa isn't going to do anything about him.

Probably likes him for the same reason he likes Dan Coats.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 13, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Fairlington: Perry has been gov now for ten years. In 2006 he garnered less than 40per cent against an unknown Houston Councilman and third party candidate. This year he is running 4 points ahead in a deep red. state against a mayor virtually unknown outside of Houston. Some thinking Perry is beloved in Texas and a lock for VP know nothing about Texas politics. First of all the GOp will not want another Texan on the ticket in my lifetime.Secondly Perry is struggling to be re elected.Many moderates in my beloved state have simply tired of Perry after ten years and the cartoonist image he has created of our state with his talk of cessession and nullification.We take our politics seriously here and won t tolerate fools like 37th who likely has never step foot in my native state and ordering us us who we Have to support. Curious how others would feel to be told you Must support the R in your state of you are a hater. Does he even comprehend how ignorant that is?

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Lietchtman1

I prefer to oppose hypocrisy more than anything -

Which causes much confusion - because many people simply do not understand.

All I did was ask you why you hated those people.

You could have simply told us why you hate Perry.

And you could have simply told us why you hate Palin.

But you don't want to tell us why.

So you go off on some lecture circuit point.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Leichtman1

You have no idea what side you are on. First it's Hillary, then it's Obama, then Hillary, then Obama.

Then you say you hate the Tea Party.

If Hillary decides to run again against Obama, what will you do?

Did I say what was better for you or your friends ????

I don't think so.

All I did was ask why you hate your Governor - that is hardly a lecture - it is more like a question.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

37th you are certifiable

I post that Perry is w/I the margin of error in his re election bid.

And your response.why do you hate Perry?

This afternoon. I posted that I hope Palin earns a ton of money from TeaPartiers and your response why do you Hate Palin.

In psychology it's called dissonance. Every 3 min you post ugly
diatribes against Obama and every blogger who supports his polcies
and then you call every opposing view racist and hateful regardless of
sentiments.

I have lived and been integrally involved in every gubanatorial election in my lifetime. Don t you dare lecture mec on what is best for me, mg family employees and friends for Texas. You are a fool and we have tolerated your vitriol here for way too long.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Fairlington

leichtman is just taunting us - think we don't know White is from Houston.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Houston is a small town?

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | May 12, 2010 11:01 PM | Report abuse

leichtman1

Why do you hate your own Governor so much?

So much hate coming from you.

You even switch sides from time to time, but the only constant is hate.

Do you still hate Sarah Palin ?

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 10:59 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be Perry??

Interesting since he is w/I the margin of error here in Texas in his re election bid against an unknown small town mayor.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

How can Los Angelos take away the right to bid on a contract from a person or a company - based on a law passed by the State of Arizona ???

Also, isn't that an enroachment on interstate commerce???

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 10:33 PM | Report abuse

Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

___________________________________

Article 4, Section 2 of the United States Constitution

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

_______________________________-

Is it not curious that those who are seeking to advocate their interpretation of one section of the Constitution, end up VIOLATING ANOTHER SECTION OF THE CONSTITUTION ???

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 10:27 PM | Report abuse

read my last three posts and tell me if I'm sick.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 8:44 PM

No doubt about it.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 8:48 PM

ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT.

YOU ARE DEFINITELY.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 10:18 PM | Report abuse

read my last three posts and tell me if I'm sick.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 8:44 PM

No doubt about it.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 8:48 PM

ABSOLUTELY NO DOUBT.

YOU ARE DEFINITELY.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The new year approaching, click in. Let's facelift bar!
====== http://goph3r.com/189 =====

