About Chris Cillizza  |  On Twitter: The Fix and The Hyper Fix  |  On Facebook  |  On YouTube  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

Video: The Fix's Cillizza on Early Voting

The Fix's Chris Cillizza was on MSNBC earlier today to talk about Republican Party claims about early voting patterns favoring GOP candidates.

(MSNBC video)

By washingtonpost.com Editors  |  October 31, 2006; 4:30 PM ET
Categories:  Governors , House , Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Expanding House Playing Field
Next: Ohio Senate: Accusations Fly About Drug Laced Fruit

Comments

Chris Cilliza rules. You're on TV all the time now buddy. Keep it up! When is "The Fix: The book" gonna be on the shelves?

Posted by: Jimmy R | November 2, 2006 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Iowa

One thing to keep in mind that may be the cause for our Chicago freinds' humorous cynicism....

Notwithstanding Party differences and Pat Fitzgerald's penchant for picking off Daley loyalist, Junior considers Mayor Daley in Chicago a close freind to the point of being dinner buddies, and readily admits Daley is an political inspiration to him.

With Chicago's long fabled history, I am sure that Rove and the R foot soldiers have spent a great deal of time in Chicago taking good notes.

Posted by: Bob | November 1, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Bob,

While I agree that the "happy talk" from the GOP is an attempt to build enthusiasm, it does not mean they know the results from early voting. All it means based on pervious trends its good news for R; however, this year maybe different then pervious years given the scandals in Washington, anti-incumbent mood (especially with R), and probably the most important issue Iraq War. In terms of conspiracy and voter fraud, there has been almost no evidence this has occurred in recent elections. This of course does not stop people from writing about Urban Legends.

Posted by: Iowa | November 1, 2006 10:11 AM | Report abuse

'There is no conspiracy here'

And I have also heard also that Mr Rove is actually fairy tale character invented to show preschool children the value of telling the truth.

I agree that it is very ironic the the ghost (R) voters are getting play on Halloween.

My suspicion is that the announcement is 'happy talk' to build some enthusiasm among some dispirited R base.

Posted by: Bob | November 1, 2006 8:46 AM | Report abuse

'There is no conspiracy here'

Posted by: Bob | November 1, 2006 8:46 AM | Report abuse

How do they know? From what I understand, they can tell by watching what area early voter cards come from, what areas requested them heavily, and then see how will those areas match their legendary voting maps.
What I do notice that the GOP talking point didn't address was if Democratic areas had expressed less, the same, or more than normal. So while the factoid "we're seeing a lot of votes coming in from GOP-aligned area" may be true, it doesn't explain whether Democratic areas are also picking up steam. Also, it has no way of knowing if those historically-GOP areas are in fact GOP this cycle. Ideological changes may occur slowly, but even a point or two can matter.

Posted by: torrentprime | October 31, 2006 8:18 PM | Report abuse

In the WSJ article, the Rs feels confident because there are a lot of request for ballots coming from R. The article is free on-line. There is no conspiracy here; however, I am sure many will invent some.

Posted by: Iowa | October 31, 2006 6:05 PM | Report abuse

Besides. How would the Republicans know unless they had the electronic machines reporting back to the RNCC via wi-fi. I thought the early vote totals were kept confidential and not reported until all the votes were tallied?

Or maybe the poll operators were counting who used the palm cards they gave them.

Posted by: zippy | October 31, 2006 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Strange.

I thought the River wards were supposed to come in last to influence the final vote turnout.

I suppose it is appropriate for the grave yard vote comes out early (did anyone check if Dick Nixon is still a registered voter in Yorba Linda?)on Halloween

Posted by: poor richard | October 31, 2006 5:06 PM | Report abuse

YOu know what they say.

Vote Early and Often. The Chicago Way

Posted by: zippy | October 31, 2006 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Karl Rove and his merry men at Diebold have figured out a way to rig early voting.

You know. Electronically pack the ballot boxes before anyone can catch them!!!

Posted by: Chi-Town Hustler | October 31, 2006 4:58 PM | Report abuse