"Just Come Home," Rep. Paul Declares

An interesting moment just now when Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) was asked what the next steps in Iraq should be.

"Just come home," said Paul to raucous applause. It's a testament to how much public sentiment has turned against the war that a comment like that draws cheers.

Rep. Duncan Hunter (R-Calif.) used the question to attack Democrats for their support for leaving Iraq. That, too, drew applause.

-- Chris Cillizza

By Eric Pianin  |  August 5, 2007; 10:50 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Republican Debate in Iowa Begins
Next: Frontrunners Generally Agree on the War

Comments

During the debate when Dr Paul stated his position to leave Iraq, Mr Romney was saying over and over, "did he forget about 9/11?"

I wish Dr Paul would have responded to Mr Romney with the fact that Iraq had nothing to do with 9/11.

I support Dr Paul, but his debating skills could be improved. I still shudder during the fox debate when the moderator asked him if he was blaming america for 9/11. He should have said emphatically NO, but he didn't.

Posted by: JD | August 6, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm mad that i missed this debate.
I did notice that like usual, Ron Paul came out on top in all the post debate polls.

Posted by: 20cc0 | August 6, 2007 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul offers smaller government and more freedom.

That makes him a threat to politicians.

Posted by: Gene | August 6, 2007 11:07 AM | Report abuse

I just heard about Ron Paul about 2 weeks ago and have done a crash course study on the candidates. After seeing the debate and knowing where they stand on the issues - this "former" McCain supporter is now leaning towards supporting Ron Paul. I am intrigued to say the least.

Posted by: James N. | August 6, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Imagine all the people, keeping their own money, no Big Brother to spy on us, and no wars for Halliburton.
Imagine all the people governing themselves, no department of (Fill in the blank: ________ energy,irs,war,education,fuhrerland security,transportation,blahblahblahporkazoidpigthieves) ,just looking out for themselves,.........

You who may say that I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one, maybe some day you'll join us, with President Paul and the CONSTITUTION!

Posted by: Constitution Not constantly2shun | August 6, 2007 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Yesss, children, gather 'round The Ron as he dispenses his homespun wisdom. You will be SAAAAVED.

(Amen!) (Praise Ron!)

YAY-uss, you will be WASHED in the sweat of His Holy Libertarian Brow... can you FEEEL it?

(Ah feel it!) (Oh, praise Ron!) (THUMP)

YAY-uss, in the front row, SLAIN IN THE SPIRIT... somebody help her up, get her a glass of water... NAOOOOOW, we know, yes we do, we know that The Ron is facing a terrible struggle. They call him a 'fringe' candidate. They call him a, a 'dark horse.'

(No!) (Praise Ron!)

But Ah tell you, Ah tell you that Preacher Paul will persist in his platitudes, his perspicacious platitudes, until the DAY -

(Oooooohhhh... (THUMP))

Until the DAY, I tell you, when the Libertarian Light is Lit and Lifted for ALL to see, until we ALL have the OPP-uh-TOO-nuh-TEE to be bathed in His Wisdom, the creed of Low Taxes!

Minimal gov'mint!

(Yes! Praise Ron!)

No Education or Highway Departments!

(Praise...uh, what?)

NO nationally enforced saftey standards!

(Actually, wait a minute...)

NO nationally enforced standards for AN-uh-THING uh-t'ALL!

(Yeah... Listen, Ron, love to stay, but my daughter's school is having a School Committee meeting tonight? and I said I'd bring brownies. And my wife is late tonight in the law office... tax season, you know... so I should get going - what? Uh, sure. No, I don't have my wallet, it's in the car... yeah, but like I said, I'm really late... yeah, I'll send it... my address? Oh, I think I gave it to that guy over there... No, not him, the other guy... Listen, I really have to get going. I'll call you.)

Posted by: overheard at a Ron Paul rally | August 6, 2007 12:10 AM | Report abuse

SFE "He seems wacky, but I havent heard anything he's said that I'd disagree with"

Err so does that mean your wacky?

I guess I'm wacky too... a wacky American who believes in the constitution and the rule of law.

Posted by: Disabled Vet | August 5, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

The entrenched politicos can only remain in power so long as honest people with honest convictions are held at bay by the corporate media. Look who Warren Buffett is backing. Hillary Clinton who was co-president with William Jefferson Clinton when they were allowing the murder of Children, helpless woman and mostly unarmed Christians at the Waco massecre and they did not lift a finger to stop it nor did they charge these people for the murders they perpetrated with government complicity. These people have no concience.We need a man Like Ron Paul.

Posted by: Jean | August 5, 2007 8:41 PM | Report abuse

I didnt really know who Ron Paul was before this morning, but there's a LOT about him on the internet.
Too bad this guy wont get any serious consideration from the American voter.
He seems wacky, but I havent heard anything he's said that I'd disagree with

Posted by: SFE | August 5, 2007 8:39 PM | Report abuse

I watched the debate, and saw Rudy and Mitt talk about lowering taxes! Something neither one has done before, but it sounds good and might get them some votes, so hey, we'll say that! Ron Paul is running on his record and his convictions. The other guys are just politicians, saying whatever sounds good to get elected.

Posted by: William Berry | August 5, 2007 7:35 PM | Report abuse

I think it's a shame that Ron Paul gets so litle press. It just goes to show that the media promotes it's own agenda.

Posted by: Stacey Borg | August 5, 2007 7:11 PM | Report abuse

re:
Posted by: roo | August 5, 2007 04:23 PM
Vagabonds?

Right!
Sounds immature and irresponsible...Try reading sometimes, be suprised how much you will learn.

Ron Paul will reap contributions from those who understands his political views and realize he's a serious player.
'Special Interest Groups' speaking mostly of media whom is bought off to silence Dr Paul; there is still plenty of time to see a major break through for hopeful presidental candidate Ron Paul...Thinks its time to rent billboard space off Florida highways; now absorbed with hotels, restaurant, theme parks ads...
'FREEDOMS=RON PAUL for President 08'

Posted by: Pam in Florida | August 5, 2007 5:38 PM | Report abuse

I have voted Dem all my life, but this time I'm supporting Ron Paul. We need to take back our country from the neocons, and Paul can make it happen. Don't trust any of the frontrunners--deem or repub --to put the people first and the corporations second.

Posted by: Bo | August 5, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Heh, the Ron Paul vagabonds are here.. they roam the vast plains of the Internet to harp on any post that merely mentions the initials R.P.

The worst thing about Paul are his supporters :/

Posted by: roo | August 5, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Once AGAIN, the AP has CENSORED A WRITER WHO DARED TO MENTION RON PAUL. Take a look at these two links:

Up until Version 11 of the story, Ron Paul's "Just come home" comment is front and center. On ALL VERSIONS SINCE VERSION 12, Ron Paul is NOT EVEN MENTIONED.

AP's number is 212-621-1500 and I am going to raise you-know-what tomorrow. This is not the first time AP has changed a story about Ron Paul, either.

Posted by: musicmax | August 5, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Politics IS the problem.
The only straight-talker in either party
is Ron Paul.
Has this country had enough of the
steroid-mentality of the double-talkers to value the humbleness of truth?

Posted by: doug rubel | August 5, 2007 3:05 PM | Report abuse

I am neither a Democrat nor Republican. I am an AMERICAN FIRST. I think all the politicians should try being an AMERICAN FIRST just once. They may find they like it.
I believe that Congressman RON PAUL is the only one running that is actually following his OATH OF OFFICE To Protect and Defend the Laws, and Constitution of the United States. Not change either to suit their whelms. I wish we had 1 President, 100 Senators, 500 Congressman and 9 Supreme Court Justices JUST LIKE RON PAUL.

Posted by: Alton Rogers, Texas | August 5, 2007 2:17 PM | Report abuse

This man doesn't have the looks and charisma of a Elvis, Clooney, Dean or Gable but he ain't running for a spot on Hollywood Squares. The American people have a mind set with what a "politician" is suppose to look like and put more on that than what they know.
Look at the 56 men like Benjamin Franklin, John Morton, Thomas Lynch, Jr., and Philip Livingston, that sign the Declaration of Independences. Do you think that piece of paper had anything to do with the way a person looks.....I don't think so!
We the people don't need a person with Hollywood charisma only a person with common sense that knows how to put the word "Washington" back in D. C. boot all the special interest groups out, run the lobbyist out on a rail, put American History back in public school, jobs back in factories, giving the printing of money back to the people and telling the Federal Reserve (private bank) and all the rich nincompoops of the media to print the truth for a change.

Posted by: madmilker | August 5, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Just found out about RON PAUL!!!!

WOW ... this guy is great!

Get out of Iraq.
Seal our borders.
No amnesty to illegals.
Reduce Government.
Stop corruption.

this guy will surely be hated by BOTH PARTIES!

RON PAUL REVOLUTION 2008!

my whole family will vote for him if he gets on a ballot!

Posted by: Typical American Citizen | August 5, 2007 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Paul's comments were part of the lead of the AP wire story on the debate. That will be transmitted to every online news story across the country.

When you get a chance to think long and hard about the debate, ask yourself which moment stood out and think you'll agree it was the one where Paul said "Bring them home."

Posted by: Sean Scallon | August 5, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul clearly won the ABC debate according to there online poll, yet not one mention of it was in the media. Ive been flipping through the major news stations and everyone is talking about the so called front runners. WHY? How many debates does this guy have to win to get some attention.

Posted by: Andrew - Michigan | August 5, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

RON PAUL THE NEXT PRESIDENT 2008, THE ONLY CHANCE THAT AMERICA HAS TO EXIST AND TO BE AN AMERICA TOMORROW

Posted by: JIM | August 5, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse