White House Cheat Sheet: Happy Friday!

The White House at sunrise. AP Photo by Ron Edmonds

The Fix is off today but no morning would be complete without a little cheating -- in the Cheat Sheet of course.

The news you can use is below. Read it then go forth and prosper. Have a great weekend.

RNC Rakes It In: The Republican National Committee raised almost $5.8 million in April and ended the month with $24.4 million on hand, a rare bright spot for a committee whose chairman -- Michael Steele -- has struggled badly in his first few months on the job. Through the first four months of 2009, the RNC has raised $23.4 million as compared to the $17.7 million million collected by the Democratic National Committee between Jan. 1 and March 31. (April fundraising for the DNC has not yet been released.) When Steele was first elected RNC Chairman in January, one of the major concerns in the professional political class was whether he could raise the sort of money to keep the RNC competitive. Interestingly, fundraising has been Steele's strength to date while his skills as a spokesman -- thought to be his strong suit -- have betrayed him time and again.

Friday's Fix Picks: Did we mention we met Kyle Chandler and Connie Britton?

1. Nancy Pelosi ups the ante on interrogations.
2. Dick Cheney denied on demands for release of CIA memos.
3. Karl Rove to be interviewed today in U.S. Attorneys probe.
4. NARAL goes for New York Sen. Kirstin Gillibrand.
5. Marty Scorsese to direct bio pic on the Chairman of the Board.

Torsella Out in PA: To the surprise of no one, former National Constitution Center head Joe Torsella dropped his candidacy for the Democratic Senate nomination last night -- bowing to the political reality of Sen. Arlen Specter's (D) party switch. "Senator Specter's decision to join the Democratic Party transformed this election," said Torsella, adding that if he remained in the race it would likely descend into a "negative, personal" debate that was centered on "Senator Specter's past, not our common future." Torsella's decision to step aside turns the spotlight directly on Rep. Joe Sestak who continues to mull a primary campaign against Specter. Sestak, unlike Torsella, is widely regarded as an outsider to the political machine overseen by Gov. Ed Rendell and ended March with more than $3.3 million in the bank. Depending on where labor throws its support, Sestak could be a serious threat to Specter in the primary.

What To Watch For:

Burr Vulnerable, Sez Poll: New polling out of North Carolina affirms that Sen. Richard Burr (R) could be in for a tough reelection fight next year. In the Public Policy Polling survey, thirty-six percent of voters approved of the job Burr is doing while 32 percent disapproved; another thirty two percent offered no opinion -- a high number of undecideds common to robo-polling where there is no live interviewer. At issue for Democrats is whether they can convince state Attorney General Roy Cooper to challenge Burr. Cooper recently huddled with President Obama at the White House but even his closest aides admit they are not sure whether he will run or not. If Cooper, who is running even or ahead of Burr, takes a pass, the Democratic bench is somewhat thin -- although Sen. Kay Hagan (D) was far from the party's first choice in 2008 and she bested then Sen. Elizabeth Dole (R) by eight points.

From to Parven Pomper: Al From, the former head of the Democratic Leadership Council, has landed at Parven Pomper Strategies -- a lobby shop in Washington. From, however, will not lobby. PPS has made several high profile hires in recent years including Ali Lapp, a former campaign director at the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee.

Best iPhone Apps: We are running out of material . . . your three for the weekend: Google, Tweetie and Solitaire City.

Say What?: "I don't know where he's coming from on it." -- National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn (Texas) distances himself from remarks made by National Republican Congressional Committee chairman Pete Sessions (Texas) that suggested President Obama is purposely sabotaging the economy for political gain.

By Chris Cillizza  |  May 15, 2009; 5:30 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Fix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Slow-Hand Fix
Next: Friday House Line: The Inaugural 2010 Edition!

Comments

Testing comments.

Posted by: Bob_Greiner | May 22, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

jaked wrote: "For the record, at one point in our history, only 22% of Americans thought that slavery should be illegal in all circumstances."

"For the record," would you cite that poll? And maybe you could mention all the other things that 20% of the population has ever believed? It would all be an entertaining distraction from the fact that you cited a poll to support your position that basically undermines it.

"For the record."

"Next canard?"

Posted by: nodebris | May 18, 2009 12:49 AM | Report abuse

Nobama, et al., the prompt that says "Hello BreakNobama | Change Preferences | Sign Out" appears in the uppermost left corner of the Post homepage, but not necessarily on The Fix page.

Posted by: Nosy_Parker | May 17, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Torsella out? I thought he had a good shot at it. But on the other hand, Specter is pretty old. Torsella might make the party happy and get his shot in a few years anyway. Specter probably won't be running come 2016 and might even step down before then.

Posted by: theamazingjex | May 16, 2009 5:19 AM | Report abuse

I'll go to wallmart if my shopping list includes things like a bag of apples, a bookshelf, a mouse, and a new pair of jeans. Other than that, its just not worth the hassle of the long lines.

Posted by: DDAWD | May 15, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

yeah, amazon is a hybrid of sorts - really jsut an intermediary liek eBay.

==

I ordered the Kindle DX. Won't have it for a few weeks, maybe months, but that represents some pretty serious buy-in for a company that can't even keep track of their interviewees.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

BNB: I see no way on the profile page to change one's moniker. I don't think I ever selected my own, it's my ISP alias minus the domain.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

"Someone send me link showing me how to change my moniker and consider it done. i can't even figure out where "sign out" is!"