▍ ★∴
   ....▍▍....█▍ ☆ ★∵ ..../
   ◥█▅▅██▅▅██▅▅▅▅▅███◤
   .◥███████████████◤
 ~~~~◥█████████████◤~~~~

Posted by: itkonlyyou56 | May 12, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

read my last three posts and tell me if I'm sick.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 8:44 PM

No doubt about it.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Perry of Texas? he's toast.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 8:46 PM | Report abuse

read the last three posts and tell me I'm sick to have a low opinion of Republicans

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

12Bar

Again, you have no idea what you are talking about

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

This is how finance whiz argues his case.

Assume some reprehensible characteristic.

Assign it to your foe.

Argue ad absurdem that clearly your adversary is beyond reprieve.

Declare victory.

Posted by: Moonbat | May 12, 2010 8:21 PM | Report abuse

leichtman1 wrote,
"Brigade, for 2 weeks I have defended you herd even when I philosophically disagreed with you
When you wished a man you don t know
who just suffered a stroke and the son of our
VP physical harm I found that reprehensable."

-------

Here's the entire post in question:

Srivener50 wrote,
"NEWS BULLETIN: Beau Biden, Delaware attorney general and son of Vice President Joe Biden, suffers mild stroke."

Must have caught it from his dad.

---------------

Poor taste? Okay. I plead guilty. Now can someone please tell me how this amounts to celebrating his misfortune or wishing him physical harm?

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

Its going to be Perry

Finally a successionist in charge of the Union !!!!

How fitting. Imagine the Stars and Bars flying over the White House.

Woooo HOOOOOOOO

YYYYEEEEEEEEe HHHaaaaaa that will get them democrats upset.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 8:20 PM | Report abuse

It's even funnier when we consider it is a gay communist that is informing us.

==

Socialist.

Not as funny as an unemployed photographer pretending to explain unemployment as resulting from the election of someone he doesn't like. And doesn't like. And doesn't like. And doesn't like. And doesn't like. And doesn't like.

o/~ all day an' all night long o/~

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Awww. Finance whiz is getting in touch with her victim side.

Posted by: Moonbat | May 12, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Noacoler wrote,
"As if a teabagger actually cares about the fate of the African-American community."

Here we go with this teabagger stuff again.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

It's even funnier when we consider it is a gay communist that is informing us.

Posted by: Moonbat | May 12, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

@ everyone who wants to slug it out over abortion,

This is like watching bull elk challenging each other for dominance.

Do you have any idea what a woman who was reading all this, and who needed help on deciding whether to have an abortion, would think about males pawing the ground? She'd laugh in DESPAIR. She needs help, not bumper stickers.

You guys want to make this political, but it isn't really. Political parties can try to hijack the issue, but at its heart, it is a very personal decision made by each mother-to-be.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

When you wished a man you don t know
who just suffered a stroke and the son of our
VP physical harm I found that reprehensable.
In some circles strokes,alzheimers,cancer, and death like with Ted Kennedy is a big joke. To anyone who has family or ffiends who has endured those maladies if is no joke and I make no apologies call me names if that lifts your spirits. Apparently that is the world of callous GOP supporters here.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

==

I've heard that the reason the CIA chose to finance its operations by bringing heroin into the US was because it would keep the blacks down.

We could trade "I've heard" BS all day.

I've stated my moral position. You mock it but can't come up with your own, other than some soft gush about "every human life is precious."

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------
And what part did the complete seizing up of credit for small business in 2008-early 2009 play in this?

When you say the "markets reacted", I'm assuming you mean the stock market. You actually think the stock market went down because of Obama's election and not the global financial meltdown?

And now you think it is going up because of a hoped-for Republican resurgence? And not because the financial system has been stabilized, credit is starting to flow.

I'm amazed. Maybe that is why I keep asking you, because I am so amazed.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Too bad I need to connect the dots for you, Brigade, but I guess I do.

Abortion is a pretty grim form of contraception, I already stated I preferred the kind that prevented pregnancy instead of terminating it, but contraception it nevertheless is.

An additional fifty million mouths would mean that much more habitat destruction, and habitat destruction is far and away the leading cause of extinction, you idiot.

As for throwing up distractions, that would be you with your asides about Planned Parenthood and Curtis LeMay.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather stand as an example than a judge.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 7:34 PM

Copy that.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

12 bar. I have explained my position several times. I consider the economy to be a management of expectations. the actors make predictions and act accordingly. ( after it went above 8%, Obumbler lost all credibility). Just as now, small businesses are afraid to make a move because of the uncertainty of the liberals in charge and the almost certainty of new taxes and strangling regulation, when Obimbo was near getting elected, and the polls first showed this as a foregone conclusion, the markets reacted, very negatively, accounting for the worst.

Turns out they were spot on.

so, yes indeed, the spending, the taxes, the regulation, the uncertainty, the weakness, the pettiness, the political attacks, the broken promises - they ALL go into economics and have resulted in a liberal economy. welcome back Carter is no exxaggeration.

Now if things go well in november, resulting in Repub takeover, many economic actors will be relieved and get back in the game. If berry could ever learn from his mistakes (which may be materilaizing after the TImes square bomber and the "jobless" recovery) he may turn into welcome back bubba instead. but it looks like the voters caught on faster than they did.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 7:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 7:16 PM
-------------------------------------
I don't dispute one bit what you say about late term abortions.

Consider this though: If you want to influence people to be more pro life, be compassionate. Women suffer the tortures of the damned in making the decision and living with the decision, at least most of them. Even those who do it for convenience.

I have many friends who had abortions and are still pro choice, but I don't know one who hasn't inwardly suffered for it. I'd rather stand as an example than a judge.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Noacoler wrote,
"It is my belief that the reason economic consevatives have melded with the pro-life movement is because they see additional births as additional customers and are enraged at the potential profit lost in aborted fetuses, who would have become children and been fodder for advertising and consumption. Cigarettes, gasoline, cars, oh the lost profit."

Your theories are getting nuttier by the minute. Think about this: the African-American population in this country is holding steady around 12-13%; they now account for about 40% of abortions and climbing. I've heard that the founder of Planned Parenthood was an unrepentant racist who thought abortion was a good way to control black population numbers. We certainly know there is a disproportionate number of Planned Parenthood clinics in minority communities. At this rate, when the magic day comes that whites in the U.S. are in the minority, African-Americans will still be at around 12%. Maybe that sounds goofy, but it's absolute brilliance compared to your screed.

"Unlike Brigade and his anecdote, I'm not making mine up."

Tsk. Tsk. No more lying.

"It is my firm moral conviction that we do not have the right to send anything into extinction, not a macaw, not a sparrow, not a field mouse, not a bee. That is the most immoral thing the human race is doing."

Which, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with abortion. When the facts aren't on your side, try to confuse the issue. But I'm not exactly brand new.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse

zouk has to remind us that he's one of the punitive ones, as if anyone didn't already know that.

Whether a woman decides for the best of reasons, for her own life or health, or even for the most capricious of reasons to abort a fetus, the decision is hers to make. Period. Because even if the sonogram shows hands folded in pleading, until the splorch and the slap and the cry the fetus is part of her body, and her body is her own.

Not some televangelist's.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse

@Noacoler,

Thanks for the kind words. If we were to spend the necessary time to simply be curious about each other's position, and not be judgmental, I suspect each of us would move somewhat toward each other. That would be a very delicate interaction, and probably takes place over weeks, months and years, because each of us have strong value reasons for our views.

When it comes to being pro life, it is important enough to care whether I can have a positive influence on even one person in my entire lifetime. That's why I refuse to argue and condemn. It doesn't persuade anyone.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

BINGO

Posted by: Moonbat | May 12, 2010 7:17 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues wrote,
"I am suspicious of all the anger on this subject. In fact, I am repelled by the anger. There is nothing sadder than a woman who feels she must abort for medical reasons, rape, incest, being 14 years old, being homeless, etc."

