Top GOP recruit Vaughn Ward loses in Idaho primary

Top national GOP recruit Vaughn Ward on Tuesday lost his primary in Idaho after a series of missteps by his campaign, throwing the Republican Party's chances in doubt against top-targeted Rep. Walt Minnick (D-Idaho).

Ward was trailing state Rep. Raul Labrador (R) 48 to 39 percent, with 90 percent of precincts reporting. The Associated Press called the race for Labrador early Wednesday.

Ward becomes the latest establishment favorite to go down in defeat, although his loss will more likely be chalked up to his campaign's myriad gaffes.

He was one of the first 10 candidates named to the final stage of the National Republican Congressional Committee's (NRCC) Young Guns program for its top 2010 hopefuls this cycle. Over the past month, however, his campaign has fallen victim to multiple charges of plagiarism, revelations that he didn't vote in the 2008 presidential election and a slip-up in which he said (in front of his Puerto Rican-born opponent) that Puerto Rico is a country (hint: it's not).

That opponent, Labrador, moves on to the general election and leaves national Republicans to evaluate where the race fits in their list of priorities this November. Labrador, an immigration attorney, is something of a blank slate to Washington.

He joined the NRCC's Young Guns program but has yet to reach the goals required to be named to the first stage of the program.

Given the right candidate, the freshman Minnick's district should be at the top of the GOP's target list. It went for Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) with 62 percent of the vote in 2008, but former Rep. Bill Sali (R-Idaho) severely underperformed the top of the GOP ticket, losing narrowly to Minnick.

Sali backed Labrador, while Ward was backed by former Alaska governor Sarah Palin (R).

Minnick has proven a savvy congressman, voting conservative on almost all major pieces of legislation and building a sizeable war chest for 2010. Republicans can't rely on merely a good environment to take him out.

In other races in Idaho on Tuesday, Gov. C.L. "Butch" Otter (R) and Sen. Mike Crapo (R) both overcame nominal primary opposition, as did Rep. Mike Simpson (R-Idaho), who faced a reasonably well-funded opponent and was a Troubled Asset Relief Program (a.k.a. bailout) supporter. All will be heavy favorites in the general election.

-- Aaron Blake

By The Fix  |  May 26, 2010; 2:55 AM ET
Categories:  House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Idaho primary day: Vaughn Ward makes the finish line (barely)
Next: Ad wars in Arkansas heat up in advance of June 8 runoff

Comments

Endorsements from the "Wild Alaskan Dingbat" are the kiss of death this election cycle. Any candidate that accepts her endorsement gets viewed as a member of the lunatic fringe. The very element we need to root out of our government.
Frankly, its not going to be a good year for incumbents of either party.

Posted by: dennisnickell | May 27, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

(Now, if only I could type)

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 27, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I'm appalled that, despite all his gaffes, 39% of Republican voters still voted for Ward.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm appalled that, despite all his gafffes, 39% of Republican voters still voted for Ward.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

I appalled that, despite all his gafffes, 39% of Republican voters still voted for Ward.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 27, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Now, why would Sarah Palin back a candidate who's so ill-informed that he believes Puerto Rico is a country? Oh, wait a minute . . . what's that old chestnut about birds of a feather?
www.eightfits.blogspot.com

Posted by: Baxter24 | May 27, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I thought Blake wrote this post, not Cillizza.

Posted by: threedy | May 27, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Did anyone other than myself notice how slickly Chris Cillizza glossed over the fact that Sarah Palin actively supported this bum Ward? It must have really stuck in his craw to even have to acknowledge that. But, this is just the latest in a string of defeats for Palin. NYT OPINONATOR has a full article on it this morning.

Posted by: jaxas70 | May 27, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

------------------------------------------

Umm....Puerto Rico is not a country...it is a U.S. territory.

Posted by: WPL22 | May 27, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

This could be serious for Democrats...if even Idahoans (the most backward and isolated people on the planet) realize that Sarah Palin is a bunch of crapo.

Posted by: jjedif | May 27, 2010 2:14 AM | Report abuse

Geez o Pete! No wonder Ward lost. Anyone stupid enough to have Palin involved in their campaign deserves to lose! She is a blight on everything she touches. Gad! I can't believe he was so blind and dumb to let her come around. She is an insult to everyone's intelligence!