Waaaay up at the very, tippy top, above 'The Washington Post'. It should say:
Hello BreakNobama | Change Preferences | Sign Out

I don't know if you can change your name, but that is where you should look, if that is what you wish to do.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

"i live in ATL, but frequent the small shops in my area called E ATL"

"Nice town, Atlanta"
-- Wolf (Bruce M. Fischer) "Escape From Alcatraz" (1979)

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

chris-i thought you were going to say "raise prices". taht would be pretty smart too, but not nice, right?

It's been fun my friends, but i must go. see ya monday! let me knwo how to change my moniker.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

i mean competition is a good thing right.

==

Sometimes it's just a wasteful duplication of effort

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

But Wait There's More: sometimes WalMart moves in, opens a store, competes the smaller local stores out of business, then some sharp-pencilled little smarty at the head office decides that the store in BFE isn't doing enough to maximize shareholder value, and closes it down.

Now the WM jobs are gone, and there is nowhere else to shop, the little businesses are gone too. Now people have to drive 70 miles to buy groceries and medicine.

Low prices do not paint the whole picture.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

chris-

yeah, amazon is a hybrid of sorts - really jsut an intermediary liek eBay.

excoriate? well, i am sure they do terrible things. btw - i shop at both the mom and pops and walmart. i shop sometimes on price, sometimes on convenience, sometimes on quality, etc. i guess i am just not going to jump up on my soapbox and declare walmart enemy number one (not that you were either). i mean, really yes economics is supply and demand to me and in reality the mom and pops, relatively speaking, have been over charging us from day one. i mean competition is a good thing right. or is that the point of your argument, that true free enterprise is not always good...

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Aside: I've interviewed at Amazon a few times (never again), and learned about their inventory system. It's pretty damned impressive. I spend a lot there, expensive physics texts I struggle through, but mostly I buy from resellers, and most of the books I get in the mail from them look hand-packaged, so in the end I use a faceless corporation to support mom-and-pop sellers, at least it feels that way.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

But, they offer healthcare and A JOB in many rural towns where otherwise they wouldn't have work.

ALSO - this is IMPORTANT - you stated "enrich some company that achieved those low prices with practices I find abhorrent". Low prices aren't just achieved through low pay. in MBA school, as case study aout of HArvard that we studied was that of walmarts distrubtion system. they implemented just-in-time inventory practices via their point of sale registers. they had trucks arriving daily to refill orders automatically placed by the computer because one was recorded as having been sold via the register. it reduced their inventory costs etc drastically, further allowing cheap prices!

==

Uh, wrong. When WalMart moves in they undersell local businesses that can't afford international trade agreements, and people lose their jobs as those mom-and-pops go out of business. As someone with an MBA you probably think this is cool, as someone who regards economics as a pseudoscience with the rigor of phrenology or Creation Science, I don't. Again, you are focusing on one factor, bang for buck, and ignoring others.

Like I said: two WM jobs cost three better-paying jobs in the community. I would rather the mom-and-pops survived. Low costs are not the whole picture.

If they have an integrated inventory system as you say, I applaud it. But I've already said I am willing to give credit where due, yet you seem most reluctant to excoriate where due.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

chris-

i live in ATL, but frequent the small shops in my area called E ATL - so i get 100% what oyu are saying. but wifey and i also shop at walmart a few times a year - you just can't beat their prices on household goods etc.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Chris, i will not disagree with you in taht i will not vilify "big business". the walmarts have done a lot for the little guy [through rock bottom prices].

Simplistic.

For every two jobs WalMart creates, three are lost in the community. Look it up.

And while I like low prices as much as anyone, I feel a sense of civic responsibility (oh dear I used that terrible word) and would rather pay more at a local non-franchise store than enrich some company that achieved those low prices with practices I find abhorrent.

You can focus on one factor at the exclusion of all others, but it's not very accurate and it's not very honest.

I'm on the fence about WalMart right now. They are bending to pressure to improve labor practices (people with full-time jobs should not need food stamps to make ends meet but WM employees are counseled on how to apply as part of orientation; I am not cool with this), and they are pushing--no, leading--on energy conservation. Credit where due.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

wow, chris, that is a lot to swallow. well, then i suppose he was on a death mission. but, good golly, waht they did to him was, well, there are no words for it!

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Yes Chris - i did notice that you werent calling names and i appreciate it.

your constructive criticism is duly noted - perhaps my moniker is a bit overzealous and divisive. i just might change it - change we could all believe in. ;)

-Gay rights are just that.
-Depends on the age of the "baby". i don't believe in partial birth - that's and easy one.
-Raising taxes WOULD affect me. Fortunately, depending on your persepctive, my wife and i are in that class where the increase would affect out top tax bracket and thus our marginal tax rate as well.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

i love the way you stated it. perfect. i had not thought about motive. of course motive could be established using hatred. but the PENALTY should be no diff. i am sorry you've had friends hurt - i will never forget the story of matthew shepperd (sp?)!!!!! disgusting!!!

Thanks.

Hate to follow agreement with disagreement but I have zero sympathy for Matthew Shepard. I know a little more about him than most. He was a violently self-destructive kid who was turned on by risk and had already been assaulted many times for coming on to rough rednecks. No he did not deserve what happened to him, nobody does, but he was on a self-destructive course and clearly wanted to die.

On a class trip to Morocco he snuck out at night looking for sex and got gang-raped.

A few months before his death he came on to a redneck bartender in Cheyenne and got the crap beat out of him.

He liked to get dropped off at clubs with no ride home so he had to go home with someone.

At 21 he was already HIV+

No poster boy for hate crime, sorry.

And oh, I'm a gay man.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

No, "BreakNoBama," I am hung up on accuracy and have been since I was an infant.

Your moniker is offensive and you could easily have chosen one that expresses your affiliation without verging on an assassination wish. And when you employ the intentionally dishonest language of the talk-radio right, you have stereotyped yourself and any inaccuracy or presumption is your responsibility.

Do you refer to equality for gays under the law as "special rights" too? To abortion as "killing babies?" To restoring the progressive income tax as "raising taxes," implying that ours would go up too?

Your words about the CC companies are right there for anyone to read, and it sure sounds to me like you side with the userers against their victims.

Not calling you names at the moment, you notice.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

Chrisfox-

We agree! [fireworks!]

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

chrisfox-

i used that phrase only because it was easier than listing a bunch of different classes. i am not some mindless minion with my talking points. i am trying to have a discussion. do you or do you not think hate crime legislation has merit and should be allowed. or do you think that murder is murder regardless of the victim? all i hear is your incessant insistence that i have some ulterior motive than that of a discussion over my lunch. [yes, i am trying to finish this stinkin' salad in front of me].

i am sorry you don't like my moniker - i've already explained to drindl earlier that it simply means breaking him in the sense of that of pelosi. perhaps it could have been better worded but i must admit you seem to be quite hung up on semantics/diction.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Motive.

Assailant goes to court and claims he had no reason to attack the victim, he's not connected to the victim in any way.

Prosecution points out that victim is gay and assailant is a homophobic cretin.

Motive established.

No "hate crime" charge, however. Assault charge.

Get it?

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

chrisfox-

i am confused by your comments. are we agreeing and don't realize it?

==

No chance of that. You're referring to "protected classes," which is an inflammatory right-wing distraction meant only to divert the discussion.

In reality, people are assaulted and murdered because of their race or sexual orientation or other characteristics. I have had friends who were maimed for life by such attacks. It really does happen.

When you use language like that, when you post under a moniker that suggests an assassination wish, you look a little silly twisting your handkerchief lecturing about civility and presumption.

And then you say that anyone who pays his CC bills on time never has any problems. What do you expect?

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 2:03 PM | Report abuse

chrisfox-

i am confused by your comments. are we agreeing and don't realize it? perhaps i wasnt clear. gay man murdered is NO worse than white woman murdered - IMHO - period. murder is murder regardless of waht one says while murdering the vitcim. and thus, punishment should be equal, WITHOUT consideration for ones thoughts [and thus speech], reagrdless of whether you can label it a hateful.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Simon-

I concur and that is why when i vote my proxies every year i vote accordingly. Recently i have voted to separate the CEO and Chairman positions, i have voted down almost all incentive pay packages, e.g. - stock options, voted for cumulative voting, voted for election of directors annually versus every 3 years, etc.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

==

You can't help but lie, can you. The "protected class" thing is a distraction. As though someone who assaults someone else while calling him a "Christian pig" or a "white" something or other is any less subject to the law than someone attacking a gay man or a black man.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

"did you see in the WSJ that he intends to try and regulate pay for ALL financial firms, not just those receiving gov't assistance. REGULATE PAY"

I didn't see that. As a shareholder, I agree that executive pay is astronomically exhorbitant to the level that corporate boards are not living up to their fiduciary duties to us owners - but agree that it is not the job of gov't to set pay scales.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

chrisfox-

ya know the fund diff tween you and me? i tell you my opinions adn you attack me as if i have some agenda [against you] call me a liar, blah,blah,blah. wtf man?!

i said exactly wwaht you said regarding why i think hate crimes laws are no good - my point no 2. right here: "IF a murder occurs against someone from a protected class is it really worse than any other murder, i.e. - should the perp be punished more harshly? Doesn't that then therefore inherently discount the murder of someone from a non-protected class?"

as for the Cross country thing i stopped reading when you got all hysterical calling me a liar as if i am an agent of the bank or something. !!!!

grow up man. learn to have a civil discussion. jsut geez.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

==

Uh, a free word of advice. Don't run around calling yourself a libertarian if you want any respect. You may think it sets you apart, and it does, but not in any good way.

It just so happens I too am against hate crime laws, because I believe that existing laws against murder, assault, and malicious mischief, fairly enforced, should cover such crimes.

But to write that people get would arrested for "thoughts" is a distortion so extreme it merits the designation of falsehood. Before charges are filed someone has gotten hurt.

When you need to lie to make your point, you don't have one.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

==

Now you're just compounding the dishonesty, pretending there are legal channels that a consumer can appeal to and win against a credit card company. I called you a lickspittle before and I do so again.

I charged $70 of merchandise and paid the entire balance well before the first minimum payment was due. They ended up charging me over $800 anyway. What recourse did I have? None. I made arrangements to close the account, scrupulously kept my end of those arrangements, and when I got new bills with new charges and called them they said they knew nothing about any arrangements.

There are millions in this country who have had similar experiences. You claim they're all irresponsible people who don't pay their bills and you fawn over the corporations, like some classroom snitch sucking up to authority. Nauseating.

==

btw mr chris - i am a libertarian, not a republican

==

Out the frying pan, into the fire. Okay, so you want to bring back slavery too. No thanks.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

There is a discussion to be had about whether hate crimes legislation is necessary or prudent.

But for a TV preacher to go nuts on it and call it 'pure evil' is surreal.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Simon-

Valid point my friend - as Jake from Two & Half men would say, "touche"!

But, my real point is i am a terrible typist and trying to work, at least a little, and therefore it would be a long, arduous debate.

I am not talking about TARP. For example - he exchanged the gov't preferred stock (a debt instrument) in Citi for common stock (equity ownership). although this is not precedent setting (see chrysler in the 70s) it has lead his admin to institute other more far reaching policies. for example, did you see in the WSJ that he intends to try and regulate pay for ALL financial firms, not just those receiving gov't assistance. REGULATE PAY! If that is not scary to you then we are merely arguing ideologies which will ultimately lead us nowhere.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

"you act as if i am the only one making this conclusion. "

hardly. every dittohead out there parrots the exact same crap.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you drindl, no US admin, not clinton, not bush, not BO (although it is early) has done enough to stop the disgusting, genocidal atrocities being committed in Darfur. BUT, what should we do? You wouldn't condone military action, right, so waht is the solution? It is horrific though.

I am not a religous zealot but will not attack JD on his Christian beliefs. I will agree with him though in that hate crime legislation/laws have no place in American Rule of Law. As a libertarian it is fundamentally wrong to punish someone for their THOUGHTS. Additionally, inherently the logic is flawed. IF a murder occurs against someone from a protected class is it really worse than any other murder, i.e. - should the perp be punished more harshly? Doesn't that then therefore inherently discount the murder of someone from a non-protected class?

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

bsimon1:

Are you arguing that the U.S. government does not effectively own AIG, GM, and Chrysler?

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

"he is back dooring his way into gov't control of banks and car companies, albeit one could argue necessarily, which is another lengthy debate for another time."

And lengthy debates really cut into one's ability to use misleading shortcut talking points.

Nothing the guy proposed during the campaign, or has said since then implies he wants the gov't to take over the means of production. But as soon as he took over the TARP program passed & initiated during the Bush administration, the nuts can't stop screaming "SOCIALISM! SOCIALISM!" - and worse, of course.

Yep. Debating the nuance of policy is hard work. Its much easier to call each other names.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, BreakNobama. One of them on another thread said "Everyone who reads JakeD's comments thinks that he's a moron." So, I just want to make sure that was not true : )

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Jake-

I don't recall saying such and i have no real opinion of you jake, not taht it should matter to you.

drindl- all i hear is crickets chirpin'. care to reveal how much of your hard earned (presumably) cash you GAVE to the gov't? didn't think so. you are welcome.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

drindl-

Focus drindl, focus. i've already stated in a previous post that his voting record was the most liberal in the senate, more liberal than that of a self-avowed socialist.

So, ya see drindl, it is called deductive reasoning. coupled with his policies/views and yes, i'd say his is closer to a true socialist at heart than he is to a true capitalist.

you act as if i am the only one making this conclusion. typical.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 1:17 PM | Report abuse

BreakNobama:

Do you think that I am a "moron"?

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it bizarre what rightwing christianistas [because they are sure NOT christians] get frantic about? Is it the serious prblem of hunger in children? Darfur, maybe? No, it's a hate crimes bill. He's all freaked out that congress passed a bill to punish hate crimes. Welcome to bizarro world.

"Focus on the Family’s James Dobson yesterday used his daily broadcast to complain about the hate crimes legislation that recently passed the House. Dobson called it “utter evil” and said it will “undermine the rule of law and seriously damage morality and decency in the culture.” Dobson frequently rails against various cultural issues. But as Dan Gilgoff at U.S. News notes, what was different in this broadcast was Dobson’s utter hopelessness:

I want to tell you up front that we’re not going to ask you to do anything, to make a phone call or to write a letter or anything.

There is nothing you can do at this time about what is taking place because there is simply no limit to what the left can do at this time. Anything they want, they get and so we can’t stop them."

But the last part made me laugh.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

"none of us can read his heart, but my bet his views are socialistic."

so having no proof, you just make sh*t up. typical.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

I thought i would share with you guys, ya know for agitation purposes mainly, my giddiness at opening my just rec'd package which contains my new remington 18.5" police/security barrel.

Home invaders beware!

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:47 PM | Report abuse

BreakNobama:

Obama is, indeed, on the path to socialism. For gawd's sake, he just FIRED the head of GM and Chrysler! Other government services like SOCIAL Security and the National Park Service are already the very definition of "socialism" -- keep up the good work -- don't let them bully you.

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

drindl-

I apologize, I am sorry for stoopin' to your level.

splittin' hairs aren't ya. i didn't say we were a socialist nation - i said BO was a socialist. none of us can read his heart, but my bet his views are socialistic. he is back dooring his way into gov't control of banks and car companies, albeit one could argue necessarily, which is another lengthy debate for another time. BUT the man def leans socialist.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:35 PM | Report abuse

drinl-

Obviously we must ALL contribute and pay taxes. I only espouse smaller taxes. Do you pay income taxes drindl? how much did you pay in income taxes in 2008 drindl? I paid $22k in fed, $8k in state, and another $12k in FICA. That is more than $40k in JUST income taxes, so cut me some slack.

the problem is that roughly 50% of americans pay no fed or state income tax (just FICA).

Can anyone say FairTax?
www.FairTax.org

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

"i agree, generally you get waht you pay for, but hoinestly i don't trust the gov't with my money. and therefore the smaller the gov't the better.

yeah, pawlenty is a stand up guy."

I actually don't think Pawlenty is a stand up guy. He's full of talk, but light on action. I do think he should now attempt to prove that small government is better - but i'm predicting he will fail in the eyes of voters.

It is certainly fair to criticize government for its shortcomings - there are plenty. The problem is that eliminating government isn't necessarily the better solution. What we should be focusing on as citizens & taxpayers is getting maximum value for our dollar. Oftentimes, spending fewer dollars is a false economy.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

"watch big mouth, "

speaking of pot calling kettle black. here's laughing at you.

socialism:

a theory or system of social organization that advocates the vesting of the ownership and control of the means of production and distribution, of capital, land, etc., in the community as a whole."

We do not have that in the US -- anywhere.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

drindl-

watch big mouth, just watch, pelosi is done - period.

i don't know what socialism means? seriously? have in the heck do you know what i know? huh? i absolutely do know what it means and he is a sociaslist plain and simple. did you know that BO had the MOST liberal voting record in the senate prior to running for office, more liberal then Bernie Sanders, the self avowed socialist?

funny how any one whom disagrees with you flips burgers and live in their parents basement. pot meet kettle.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

See, I told you so. BreakNobama, don't even bother with them.

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 12:19 PM | Report abuse

BSsimon -

yeah, pawlenty is a stand up guy. and you are right we all have gotten accustomed for way too long to living beyond our means, the individual, the business and the gov't. all of us. our parents didn't think it to be a RIGHT to have a cell phone, two cars, big house with a two car garage, vacations 2x a year, big screen, healthcare, college education, etc. except healthcare all those things are to be EARNED. the healthcare issue is much trickier so i will steer clear for now.

soooo.....people should pay for their own sh1t is waht i say. they should spend their evenings getting their MBA, studying for tests to obtain special designations, instead of bithin' when i have more stuff and demanding the gov't take from me to give to them. lazy dolts.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"the name means break him, like we have broken pelosi."

ROFLOL. 'we'?

she ain't broken and 'you' have accomplished nothing. it's amazing the illusion of power a bunch of trolls lving in basements have. it's a joke.

And try to learn the meaning of words before you use them. You have no idea what the word 'socialism' even means.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

'Small government" = low quality of life.

Try lving in a 3rd world country with filthy drinking water and no cops for a while and see how you like it. You might be happy to pay taxes.

Or for an example here at home, all the thousands of americans who have been poisoned by our own food supply after the regulatory system was defunded under bush.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

drindl -

you are right, i don't know if you ever attacked Bush.

the name means break him, like we have broken pelosi. the man is smart, super smart, but his socialist policies stink, IMHO, and thus i want to limit the passage of said policies, hence Break Nobama.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

BreakNobama:

There's no reason for name-calling, but that won't stop "chrisfox8" or "drindl".

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

hey chrisfox-

again, there is no reason for the name calling and insults!

i don't know what your personal issues are and i bet over a beer we would agree on this sh1t. i will say it again thoguh, with the caveat that it sucks they screwed you, follow the legal channels avail to you. if they lied, misled, etc then they broke the law [i woudl think] and thus you should have some recourse.

btw mr chris - i am a libertarian, not a republican - never claimed to be one. and thus i don't think corp america is evil (sorry to let you down) but i am also not an apologist, as you insinuate, for corp america. but overregulation isnt the answer either - in the long run it only increases costs, decreases incentive for new technology, growth, etc.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

"i'll tell you where these comments are headed - RAISING TAXES. Hoe do you guys feel about that?"

Its a bit more refreshing than the claim that we can cut our taxes while incresing spending & propserity will result.

Here in MN there's a budget impasse - revenue has fallen, prior budgetary gimmicks have come home to roost & the Governor has vetoed proposed tax increases. It appears the legislative session will expire before another budget bill can be written & sent to the Gov. He has promised there will be no special session & he will use various tools of the executive office to cut spending down to reflect revenue. I think its actually refreshing - he is going to give Minnesota a taste of what small government means. I suspect the voters are not going to find small government to their liking - and in 18 short months will vote for a tax & spend governor to come in and clean up this mess. Quite frankly, we're accustomed to a fairly high quality of life - and higher taxes are a cost associated with that. Personally, I'm willing to pay for quality. I get mad when I pay for crap.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Why the name, then?

I never, ever attached Bush.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

deadon BSsimon-

you are right buddy - and i read that i jsut dont type well (can you tell) and this can't right everything. i get he is trying to make it MORE legal and give them more rights, which i have mixed emotions about, but at least he isn't foolish enough to really think they should be tried here, in US courts, with ALL the protections of a US citizen.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

BNB: your lickspittle defense of the CC companies is nauseating. That they have bills to pay has nothing to do with lying to customers or generating phony excuses to charge extra fees. But then you're a lying gooper troll and loyal to a self-destructing party so holding views contrary to your own self-interest isn't all that surprising.

And by the way, I carry zero CC debt myself. My only debt in the world is my mortgage, and that will be paid off in a few months.

But Cross Country Bank ripped me off, and I was never late on a payment, nowhere near; they lied to me when I opened the account. And they would not close it, and I made one arrangement after another to close it and held up my end, they didn't hold up theirs.

You're dumb and dishonest.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I find it funny that so many gopers feel so much concern over the plight of the poor multinational corporations who are charging people caught in their web 41% interest rates.

Any sympathy for the american victims of these profitable off-shoring, tax-evading predators? Nah.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 12:01 PM | Report abuse

jaked wrote: "GOP better be paying attention:"

And yet according to the same report, only 22% of Americans feel abortion should be illegal in all circumstances, whereas 21% feel it should be legal in all circumstances and 53% feel in should be legal in some circumstances, for a total of 74% who believe abortion should be legal.

So yeah, the GOP should be paying attention.

Don't bet on it, though.

Posted by: nodebris | May 15, 2009 12:00 PM | Report abuse

BreakNobama- that's a good link. But I think you misunderstand the President's position on tribunals, Gitmo & detainees.

The people accusing the President of flip-flopping on military tribunals are the same people who claim he's some kind of radical leftist. What he is actually trying to do is finding a way to deal with these prisonsers legally. If they need to be imprisoned, they need to be tried & proved guilty - its as simple as that. The Supreme Court has ruled several times that the military tribunals as setup by the Bush Admin were not appropriate. The Obama administration is trying to remedy those legal shortcomings in order to hold trials so we can justifiably sanction these people - whether imprisonment or other appropriate actions.

From the telegraph article:
"In one of his first acts as president, Mr Obama obtained a 120-day suspension of the military commissions established at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba that was seen as the death knell for one of the Bush administration’s key platforms in the war on terror.

He is expected to ask for an additional 120-day delay in nine pending cases to revamp the trials.

Mr Obama is asking US Congress to expand the rights of defendants to ban evidence gained from torture or cruel treatment, limit the use of hearsay testimony and give detainees more rights to pick their own lawyers.

He wants some defendants to face trial in the civilian court system.
But aides said the president now plans to retain the Bush administration’s military commissions to try a smaller number of about 20 terror suspects."

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Drindl-

Again, how is your question warranted? i wish no harm to Nobama. i just don't agree with him most of the time. i guess taht is your real problem with me, right. funny though - it seems y'all constantly attached Bush for everything he did and y'all DID IN FACT wish harm upon him. so spare me your hypocrisy pls.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

"Well, i'll tell you where these comments are headed - RAISING TAXES. Hoe do you guys feel about that?"

How I feel is that I don't worry about what someone like you imagines is going to happen.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Chrisfox8-

Don't you think your post was a bit much? horsewhipped?

Don't let a few bad apples ruin the bunch. There are bad actors in all fields, industries, etc. So what if Cross country bank was doing this. use legal channels to fix things for i am sure waht they did was illegal, right? otherwise, quit your sniveling. CC Cos have bills to pay, just liek you and me. watch - the end affect will be HIGHER CC rates for all. the fees they charge serve a purpose - e.g. - much needed revenue.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

==

I'm cool with it. But then I'm a responsible citizen who pays his bills and his dues, not some tea-partying gooper troll with Limbaugh on the radio

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 11:52 AM | Report abuse

You goopers have missed the point as usual.

(1) John Yoo wrote that it would be legal to crush a child's testicles in front of his father to geth the father to talk

(2) KSM's 7- and 9-year-old sons were captured before he was, and are nowhere to be found

(3) Seymour Hersch wrote that some of the photos and videos showed children being tortured and sodomized

That's why Obama had to block the photos.

Proud of yourselves, goopers? They were "keeping us safe," right? YOU guys should be waterboarded .. cinder block around the ankles and into the Potomac.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Comments (see below) from BO today are true but WTF? No kidding BO! Economists have been screaming the same thing for the last two months. But waht to do? He is spending like a drunken sailor in port. Well, i'll tell you where these comments are headed - RAISING TAXES. Hoe do you guys feel about that?

"President Barack Obama, calling current deficit spending “unsustainable,” warned of skyrocketing interest rates for consumers if the U.S. continues to finance government by borrowing from other countries.

“We can’t keep on just borrowing from China,” Obama said at a town-hall meeting in Rio Rancho, New Mexico, outside Albuquerque. “We have to pay interest on that debt, and that means we are mortgaging our children’s future with more and more debt.”

Holders of U.S. debt will eventually “get tired” of buying it, causing interest rates on everything from auto loans to home mortgages to increase, Obama said. “It will have a dampening effect on our economy.”

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 11:46 AM | Report abuse

JakeD would rather have women dying from back-alley abortions than obtaining them legally.

Like we really need an even faster-growing population. Like it really bloody matters if a blastocyst goes down the medical waste jar.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 11:45 AM | Report abuse

"I don't know where he's coming from on it." -- National Republican Senatorial Committee Chairman John Cornyn (Texas) distances himself from remarks made by National Republican Congressional Committee chairman Pete Sessions (Texas) that suggested President Obama is purposely sabotaging the economy for political gain."

Wow, is everyone with that last name a nutcase?

Posted by: DDAWD | May 15, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Obama is worried about what credit card companies do to consumers. He has nothing to say about consumers ripping off credit card companies. Pay your bill on time and you won't have to pay either any penalties or interest. Simple as that.

==

Another day, another gooper post, one or more lies in each sentence.

Google Cross Country Bank, troll. I guess all those people reporting ripoffs are lying? Taking the trouble to do long detailed accounts of how they were lied to, just to make excuses?

Sometimes I wished we were back in the Puritan times so peole who told lies could be put into the pillory and horsewhipped..

Posted by: chrisfox8 | May 15, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

"BreakNobama" why do you wish to harm the President?

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I think BO discovered it is hard to follow through with the things he promised on the trail relevant to enemy combatants. he is now [wisely] finding it very difficult to close gitmo, try the militants in US courts, end rendition, end EITs, et al. I praise him for not cox towing tot eh code pink crowd, et al and realizing the safety of this country trumps their concerns. well done Nobama, well done.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Drindl-

Don't know where that question comes from - i.e. - how is it warranted and thus i will proffer the same question to you:

Drindl - Why do you hate America?

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

mark_in_austin:

Thanks. What do you think about Obama bringing back military tribunals?

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

oh look, most gopers want cheney to just go away...

But cheney doesn't care about the republican party. he cares about covering his own butt... about the fact that the orders to torture iraqis came straight from his office -- and the only reason was to elicit false confessions to make a case for invading Iraq.

Cheney has made over $100 million dollars in war profiteering since then.

That's what kind of beast he is, and getting increasingly loud and so cowardly he's sending out his own kid to defend the use of medieval torture methods.

"57 percent of GOP insiders think Cheney has ‘hurt the Republican Party since leaving office.’

Since leaving office, former Vice President Dick Cheney has been perhaps the most prominent conservative critic of the Obama administration. But his refusal to leave the public stage has many Republicans wincing. In the latest National Journal poll of GOP insiders, 57 percent said that Cheney has “hurt” the party since leaving office:

Speaking to National Journal anonymously, many of the insiders harshly denounced how he has acted since leaving office. “Cheney represents the grumpy intolerance that has come to characterize the GOP. Get off the stage!” said one. “There is nothing Dick Cheney can say or do to help the Republican Party today,” said another. “The best thing he can do is disappear for the next 10 years.”

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 11:09 AM | Report abuse

BreakNoBama says
"i still say Pelosi really stepped in it this time adn should stop digging at this point."

No argument here.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

"BreakNobama" -- why do you hate America?

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

ddawd writes
"I don't see the problem with keeping terrorists in American prisons. If you take away their explosives, are they really any scarier than the guys we already have there?"

Part of the reason for keeping detainees in a place like Gitmo is that Gitmo is not US soil - and therefore (or so the legal theory goes) they are not subject to US law. To put them in US prisons, they will have to be tried & convicted in US courts. The suspicion is that the evidence we have against these guys was gained illegally - through torture or other illegal methods - which makes it extremely difficult to convict them in an open, public trial.

So, to summarize, the people who want to keep Gitmo open are arguing that we should be the kind of country that incarcerates people indefinitely (or perhaps in perpetuity) without formally charging them with a crime and giving them a chance to defend themselves or challenge their accusers.

Is that the kind of country we want to be?

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Well, I've paid late by accident to a CC company a few times in my life and never had any problems getting the fees, apr fixed. But those weren't recent and not relevant. Now on the other hand we paid Bank of America late in December and yeah, they hit us with late fees and the intro rated disappeared. I called and fought them and they reversed the late charge but the new apr was to stay - so we paid it off. I know that not all folsk can just pay it off but that is not really the banks problem either. I mean the contract said if we paid late during the intro period then bam! new apr. so....

Of course the CIA is complicit in being intellectually dishonest at times - it is essentially par for the course, but i still say Pelosi really stepped in it this time adn should stop digging at this point. Did you see how nervous she was yesterday at her press conf? i acutally ALMOST felt sorry for her - almost.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Good old Tinfoilhat Sessions, otherwise known as king of zouk. Or any of the indistinguishable horde of insect mind drudgites that were on here yesterday. You know what's really eerie about those people? How you honestly can't tell one from another. They really do seem to share one connected hive mind, with less individduality and personality than ants. Actuallys, ants are far more interesting.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Hey I just saw you on the street. Frankly, if it were my day off I wouldn't spend it in Tenleytown.

Posted by: Nick24 | May 15, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse

The CIA lie? No, never. Impossible.

Posted by: drindl | May 15, 2009 10:47 AM | Report abuse

"Is there anyone left out there who does not believe that Nancy Pelosi is lying about her CIA briefings on waterboarding?"

It could very well be the case that Speaker Pelosi is lying, or, at a minimum, failing to recollect what she knew and when she knew it. That does not mean the CIA isn't lying too.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

And I don't see the problem with keeping terrorists in American prisons. If you take away their explosives, are they really any scarier than the guys we already have there?

Posted by: DDAWD | May 15, 2009 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, I knew it was alliterative.

But you can't possibly think the credit card companies are faultless. Yeah, people should pay on time, but the companies do a lot to make this difficult. They will do things like "lose" payments and stuff. Look into it. There's a lot of shenanigans going on.

And no, nobody has much faith in Pelosi now.

Posted by: DDAWD | May 15, 2009 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Dawd-

That was Chris "Chandelier" Chandler.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

A few thousand people are receiving stimulus checks from the government this week. They won't be able to cash them. That would be because they are dead. The looters are taking your money, and borrowing money from your grandchildren, and sending that money to dead people. Isn't it going to be just so much fun when these people are controlling your health care? "No, you can't have that knee replacement. You're dead."

PrezBO says that the current rate of deficit spending by the federal government is "unsustainable." He says interest rates are going to go up for US consumers. Why? Because the government is competing with the consumers to borrow money. High demand, lower supply = higher cost. For those of you educated in government schools, this means higher interest rates. Obama's projected deficit for this year alone is over $1.8 trillion dollars versus 454 billion for Bush last year, i.e. - 4 TIMES Bush's!

Democrats have a real problem with Gitmo. Now they're suddenly realizing the value of Gitmo as a place to park terrorists. Their reckless campaign promises to close Gitmo down are coming back to haunt them. They know that closing Gitmo is not good for the country .. but its party before country for Democrats.

The only people who really think that Obama's grandiose plans for health care "reform," (government control) will actually work live in Washington DC.

The Postal Service has raised the price of their product because fewer people are using it. Only in the wonderful world of government would this type of reasoning prevail.

Posted by: BreakNobama | May 15, 2009 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Kyle Chandler...didn't he play QB for the Atlanta Falcons?

Posted by: DDAWD | May 15, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

BOOK DEAL AT THE END OF ARLEN'S DEMOCRAT RAINBOW?

The Specter party switch could end up being the final act in a distinguished but controversial political career.

Don't discount the possibility that Arlen plans to retire and throw his full support behind Sestak -- and that Fast Eddie himself may have signed off on that strategy before he fully embraced the Specter switcheroo.

Remember that Arlen Specter was a witness to some of the most pivotal historical events in modern-day America (the initials "JFK" come to mind) -- and that book publishers would gladly offer him multimillions for a tome that finally told the whole truth about some of 20th century America's greatest geopolitical mysteries.

It would take Specter some time to collaborate with a ghostwriter on what surely would be one of the biggest political tell-alls of all time -- if Arlen decides to open up and tell "the rest of the story."

The betting here is that he will -- and that he knows well the implications of the phrase, "tempus fugit."

***

"When you see the abuse of power, you've got to speak."

-- VP candidate Joseph Biden, Aug. 27, 2008, Democratic National Convention

***

Bush-Cheney Constitutional Abuses Continue...

THE EXTRAJUDICIAL PUNISHMENT NETWORK:

VIOLATING HUMAN AND CIVIL RIGHTS OF INNOCENT BUT 'TARGETED' U.S. CITIZENS...

ON THE STREETS OF NYC, DC, PHILLY, BOSTON...

...AND IN CITIES AND TOWNS ACROSS AMERICA.

And federally-funded programs equip the "community gang stalkers" who are terrorizing their neighbors as police look the other way -- destroying their livelihoods and degrading their health with widely-deployed microwave radiation ("directed energy") weapons

A parallel array of federal "programs of personal financial destruction" slowly decimate the family finances of "target" families -- surely a factor in the mortgage meltdown that precipitated the global financial crisis.

When victims complain, they are told there is "nothing to investigate."

True -- because federal and local authorities KNOW ALL ABOUT IT.

Will the national press corps -- and Team Obama -- wake up and realize that democracy and middle-class wealth are being stolen at the GRASSROOTS?

OR (if links are corrupted / disabled):

Posted by: scrivener50 | May 15, 2009 9:55 AM | Report abuse

"Nancy Pelosi ups the ante on interrogations."

This firestorm is going to rage for a while. Madame Speaker may have some valid points to make about the CIA's behavior, but I'm having a hard time seeing how she comes out of it better than she went into it.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 15, 2009 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Hagan's defeat of Dole in NC had nothing to do with Hagan, and everything to do with Dole, along with the big push Obama made in the state. Burr has not and will not make the same mistakes Dole did. Make no mistake, it will be competitive, but NC hasn't changed that much...yet. Plus, Burr is far more engaged and far more politically savvy than Dole ever was.

Posted by: DCKilt | May 15, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

Sabotaging for political gain..
.. wished that journalists would follow Tiny Tim non-Taxpayer's communications preceding the Sept. 15, 2008 debacle.. let's see how that washes.. when exposed..

Posted by: newbeeboy | May 15, 2009 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Good or bad for Obama? Thew three newsmakers for discussion over the weekend are Pelos, Cheney and Rove.

Posted by: parkerfl1 | May 15, 2009 8:02 AM | Report abuse

JakeD, always ck SWA first.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | May 15, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Rendell is Big Daddy here in the Eastern half of PA, and Big Daddy smiled a mile over Arlen's switch.

My only complaint is that Arlen will be 80 next year, and the number of Senators over 80 who have been effective Senators is small. It's a slippery slope over 80.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | May 15, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

I was hoping Torsella would stay in. I guess party above principles. Have a great weekend, Chris.

P.S. does anyone know where I can find the best deals on West to East coast airfare for July?

Posted by: JakeD | May 15, 2009 6:10 AM | Report abuse