The only reason this subject came up was because leichtman1 blew a gasket and started leaking oil because I made a remark in questionable taste about the Bidens. Drindl had already pointed out, in her own colorful way, that it was in poor taste. Of course it was.

Then here comes leichtman1 with all this sanctimonious crap about how subhuman and disgusting I am. Whether I am or not, you could never tell by the comment that set him off. No doubt leichtman1 is a good chap, but sometimes I wonder if he isn't about three sheets to the wind when he gets here.

I agree that the conditions you mention are sad indeed. I am not a female, but I've known a few over the years, and I can tell you with confidence that the N.O.W. line saying these late-term abortions are because of incest, rape, health of the mother, etc., is mostly B.S. The majority of them are simply because the mother decides she doesn't want the child, even though that may not be what goes on the paperwork.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 7:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 7:01 PM
---------------------------------
Thank you so much. When you are on the front lines actually seeing some of the tragedies, then you stop with all the finger pointing and anger. It is heartbreaking the choices some of these mothers have to make.

Of course, some abortions are "convenience" and it's a lot harder to be compassionate.

But, I guarantee you that being angry does NOTHING to further the pro life movement. In fact, it hampers it. I speak as a pro life person who is REPELLED by the anger.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

"shrink...he's critical of the HCR"

This is it for me today, kids' events beckon, so to be clear,

Noa, I am a socialist. I am not just critical of the Gigantic Health Care Industry Force Feeding act. I am critical of the fact, the fact that both political parties are all about private profit and social cost.

I see one difference between Haliburton's relationship to the last government and Tom Daschle's clients' relationship to this government.

Haliburton is in the oil business.

Posted by: shrink2 | May 12, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

@12Bar: you are that rarest of pro-lifers, one whose position is genuinely based on reverence for life instead of merely on punitive notions about women or liberals or the poor. I respect the authenticity of your beliefs. I honor that authenticity, even while I disagree on the elevated sanctity of humanity.

Were we to compare the value of a single human life to the value of a single animal life, then I would have to concede, and even there reluctantly, because I have a pretty low opinion of my fellow man, can you blame me given the sort we see on here .. but that isn't the issue to me.

The conflict I see is between additional humans and the loss of entire animal species, and in that case I have no reluctance: if it's between a fetus, even a fetus seconds from birth, and the permanent loss of something like a bird species or even a rodent species then I say abort, abort, and abort some more.

Yeah I would MUCH rather people used contraceptives but guess what, "conservatives" are against that too, and in fact some say "contraception is abortion." And evolution (which they also largely disbelieve) has predisposed us to reproductive irrationality, people don't always make sober informed and rational decisions about sex, babies result. My barrista I see every morning is in the hospital as we speak getting a C-sec for an unplanned pregnancy she didn't know about until very late (it happens).

Unlike Brigade and his anecdote, I'm not making mine up.

Given the low cost of living after my move, I could spend like a drunken sailor the rest of my life and still die with a quarter million, and all that remains when I expire is going to ark agencies like Loro Parque, because that's who I am.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I always hate to step into the abortion debate, but I will this time. I am liberal. I am pro life, always have been. There is no contradiction, so don't think that conservatives own pro life.

I am pro life for very personal, religious and moral reasons. I am pro life for the fetus, for the born, and am against capital punishment. I am PRO LIFE and try to be consistent.

I believe in compassion. I don't condemn anyone who gets an abortion, although I wish she didn't. There but for the grace of God, go I.

If you want to persuade someone to your point of view, drop all the condemnations.

You all strike me as men, and frankly, you haven't been there, done that.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Well said-having volunteered at crisis pregnancy centers, I have seen that first hand. All life is sacred, and when some of these girls do go through with the abortion, they need people to turn to because post-abortion grief is devastating. There are plenty of people, including someone in my extended family who never got over it. It's a real issue that most people gloss over. If you are pro-life, and I definitely am, prove it-put in some time at one of these shelters because it will open your eyes to what is going on in your community.

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

It's going to be Perry

Finnally a successionist in charge of the Union !

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

If you think "every human life is precious" then I guess you've never been to a mall. But you've been to teabagger rallies, no? Then you should have all the counterevidence you'll ever need.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

You all strike me as men, and frankly, you haven't been there, done that.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 6:49 PM | Report abuse

Texas, Obama is the president, not a fortune-teller. You guys make all this idiot hay over that 8% figure just like "57 states" and gaffes like that, while the fact of matter is that the reason for the economic meltdown is just the most recent failure of Republican economics. You guys believe a lot of junk that doesn't work and you expect us to forget the failures and try it again.

Yeah if we just deregulate a little more the o/~ magic of the marketplace o/~ will kick in, it'll work this time, I swear!!

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Noacoler wrote,
"Oh, Brigade, let it go. First you claimed "I know someone who survived an abortion but lost an arm," and now you've frantically googled up someone who survived the saline thing. Nothing about getting ripped apart or losing an arm, just someone who survived the saline."

I'm sorry, old boy, you've lost this exchange---in a big way. I never said "I know someone", I said "I've seen someone".
It's happened more than once, nitwit, but only one example was necessary to demonstrate that you don't know what you're talking about. This "saline thing" was a botched third term abortion. Who's lying now?

"They were feeling their children die inside them." My my my that just *tears* at the heart, doesn't it."

Yes it does. These are late term abortions of children who are viable outside the womb. Only people like you and Obama could be in favor of what Pat Moynihan rightly called infanticide. If it helps you sleep at night, just tell yourself that only blastulas get aborted or maybe someone takes the morning-after pill.

"Right up there with "unborn children," which is an oxymoron."

Hmmmm. Wasn't Scott Peterson convicted of "two" counts of murder?

"You dodge and weave like an eel but the fact remains: at the time of the great majority of abortions there is not even a nervous system yet . . ."

I'm afraid you're the one dodging and weaving. I wasn't talking about the "great majority of abortions", I was talking about infanticide (late-term abortions).

"I've offered a clear moral basis . . . and you still haven't been able to articulate your own moral basis. I don't think you can."

What you've offered is a lack of morality. My morality says that humankind is different from other animals and every human life is precious. I feel like a cat toying with a mouse even discussing this with you. Better luck next time. Now about those remedial courses . . .

"the most emotionally distraught losers of arguments"

That would be you.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

We get those latitudes about how to stay elected, and look at who is un elected: Congress people who were KNOWN for being very careful to observe them.

The anti incumbent fever running is largely on the right, and tyhey are facing a different set of standards.There it isn'tr about anything but being to the right of any possible primary challenger. The challenger maymake no more sense than a book of random numbers, but heruns on"Not Conservative enough" and where there are enough of those candidates, one of them wins. Of course it only works in places like Utah, where the can didate selection process is stacked in favor of the far right, because all those upstarts have to go to the general election convincing people that they CAN deliver something.

Utah wanted to be its own country, and failing that is sort of its own strange universe, but the rest of the world has to live in reality. It the t-s keep gutting faux RINOs for sport, they present the D's with a splendid opportunity. Can the DNC make use of it?

Posted by: ceflynline | May 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

Are you going to blame the global economy

I thought you would blame Bush.

I'm going to blame Clinton - because he deregulated the derivatives, he repealed Glass-Stegall.

Clinton was not really good - he created a great deal of long-term problems - like pulling most of our intelligence resources out of the Middle East.

It is too bad, Clinton had alot of potential.

Funny how the guys who appear to have less potential end up doing a better job.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

2005 5.1
2006 4.6
2007 4.6
2008 5.8
2009 9.3
2010 9.7
Hmmmm, what happened in 2009 that could have caused this sharp rise?
--------------------------------------
What? I can't believe ANYONE is so partisan that he thinks the unemployment rate has to do with the election, and not the global financial seizeup.

If you actually believe it is election-related, say so. I will not bother to engage you in the future, because it would be a waste of time for both of us.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I'll agree with you on that. Though we were 'misled' on unemployment staying below 8% if the stimulus was passed. People buying houses they couldn't afford, being backed up by a wall street gimmick to line the pockets of short-sighted investors is what caused the economic meltdown. Spending 500k to build a frisbee golf course in Austin among hundreds of other pork projects isn't away to jumpstart the economy

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

2005 5.1
2006 4.6
2007 4.6
2008 5.8
2009 9.3
2010 9.7
Hmmmm, what happened in 2009 that could have caused this sharp rise?
--------------------------------------

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 12, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Crist left the GOP because the GOP savaged him for not being an intransigent moron. The GOP expects all its member to behave like toddlers with loaded diapers, and Crist was acting too much like an adult.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse

According to the godless Ped a brownie is not a pastry until you bite into it.

When you buy Betty crocker brownie mix it is not a brownie.

When you pour in the milk and eggs it is not a brownie.

When you put it in the oven it is not a brownie.

When you take it out to cool it is not a brownie.

When you cut it and put it on a plate it is not a brownie.

When you smell the aroma it is not a brownie.

When you take a bite, chew it and swallow it, it is finally a brownie.

You must be able to twist yourself in knots to be a braindead liberal.

Posted by: Moonbat | May 12, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody else cringe when you hear a politician talk about taking a stand out of principle when you know it's the exact opposite? Whether it's Specter or Crist saying they switch because of differences with their party (or the fact they were losing and instead of taking the loss like a man, they further marginalized themselves so that even if they somehow survive this time, their future is drastically limited), or even the party switchers like Parker Griffith (I think that's how you spell his name) switching and say it's out of principle. Honesty is a bipartisan problem and the opportunists from each party really should make everyone sick. There are honest people on both sides who, even if I don't agree with them on most issues, respect them. I don't agree with Ed Rendell or Russ Feingold, but I do respect them. Conversely I could never stand John Edwards who might be the biggest fraud to run for President since Mitt Romney.

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

(shades eyes, rotates head)

who's been "defending and apologizing for these guys in Washington?"

You're just agreeing with shrink because he's critical of the HCR, you don't know if he's right or not.

And you forgot the "bowing and scraping" part. Stay on message!!

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

interesting how in one simple post 37th expects the nation to forget 8 years of failed GOP leadership that led this nation to an unperiled economic crisis unseen since 1929.
37th would have had the nation believe in 1937
that Hoover's policies were no big deal to a
an economically stressed nation b/c it had been 8 years since Hoover.
+290,000 vs -520,000 think about it.
Its a BFD

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Zouk, don't be obvious...of course anyone who says they thought the Great Health Care Industry Stimulus bill was going to somehow "pay for itself" was lying. The bill was passed to drive massive amounts of money into creating and using health care. It was written by the industry, for the industry.

The only difference between the two parties now is the extent to which this or that industry or interest group regulates their politics...with free speech. Whether AARP, Haliburton, Pharma, Boeing, Cigna, SEIU, Trial Lawyers, politicians are liberal with their own interests and conservative with the others'.

Posted by: shrink2 | May 12, 2010 1:17 PM |

-------

Here's someone who gets it. Defending and apologizing for these guys in Washington is utterly ridiculous.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 6:22 PM | Report abuse

"8. Prejudicial Language
Definition: Loaded or emotive terms are used to attach value or moral goodness to believing the proposition."

Right up there with "unborn children," which is an oxymoron.

You dodge and weave like an eel but the fact remains: at the time of the great majority of abortions there is not even a nervous system yet, the aborted thing is only a "child" to the most emotionally distraught losers of arguments.

I've offered a clear moral basis, the onset of consciousness, which is in fact an extension of the Palin notion of reverence for life to the Schweitzerian, and you have elected to view it as exactly the opposite. That's your problem, and you still haven't been able to articulate your own moral basis. I don't think you can.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

OPPPSS OBAMA'S health care plan is now $150 Billion MORE EXPENSIVE.

Does that mean they have to vote again?

NO - but you still have to pay the higher amount.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Drindl wrote,
"Brigade is not new, noa. Just another pseudonym."

Noacoler wrote,
"I figure it's zouk after all. Didn't realize that in addition to all his obvious monikers he also has stealth ones like doof, so Brigade is probably just another one of those."

Two more botched late-termers. These two somehow managed to squirm away after their brains were extracted.

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

"This is interesting as it portrays an unusually balanced media
response to R criticism of Kagan:

"On this front, too, her nomination still haunts the Republican Party.
As several major GOP figures have gone after Kagan for not having the
requisite judicial experience for the court, even middle-of-the-road
news outlets have been compelled to point to statements they made in
support of Miers. On Wednesday, the Associated Press put out a piece
titled "SPIN METER: GOP senators' shifting standards." "

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

And now, it's time for 'Brigade' to pick up where 'bumblingberry' and 'moonbat' alter egos left off -- attacks on myself and noa.

'We can discuss Noacoler's wild, hare-brained theories at length,'

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

That's a "7".

anyone got BINGO yet? Ped is about out of ideas. It will soon be time to repost, like drivl, who can only hold 4 notions in any one day in her feeble little head.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Save your breathe, he only wants to play gutter politics with you so just ignore him.

The real point to this thread is that incumbents have become too fixated on being re-elected to the point they just kick the can down the road. We have unsustainable debt caused by unrealistic growth in government spending. Instead of making unpopular (especially to the public employee unions who have negotiated themselves raises while everyone else is lucky to have a job) budget cuts, we are continuing the sweetheart deals to government employees. We learned the AARP won't let any true reform to Social Security because they will scare senior citizens into believing they are getting rid of their social security when the reality is by the time most of us are qualified for it, it will be completely broke. The fact that they won't allow me the option to invest my social security the way i want to-that's right, if i want to invest in stocks, it's my choice, and if I lose money, it sucks for me, but I made my choice. Medicare is going broke, and we are stealing it's revenue to pay for Obamacare. We need political leaders who are willing to take the heat and make tough choices. We should employ what is called 'Zero Sum Budgeting' which means every program in a department has their budget reviewed and does not start each budget season with their previous budget as a floor. ACORN gets the publicity for their, for a lack of a better word, stupidity, but there are plenty of other ACORNS out there that don't justify the budget expense they are taking up.

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Noacoler's original diatribe:
"at the time of abortions, and in fact for some time after birth, there is no self-awareness. An aborted fetus doesn't even have as much mind or individuality as a mouse. So unless you are just as adamant about preventing the murder of rodents invading your house then you are not expressing a universal moral view"

A later Noacoler rant,
"I've laid out a sold moral foundation for the value of life: consciousness, the individuality of experience. . .
Small wonder you have to invent some BS about a "survivor of an abortion," yeah right, changing the venue on the fly from a blastula to a late third trimester abortion and insulting our intelligence with a fable about an aborted fetus who survive. Huh? She crawled out of a medical waste jar? . . .
I reiterate: your "sanctity of human life" is bigotry. . .
If you could come up with a real rebuttal you wouldn't have needed the phony outrage and trite emotionalism, nor would you have needed to come up with this ridiculous lie."

As you can see from the original post, the subject was never a blastula. I think this is what Moonbat calls a "fact free rant."

In one who wishes can further investigate the following. Facts have a way of speaking for themselves.

(by Amy White)
Gianna Jessen came into the world as a surprise. Her 17-year-old mother knew she was pregnant. She also knew she didn't want to be. She underwent an abortion procedure, having toxic saline solution injected into the womb during the third trimester.

Jessen, then in the womb for 7½ months, spent 18 hours in the solution. "It burns the baby inside and out," she said. "(The mother) is to deliver a dead baby within 24 hours." But when a 2-pound Jessen emerged, she was alive.

"I did not die that day," Jessen said. "I was delivered alive in a Los Angeles County abortion clinic in a room full of teenage girls who had already had the saline injections and were feeling their children die inside of them."

This woman actually testified before Congress on two different occasions.

Obama's website listed the following language as "Language Clearly Threatening Roe" from the first, second and third versions the Illinois' Born Alive Act:

'A live child born as a result of an abortion shall be fully recognized as a human person and accorded immediate protection under the law.'

In Obama's mind, Gianna was not a human person when born and not eligible for legal protection.

We can discuss Noacoler's wild, hare-brained theories at length, but now we must also add biology to that long list of disciplines in which he needs remedial work. Political science, economics, ethics, theology, logic . . .

Posted by: Brigade | May 12, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

'poor drivl is losing touch with reality. every day she slips further. Her teeny little mind is so full of hate, she can't even remember what she did 30 minutes before.

We may have to reduce her maximum number of thoughts down below 4. Looks more like one at a time only these days.

tomorrow, the old bat can head over to Kos and hit "refresh" so she can participate in the discussion again.

Posted by: bumblingberry | "

Yawn. poor zouk, so very obsessed, and so very, very, infantile.

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Who gave Zouk that last can of Jolt Cola?

Posted by: margaretmeyers | May 12, 2010 5:54 PM | Report abuse

STARR: Well it may be good politics but I don’t think it’s good for the Court. We have been through a generation of very divisive politics which I think is not serving the Court well and therefore I don’t think it serves the country well. I just wish for the sake of the country that there was less rancor and acrimony. Elections have consequences. President Obama has chosen someone who is very qualified."

So I guess Ken Starr is a liberal now too.

==

LIBERAL-A? he's a SOCIALIST-A and a COMMUNIST-A and he hates AMERICA-A.

Funny when the guy who high-tailed it after Clinton sounds like a totally reasonable guy compared to .. whatever we want to call them. I can't bring myself to keep calling these cretins "conservatives," that dishonors people who are sane.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) — the chairman of the Republican committee tasked with raising funds to elect more House Republicans — told us that he saw no conflict with his members raising money from the oil industry just about an hour before BP was scheduled to appear for questioning."

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 4:28 PM

Rep. Pete Sessions (R-TX) — the chairman of the Republican committee tasked with raising funds to elect more House Republicans — told us that he saw no conflict with his members raising money from the oil industry just about an hour before BP was scheduled to appear for questioning"

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 5:07 PM

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

That's a "7".

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

It is time to put this liberal nonsense away for good.

an off budget war does not dissappear into the ether. It is simply not in the yearly budget submitted by congress. It DOES show up at the end of the year in the CBO accounting. so the notion that the money is hidden somewhere is just another round of liberal idiocy. kind of like AZ is going to profile people. that is strictly forbidden. but it just sounds so much better when liberals stick to the lies. If they had to tell the truth, what would they say:

We're weak. We spend. We love taxes.

see what I mean?

If anyone is guilty of funky accounting it is caliming you will shave 500 billion from Medicare to balance the health care budget. Does one single person alive actually think Libs will ever cut any budget other than the military or CIA?

I think this last rant from Ped qualifies as a "5" - economic voodoo from the slight of mind. middle square is good.

but Ped tell us about your birds? Are you as stupid as they?

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Tobacco absolutely should be banned, no question about it. A product that's lethal when used as directed and enslaves its users? The legality is a travesty.

No need to ban TV, it serves a function, it keeps right wing cretins yelling "damn right" at Glenn Beck instead of blowing up the neighborhood trying to make pipe bombs, and it keeps the lower orders occupied at night.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 5:30 PM | Report abuse

And that national debt you're crowing about?

Try taking Bush's two "act of god" off-budget wars and putting them back in the actual debt, and there you are.

High schooler? A sixth grader could figure this out. You can't. Ergo, you're a phony.

But we knew that.

Shutterbug.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Ped Bingo.

I think we can count all the ideas running around in Ped's head on ten fingers. Let's try:

1. Palin is stupid
2. Israel is racist
3. God is worthy of scorn
4. Vietnam good, US bad
5. Economics is voodoo
6. animals are better and smarter than humans
7.eating, drinking, smoking ,TV, and many others need to be banned
8. One can show how smart thay are by correcting typos on blogs and insulting the host and everyone who visits
9. demonstrating the good life involves staying up late to trade insults with other posters you supposedly despise and ignore

did I miss any?

Ped, I already have a "9" today. stretch your faculties. Or was this last one an "8"? with a "6" I win.

how do you feel about the relative intelligence of a Palin-hunted wolf?

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

For a guy who claims to do mathematical analysis, zouk, you sure are a lightweight when it comes to simple logic.

News effing flash: the denouement came on 9/15/08. and the job losses in '09 were the cascading effect of the gradual financial collapse.

I understand the intensity of your zeal to blame it all on "berry" but the fact is that it was your idiot hero Bush and his "gut" over deregulation that set all this in motion.

As for your silly claims about your education and avocation, please, you're on this site al ost around the clock. You don't have any time left to work, to vist your family, or anything. You got some stuff on wikipedia.

Proof is in the pudding. You don't have the logical faculties of an average high schooler.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Oh dear, numbers ahead. Flee liberals.

what to tell the voters. Tell them you will stop this:
National debt

1.072391939
1.0750309
1.087837437
1.089109517
1.072453759
1.023489781 2001

wow what's with that jump from about 7 or 8 up to 18? Oh I remember now. Obumbler again. and that is his new baseline, only to go up from here.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

bizarrely, Ken Starr:

"Today on MSNBC, former Whitewater prosecutor Ken Starr countered Republicans who are suggesting Supreme Court nominee Elena Kagan is not qualified because she has never served as a judge. “It’s certainly not necessary,” Starr said, adding that she “has been an outstanding teacher, a wonderful academic, a very successful dean…[and] was a great community builder.”

Host Monica Novotny then asked about attacks on Kagan from “conservative politicians” and “conservatives in the media.” “That’s politics,” Starr said, calling them “ugly.” He later said the right-wing strategy isn’t good for the Court or for the country:

MONICA NOVOTNY: Let me ask you this sir, no one is expecting Republicans to filibuster the nomination but as we’ve heard they are vowing to vigorously challenge her and as you’ve said, “that’s politics.” But is that the right strategy?

So I guess Ken Starr is a liberal now too.

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

'This morning, executives including BP’s chairman Lamar McKay, Transocean CEO Steve Newman, and Halliburton’s Timothy Probert appeared before a hearing in the House Energy and Commerce Committee to dodge responsibility for their respective roles in the Deepwater Horizon Gulf Coast oil spill.

About an hour before the investigation began, however, House Republicans gathered a few blocks away for an “oil and gas breakfast” fundraiser with the oil and gas industry to benefit Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX). View a screenshot of the invitation from the Political Party Time blog below:

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) breakfast

ThinkProgress reported from the fundraiser and spoke with several lawmakers as they went in and out of the building. We asked Brady, who praised the environmental record of the oil industry shortly after the spill, if he still believed that oil drilling still has a “very positive” record. He replied, “you know, I do.”

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Unemployment rate by year
2000 4.0
2001 4.7
2002 5.8
2003 6.0
2004 5.5
2005 5.1
2006 4.6
2007 4.6
2008 5.8
2009 9.3
2010 9.7
Hmmmm, what happened in 2009 that could have caused this sharp rise?

Oh I remember now. the liberals took over complete control. you may notice that it started up when Pellony took over congress after a very stable and long history.

In fazct the last time it was over six was: you guessed it, right before Newt took over from the last liberal we had:
1990 5.6
1991 6.8
1992 7.5
1993 6.9
1994 6.1
1995 5.6

why do liberals hate the working man so? do they figure an out of work, depressed, loser is a sure Dem vote.

Well, looking at drivl, that seems to be true.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

leichtman1

No one cares about Bush anymore - its all on Obama - and Obama is a miserable failure - who can't even keep to his campaign promises.

We NEED CHANGE

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

In drivl's world, having a job makes you "very important".

she doesn't know anyone who is very important.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 4:44 PM | Report abuse

ok math whiz tell us again about how great
Bush's loss of 6 million jobs in 14 months
fits into your statistical analysis.
55 months to return to 5% unemployment rate
is decent and far better then where we were
headed in Sept 2008. Remember predictions of the apocalypse when Bear Sterns collapsed and people much smarter then you were claiming we were headed straight to a 1929 10 year worldwide recession. Somehow
the radical right wants to delude themselves into believing that Sept 15, 2008, Enron and the loss of 6 million jobs either neither happened or was delusionally Obama's fault.
Bush has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion, but somehow conservatives want to deny the f.u. economy Obama was handed in Feb 2009, that cutting spending is a recipe for disaster in attacking a once in 100 year economic crisis(why I mentioned FDR's faux pas), how conservatives do not appreciate how TARP likely saved the world from a very long intl depression(which I credit Bush and Paulson for appreciating) and that somehow all would have been well for our economy had TARP never happened. That is utter Insanity.

again you never responded to my very simple querry that should be real simple for a math genius like you:
is +290,000 greater than -525,000.
you don't need an abacus, Masters in Math or computer to figure that one out.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Seriously

The incumbents have failed America

Look at Obama - everything he promised - then this.

The LEAST HE CAN DO IS SIGN AN AUTHORIZATION OPENING THE FILE IN HAWAII AND HIS SCHOOL RECORDS.

AND STOP WITH ALL THE TRANSPARENCY STUFF.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

BOUGHT -- lockm stock and oil barrel:

"This morning, executives including BP’s chairman Lamar McKay, Transocean CEO Steve Newman, and Halliburton’s Timothy Probert appeared before a hearing in the House Energy and Commerce Committee to dodge responsibility for their respective roles in the Deepwater Horizon Gulf Coast oil spill.

Rep. Kevin Brady (R-TX) breakfast

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

"Sarah Palin is hated by the progressive left with a degree of obsessed derangement "

We don't hate lil' Sarah, we love her. she's the funniest thing to come along since Ellie Clampett.

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

for such an important fellow, has a lot of time on his hands. and that's just this thread.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:57 PM |
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:47 PM |
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:37 PM
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:20 PM | R
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 2:22 PM | Re
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 2:00 PM
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 1:48 PM
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 1:29 PM |
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 1:27 PM | |
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 12:58 PM
Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 12:50 PM | Re

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

finance whiz, your argument relying on my credentials in photography belies the utter weakness of your position.

I am a math major, an operations research major then a numerical methods major. My thesis was on decision making in humans. It did involve game theory and probablity, especially Bayes methods.

now I don't tell you that to create some special authority on any topic. My authority is on DoD and abstract modeling. I do enjoy boating and photography as hobbies. I currently work on a project on social network analysis.

at the rate of 290K per month, which is very hearty, not exactly an "expected value", it would take about 55 months to get back to the Bush era employment levels. when this happened to Bush it was labeled very sneeringly a "jobless recovery". Is that what it is? Or have you Libs changed the terminology again?

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

actually no one much cares about Palin.
She is a great self promoter selling her books
at COSTCO for $4.95 and raking in millions
chanting Drill Baby Drill to fellow ditto heads. Capitalism reins and personally I hope she becomes filty rich and collects a lot of money from Tea Party suckers, some shelling out as much as $500 to hear her nonsense at their conventions.
Curious why she is not down in Louisiana or singing that mantra in harmony with Hailey Barbour, delivering that great message to out of work fishermen?

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Agreed GJJ.

Politics is a projective screen onto which people throw their wishes and fears. Here we comment on what sticks.

Posted by: shrink2 | May 12, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Ankara - Russia Wednesday rebuffed a warning from the United States over a plan to sell surface-to-air missiles to Iran, saying Moscow needed no advice from Washington on its weapons sales. The United States said Tuesday it had warned Russia that delivering the S-300 anti-aircraft system to Iran would have serious consequences for relations with Washington. (Snip) But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Moscow needed ''no advice from across the ocean'' about the sale of the S-300.

I am so pleased that Obambi has made so many friends around the globe, not like that dumm cowboy Bush.
there's that joke of a phrase "serious consequences". Has anyone ever experienced them? We heard that N Korea was gonna git it about a year and a half ago. nuttin.

Eventually, berry is going to have to actually do something, anything, to retain any sense of power in the world. And I'm not referring to bowing, scraping, surrendering, attending a summit or reading a teleprompter. I think we've seen the relative effectiveness of those actions.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

"what's wrong with talking about the guy in there right now"

fair enough: 290,000 new jobs were reported
in April 2010, the first increase in job growth reported by the DOL in 8 qtrs.
Apparently you will about that b/c you prefer in your lunacy hemoraging jobs at a clip of
-500,000 jobs per month. Again its hard to explain to a photography student trained at the Wharton Photography Community College that +290,000 is a 790,000 turnaround in job creation. We know this is difficult for you to comprehend zouk.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

shrink2, the opportunity to see bizarre mental contradictions like that in action is one of my main reasons for continuing to follow politics despite the fact that the number of loud, irrational, uninformed ideologues grows every day.

Posted by: GJonahJameson | May 12, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin is hated by the progressive left with a degree of obsessed derangement that Cotton Mather would have called "a little over the top." Her next book is due out November 23.

But leftists aren't waiting until then, they've decided to go ahead and start trashing it now. Or, at least, some jealous dingbat at Huffington Post who'll never know the love of a real man (much less make $12 Million in a single year) has decided to start moaning about it already. "I'll need Dramamine."

But the real, real sweet delicious progressive bitterness is in the comments...
$arah and her ilk tend to revel in their ignorance. (minerva117)
But I'll bet Sarah knows how to pronounce "Corpsman."

I wonder if McCain wishes he hadn't plucked this bizarre woman from obscurity where she rightfully belonged? However, she stands as living proof that anyone can make it in America and you don't have to be smart or hard-working to make it, either. (pjwrites)
No, you just have to be able to read a Teleprompter and pal around with terrorists.

The Palinites will tell everyone that her first book, "Going Loon", oh I'm sorry, "Going Rogue" did so well and was a best-seller! What they will not tell you is it was bought "en masse" from churches and other organizations to give out to her "followers" (corrai)
And the left knows this for a "fact" because it's "the only possible explanation." The voices say so.

Most REAL mothers would never have embarked on the run for VP when they had a disabled baby at home (hers or her daughters) (Colmor)

Ah, Trig Trootherism. You knew that was coming.

I just keep shaking my head and wanting to cry.(Darklady)

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

CHRIS

How about this - when you go around the country for TWO YEARS promising to be bipartisan - you BE BIPARTISAN.

You don't jam anything down anyone's throats.

Sorry, but the democrats DID THIS TO THEMSELVES -

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

finance whiz would rather talk about Reagan, bush and FDR?

what's wrong with talking about the guy in there right now? I understand how you could be embarrassed, even ashamed, if you were tricked into revealing the truth.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Last week we were talking about how most voters think more people agree with them than actually do. This week, "Voters love to feel like everyone's against them..." It can't be both, or can it? Yes we can, feel both ways, that is.

One of the great things about human psychology is our ability to hold directly opposing feelings simultaneously. Some worry about about resolving the apparent conflict, most don't even recognize it. Ambivalence R us.

Posted by: shrink2 | May 12, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

One other observation...

Politicians who mingle with their constituents generally only tend to meet two kinds of people:

1. People who have a problem they want solved.

2. People who are "right" about some issue.

It's exhausting work talking with advocates 99% of the day, which is why most politicians try to avoid actual unscripted conversations with the plebescite like the plague. But problem children and crusaders are becoming more numerous and more insistent.

The Novemember elections will just be one event in a much larger drama. I don't see this skein of Fate's thread playing out until at least 2020.

Posted by: Gallenod | May 12, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

ATTENTION: STAFF OF THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES ATTORNEY GENERAL ERIC HOLDER, DEPUTY A.G. TOM PEREZ:

RE: DELAWARE ATTORNEY GENERAL BEAU BIDEN

Our prayers are with Beau and the family, and I wish him a speedy recovery. But it also would be prudent to heed the words of TV's N.C.I.S. Special Agent LeRoy Jethro Gibbs: "I don't believe in coincidences."

I have posted in this space links to my various recent articles, in which I have warned that some of the nation's political leaders may be unwitting targets of an awesome, silent, invisible and little known microwave/laser radio frequency weapon that has been installed in every neighborhood in America -- a weapon system that apparently has been franchised out by government fusion centers
to various authorities, commands and operatives.

This matter MUST be thoroughly investigated, at once.

OR NowPublic.com/scrivener re: "Gestapo USA."

Posted by: scrivener50 | May 12, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

It's sad that "You know/trust me" and "I deliver" are so much more cogent with voters than is "I have at least the slightest idea what I'm doing." So many individuals have convinced themselves that their elected representatives' job is to represent them, specifically, forsaking all others in those representatives' Congressional districts. Some mad scientist needs to create a parallel universe where all our incumbents are simultaneously replaced with political newcomers just so the "They all suck and must be voted out!" crowd can see what happens.

I doubt any professional political strategist is willing to admit it, but I would think a very successful line for incumbents would be, "Everyone in Washington is against you except for me," no matter the party of the person saying it. Voters love to feel like everyone's against them, for some bizarre reason.

Posted by: GJonahJameson | May 12, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

NOW the CBO is saying that OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE BILL is way over ONE TRILLION DOLLARS

They rushed into the vote - and didn't tell anyone about the additional costs.

Just wait to see the additional costs as it keeps going.

Obama never wanted to slow down to tell everyone what was in the bill.

AND THEN YOU WONDER WHY EVERYONE WANTS TO THROW EVERYONE OUT OF CONGRESS ????

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Q: What should incumbents say to voters?
A: This is what you say to voters:

Posted by: shrink2 | May 12, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Bread and circuses. Food and entertainment. As long as the masses are well-fed, comfortable and distracted, they vote for the familiar.

The mismanagement of two wars, housing bubble collapse, Wall Street idiocies, job losses, foreclosures, etc., all got people to look up from their food and televisions shows and feel uncomfortable about how things were going. This contributed to the electoral upheavals in 2006 and 2008 against the Republicans.

While the Tea Party is making a lot of noise, it is still the large mass of voters in the middle who really matter who have been stirred out of their Lovecraftian torpor and have come to the realization that the world has changed and they don't like it. Enough seem to have come to the conclusion that incumbency is more responsible for the situation than which party is in charge, and we're seeing the result.

The establishments of both parties will try to influence the beast by claiming they can return the world to a state where most of the mob can go back to their bread and circuses.

But what we need is more people to take an active, informed, and individual view of the world and where they fit in it, instead of just being swept along by whatever mob they happen to be in.

If the economy improves, they will likely settle back down and leave the noisemaking to the Tea Partiers of the world.

But the Beast is awake and afoot, and we can only hope it doesn't panic when it realizes there are no easy fixes to the problems we all face. That leaves way too many openings for demagogues.

Posted by: Gallenod | May 12, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Kit Bond was on television - again - with the same complaint about the terrorism investigation.

He is saying that the Justice Dept is involved - and that he can not get information like he does in other intelligence cases.

Now this is serious. Congress has to be involved - Also - Obama appears to be taking the high road - by replacing the intelligence agencies with Justice in these investigations - and then Obama starts to circumvent Congressional committees.

This is ridiculous.

Anyway - just add this to the other ridiculous things going on under Obama.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

The AMERICAN PEOPLE DO NOT WANT OBAMA'S HEALTH CARE BILL.

The democrats STUCK EVERYONE WITH THIS BILL -

AND THEN THE DEMOCRATS CALLED EVERYONE A RACIST WHO DID NOT AGREE WITH THEM.

What do you expect??

Seriously, what do you expect under those circumstances ????

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

actually Reagan started the exact same type of Commission, certainly Reagan was a coward by your standards.

Interesting the GOP was totally silent about deficits until 2010. More FAUX OUTRAGE from the amnesia party.

we know the $900 billion Bush spent in dec 2008 was Obama's fault and the
billions neccessary to fight 2 wars and stimulate the economy don't count. Incidentally
FDR for a brief time in 1934 cut spending with
dire consequences, something zouk either does not understand(or prefers) or didn't learn in his PHD in photography.

290,000 jobs in April 2010, the first report of job increases for 8 qtrs vs average monthly
job decreases under Bush leadership in 2008. Apparently zouk doesn t understand that
+290,000 is better than -525,000 with his PHD from Wharton School of Photography.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

What is amusing that there are several candidates who can't seem to read the tea leaves about their viability as candidates and continue to plow ahead without thinking about the consequences. Harry Reid, Arlen Spector, Charlie Crist (once Democrats decide they rather support their own and not an opportunist), Jim Gibbons, Robert Bennett, Alan Mollohan, Paul Kanjorski. At least Chris Dodd got the hint. The funny thing is the reason these guys are in trouble is that their voters don't like them, but yet they somehow think that will change. Like Rick Santorium and J.D. Hayworth before them, they seem to not get that their constituents are sick of them, and repackaging your campaign slogans won't change that

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Get a life, zouk.

Better yet, take it.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 12, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Obama and Pelosi will be a problem for candidates like Chet Edwards who have allowed themselves to be linked to them, and who come from solidly red areas, but most incumbents will be held to task for their record in office. Nobody is happy with what is coming out of D.C. and both parties will have to answer for it-but since there are more D's than R's, you will see the D's getting it worse. It's really that simple. Now cue the posts about evil right-wingers, teabaggers, and questions about Obama's birth certificate

Posted by: TexasProud1 | May 12, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Ooops, finance whiz forgot to read the paper:

Federal Deficit for April 2010 Hits All-Time Record
Reaches $82.7 Billion
More than 4x April 2009

how will they manage to blame someone, anyone, for this?

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I said it before OBAMA IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM

Obama was elected - and because voters did not know him that well, and he was inexperienced, voters placed a measure of TRUST in him.

OBAMA HAS VIOLATED THAT TRUST - BIG TIME - AND IN A WAY THAT HE WILL NOT GET IT BACK - AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY IS SEEN AS BETRAYING THE AMERICAN PUBLIC AS WELL.

All these little games they play - all that is heightened right now because everyone is watching them.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 12, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

block creation of the Bowles/Simpson Deficit Reduction Commission

Are you referring to the constitutional duties of the US Congress, which is to submit a budget for Presidential approval.

why no budget this year, finance whiz?

Perhaps the cowards way out is more in the liberal tradition. find a bunch of bureacrats to suggest raising taxes.

"wasn't me, it was the commission"

Lib way out:

Read the teleprompter
hold a summit
form a committee
raise taxes

works every time.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Here's the state of Alabama -- a candidate tries to refute the idea that he beleives in science -- god forbid!

"In Alabama, a state PAC recently went on the air with an ad attacking one of the Republican gubernatorial candidates for supporting the teaching of evolution in schools and for saying that parts of the Bible aren't true.

The candidate, Bradley Byrne, responded with a lengthy press release vehemently defending his belief in creationism and the infallible truth of the Bible.

"As a Christian and as a public servant, I have never wavered in my belief that this world and everything in it is a masterpiece created by the hands of God," Byrne wrote. "As a member of the Alabama Board of Education, the record clearly shows that I fought to ensure the teaching of creationism in our school text books. Those who attack me have distorted, twisted and misrepresented my comments and are spewing utter lies to the people of this state."

He went on: "I believe the Bible is the Word of God and that every single word of it is true ... My faith is at the center of my life and my belief in Jesus Christ as my personal savior and Lord guides my every action."

His credentials are that he fought to keep alabama kids from having the science knowledge to get into decent colleges. 'Keep Alabamans down' is apparently his campaign slogan.

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Rs in Congress overwhelmingly opposed and attempt to block creation of the Bowles/Simpson Deficit Reduction Commission and then whine with faux outrage about the deficit.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Here is finance whiz's Dem leadership:

As the Congressional Budget Office reported in the summary of its document “The Long-Term Budget Outlook”:

The federal budget is on an unsustainable path — meaning that federal debt will continue to grow much faster than the economy over the long run. . . . Rising costs for health care and the aging of the U.S. population will cause federal spending to increase rapidly. . . .