Posted by: surfer-joe | May 27, 2010 12:34 AM | Report abuse

This just goes to show what happens when you have clueless political neophytes running for big-time office. This guy Ward should have started low, with some local, or State Rep. race, and worked his way up and then perhaps he would not be so prone to making stupid mistakes. Similar to Rand Paul in Kentucky in not being ready for prime time. In over his head.

Posted by: OHIOCITIZEN | May 26, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Funny! Link to this from the 'Post Politics' main page is headlined "Top GOP recruit falls in Arizona Senate race"

As an Idaho native (born in Lewiston, just a little south of where Sarah Palin was born), I'll just observe we often get lumped in with all those mid-western states that start and end in vowels (Ohio? Iowa? Idaho?) but are rarely mistaken for Arizona.

Posted by: malis | May 26, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse

hey sorry me again - got some sleep so hopefully I can spell now... sigh proud product of the 43rd worst funded public school system *that said the blame is mine, I should spell check.* yes I am a native *born in Idaho falls, went to V.V.E fairmont, and capital in boise, just realized I have writen boiseian tons but never Idahoan *still think it should have an i but like I said bad speller...* Ok so again we in Idaho once in a while vote for Dems - esp with the migration of people from Utah, and California *conservitives who want guns and low taxes* the last 30 - 40 years its rare, but a Borah, Church, or Andrus, Or a Dem who worked for Nixon and is endorsed by the tea party (which Ward was not!) AKA Walt Minnick can get elected. Again Palin - nice lady is just another conservitive woman with a gun here- that isn't that rare here, and most of them here are probably smarter, some are real hunters *bowhunters* lol and spell alot better than I *not hard to do* so Palin isn't that special even if she is mavericky (plus she backed mccain, gramisty, ward, and carly fiorina who is loved by all the people at HP that got layed off so she could be the first hp ceo with her own jet *watch out barbra boxer you wont be the only one using airforce jets to take famly to weddings now* a marble drive way *maby she is the reincarnation of ol' Marie Antoinette - let them eat pavement* and ship jobs to India and nafta mexico.) hmm yeah wonder why a uber conservitive state wouldn't go gaga over her - let me look at my hand maybe I wrote the answer there. Listen nice lady I am sure, anyone who fights for the 2nd amendment is ok in my book but she seems a bit of a shill and impressive only to big city back easties. Kinda like trucks, hey boston love how your "conservitive" truck owner voted yes for tons more beauracrcy with the "reform" bill the other day. Still compared to Ted... I guess I Should just be happy he hasn't gotten drunk and driven his chevy into the levy...

Posted by: bebopin2 | May 26, 2010 5:20 PM | Report abuse

Wow, this guy does seem silly and dumb for not knowing that puerto rico is not a country. I would say it's perhaps the most silliest thing I've ever heard of....but, since I listened to some really stupid, moronic, and idiotic things by a candidate a couple of years ago I really now realize that what this guy said really is not that bad...unless you are a demoncrat looking for some punchlines and jabs. I wonder if this Ward guy had said something like "I've now been in 57 states -- I think one left to go." OR "Let me be absolutely clear. Israel is a strong friend of Israel's. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under a McCain...administration. It will be a strong friend of Israel's under an Obama administration. So that policy is not going to change." Yep, you know the dumb-A I'm talking about...he's our president. And has this mule done anything about the oil spill in the gulf???

Posted by: carolinanc2002 | May 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

By the way, I competed in the Couer d'Alene, Idaho marathon when I was a teen - my worst marathon ever, because my kid sister kicked me in the back of my leg, and I was in pain for the entire run.

Posted by: WillSeattle | May 26, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

It is not the GOP.

Call them by their real names.

The Whig Party.

Because, like them, they will be destroyed this year and become a third party.

In the West their losses will be shocking - but nationwide they will be routed.

Posted by: WillSeattle | May 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Idaho...is that like a state or something?

File this under 'who gives a ratt's butt?'

Posted by: sosueme1 | May 26, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

------------------------------------
Correction. ALLEGED state of birth.

Papers, baby, papers?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 26, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Do not discount Labrador in this race, as he could be the next US Rep. from Idaho. Minnik will still have a tough time holding this seat in such a conservative district. Labrador has a real opportunity here, and he doesn't want to let it pass bye.

Posted by: reason5 | May 26, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

"Among Ward's greatest hits: caught allegedly plagiarizing a speech by President Barack Obama, failing to vote in the 2008 election and seemingly not knowing that Puerto Rico isn't a country. (Talking Points Memo's Christina Bellantoni Ben Frumin wondered if Ward is the worst candidate ever.)"

Worst ever except for half term Governor Palin,his endorser...Her record of screw ups is unrivaled yet her every word is covered as if she had been a great VP candidate, had won the contest or had anything but short snippets of sarcasm left to offer the political press. GO Arctic Grifter! Add this to NY-23 and PA-12 and of course Rand Paul of Kentucky fame.

Posted by: BobSanderson | May 26, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Apparently nobody loaded the Young Bullets into the Young Guns.

Posted by: unpluggedboodah | May 26, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

"A series of gaffes" - HA - this teapottie was just showing what all the teapotties and their candidates show, THEY ARE STUPID, THEY LIE and they don't know beans about American history. Their leader sister Sarah - showed them if this bimbo could rise in the GOP, certainly any other nitwit could!

Posted by: utahmink | May 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse
Well said! Scary people they are

Posted by: lildg54 | May 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Palin.

You are useless as a politiican. You have less influence than that drug addict, Limbaugh.

But you CAN make it up to us.

(Just show is your t!ts!)

Posted by: trenda | May 26, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Palin.

But you CAN make it up to us.

(Just show is your t!ts!)

Posted by: trenda | May 26, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

"A 'teacher' told my child in class that dolphins were mammals and not fish!" a third complains. "And the same thing about whales! We need TRADITIONAL VALUES in all areas of education. If it swims in the water, it is a FISH. Period! End of Story."

Great merciful heavens save us from absolute stupidity. Looks like you need a basic biology lesson Both whales and dolphins breathe air and must surface to breathe, otherwise they drown exactly as we would drown if we couldn't get to the surface while swimming. They also give birth to live young (no eggs, that is for fish)! I swim in the sea quite often, doesn't make me a fish any more than standing in my garage makes me a car!!

It's pretty plain why Michael Steele's "rank and file Republicans" are having problems if these are the sorts of mentalities they enfold beneath their "wings". I'm not quite sure I even care to be associated with such cretins. Where's a true conservative with any brains to go?

Posted by: OregonStorm | May 26, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Palin
Please just go away please, go away ,you are a disgrace and an embarassment to all honest hard working Americans you are stupid which is just a joke that anyone listens to what you say or do ,but some people are just clueless. Maybe you should try taking care of your own family they need your help and attention way more then any of us do.When was last time you spent a full day with your own child Trig or is just given off to someone and how about some quality time for grandchild nope go go espouse your moronic rantings

Posted by: lildg54 | May 26, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: OregonStorm | May 26, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Young Guns seem to have misfired.

Posted by: unpluggedboodah | May 26, 2010 10:57 AM | Report abuse

meg whitman's sons never on the campaign trail...

they are embarassing louts.

"Griff Harsh V was a member of Princeton's class of 2008 (among the first classes eligible to live in Whitman College, which his mother donated $30M to build) until mysterious circumstances and a disciplinary hearing forced him to withdraw. Perhaps the infraction had something to do with Griff's documented pigheadedness when he drinks? Quoth campus rag The Nassau Weekly:

Overheard at Charter [eating club]

Griff Harsh (Meg Whitman's son) throws beer in Guy's face.
Guy: You can't do that to people.
Griff Harsh (points at himself): Billionaire."

Posted by: drindl | May 26, 2010 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: utahmink | May 26, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: utahmink | May 26, 2010 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Young Guns? More like Young Duds.

Posted by: unpluggedboodah | May 26, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Poor Brigade - well, his blow up doll did have that slow leak last night. Bound to make any computer coward grumpy...

So, when will the MSM narrative start looking more realistic? I thought it was going to be a banner year for the GOP.

Posted by: LABC | May 26, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

I think Mitch McConnell really doesn't like Rand paul much, hmmm?

"On Friday, GOP Kentucky Senate candidate Rand Paul told ABC News that the Obama administration’s promise to keep a “boot heel on the throat of BP” was “really un-American.” “I think it’s part of this sort of blame game society in the sense that it’s always got to be someone’s fault,” said Paul. “Instead of the fact that maybe sometimes accidents happen.” On CNN last night, John King asked Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY), who supported Paul’s primary opponent, if he agreed with Paul’s “un-American” comment. McConnell said he did not:

KING: One of the things Rand Paul has said that has generated quite a bit of controversy, as you know, is he said that he found some of President Obama’s criticism of B.P. after the oil spill to be un-American. Do you agree with that?

MCCONNELL: I think the criticism of B.P. is obviously well-founded. There’s no question that B.P. or the two other companies involved in this drilling are responsible for what happened. .. And I don’t — I don’t — I don’t say that in any way what B.P. has done is excusable.

Later in the interview, McConnell chastised Paul’s post-primary gaffes, saying, “I think he’s said quite enough for the time being in terms of national press coverage.”

Posted by: drindl | May 26, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

'lefty, I'm with you. Brigade's political insight this morning consists of "idiot," "moron," "tosh" and "nutjob."

S/He's like that Angry Little Ladybug in the Eric Carl book: she picks fights with everyone but then says they aren't worth fighting with and quickly moves on. We're all s t i l l waiting for his big idea.'

he's just another doppelganger to scroll past.

Posted by: drindl | May 26, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Mark, was point is that BP lied from the gitgo and assured everyone it was under control. If they had told anything resembling the truth, the response would have been different.

BUt I certainly agree if I were Obama the first thing I would have done would be to throw every republican lobbyist bush appointed out on their ears.

Posted by: drindl | May 26, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Incumbents didn't do too well last night. Four Senate Republicans went down, as did 2 House Republicans. One House incumbent tied a challenger 627-627. In a state where the average Tea Party member might not be conseervative enough in some parts, anti-incumbent sentiment is going to be particularly acute. Minnick might have voted against most major Obama initiatives, but it might not matter, particularly given the Dem collapse in Northern Idaho (outside of Kootenai County, which has solidly GOP long before other parts moved that way). Minnick is lucky Labrador isn't a stronger opponent or from the North. His base, Canyon and suburban Boise, is the least likely part of the 1st for Minnick to win anyway.

Posted by: joeyjoejoe | May 26, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Republicans looking for ideas, any ideas, develop new website for input.

Dana Milbank:
Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), who created the program, said that to get software for the site, "I personally traveled to Washington state and discovered a Microsoft program that helped NASA map the moon."

Using lunar software is appropriate, because the early responses to the Republicans' request for ideas are pretty far out:

"End Child Labor Laws," suggests one helpful participant. "We coddle children too much. They need to spend their youth in the factories."

"How about if Congress actually do thier job and VET or Usurper in Chief, Obama is NOT a Natural Born Citizen in any way," recommends another. "That fake so called birth certificate is useless."

House Republicans, meet the World Wide Web.

GOP leaders seemed to have something else in mind as they rolled out their new site. "I would expect the ideas that come out of this Web site and the involvement of our members will lead to ideas that we can attempt to implement today,"

Posted by: drindl | May 26, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

"I expect the news to get worse for Palin today when Will Folks releases five years of text messages and emails, forcing Nikki Haley to tearfully admit that, yes, she was boffing Folks while married to her dipwad husband.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | May 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse "

Yeah, funny how everyone seems to have forgotten that one right?

Posted by: unpluggedboodah | May 26, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

This morning's best news about the gusher:

Either the old Adair guys or Boots&Coots should have been called in immediately.

There have been so few platform catastrophes in the last 40 years that no drilling company has the requisite expertise and the government has neither the expertise nor the equipment.

The blowout event cannot be practiced for on a simulation and must be dealt with by thought experiment; that is the reason for the requirement of a permit with an enviro plan. Waiver of enviro plan as was done here invites no thought experiment for a blowout event, so only the specialists remain to deal with them, after the fact, as the driller is inept at the moment of disaster.

There are two federal failures so far. First, the waivers.
Second, the failure of the Corps of Engineers to provide booms - unless they do not exist within the USA [I honestly do not know the answer to that one].

We knew by the end of the GWB Admin that MMS was corrupted. Salazar should have reorganized them from the gitgo. I know: hindsight is 20-20. I would have made that reorganization a priority-and I assumed it was happening-so for me it was not "hindsight".

The remediation response will determine BHO's name on the Gulf. It will be understood there that the Feds have no "Boots&Coots" of their own, so most folks will give the Feds a pass on termination of the gusher. But shore defense and remediation puts this Admin under the magnifying glass, especially Mr. Salazar. The experts will want to put the Corps under the magnifier, too.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | May 26, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

Republican 'Young Guns' sure seem lacking in talent and innovation. Maybe next decade chumps.

Posted by: unpluggedboodah | May 26, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

As a progressive, I really wouldn't mind a GOP majority in the House next year. Give Republicans a stake in governing - maybe they'll stop being the Party Of No and do something constructive for the country.

Posted by: EnemyOfTheState | May 26, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Realist, did you take a double dose of your stupid pills this morning?

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | May 26, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Brigade~ Yes, W and DICK lied about Iraq. You're the WWJD party; the family values party; the hold-them-accountable party. So live up to your own rhetoric and hold these two war criminals accountable. They lied and thousands died. They betrayed our own CIA agent. Their hands are bloody. Oh, and in case you've forgotten, they drove this country over a financial cliff that cost people their homes, their jobs, and their health. That was your guys. DICK and W. Their lies make Vaughn's look like mere cookie jar fibs.

Posted by: medogsbstfrnd | May 26, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | May 26, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

But, but, the Republicans have been crowing about how they are going to take back the Senate and House this fall!
Posted by: Lefty_ | May 26, 2010 8:38 AM
-------
Who exactly has been crowing? See, Lefty, it's drivel like this that does not deserve a serious response.
Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 9:08 AM
___________________________________________
Are you really that insulated from reality?

Here are a couple of examples:

"
House Republicans are already brushing off the disappointing loss in the late John Murtha’s district Tuesday night, claiming the GOP will still retake the House in November."

"The Republican Study Committee Chairman has predicted that the GOP “will be able to gain at least 40 seats” necessary to regain majority status since losing it to Democrats in 2006."

"That said, things are looking good for the GOP, as it’s pretty likely they’ll take the House this year. Frankly, dozen seat buffer is well within the realm of possibility."

Enough? Or do I need to post a dozen more to prove that you and your insults are not worth the cyberspace in which they are posted?

Posted by: Lefty_ | May 26, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

oh, margaret, did I forget to mention Obama's lack of success in the area of foreign policy?

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

PLEASE, stop wasting our time. If you have a real point or something factual to add, feel free. Your constant diatribe against other posters is a waste of electrons. Go write a blog somewhere if it is only your voice you want to hear.

Posted by: jayjordan | May 26, 2010 9:15 AM
------

Calling out and exposing idiots is a worthwhile mission. Where's your insightful post? I must have missed it.

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

margaretmeyers wrote,
"lefty, I'm with you."

Now tell us something we didn't already know.

"Brigade's political insight this morning consists of "idiot," "moron," "tosh" and "nutjob.""

If the shoe fits, margaret and lefty . . .

"S/He's like that Angry Little Ladybug in the Eric Carl book: she picks fights with everyone but then says they aren't worth fighting with and quickly moves on."

You just miss the fights. But I understand. It doesn't take me long to finish them.

"We're all s t i l l waiting for his big idea."

That's because you don't recognize it when you trip over it. You spend too much time reading lib nonsense. Let me summarize again: Dem platform for 2010: Republicans dumb, Democrats not; Republicans racist, Democrats not. That's it!

Republican strengths: 63% want HCR repealed; 60% support Arizona immigration bill; 10% unemployment; Obama/BP oil gusher still going 37 days later; national debt crushing country---has increased dramatically since Obama came in;
etc., etc. Not saying Repubs will retake House and Senate in one election. I never underestimate the ignorance of voters.

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brigade
===========================================

Posted by: jayjordan | May 26, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

bebopin2: Idahoian? It's Idahoan. You sir/ma'am are no native.

Posted by: melissa4033 | May 26, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Nice to see Idaho Republicans showing sense in not electing this oaf. Does this mean Palin is beginning to lose her clout? Let us hope so.

Posted by: Aquarius1 | May 26, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

bebopin2: Idahioan? It's Idahoan. You sir/ma'am are no native.

Posted by: melissa4033 | May 26, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lefty_ | May 26, 2010 8:38 AM
-------

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: margaretmeyers | May 26, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Have you nothing to offer except insults? Where are your insightful contributions to the debate as you accuse others of offering nothing of value?

Posted by: Lefty_ | May 26, 2010 8:46 AM
-------

When I see intelligent posts, unlike yours, I'll respond accordingly. In the meantime . . .

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

It seems to finally be dawning on the GOP faithful, that they will not be "taking their country back" this November. The sooner the sane portions of the GOP understand that a world exists outside of the Fox News vortex, the better their chances of saving their party from extinction.

8 years of Bush-Cheney and 2 years of the "Party of No" have not been generous to the GOP. If they do not reinvent themselves soon, there may be no saving them.

R.I.P. GOP

Posted by: free-donny | May 26, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Young Guns?!?!?

"Macho, macho man
I've got to be, a macho man
Macho, macho man (yeah, yeah)
I've got to be a macho!"

Yet another silly offspring of the venerable Young Americans for Freedom. What's next? Young Cash Cows?

Posted by: st50taw | May 26, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

What an idiot. Go do some more crack Chris.
Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:16 AM

You probably should ask Obama about that, moron.
Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:18 AM

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:24 AM

Isn't there one single liberal posting here today who isn't a certified nutjob?
Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:27 AM
___________________________________________

Posted by: Lefty_ | May 26, 2010 8:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lefty_ | May 26, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

At least the Idaho Republicans rejected an outright plagiarist and liar. Now maybe the GOP will lobby to hold W and DICK Cheney accountable for their lies that led to the deaths of thousands of American soldiers in Iraq and a hundred thousand or more civilian deaths in that nation we invaded because of their lies.

Posted by: medogsbstfrnd | May 26, 2010 7:55 AM
-------

Isn't there one single liberal posting here today who isn't a certified nutjob?

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

The ex-governor's recent remarks incoherently attacking President Obama's reaction to the Gulf of Mexico oil splurge as too "doggone slow", were a further example of her breath-taking hypocricy.

Gush baby gush!

Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | May 26, 2010 5:30 AM
-------

I'll reference this post again, just so no one will miss this insufferable fool's tosh. I guess Chris Matthews and James Carville and all the other lefties who are now on Obama's case are hypocrites. The only thing breathtaking is your ignorance, Chris. But then you're a liberal, so what are we to expect?

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:24 AM | Report abuse

How's that "spill, baby, spill" thingy working for ya, Sarah?

Posted by: angie12106 | May 26, 2010 5:15 AM
---------

You probably should ask Obama about that, moron.

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

Gush baby gush!

Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | May 26, 2010 5:30 AM
-----

What an idiot. Go do some more crack Chris.

Posted by: Brigade | May 26, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

The teabaggers are going to make it tough for Republicans to ever get back to national prominence. While 85% of Teabaggers think their ideas are mainstream, 75% of Americans strongly disagree.

Republican hopes of taking Congress this year were slim at best, but Democrats have pulled ahead nationally and the teabaggers are submarining their best candidates. Easy contests like Idaho and Kentucky are now toss up races. Republicans have to make big moves to win this year, and every seat they have to fight to hold makes it that much more difficult.

I also wonder how many Republicans will stay in the party if the teabaggers take over, since nearly half of Republicans disagree with their movement.

Posted by: AxelDC | May 26, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: medogsbstfrnd | May 26, 2010 7:55 AM | Report abuse

Raul Labrador doesn't support amnesty. That was (another) one of Ward's lies:

Posted by: OttoDog | May 26, 2010 7:32 AM | Report abuse

sorry last one lab also is on record for wanting to repeal the 17th amendment, What the heck? how this became an issue I have no Idea. I am sorry how is giving state Legislatures the vote going to reduce beauracracy, or prevent an "old boys network" heck it is the de facto definition of both!!! How is takeing away rights from individuals a good thing? or conservitive? or pro constitution? More over I am the state *along with all citizens* so ipso facto our vote is not only an individual right, but an expression of states rights. ack sorry night all.

Posted by: bebopin2 | May 26, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

Realist20 hate to disagree but Minnick realy has been doing a good job, plus both canditates tore each other up, plus Lab from what I understand is pro amnisty even- open border (alegedly) - he is an immigration lawyer, heck one of the state reps almost blew a gasket that this guy even ran. and LDS, the latter *pardon the pun* is a mixed blessing probably better if he were 2nd district which has more of the Eastern Idaho - Utah border region.

Posted by: bebopin2 | May 26, 2010 6:35 AM | Report abuse

dematheart er actualy we have the worlds only tebagacrat... *grin* oy need to get to bed, sorry about the spelling Y'all.

Posted by: bebopin2 | May 26, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Ward plagarized an Obama speech....NOBODY wants another Obama in office, especially the Republicans. Once it was proven this guy plagarized from a hated figure like Obama, Ward's candidacy was finished, and correctly the REpublicans chose the right candidate...the one that will win the House seat easily!

Posted by: Realist20 | May 26, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Great to see a 1/2 term ex-gov know-nothing palin backed know-nothing t-bagger lose. The t-bagrepublicans and GOP are always wanting something for nothing...insisting on running ignoramouses for office when they are wholly unqualified--palin, for instance. The GOP don't care about our country and the t-baggers don't know about our country...so vote for the Dems and support our president, for the sake of this country.

Posted by: dematheart | May 26, 2010 6:11 AM | Report abuse

Listen as a native Let me tell you, this had as much to do with the fact his wife is an employee of fannie may (sp?) and he would go balistic if anyone even mentioned it. Plus the fact that his whole campaign seemed bought and packaged in New York City (NEW YORK CITY? - wanting salsa now ie goldman sachs...)plus he was a Hillary Clinton. A Helecoptor Idahoian, Backed by an Ex Idahoian, trying to tell REAL IDAHOIANS what to do. That plus the fact a somewhat atractive conservitive woman who hunts isn't that rare round here (heck alot look better and bow-hunt not helicopter hunt.) Kinda like Brown and his truck - pull that here and people would ask so? The fact is the DEMOCRAT - Walt Minick got endorced by the national tea party over Ward! *and Labrador was backed by the state tea party.* If he actualy lives here till next election and writes his own stuff *and isn't the Idaho campaign manager for McCain again* I might vote for him, maby, Nah...

Posted by: bebopin2 | May 26, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Wow - the Post is struggling to find ANYTHING good for the Dems. It doesn't matter who the wins the GOP nomination, they will destroy the Democrat if the clown voted with Obama. Looks like another seat of the GOP!

Posted by: Realist20 | May 26, 2010 6:08 AM | Report abuse

Another race gets decided on a local level. Idaho Republicans decide who they want in the general; Pennsylvania Democrats decide who they will have in the general.

Ward's agenda, like Tim Burns' agenda and like Doug Hoffman's agenda, offered nothing to the voters in this rural district and they KNEW it. The national parties need to stop seeing rural America as bed rock conservatives who reject Federal government and acknowledge that they depend on the Federal government. They do.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | May 26, 2010 6:01 AM | Report abuse

The Idaho primaries are hardly national news but it's good to see the Teapot Ward lose. As a candidate Ward showed himself up by not only not knowing that Puerto Rico was a possession of the US but by rolling in his ignorance.

The real interest here is not in Ward but in the "favorite daughter", Idaho's own, Miss Sarah Payment. What with a permanent spotlight trained on her by Fox entertainment her support for Ward was only a little less embarassing than her attempt to back away from her Drill-Baby-Drill cheerleading.

Gush baby gush!

Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | May 26, 2010 5:31 AM | Report abuse

Gush baby gush!

Chris Brown in Hamburg

Posted by: chrisbrown12 | May 26, 2010 5:30 AM | Report abuse

How's that "spill, baby, spill" thingy working for ya, Sarah?

Posted by: angie12106 | May 26, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

For all of his support at the national level, anyone has to admit that Ward proved himself a first-class idiot. Plagiarizing a major Obama campaign speech almost word-for-word, not knowing that Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, and on and on--how anyone thought that the guy could stand up to a race against Minnick baffles me. Weeding out imposters like Ward is precisely why we have campaigns and primaries.

Labrador may be something of an unknown, but it's hard to imagine that he will be worse than Ward. Starting as an unknown is much better than starting neck-deep in a hole, which is pretty much where Ward had put himself.

Curious, but unsurprising, that Palin's endorsement didn't carry much weight in her state of birth. Idahoans don't tend to put much weight in endorsements, especially when the candidate is a first-rate chump.

Posted by: blert | May 26, 2010 4:46 AM | Report abuse

Drill, Sarah Baby, Drill. LOL YO.

Posted by: edfunk1 | May 26, 2010 4:43 AM | Report abuse