Perry, Hutchison face off in Texas primary

1. Voters are voting in Texas today! The marquee contest is the Lone Star State is the Republican primary for governor where Gov. Rick Perry has emerged as the clear favorite in a three-way race with Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison and Debra Medina. (Polls are open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m.) The question among sharp GOP operatives is not whether Perry will wind up as the top vote-getter but whether he can win 50 percent of the vote and avoid an April 13 runoff. Polling puts Perry in the low to mid 40s, suggesting that 50 percent is possible if not probable. While a runoff against Hutchison would drain more resources from the governor, even Hutchison loyalists acknowledge that the result would likely be the same. Medina has staked out territory to the ideological right of Perry and tried to organize the Tea Party movement and, assuming she places third, her supporters are a much more natural fit for Perry than Hutchison. (One Republican strategist suggested that Medina could well finish second -- ahead of Hutchison -- but that seems like a long shot given the amount of resources the senator is bringing to bear on the contest.) A Perry win would almost certainly ensure that Democrats target the state this fall. Former Houston mayor Bill White is a very likely winner today on the Democratic side and the Democratic Governors Association has already given him $500,000 -- a significant commitment in a state where the party has had almost no success in the past 15 years. The rest of the primary slate in Texas is decidedly low key although there are two contests to keep an eye on: 1) Rep. Ron Paul (R) faces a primary fight from several candidates affiliated with the Tea Party movement in the state but none are given much of a chance to unseat the 2008 presidential candidate. 2) National Republicans have long eyed Rep. Chet Edwards (D) 17th district, which gave President Obama just 32 percent of the vote in 2008. The GOP is partial to wealthy businessman Bill Flores -- he has given his campaign $250,000 -- although Rob Curlock, who took 46 percent despite being badly outspent by Edwards in 2008, is also running.

2. Former Tennessee representative Harold Ford Jr.'s decision on Monday not to challenge appointed Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand in the New York Democratic primary this year brings to an end a several-month consideration process that ranks among the oddest in modern political memory. Ford's interest in the race was book-ended by two pieces in the New York Times. The first was a wide-ranging -- and wildly off message -- interview in which Ford acknowledged, among other things, that he had visited Staten Island only once and that visit was by helicopter. The second was Ford's op-ed, which appeared on The Times' Web site on Monday night (and ran in Tuesday's paper), in which he blasted Democrats as "too slow to change" and lacking in "flexibility" before announcing that he would not run against Gillibrand. Ford's stated reason for deciding not to run was that it would sap resources from both himself and Gillibrand and endanger the seat in the fall campaign. The unstated reason, according to Politico's Ben Smith -- a New Yorker through and through -- was that wealthy publisher Mort Zuckerman's (R) mulling of a race against Gillibrand had dried up much of Ford's potential fundraising dollars. We had long seen Ford's interest in this race as a sort-of priming of the pump for a future bid for office -- mayor of New York City, perhaps? While Ford showed far less discipline than he had in his near-miss Senate candidacy in Tennessee in 2006, he almost certainly succeeded in ensuring that the next time he floats his name for an office in New York it won't be greeted with the sort of incredulity that his flirtation with this race was.

3. White House chief of staff Rahm Emanuel is one of the most fascinating figure in official Washington -- a political hatchet man with a soft side for policy, a man on track to compete for speaker of the House who left the House to take his current job, a close confidante to two presidents. The Post's Jason Horowitz took a shot at explaining Emanuel and his role in a White House under fire and concluded Emanuel is a sort of compromiser-in-chief. The highlights (although the entire piece is worth reading): 1) Emanuel was opposed to bringing Khalid Sheik Mohammed to New York City to stand trial in a civilian court but was overruled by President Obama. "He has a better ear for domestic politics on this issue than anybody in the administration, quite frankly," said South Carolina Sen.Lindsey Graham (R) of Emanuel. 2) Opinion of Emanuel among congressional Democrats varies. Florida Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz said that Obama should listen to Emanuel more because his "considerable legislative experience translates into advice that the president should heed." But, Illinois Rep. Luis Gutierrez said putting Emmanuel in the job was a "mistake" and added: "For Rahm, power and preservation of power is always the number one priority." 3) Emanuel has taken on a lower profile amid a series of stories and columns detailing his differences with some of his White House colleagues and listening to a broader circle of people for advice: "In the last few days, he's been a little bit more solicitous about opinions on the health-care summit, about inviting people into the conversation about how things get shaped," one senior administration official told Horowitz. 4) Emanuel wanted a scaled-down health care bill that could be passed easily through Congress rather than a big piece of legislation that aimed to reform the entire system but was also far more difficult to work out from a political perspective. Obama, ultimately, chose the latter option; "It was the president's call," said one Democratic senator. "A play was called, and he was running the play." ALSO READ: A detailed look at the friendship of Rahm and Lindsey.

4. A new Quinnipiac University poll has good news for party-switching Sen. Arlen Specter (D) as he holds a comfortable lead over Rep. Joe Sestak in the May 18 primary and has gained a narrow edge over former Rep. Pat Toomey (R) in a general election matchup. Specter's edge over Sestak is virtually unchanged from a December Q poll in which he led the 7th district Congressman by a 53 percent to 30 percent margin. But, in December Specter was tied at 44 percent with Toomey and today Specter holds a slight lead. (Toomey leads Sestak in a general election trial heat by a 39 percent to 36 percent margin.) Inside the numbers of the Qunnipiac survey, however, were potentially troubling signs for Specter. His lead at the moment over both Sestak and Toomey is built largely on his advantage in name recognition; while nearly 90 percent of voters know enough about Specter to offer an opinion, just 35 percent say the same of Toomey and just 26 percent know enough about Sestak to offer an opinion. Both challengers will have enough money to introduce themselves to Pennsylvania voters and present themselves as credible alternatives to Specter. And, the Q poll suggests voters are looking for an alternative; just 38 percent said Specter deserves to be re-elected in the fall while 52 percent said he does not.

5. It's only six days until the next "Politics and Pints" -- our night of trivia (political and otherwise). Last month's edition was canceled due to Snowpocalypse -- part 1 -- so we need to make this one twice as big. Tell your friends, heck, tell your enemies. It's next Monday night from 7-9 p.m. at the Capitol Lounge. Be there!

By Chris Cillizza  |  March 2, 2010; 6:30 AM ET
Categories:  Morning Fix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: And the winner is....
Next: Texas Governors Race: Prediction Time!

Comments

Perry 52% (with 21% precincts reporting) 30% Hutchison 17% Medina

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

@noa,

Even my pro life position is somewhat a result of my ancestors. My Irish insurgent g-g-g-g-father married again here and had another 7 children. His grandson became the Bishop of Galveston, TX and was on the island during the great hurricane in 1900 which demolished the place. There are a lot of priests and nuns in my family and I'm sure I have my devout streak due to their influence.

It's kind of funny knowing that we all are descended from an Irish terrorist bigamist!

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 9:25 PM | Report abuse

More's the pity.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 9:08 PM | Report abuse

And in my case but for timely departures from Europe I wouldn't be here either. Three of my grandparents' families were killed in the Holocaust. Two in Germany, one in Lithuania. I'll never forget the latter, when I learned to read Russian, showing me the last letters she had sent.. Returned undeliverable.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:37 PM
------------------------------------
Isn't it interesting the twists and turns that took place in the past, decades and hundreds of years ago, to allow us to be here, alive! at this point in time. And to think that we are here TOGETHER, on this blog, talking about our ancestors and what happened in their lives. They would be honored by our remembering them.

Even Jake is here, albeit as a reluctant spectator. Jake too has ancestors who did things, failed to do something, or just accidently happened to do something--and that is why Jake is here.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Perry 53% (with 2% precincts reporting)

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 9:00 PM | Report abuse

mark_in_austin:

I guess I'm cringing behind you now as we whine about "ad hominem personal attacks.". Oh well. Candy Crowley on next with early polling results . . .

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I wouldn't "go after" you, Jake, I would no more expect you to express a reasoned position than I would expect a dog to read a book. And after cringing behind the ad hominem dodge, now you're cringing behind Mark.

And I was wondering how long it would take you to squeeze in the liddle winky-winky.

You're a complete loser.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:45 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

See, 12Bar, I can respect your position and I can defend it. You would not have an abortion. But if someone close to you chose to have one, you wouldn’t barricade the door, you wouldn’t dump moth crystals in her gas tank, you wouldn’t go shoot and abortion doctor, and after she had that abortion you would still be her friend. There is the difference. That’s why I can respect you and have nothing but contempt for the JakeDs in the argument, their entire position is coercive and punitive.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:17 PM
----------------------------------
I have friends who have had abortions. Several. I was sad for them and for their babies. I stood by them as a friend and tried to give them my courage. I was advised to abort my second child due to serious RH problems which was killing the fetus. I stood by my convictions and I learned firsthand about the anguish in making this decision. I truly do understand both sides of this issue. I condemn no one.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Funny how you don't go after mark_in_austin for refusing to engage you in debate (he's the one who asked me not to any more ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Just a little personal story: I exist because of a failed civil war. I am descended from an Irishman who hid himself from the English and skipped out on a ship to America. He was part of the failed 1798 rebellion against the British.

If he would have been caught, he would have been hung.
If the revolution had succeeded, he would have stayed with his Irish wife and I wouldn't have been born.
Only because he married again [!] in American and had another family, do I exist.

And to cap it off, the reason for the failure of the revolution is the failure of the insurgents to coordinate and get the word out. The British got wind of the conspiracy and scotched (sorry, Scotland) the whole thing before it could get started. Tactics do count.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 8:23 PM | Report abuse

See, 12Bar, I can respect your position and I can defend it.  You would not have an abortion.  But if someone close to you chose to have one, you wouldn’t barricade the door, you wouldn’t dump moth crystals in her gas tank, you wouldn’t go shoot and abortion doctor, and after she had that abortion you would still be her friend.  There is the difference.  That’s why I can respect you and have nothing but contempt for the JakeDs in the argument, their entire position is coercive and punitive.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:17 PM | Report abuse

If you could express a position Jake you would go ahead and do it ad 12bar and I have done. Instead you trot out these lame excuses about who you won't talk to and brag about what a great job you WOULD do if all the ducks were lined up in a row for you just right. But when push comes to shove all you do is throw up nonsense about a second civil war. And you aren't fooling anyone.

Those who can, do.

Those who can't, whine about "ad hominem personal attacks."

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, below, I would be happy to debate who exactly should "enjoy the rights to LIFE, LIBERTY, and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS" with anyone who does not resort to ad hominem personal attacks.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 8:05 PM | Report abuse

When it comes to abortion I back off trying to convince anyone. Both sides have valid viewpoints and in some ways both sides are prolife, but just see the lives they are pro somewhat differently. I'm for women's liberation and at the same time, pro life, so that probably makes me an odd duck. But that's ok, we're all odd in our ways.

What I really don't get though is willingness to kill other Americans because they don't agree with us. We don't even condone war on other countries just because the other people have different ideas (although it has been done plenty of times, but of course we like to deny it). But to pick up a gun against our own countrymen and relatives is beyond comprehension to me. Haven't we had enough killing and threats of violence. I know I have, I'm sick of it, no one is better off for it.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 8:03 PM | Report abuse

Monkey boy is frantically googling up links nobody will read.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

The ad hominem crap is just another fig leaf, Jake. The reason you're outside this perfectly civil debate is that as anyone can see, you're intellectually outgunned. 12bar can kick your butt on your own side of the argument and as for my side of it you bring nothing to the table except some arch and hysterical crap about a civil war.

You can neither defend nor even articulate a prolife position, only repeat it, and dodge into some phony religious junk with a capitalized pronoun or two. Just butt out, the grownups are talking

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 7:47 PM | Report abuse

@noa,

You eloquently explain the reasons for your pro choice position. I understand that these are legitimate reasons. I'm not going to explain my reasons unless you specifically ask, since they come from my religious schooling. I prefer not to argue about abortion. I would tell you my personal story that influences me, not to try to convince you, but so that you would know me better.

Tangentially, an idea for HCR is for people to pay their own "ordinary" medical expenses and only rely on insurance or the govt for catastrophic coverage. Proponents of this approach advocate that people pay for "their own childbirth" expenses. My first child cost $250 to the ob/gyn and maybe $400 to the hospital and that was full price. It took me 2 years to pay that off (that dates me doesn't it).

Now children cost $15k for a normal birth and more. Can you imagine the unintended consequences of ppl paying expenses like that?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse

If anyone else wants to know why I don't "debate" issues with those who resort to ad hominem personal attacks, please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

Here's a hint, loser: you only want to talk about yourself, not issues. Sorry but nobody is fascinated with JakeD except JakeD.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't care less to discuss anything with these two left on this thread. It is curious, to say the least, that I supposedly have such "hatred of women" though that I want Palin elected the first female President of the United States; I am such a "racist" that I voted for the other African-American . . .

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 6:58 PM | Report abuse

Whining for attention as usual.

STILL can't figure out why nobody's interested, Jake? Dumb as they come.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

Again, if anyone ELSE wants to discuss these issues in a polite manner, let me know?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

@12BarBlues: I would rather there were never abortions, because I would rather every pregnancy was intentional.  But that isn’t how reality works.  People have sex, we have strong evolutionary compulsions to do so, and we are necessarily irrational about reproduction.  If everyone weighed the rewards and losses of raising a child, two decades or more of dependence and lost opportunities, we would fall far below the replacement rate.

There will be unintended pregnancies, and having known the adult results of children who grew up unwanted, I wouldn’t want that to ever happen.

And frankly I can’t bring myself to see any moral issue in terminating a pregnancy before the advent of consciousness, which I remember in my own case, and it was well after birth.  I was still crawling and breast feeding but I did not attain self-awareness in the womb, I attained it at least months after birth.  And while I don’t counsel legal infanticide (let’s not kid ourselves it doesn’t happen), I see the moment of parturition as a clean and well-defined moment for the acquisition of protection under law.  At the time of the great majority of abortions a fetus is only distinguishable from a guppy or a toad by expensive genetic tests.  I don’t care how cute a baby is after birth.  A fetus is not a child any more than a fingernail paring is an adult human.

And while I respect your convictions, and greatly respect your ability to respect others’, I vehemently doubt the sincerity of the pro-life movement as a conservative platform.  The same people who claim so much compassion for a fetus don’t seem to give a damn if that same piece of flesh starves to death within a week after birth, nor if (s)he grows up illiterate, malnourished, brain-damaged and unemployable.  I see people like Jake as haters of their fellow man first and foremost (I mean, duh, read his posts!), and their opposition to abortion nothing more than a fig-leaf for hatred of women and of pro-choice as one position held by the people he most wants to see murdered (now there’s a loooong list).

The only group whose pro-life sentiments I accept as genuine are lactating women, whose brains are so overridden by the effects of the prolactin in their blood that they cannot feel anything but protective.  But that’s an ephemeral condition.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

I never thought I'd see the day. Until today, the arch conservatives at RCP predicted, no demanded, that HCR could NEVER pass, no way, no how.

Now, today, they are acknowledging that the HCR is going to pass.

There's a dirge going on, alternating between threats and curses, then back to moans.

Reasons being given are:

-that Americans have gotten sick of hearing about HCR.
-that HC reform had to come (although the RCP'ers want to eliminate medicare).
-And that come 2013, the GOP "could" repeal it.

Resignation reigns supreme at RCP.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 6:41 PM | Report abuse

(all better "looking" than Jefferson Davis ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 6:30 PM | Report abuse

Pam and Tim Tebow:

Norma McCorvey (formerly "Roe" from infamous Roe v. Wade case):

Scary pictures of "antiabortion advocates" ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

@Noacoler,

Here we are -- you are pro choice, I am pro life, but we're not enemies. I understand the pro choice position, share some of your concerns, acknowledge your "right to exist" and the legality of abortion and yet --- I also honor my own position which is also deeply held. At no time would I pick up a gun to force you to do my will.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 6:26 PM | Report abuse

What kind of drool case could be so
monomaniacal about abortion to think there would ever be any organized resistance over it? Jake, you're psychotic.

Killing doctors in church is as far as it goes.

Pro-lifers should fund TV appearances by antiabortion advocates. TO A MAN they are such repulsive people that the mere sight of them would go a long way to settling this once and for all.

Without Roe v. Wade we'd have another 40 million mouths to feed here, another 40 million to find some use for. I call it a triumph.

And here's another: George Bush (the Lesser) achievement: America's ability to create military mayhem in the world has been sharply reduced. We're too bogged down in wars of choice to make any more.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

If anyone else does not understand what "Hopefully, again, Obama does not take it that far" means (i.e. hopefully Lincoln does not attempt to re-supply Fort Sumter), please let me know.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

If Obamacare funds abortions, there will be another Civil War.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 2:06 PM
---------------------------------------
Oh, sorry, you really meant to THINK about a Civil War.

Maybe "thinking about it" is a good idea, since I don't see a long line behind you to sign up. At least, not on this blog.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse

leapin:

Are you up for another Civil War, against enemies foreign AND DOMESTIC (no need to even leave your trailer)?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 5:25 PM | Report abuse

It should go without saying that "Hopefully, again, Obama does not take it that far" is hardly close to a "prediction that Civil War is imminent." Anyone else care to discuss the issues in a civil manner?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street:

Yes, assuming we could take California (maybe just from the Orange Curtain to the Mexican border)...I know those populations won't put up with a violation of the 2nd Amendment PLUS their federal tax dollars going to fund abortions...
Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 4:19 PM
-------------------------------------
Ok, hours have gone by since Jake made his prediction that Civil War is imminent. The only volunteers for military duty are:

General Jake and Private Paranoid

Guess the interest just isn't there, is it?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

For a guy who's never been any further from his trailer than the 7-11 leapin sure thinks he knows a lit about Europe.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

PAID BLOG-SPAM COMPENSATION:

By the word or by the post? Or a contract?

And who's footing the bill?

***

CELL TOWER MICROWAVE WEAPON SYSTEM ATTACKS, IMPAIRS 'TARGETED' AMERICANS, SAYS VETERAN JOURNALIST

• Why so many cell towers saturate the American landscape -- urban and rural.

• Weapon system patents reveal silent, powerful attack system in YOUR backyard.

• American human rights atrocities under the cover of national security.

OR: poynter.org/subject.asp?id=2 (see articles list)

Posted by: scrivener50 | March 2, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Debra Medina Candidate for Governor of Texas, stated she is against Public welfare for illegal immigrants as a tea party follower. If the SANCTUARY STATE OF CALIFORNIA is anything to go by, this lady should be a winner to all taxpayers in the Lone Star State. Read this commentary by Los Angeles county Supervisor Michael Antonovich here are some facts:

"Children of illegal immigrants cost our Los Angeles County nearly $570 million in welfare and food stamps in 2009. Approximately 23 percent of all CalWORKS and food stamp issuances in the county are made to parents who reside in the United States illegally, and collect benefits for their native-born children.

Add this to $350 million for public safety and almost $500 millions for health care, and the total cost for illegal immigrants to county taxpayers far exceeds $1 billion a year, not including the millions of dollars of education, the cost of incarceration," according to Antonovich.

I WONDER HOW MUCH THE ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION COSTS IN TEXAS AND YOUR STATE?

Posted by: infinity555 | March 2, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Let me get this straight:

The liberal position is this: the 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th amendments DO APPLY TO THE STATES.

The 2nd Amendment APPLIES ONLY TO THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

The 10th Amendment APPLIES TO NO ONE.

Is that the correct position of the liberals ???

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

In addition to massive government spending and massive new taxes, don't forget forcing by law the purchase of healthcare insurance and FEDERAL FUNDING OF ABORTIONS in violation of conscience clauses too (Senate version at least), the complete opposite of what he promised before Congress.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Obama now wants to add 4 Republican ideas to his 2000 page bill - complete with massive government spending and massive new taxes.

Why won't they jump at it?

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I am aware of that too (assuming we could finally outlaw abortion and pass a Constitutional Amendment to that effect just like in 1865. It would not be just active-duty military, but many young men and women at our service academies would have to make the choice which side to join, just like last time around.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

What is the story behind your name ??? Does it have something to do with a pubcrawl ???

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

JakeD2

Children, grand-children, great-grandchildren

A civil war does not have to end in the splitting of the nation in any event

One side or the other could win.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street:

Yes, assuming we could take California (maybe just from the Orange Curtain to the Mexican border), any American crossing is an illegal alien. My kids are long out of college (but Americans attend Oxford and other foreign schools all the time now. It would probably make more sense to focus on those States which lean conservative now anyway. I know those populations won't put up with a violation of the 2nd Amendment PLUS their federal tax dollars going to fund abortions. Hopefully, again, Obama does not take it that far.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

I really don't want to hear this crap - the Obama campaign last year DID employ paid bloggers - and we could tell on this blog who they were - they logged in and out in shifts.

The whole thing was a joke.

So don't tell me that they don't have some operation working at OFA or the DNC or something -

AND broadwayjoe might be part of it.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

37th,

Watch out. Your paranoia is showing. Duck and cover...duck and cover...I may not be gunning for you, but WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS????????? You know those bloggers from the WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't answer that phone...don't open that door...for God's sake DON'T open that package from UPS. Especially if the return address is:

The Others
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues states:

Get real. Just about the time I think you've regained some sanity, you post something like this. Don't worry, I'm not gunning for you.

_________________________________

So who are you gunning for??

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

JakeD2

I will talk about anything with you - however I just don't think it is possible.

My reasoning is that the Civil War in the 1860s was so bad, this country has a severe aversion to war.

At this point, this country is against the Iraqi War, and large segments of the population want us out of Afghanistan.

If there were just a few killings, the media would be all over the blood, and the country would be against any other killing.

Oprah would hold memorials and it just would not fly.

You might get a constitutional convention to change things around, however that is remote.

Too many seniors get Medicare and Social Security - they want the federal government for just that - even if the country could split up and both sides would guarantee those benefits - they are still there.

AND what are we going to do - make someone moving to California an illegal alien ?

What if you want to send your kids to a college far away - would you need a student visa??

Where do you want to put up the border crossings???

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street:

It WAS a "Senator's Only" elevator ; )

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 3:58 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

You are actually implying that you would shoot other Americans over other issues

What are they ?

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 3:49 PM
----------------------------------

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if Sen Bunning would shoot someone to defend that elevator

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

If anyone else wants to discuss how a Civil War could get traction, let me know.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

What are they ?

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

Im glad to say you won't shoot anyone - but how about to defend your liberal wackjobs -

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 3:44 PM
----------------------------------
No, not to defend my liberal friends, not to defend ideology. I'm not going to kill someone over IDEAS. Isn't what America is supposed to be about--the freedom (from violence) to express IDEAS.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Don't even try to get into an elevator with Sen. Bunning - he will bite your head off !

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Jake has been complaining that no one wants to talk seriously about his idea of a Civil War. I present some questions about how a Civil War could get traction, and all I hear is the sound of silence.

I can only assume that Jake EITHER:

1. Is part of a conspiracy to wage a Civil War and is afraid of "outing" the movement.

OR

2. Cannot answer the questions because he has not actually given thought to the strategies for a Civil War.

Personally, I am prolife, but I wouldn't pick up a gun to shoot my fellow Americans over abortion.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

More thoughts about how a Civil War could be fought in the U.S.

How would the armed citizens deal with the armed police? The armed national guard? The possibility of armed federal troups? Infiltrate these organizations ahead of time?

How would the armed citizens deal with their neighbors who don't agree with them? Try to place them in internment?

How would the armed citizens deal with ongoing elections at local, state & federal levels. Suspend elections (at least at the local level)?

Where would the armed citizens locate? Stay in their homes or live communally on militia bases?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

For those who think that a Civil War could be successful:

What is the definition of success? Take over of government (i.e. coup)?

How many armed citizens would it take to take over the states/federal government?

How widespread would the armed action have to be? All 50 states, or only regional?

How would these armed citizens organize? Who would command their forces? Do you see the Tea Party movement as the organization?

Who would these armed citizens be? Age, gender, race, military experience?

There are no doubt many more questions that would have to be answered before someone could reasonably predict a Civil War.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | March 2, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Of course that's "easier". If anyone else wishes to actually discuss the serious content in my positions, however, let me know.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

mark, it's a hell of a lot easier to simply write "don't talk to jaked"

Posted by: DDAWD | March 2, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

mark_in_austin:

While you may consider my positions "foolishness", they are hardly thoughtless or banal. Neither am I joking. The BILL OF RIGHTS is doing nothing to protect the lives of millions of unborn children that have been, or will be, killed. If you wish to actually discuss the "serious content" in my positions, let me know.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

I am well aware that abortion is a LEGAL procedure. From 1654 until 1865, slavery for life was also "legal" within the boundaries of much of the present United States. Before the widespread establishment of chattel slavery (outright ownership of the slave), much labor was organized under a system of bonded labor known as indentured servitude. This typically lasted for several years for white and black alike, and it was a means of using labor to pay the costs of transporting people to the colonies.

By the 18th century, however, abominable court rulings (culminating with Dred Scott) established the racial basis of the American incarnation of slavery to apply chiefly to Black Africans and people of African descent, and occasionally to Native Americans. In part because of the success of tobacco as a cash crop in the Southern colonies, its labor-intensive character caused planters to import more slaves for labor by the end of the 17th century than did the northern colonies. The South, of course, had a significantly high number and proportion of slaves in the population.

In total, twelve million Africans were shipped to the Americas from the 16th to the early 19th centuries. Of these, an estimated 645,000 were brought to what is now the United States. The slave population in the United States had grown to four (4) million by the 1860 Census.

BY CONTRAST, THERE HAVE BEEN OVER FORTY (40) MILLION ABORTIONS SINCE ROE V. WADE. If Obamacare funds abortions, there will be another Civil War.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

For those opposed to another Civil War over abortion, keep in mind that the first one was fought over far fewer than 40 million slaves who nonetheless deserved the same God-given rights to LIFE, LIBERTY, and THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS guaranteed to all Americans. I certainly don't want another bloody Civil War, but if that's what it takes to ensure the same freedoms to our posterity, then so be it.

For those who take that sentiment even one step further and think it's a "good idea" to apologize to the world for America: ask yourselves what Russia would likely do in Eastern Europe (again) if America becomes weak? What China would do in Taiwan; what the Taliban would do in Afghanistan; what Fidel Castro, Hugo Chavez, Kim Jong-il, or Mahmoud Ahmadinejad would have in mind for their neighbors. The very existence of American power helps to hold tyrants in check and reduces the rish of precipitious war.

Does America make mistakes? Absolutely. We never fully understood the enormously complex political, economic, and military issues we would face in Iraq, but do we apologize for what we were able to do there? NO!

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This is for anyone, Texan or not, who seriously poses that Texas' secession would be a good idea.
Further, this is for those who favor or encourage violence in the streets of America.

1] From the perspective of the USA, it cannot afford to lose any states or to entertain the loss of any states because that would end the entire federal union, as each state would no longer be subject to federal law, at the will of each state. In other words, the Civil War would have been fought in vain.

2] From the perspective of the USA, it would be an economic loser in such a transaction. Texas not only pays in more than it takes out [like every large state], it is the home of the 9th largest economy in the world, on its own, and one of every twelve or thirteen Americans.

3] The USA might ameliorate the blow if it maintained a Common Market with TX and a treaty to maintain American military bases on Texas soil.
-----------------------------------------------------------
4] From the perspective of TX, it is a losing proposition as well, ameliorated a bit if TX can remain in a common market with the USA and have a treaty with the USA regarding veterans benefits and social security benefits already "earned". Further, both Texas and the USA would gain from a treaty that would allow the 800+ mi of IH 10 and the 450 mi of IH 35, etc. within TX to remain open to the commerce of the USA. Both would gain if America's huge Gulf seaports, in TX hands, would remain open to American shipping.
-------------------------------------------------------------
5] While the USA actually would have more to lose than TX [because it would presage the disintegration of the union] neither entity has anything to gain from "secession".

This kind of loose talk was bandied in CA years ago and was equally foolish then. Barry Goldwater once suggested setting the northeastern cities adrift in the Atlantic. All these ideas are thoughtless foolishness, whether posited by self proclaimed conservatives or self proclaimed liberals. The Perry + Medina posturings on "nullification" are banal. The Alaska secessionists screeds are banal. The posts in favor of some part of our nation to secede are, you guessed it, banal.

My esteemed former colleague at the bar from San Diego plays with the words "civil war" over the Stupak Amendment - this wordplay is banal.

We are not required to have serious discussions, but we can hardly take secession or insurrection posts as jokes. Yet they are devoid of thought or serious content. In a land whose governing principles include majority rule tempered by a Bill of Rights, there is no excuse for violence and revolution and anarchy. My country does not acquiesce to my wishes all the time, but it darn well is my country.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

No matter whether Hutchison forces a runoff or not, Texas will probably be stuck with Perry again. I'd rather not, but I'm just one voter.

Posted by: meand2 | March 2, 2010 1:05 PM | Report abuse

beeker25:

Perhaps you are not grasping the concept of NO APOLOGY (for Iran, Cuba, Chile, Eygpt, Vietnam, Iraq, whatever)?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I hope that all of you who don't care about Texas don't mind that the rest of the country doesn't care about what happens in DC either.

So even though we here in flyover country might actually have a solution to the "spend and go bankrupt" problem,we will continue to ignore the jibs.

Depending on DC would mean that we not have posted Rangers and National Guard on the border with Mexico because the federal govt would have plus up ICE and ATF right? (Happier without the federal plus up). DC's example is why we only have our legislature in session 3 months out of 18 (gawd, think of them in session all the time!) And DC's example of harmony and sweetness is why we would be happy to leave this currently dysfunctional union. But know that Texas is needed by the US so we stay. (This is sarcasm folks, if all the regional trolls out there can do it so can I).

Happily I have a state that isn't going bankrupt and that has energy reserves--both green and carbon-based...so, we would be fine without you'll. What do you have? Congress and the federal worker....sigh, must be sniff, sniff, so sad.

Posted by: mil1 | March 2, 2010 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:16 PM

------
Mitt Romney leaves out few facts on how we got where we are today.
After WW@ ended, America was regarded as a beacon of freedom and liberty and acts with conviction with our ideals and it doesn't hurt to have lots of friends in the process.
In the intervening years we proceeded to squander that by supporting governments that are despotic and hated by their own people because it is a dictatorship and long opposed to communism which is the basis of our foreign policy. While it is good to oppose it on the ground it is not the concept envisioned by Marx and the wrong way to fix the economy, Ex. Iran, Cuba, Chile, Eygpt, Vietnam and name a few.

Our leaders make broad statements that preach about democracy and free elections and respect of others however when it comes to the make up of the government, we undermine it by supporting a particular candidate that conforms to our view even it means the electorate wants a change of course. Chile in 1953 comes to mind when they elected Allende and the Hamas several years ago when Bush made it clear he wants Fatah to win by providing financial support to that organization even though it is considered corrupt by the people.

Lastly, the Republican party was lobbied by businesses to be able to outsource jobs overseas in the name of being competitive by offering tax breaks to do so and being able to move profit overseas to avoid taxation and NFTA trade agreement. All it has done is shift many of the manufacturing jobs overseas. The best way, not being stuck in the past, is to be innovative and being able to adapt to the changes in the economy in order to be competitive like training engineers, scientists and so on in order to create jobs in the long run.

Posted by: beeker25 | March 2, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

From the reality-based crowd (a foreigner, no less):

"Obama has offered an apology . . . [h]is speech in Strasbourg went further than any United States president in history in criticising his own country’s action while standing on foreign soil."

I REPORT, YOU DECIDE . . .

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

That "apology" crap is good for riling up the rubes, the people so easily persuaded to vote against theirnown [SIC] interests, but it has zero basis in fact.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Sorry that should be doubled state SALES tax...pays to slow down when re-reading. Sorry.

Posted by: mil1 | March 2, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

So, I guess that Mr. Obama never said this in your fantasyland: “In America, there is a failure to appreciate Europe's leading role in the world. Instead of celebrating your dynamic union and seeking to partner with you to meet common challenges, there have been times where America has shown arrogance and been dismissive, even derisive.”

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

So the Fix has no one in Texas to talk to about the primaries and didn't bother to read any newspapers from Texas to make their very lame opinion about who will win.

Yes, Perry is emphasizing Hutchinson DC time but Perry has spend the last 8 years with us and we know we don't want what he wants--the enlargement of state government symbolized by the Trans-Texas Corridor (and it's 6 baby brothers spreading throughout the state).

Hutchinson's real threat though is Medina--yes, the media picture her as a 9/11 truther but that isn't what the people of Texas see (because it's all fun media hype). Medina wants to eliminate property tax and go with a doubled state tax (actually it would more then likely triple to 16%). This is very attractive to many in the state where property tax from county, city and school district makes it difficult to support owning a home.

I am from Northwestern Texas and I believe like Mark_in_Austin there will be a Republican run off...

If Perry wins, I will need to consider wither I want a democrat in office (OK, considered it; no).

If Hutchinson wins, don't have a problem.

If Medina wins, a quick prayer that her inexperience doesn't outweigh the need to clean house....

I don't see a democrat winning in November no matter what...the primary for Republicans is just a time to get a comfortable fit for governor. Not to run to the Democrats (like they ran for Oklahoma when they couldn't get their way in the state Congress) for "support" in the governors office...and Fix, try reading about a location before predicting....it would help you to understand the results.

Posted by: mil1 | March 2, 2010 12:38 PM | Report abuse

Now we have entire books for knocking down straw men. That "apology" crap is good for riling up the rubes, the people so easily persuaded to vote against theirnown interests, but it has zero basis in fact. Romney is as phony as the color of his hair, and books like his and Palin's could be written by software. Still the rubes buy them. Rubes like JakeD. Fools and money quickly parted.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

----------
Really you really think that Ron Paul has coherent and principled message? What about the statement he made to Bernanke which he replied: BERNANKE: “Well, Congressman, these specific allegations you’ve made I think are absolutely bizarre, and I have absolutely no knowledge of anything remotely like what you just described.”

The way it was described 5 possible reasons for the questions:

Paul has some amazing dirt on the Fed, and the Fed has been involved in some bizarre stuff
He has gotten some real leads on bizarre stuff the Fed has done, but doesn’t have proof yet
Someone set up Paul to make him look bad by feeding him bogus information
Paul has gone senile
Paul is playing a very clever game

=========

---
That's true and National Journal did an article about the Tea Baggers and their party affiliation on the basis of their suggested remedies. According to research, it was shown 88% shares the Republican ideals thus shares the party's affiliation. Then you have the other side where they lean to the Democrats. In actuality the true Independents is consist about 7%.
===============

Posted by: Iconoblaster

Posted by: beeker25 | March 2, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Product Description

On his first presidential visit to address the European nations, Obama felt it necessary to apologize for America’s international power. He repeated that apology when visiting Latin America, and again to Muslims worldwide in an interview broadcast on Al-Arabiya television.

In "No Apology", Mitt Romney asserts that American strength is essential — not just for our own well-being - but for the world’s. Governments such as China and a newly-robust Russia threaten to overtake us on many fronts, and radical Islam continues its dangerous rise. Drawing on history for lessons on how great powers collapse, Romney shows how and why our national advantages have eroded. From the long-term decline of our manufacturing base, our laggard educational system that has left us without enough engineers, scientists, and other skilled professionals, our corrupted financial practices that led to the current crisis, and the crushing impact of entitlements on our future obligations, America is in debt, overtaxed, and unprepared for the challenges it must face.

We need renewal: fresh ideas to cut through complicated problems and restore our strength. Creative and bold, Romney proposes simple solutions to rebuild industry, create good jobs, reduce out of control spending on entitlements and healthcare, dramatically improve education, and restore a military battered by eight years of war. Most important, he calls for a new commitment to citizenship, a common cause we all share, rather than a laundry list of individual demands. Many of his solutions oppose President Obama’s policies, many also run counter to Republican thinking, but all have one strategic aim: to move America back to political and economic strength.

Personal and dynamically-argued, "No Apology" is a call to action by a man who cares deeply about America’s history, its promise, and its future.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

TEXAS

Texas still has the right to split into 5 states - and claim up to 8 ADDITIONAL SENATE SEATS.

It is something to think about.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Noacoler

Tell that to the Russians

Tell that to the Poles who are now free

Tell that to the Czechs who are now free

Tell that to the Hungarians who are now free

Tell that to the Rumanians who are now free

Tell that to the Slovaks who are now free

You should go to Vietnam - as long as where you go has no internet connection, it is OK with all of us.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone else read Romney's book "No Apology" (I don't think that I've asked that question ever)?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

No, that was indeed the last time I will waste my time rebutting the lame attempt to make it seem like Obama's got no problems because Reagan was able to survive the same downturn in the economy and polling. Have fun with your false equivalency.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

For the last time, Obama is not Reagan.

==

there is no "last time" with you, you do the same small set of posts over and over every week like some kind if wind-up toy.

Reagan was nothing to be proud of. No achievements to speak of, just a pamphlet of pithy one-liners.

Posted by: Noacoler | March 2, 2010 12:08 PM | Report abuse

there are so many scumbags to choose from, koolkat, it's hard to say which is worse. doof might be it though... he sounds like a drudgite, and they're the dregs.

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 11:44 AM

you still never answered my question. are you a man or a woman today?

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

koolkat_1960:

And I thought that you said you weren't posting here anymore?

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow -- doof is really trying to wrest from Ace McNumbnuts and armpit the title of "Biggest Fix Scumbag Under the Age of 77."

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | March 2, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Wow -- doof is really trying to wrest from Ace McNumnbuts and armpit the title of "Biggest Fix Scumbag Under the Age of 77."

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | March 2, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't be too concerned about the "tea baggers" if I were Ron Paul. He has a coherent, principled message (as much as his detractors try to distort and misstate it)... the tea baggers don't. They are an ad hoc mixed bag of people with real anger and real complaints, but not the SAME complaints, nor do they share the same proposed remedies... many come from the so-called "political right", but not all. They don't seem to have the makings of much of a political party (or even an enduring political movement).

Some incumbents may have cause to worry about this group, but on the whole, it isn't sufficiently focused to be a serious threat to Demoblican/Republicrat hegemony over the American political landscape.

Posted by: Iconoblaster | March 2, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Then stop bringing up (now Ezra's) lame attempt to make it seem like Obama's got no problems because Reagan was able to survive the same downturn in the economy and polling.

Back on topic: White will lose in November unless there is a shocker related to Perry.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

'For the last time, Obama is not Reagan.'

and for the last time, thank god.

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

@d: When will someone send Broder the memo: in regard to his buyout, the Post honored the "buy" part so now Broder needs to honor the "out" part. Good grief.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | March 2, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Perry v. KBH. At the end of the day secessionist Perry wins the primary--not even close. The real question: is can he beat Bill White? Answer, probably not. And, if not, why no GOP-in-trouble narrative here?

Not surprised Ron Paul is having no trouble with the teabaggers. His principles, as set forth in his "Newsletters," IMO, go way beyond the n-word signs, etc., of the baggers. Among "the Base" (the MSM's euphemism for rightwing Yahoos and socios), the Ron Paul Newsletters are no doubt viewed like the Federalist Papers or the Magna Carta among normal folk.

Re BHO's internal woes, he needs to make sweeping staff changes ala Reagan; 44's political strategy and his communications efforts have been sub-par. BHO is clearly vulnerable to a GW Hope who campaigns as a moderate (see., Bob McDonnell and Scott Brown). Where is Leo McGarry when you need him. Let Obama be Obama!

Specter's standing is curious: it seems the less he is in the limelight the more popular he is. When he was out making anti-BHO statements every week, his numbers plummeted. Now look where he is.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | March 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

For the last time, Obama is not Reagan.

Posted by: JakeD2 | March 2, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

I don't care a bit who governs Texas. I hope they get Medina and then wonder why she can't enact any of her wild ideas.

Posted by: creatia52 | March 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: creatia52 | March 2, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Who cares what happens in the extremist-nihilist state of Texas?

The Lone Ego State long ago surrendered its relevance in American politics by becoming politically monochromatic. The current governor's primary is a perfect case in point. Hey, honey, would y'all like some Texas toast with your Texas toast?

Whatever political meanness transpires there, it will have NO effect on the rest of the country. Texas is totally irrelevant.

Posted by: JC505 | March 2, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

yes, elijah, but millions of people revere rush like a little tin god.

Broder, always right there with the CW which is generally 100% wrong.

"Ezra Klein starts the week off with a great find -- a David Broder column following the 1982 midterm elections in which Broder wrote Reagan's premature obituary:

What we are witnessing this January is not the midpoint in the Reagan presidency, but its phase-out. "Reaganism," it is becoming increasingly clear, was a one- year phenomenon, lasting from his nomination in the summer of 1980 to the passage of his first budget and tax bills in the summer of 1981. What has been occurring ever since is an accelerating retreat from Reaganism, a process in which he is more spectator than leader.'

Klein's points about how this applies to Obama are all well-taken. "

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Mark,
My thinking was that if KBH waits till November she can see if the GOP regains the Senate (unlikely I think), then stay if she is the 50th vote. I get the impression that who wins the special election may come down to how it is run. If all the GOP candidates are running against one Democrat it may be possible that they GOP candidate that emerges for a run-off is weakened or too extreme (Medina for example) and than Sharp may be able to pull off a HUGE upset. I didn't think about Medina running for Senate if she loses the Gov race, but that may be exactly what she does. Texas politics is definitly getting more exciting this year.

Posted by: AndyR3 | March 2, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

texcede,as a Medina supporter, if she does not make the runoff, do you think she would run in the Special for the Senate when [if] KBH resigns?

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

Rush Limbaugh is a comedian. Not a particularly good one, but a comedian none the less. He doesn't trade in information. He trades in hot-button buzz-words and shock. Nothing he says should ever be taken seriously.

Posted by: elijah24 | March 2, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

There's going to be a runoff in Texas but Kay Bailey Hutchison is not going to be one of the candidates in it. I'm in the Hill Country between Austin and San Antonio. Deb Medina will win this part of the state outright.

Posted by: texcede | March 2, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

They said Debra Medina did not have a snowballs chance several months ago. Then she broke into the double-digits and the political pundits started to take notice. After the debates, which she clearly won, still the newspapers and other country club hacks supported either KBH or Rick Perry. Medina has been hovering around 24% ever since in narrowly defined telephone polls. So the real numbers will come out today as disgruntled voters come out enmasse. Medina will definitely pass KBH and force at least a run-off if not an outright win. The mainstream media is either out of touch with Texans or purposely downplays the Medina surge or both. There is an idelogical struggle going on in Texas and across the country and this Republican primary will shake not only KBH and Perry but the entire political establishment!!

Posted by: sarasota1 | March 2, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

The answers for doof would be not yet and never again.

Posted by: JakeD3 | March 2, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

the wingers just get dumber and dumber:

"On ABC’s This Week last Sunday, host Elizabeth Vargas asked House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) what she would say to her members “who are in real fear of losing their seats in November” when it comes time for the House to vote on health care reform again. Pelosi replied that “we are not here just to self perpetuate our service in Congress. We’re here to do the job for the American people.”

The comment was interpreted as Pelosi saying that lawmakers should sacrifice their jobs for health care reform. On his radio show yesterday, Rush Limbaugh took that a step further, saying that “Mullah Nancy Bin Pelosi” was “no different” than those who “convince all these people to put bombs on their kids.”

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Nothing Rahm or President Obama does or says can make a real difference in the lives of Americans until civil and human rights are restored in America.

TEAM OBAMA JOB #1: RESTORE CIVIL AND HUMAN RIGHTS -- END BUSH-ERA PROGRAMS OF COVERT HIGH-TECH TORTURE AND POLICE STATE VIGILANTE TERRORISM.

***

• Why so many cell towers saturate the American landscape -- urban and rural.

• Weapon system patents reveal silent, powerful attack system in YOUR backyard.

• American human rights atrocities under the cover of national security.

OR: poynter.org/subject.asp?id=2 (see articles list)

NOW IT'S OBAMA'S GESTAPO USA. WHEN WILL TEAM OBAMA ACT?

• Reporter exposing gov't cell tower microwave torture held hostage to community stalking, police-protected, GPS-equipped vigilante squads that burglarize, vandalize and terrorize -- officially-enabled lawlessness that afflicts many thousands of other unconstitutionally targeted and persecuted Americans.

BUCKS COUNTY, PA- BASED MAGLOCLEN FUSION CENTER: "GROUND ZERO OF A MID-ATLANTIC STATES AMERICAN GESTAPO."

WHY WON'T THE FBI OPEN A DOJ/ CIVIL RIGHTS DIVISION INVESTIGATION -- AS REPEATEDLY REQUESTED?

OR NowPublic.com/scrivener (see "stories" list)

Posted by: scrivener50 | March 2, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

50%off ca,ed hardy t-shirt$15 jeans,coach handbag$33,air max90,dunk,polo t-shirt$13,,lacoste t-shirt $13 air jordan for sale,$35,nfl nba jersy for sale

free shipping
accept paypal credit card
lower price fast shippment with higher quality

our website: http://www.b2b2.us

lower price fast shippment with higher quality
BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!

SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!

FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!

Packing: All the products are packed with original boxes and tags also retro cards/ code
numder

Features: AAA QUALITY, COMPETITIVE PRICE AND SERVICE
1) The goods are shipping by air express, such as EMS,the shipping time is in 5-7 business days
2) They are in stock now;
3) Various styles and color for clients' choice
4) The Products are fit for most people, because of our wholesale price

ugg45$ puma gucci$35,nike jordans six ring,yeezy$%5!!

new era caps$13 gucci handbags jeans,t-shirts sunglass,caps

true religion jeans$35,ca,ed hardy jeans$35,nfl jerseys$20

LV,CHANAL,HANDBAGS$35

NIKE SHOX+AIR MAX+TL3+OZ+NZ ONLY $35

UGG TIMBLAND+LACOSTE SHOES+ED HARDY SHOES$35

DIESEL T-SHIRT,GSTAR T-SHIRT,CA T-SHIRT,50% OFF FOR SALE $15

DIOR SUNGLASS,DG SUNGLASS$15

our website: http://www.b2b2.us

Posted by: nikejordans1 | March 2, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

"First Paterson. Now Ford. Things come in threes. New York doesn't like light skinned blacks. Who's next?"

You are an obnoxious racist as*hole. why don't you go play on Stormfront with your own kind?

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 9:52 AM

yesterday somebody said you were a girl or guy. I can't remember. which sex are you today?

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 9:58 AM | Report abuse

free shipping
accept paypal credit card
lower price fast shippment with higher quality

our website: http://www.b2b2.us

lower price fast shippment with higher quality
BEST QUALITY GUARANTEE!!

SAFTY & HONESTY GUARANTEE!!

FAST & PROMPT DELIVERY GUARANTEE!!

numder

Features: AAA QUALITY, COMPETITIVE PRICE AND SERVICE
2) They are in stock now;
3) Various styles and color for clients' choice
4) The Products are fit for most people, because of our wholesale price

ugg45$ puma gucci$35,nike jordans six ring,yeezy$%5!!

new era caps$13 gucci handbags jeans,t-shirts sunglass,caps

true religion jeans$35,ca,ed hardy jeans$35,nfl jerseys$20

LV,CHANAL,HANDBAGS$35

NIKE SHOX+AIR MAX+TL3+OZ+NZ ONLY $35

UGG TIMBLAND+LACOSTE SHOES+ED HARDY SHOES$35

DIESEL T-SHIRT,GSTAR T-SHIRT,CA T-SHIRT,50% OFF FOR SALE $15

DIOR SUNGLASS,DG SUNGLASS$15

our website: http://www.b2b2.us

Posted by: nikejordans1 | March 2, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Milbank on Bunning:

"For four days, he has been on a one-man campaign to cut off unemployment benefits, kick the unemployed off of health insurance, cut Medicare payments to doctors, deny satellite TV to rural Americans, shut down federal flood insurance and highway projects, and furlough thousands of federal workers.

Bunning's fellow Republicans are aghast.
....
This left people puzzling over Bunning's motives. Was he taking revenge on his senior colleague from Kentucky, Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, who helped to push Bunning into retirement? Or was he just being, well, crazy? This second possibility cannot be dismissed out of hand."

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Andy, I do not see why Medina would not run in the Special Election for Senate that would materialize if KBH resigns. She was not in the poll I cited.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Heavens, doof is as charming a contributor as zouk/moonbat/drivl. ;-) I suggest more fiber in your diet.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | March 2, 2010 9:49 AM

More deodorant might help you. Maybe not.

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: margaretmeyers | March 2, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

Andy, were you thinking KBH would wait until November to see if White beat Goodhair? I cannot imagine that she would, at least not for that purpose. On the other hand, were you thinking she would wait to see if the Rs picked up enough Senate seats to make her retirement an afterthought? I guess that is possible.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 9:46 AM | Report abuse

I agree with Andy on this...

"While Ford showed far less discipline than he had in his near-miss Senate candidacy in Tennessee in 2006, he almost certainly succeeded in ensuring that the next time he floats his name for an office in New York it won't be greeted with the sort of incredulity that his flirtation with this race was."

Sorry, but this was dead wrong. Ford put his foot in it so many times it was actually funny. Before he came to the state, not that many people even knew who he was. But he succeeded in antagonizing almost everyone he met or even mentioned, was trashed in most of the papers and is regarded as in the mold of spitzer and paterson -- which is to say, clueless.

Posted by: drindl | March 2, 2010 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Andy, I think it is a sure bet that Goodhair will win the R nomination, but a close bet that KBH will force the runoff.

If KBH resigns her office this year, the story line is that David Dewhurst, our LG, is the favored R in a Special Election. There are others who are likely to run on the R side. Michael Williams, on the RR Commish that regulates O&G in TX, is the likely interim appointee by Goodhair, if the Special cannot be timed closely.

From the TX Trib 2/12 poll:

In the fantasy special election to replace Hutchison in the Senate — she has said she plans to resign before her term ends, no matter how the gubernatorial race turns out — Democrat John Sharp leads, with 29 percent, followed by Dewhurst at 15 percent and five more Republicans clustered in low single digits, with each at 3 percent or less. All told, the GOP votes add up to 24 percent; besides Dewhurst, the candidates polled were sportscaster Craig James (1 percent), Railroad Commissioner Elizabeth Ames Jones (2 percent), state Sen. Florence Shapiro (2 percent), Railroad Commissioner Michael Williams (3 percent), and former Secretary of State Roger Williams (1 percent). That's the rub in this race: Sharp is the only Democrat left now that White's out, while the Republicans have to share their party's votes. Even so, “undecided” sits atop the heap at 47 percent.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Bunning is one of the most amazing people I have ever seen...

Posted by: elijah24 | March 2, 2010 9:28 AM

If you would have just stopped after saying that, your post would be 100% accurate. The rest of your post is garbage.

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Bunning is one of the most amazing people I have ever seen. He has no noticable redeeming qualities of any kind and yet the people of Kentucky (the land evolution forgot) have elected him to represent their entire state twice. And several times to represent his district. He hates pretty much everybody. He has nothing but contempt for the poor, of which his state is full. He refuses to let legislation go forward, then refuses to explain why. I don't question the inteligence of the people of Kentucky because of some state-line rivalry between them and my former home state. I question it because of the people they send to washington to represent their interests.

Posted by: elijah24 | March 2, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I'm glad Sarah Palin endorsed Perry. Perry will win it without a runoff.

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Toomey will retire Arlen Sphincter. It's a sure thing.

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: doof | March 2, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

It was hilarios - ABC News thought they were going to trap Sen Bunning in the elevator and ask him questions.

Instead, Bunning saw the elevator as his sanctuary and escape hatch.

The ABC Reporter actually appeared to press the elevator button - keeping the door open and stopping Sen Bunning's escape - which maybe was kidnapping for that moment - interesting exchange there.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

Hey! What about me? I dont understand the tea parties either.

Posted by: elijah24 | March 2, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

TEXAS

It is something to think about.

I really don't know what happened last year - the democrats talked Specter into switching - then they got a close one in Georgia - and who knows what happened in Minnesota - but suspicions abound.

Somehow, someway - the way the democrats got to 60 was NOT legitimate - and they got what they deserved in the end.

The people in Pennsylvania elected a Republican - and somehow that should have been respected - not to jame something down everyone's throats in a party-line vote.

There is such a gap between the democrats' rhetoric in 2008 and their actions in 2009 - it makes people SICK.

Anyway - the Republicans have a path to take control of the Senate - if not this year - in 2012 because the rotation favors the Republicans.

Obama has gambled everything on a horrible bet - even if he won health care - everyone doubts the pay-off of electorial gains for years - would have come played out the way the democrats think.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

AndyR3

You do not understand the tea party movement.

I think it is hilarious that Nancy Pelosi is making statements that she has something in common with the tea partiers.

The democrats appear to have some sort of brain - connect to any kind of protest - they love the protest - and it appears that the issues are less important than the protest itself.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to Mass today! 37th and I agree on something.

I cannot believe that Cillizza thinks Ford's pusillanimous foray into NY politics raised his cred! Ford was exclusively preening for more, and better paid, private sector work.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | March 2, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Welcome to politics in 'the state that time forgot'. Perry will swamp Hutchinson, and she will go back to the Senate and the spotlight she requires. Texas Schools will remain in the bottom 10% of the nation, and Texas will continue to lead the nation in percentage of residents without health insurance.

Posted by: Fredneck2 | March 2, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

AndyR3, as a rEsident of PA I hear ya. Toomey's message of Free Market/Big Business Tax breaks/No Gov't Oversight is not going to fly with the voters. They are much more concerned about themselves than a bunch of companies being free to keel haul the country again.

The past couple of weeks Sestak has let it be known that he was "offered" a "high governmnet position" by the administration if he would drop his challenge to Specter. I think Sestak thought people would join him in outrage. Instead we all shrugged in non-surprise and said "Joe, why make trouble?"

And he *has* made trouble. He has split Democratic fund raising and gathered a big pot that is going to be wasted. He has left his old CD vulnerable to Republican take-over. He is making trouble for another Democrat. Now he is kicking about something that is done all the time, actively trying to make his President look bad. Democrats in Pennsylvania are not smiling at him.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | March 2, 2010 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Harold Ford - forget it - just forget it - People simply do not realize how complex New York politics are - one has to spend years, decades to be in a position to run state-wide, unless one has a well-established backer who has all the contacts.

Harold Ford is coming completely out of that world - New York is not just about raising money and throwing tv commercials up as in many other parts of the country.

Queens has something like 30 separate neighborhoods with over a hundred ethnic groups - Brooklyn has more established neighborhoods - but the political structure is more entrenched - the Bronx is there - and those neighborhoods are difficult politically.

New York is not just Manhattan - even in Manhattan there are all these political clubs which have a great deal of influence outside the regular party structure.

Then there are a multitude of cities upstate which take hours and hour just to travel to - Buffalo is eight hours away - there is post-industrial economy upstate which one can imagine is extremely difficult to deal with politically - one has to spend years making contacts up there.

Harold Ford - I don't even think he got as far as making a good list of what he had to do.

Then there is Long Island - again very difficult place to build support.

Harold Ford could get a private plane to get him up to Syracuse - but who is he going to see when he gets there ?

Just forget it - I don't even think that Harold Ford understands New Yorkers.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 2, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

Elijah, that caught me off guard too. Ron Paul should be the hero of the Tea-party movement, but as you say this is the type of thing that happens when you don't have a strong party establishment.

Thanks for the insite Mark, I had forgotten that she recently adopted two kids. Her term goes until 2012, and I could see her not wanting to spend that much time in DC with small kids (not that DC isn't a great place to raise kids). I could see her announce that she will stay in office until November though and see what happens with the majority.
One question I would have would be who on the GOP side in Texas would go after her seat if she does step down. Any thoughts Mark?

Posted by: AndyR3 | March 2, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Harold Ford is gonna make a ton of money doing some meaningless work for which he will be forgotten quickly. I wish him well, and I'm glad he's letting someone who is engaged with the real world do the legislating.

Posted by: elijah24 | March 2, 2010 8:23 AM | Report abuse

I can't be the only one who is absolutely dumbfounded (go ahead children. Use that word to call me dumb) that Ron Paul has a primary challenge from the tea-party. What more proof do you need that these nimrods have no direction, no philosophy and absolutely no idea what the he11 they're doing?

Posted by: elijah24 | March 2, 2010 8:16 AM | Report abuse

"I coulda beat 'er, but I didn't wanna waste my time." -- Harold Ford

Posted by: margaretmeyers | March 2, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Andy - if she is in the runoff, then she will not resign tomorrow. I think it is 50-50 as to whether she will keep her resignation pledge, eventually. It is true that she wants her adopted kids in suburban public schools, not DC private schools. It is true that she could live well in Dallas or Austin, where Ray is most of the time. At 66 to be the mother of two adopted kids still under ten is not cool for a hard working senator, but would be doable for a governor in Austin. Or a part time lawyer in Dallas.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Mark, what do you think the chances are that KBH leaves the senate after today like she promised? My vote is 15% chance she leaves, but I was wondering if you had heard antyhing different.

Posted by: AndyR3 | March 2, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

On #1 it would be an amazing turn of fortune if Hutchinson comes in third. It was pretty well beleived that she would wipe the floor with Perry. Looks like we got that one wrong. I bet that Owens will start to target Hutchinson voters starting tomorrow to see if he can sweep up the folks like Mark, who would have voted for KBH but can't stand Perry.

CC, how does Ford's abissmal performance in this ill advised stab at running for Senate lead to the conclusion that "next time he floats his name for an office in New York it won't be greeted with the sort of incredulity that his flirtation with this race was."
I would say that this experience will lead to the exact opposite effect.

Rahm Emmanuel is not the right person for the job. The Chief of staff needs to be a calm and well-like person on BOTH sides of the aisle. Also I really dont' care what Debbie Schultz has to say, everytime I hear her speak I realize how little gravitas some members of congress actually have.

Specter has nothing to worry about since although Toomey isn't well known in Pennsylvania when they do find out what he is all about they will be begging Specter to stay in office.

Posted by: AndyR3 | March 2, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

I predict a runoff for the Rs in TX. I am voting in that primary. It is the likely source of Supreme Ct. justices and State School Board members and is where the action is, so it will draw many who do not identify as R. This should skew the polling somewhat against Goodhair.

In my men's group last night, all five were ready to vote R today, but only four will actually get to the polls - one has to take his wife to the Heart Hospital. The four are voting for one of the two competent judicial candidates against a few incompetents in one S. Ct. place, the non-Perry appointment in another, the non-creationist for our School Bd. rep, and KBH. One of the four is toying with a Medina vote. Only one of us would have been picked up in a poll of Rs. I did get picked up as an I in a telephone push-poll this weekend.

I encountered two loyal Ds yesterday who asked me which judges to vote for in the R primary. The Houston folks think 15% of early R voters were actually Ds. It is possible in White's hometown that some might vote for RP as the target of opportunity, but that is not usually the case for x-over voters.

So my anecdotal take is that there will be a runoff.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 2, 2010 7:33 AM | Report abuse