Large budget deficits would reduce national saving, leading to more borrowing from abroad and less domestic investment, which in turn would depress income growth. . . . The accumulation of debt would seriously harm the economy. Alternatively, if spending grew as projected and taxes were raised in tandem, tax rates would have to reach levels never seen in the United States (the highest marginal income tax rate so far: 94 percent, in 1944-45). High tax rates would slow the growth of the economy, making the spending burden harder to bear.

Blankeley -
In the face of the financial ruin of the nation, it was unconscionable to pass a new health-care entitlement that almost all Americans know will add trillions to the debt. Next year, as President Obama almost certainly will call for a new value-added tax to do the “responsible thing” and reduce the deficits he and Congress have created, it will be equally unconscionable to support such a tax. The only solution to the debt and deficit that will not kill economic growth is to cut spending, not raise taxes. We cannot afford to elect Republicans or Democrats who would be “responsible” by raising taxes.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"Except for annoyance over TARP, which exists in a small portion of the left, none of this is true for Dems"

I can only presume that zouk understands that
it was Hank Paulson R SOT and W. Bush, R POTUS,
who in Dec 2008 introduced a $900 billion Bailout to America and even suggested that we should go further and fully nationalize our banks. Its amazing what short memories conservative Rs have in their efforts to rewrite 8 years of disastrous US economic history.

perhaps he deludes himself into believing that
Paulson and W Bush are D's.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

"A new Public Policy Polling survey has some good news for President Barack Obama: His approval rating is at its highest point since October.

The poll, conducted from May 7-9, shows that 50% of Americans approve of Obama, compared to 46% who disapprove. Not since Oct. 21 -- when a PPP survey showed Obama's approval rating at 51%, compared to 43% disapproving -- that PPP has showed Obama's numbers this strong."

So much for The Beltway Anti-Obama Narrative.

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

the answer zouk is to look at G.B.'s economy and look at our's. B/C of strong D leadership,
the US economy is in strong recovery mode, G.B's not.

And that should be the D message:

For 8 years R's like __________ screwed up the economy/drove it in the ditch near a 1929
crash. Insanity would be doing the same thing
and expecting a different result from GOP
candidate _____________. Don t trust GOP
candidate ______________ with our recovery.

Posted by: leichtman1 | May 12, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

zouk is frantic today, I see.

"Those laws of political gravity have not applied in recent months as a lingering negative perception about the economy, fears of the rapid expansion of government, anger at Wall Street and the sense that Washington is broken have combined to create a national environment that is decidedly unfriendly to anyone with "Rep.", "Sen." or "Gov." before their names."

Except for annoyance over TARP, which exists in a small portion of the left, none of this is true for Dems.

Arlen Spector has been a Dem for approx. 5 minutes so it doesn't apply to him. Mollahan was corrupt and lazy and it's good to see him go. Lincoln has strayed too far to the right, but the primary challenge has moved her to the left enough that she may well survive.

That's really it for us -- very specific cases. On the R side, however, you have this mindless furty and dozens of incumbents are threatened. You will see, Chris, there is o equivalence in this, however much you may wish.

Posted by: drindl | May 12, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

The White House Press Corps is a little miffed that the first person granted an “interview” of Obama’s nominee was not a member of the media, but a White House staffer:

Q It appears that Solicitor General Kagan did an interview yesterday right after the President’s announcement. You’ve now posted that on the White House website. Who did the interview? And can I have one?

MR. GIBBS: I think it’s — I think it’s on the website, if you want to see it.

Q Do you know who did the interview?

MR. GIBBS: Yes, I think it was Arun who does the video stuff, similar to what we did with Judge Sotomayor during the last one.

Q So a White House staffer interviewing her?

MR. GIBBS: Yes.

Q Would she like to do another one with a journalists?

MR. GIBBS: She has — she’s not told me that, no. (Laughter.)

Q Tell her we’re deeply frustrated.

MR. GIBBS: I will. I will.

In other words, new media distribution methods are fine, as long as it is the president who gets to do the distributing. For critics of the administration, it’s simply a distraction.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Are we in the same sinking boat as Britain. there is a solution:

Most people in Britain will be glad to see the back of the New Labour era after 13 years of socialist rule. Gordon Brown was a disastrous prime minister, whose list of achievements is nonexistent. He leaves behind a broken Britain, heavily in debt, fearful of its future, and in a state of decline.

substitute Obama for Brown above, an easy parallel. coming soon - a broken america, heavily in debt, fearful and in decline.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

ARLEN'S TV ADS NO MATCH FOR SESTAK CUT-THROAT ATTACK SPOT

The way this constituent sees it, Arlen Specter has made two potentially fatal campaign ad mistakes.

First, he's using himself as the main spokesman in his TV ads -- a miscue because his speech cadence, his phraseology, and his very countenance are the weapons that Joe Sestak's camp effectively uses against Specter in the devastating attack ad now airing around the clock statewide.

Second, his recitation of his accomplishments on behalf of Pennsylvanians is incomplete. Whatever his opponents may say about Specter, he has delivered for Pennsylvania, year after year. His advertising should clearly and forcefully point this out, with on-screen graphic cues and key words, etching in the voters' minds an indelible laundry list of his accomplishments.

My conclusion: It may be too late for Specter, who now professes that he always was a "John F. Kennedy Democrat."

To which I say: Prove it -- finally tell the truth about what you learned as chief counsel to the Warren Commission.

NOTE: The following comment will not post to today's article about Beau Biden at delawareonline.com. I keep getting a message that "your session has expired." I believe some powerful entity is trying to censor me -- so could some kind Fixista please sign up for the site and re-post this for me? You will be helping to circumvent the draconian CENSORSHIP of internet speech in America:

***

TO A.G. BUEAU BIDEN AND TO THE VICE PRESIDENT OF THE U.S. (staff, please save and forward):

I have posted in this space links to my various recent articles, in which I have warned that some of the nation's political leaders may be unwitting targets of an awesome, silent, invisible and little known microwave/laser radio frequency weapon that has been installed in every neighborhood in America -- a weapon system that apparently has been franchised out to various authorities, commands and operatives, and is being used for nefarious purposes.

When you have the time, please read these articles:

http://nowpublic.com/world/gestapo-usa-govt-funded-vigilante-network-terrorizes-america OR NowPublic.com/scrivener re: "Gestapo USA."

Posted by: scrivener50 | May 12, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

My perception is that Sen Lincoln's prospects changed for the better with the timing of her proposal to rein in derivatives trading. That she was described as being tougher on wall street than anyone expected had to help her fend off Halter's attacks from the left.

In MN none of the incumbents are particularly vulnerable. The Repubs would like to take down Walz, but he's well-liked in his district. The inverse is true for perennial Dem target Bachmann.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 12, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Tell them you just realized that jihadists are out to get us. the rest of us with brains knew this for about a decade now.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ken., spoke on the Senate floor Wednesday, calling Attorney General Eric Holder's recent comments on Miranda warnings "baffling."(Snip)While McConnell said that the Attorney General may believe that the reported involvement of the Taliban in Pakistan in the Times Square attack constitutes a "new threat," he stated, "Most people have been aware of the terrorist threat of international terrorists to the homeland since September 11, 2001."

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

simple, Lie to them.

Comrade Obama: Information Is Bad

When the head of the government openly proclaims that he wants us to be less informed, the country has obviously gotten itself into serious trouble:

In his latest swipe at the modern media environment, President Obama used a commencement speech over the weekend to bemoan the onslaught of information in the digital age and suggest that the gusher of news out there is too much of a good thing. …
Speaking at Hampton University in Virginia, the president raised alarms when he said "information becomes a distraction, a diversion" that is putting "pressure on our country and on our democracy."
A distraction from what, if not blind obedience to an agenda that will destroy our country socially, politically, morally, and economically? How could any legitimate leader want his people to be less informed?

For an answer, here's a quote from another infamous statist, Joseph Goebbels:

If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State.
Unsurprisingly, B. Hussein singled out cable television (i.e., Fox News), radio (Rush et al.), and blogs (like this one), outlets for information that has not been twisted into lies by servile political obedience, unlike the liberal establishment media, which has reduced itself to a tasteless joke.

He's identified his enemies, and begun the Alinskyite process of demonizing them. Silence coercively imposed by the State will inevitably follow

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 12, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse