The Most Important Number in Politics Today

Kelly Ayotte is running for the Senate in New Hampshire. Photo by Lois Romando

That's the number of days before New Hampshire Attorney General Kelly Ayotte (R) formally resigns her post and begins to prepare in earnest for a bid for the seat being vacated by Sen. Judd Gregg (R) in 2010.

"I have decided to resign as Attorney General in order to explore a campaign for the United States Senate," Ayotte said in a statement today.

National Republicans could barely contain their glee at Ayotte's announcement as it -- finally -- gives them a top-tier recruit in a state where the party has suffered a series of bad losses over the last two cycles.

In her early forties, Ayotte was appointed to her current position by Democratic Gov. John Lynch in 2005 and re-appointed a few months ago for a second four year term. (Some controversy has erupted of late over the question of whether Ayotte pledge to serve out her term when she accepted the re-appointment.)

Given the amount of time and attention national Republicans have dedicated to Ayotte, it's clear where the party establishment's loyalties lie in this race. Businessman Fred Tausch, however, has hired several staffers of former Sen. John Sununu (R) and appears to be moving toward the race as well.

Ayotte joins Florida Gov. Charlie Crist and former Ohio Rep. Rob Portman as a tier one recruits for Senate Republicans who continue to look for serious candidates in Arkansas and Colorado to fill out their candidate roster heading into 2010.

By Chris Cillizza  |  July 7, 2009; 12:41 PM ET
Categories:  Most Important Number
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mouthpiece Theater: Big Fish
Next: AFL-CIO Likely to Weigh in on PA-Senate

Comments

@margaret - Very perceptive comment. Secondo's preschool teacher was in her first year. I can honestly say that she could get to him in ways I couldn't. I have learned a helluva a lot from her and am deeply grateful. I'd apologize for going off topic, but on topic posts tend to be a rarity around here. :-) I figure the Fix community is like a disfunctional family getting together for Thanksgiving. Except we do it every day!

@drindl - Brian Moran resigned his seat in the VA house to run for governor. Does that make him a coward? He lost to Creigh Deeds, which means he gave up his political career for a shot at governor. Would you use the same words to describe him?

Let's consider Bob Dole, who resigned his seat to run against Bill Clinton in 1996,. Now, he gave up seniority in the U.S. Senate (which he would have retained had he not won). That struck me as a brave act. Foolish, perhaps. But not cowardly.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 8, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Health Care Providers Sue State Over $110 Million
By Elaine Grant on Friday, June 19, 2009 [NHPR].

A group of 200 health care providers are suing the state to stop it from taking more than $100 million dollars from a state-run malpractice insurance fund.

Lawmakers are counting on that money to help fill a budget shortfall estimated at more than half a billion dollars.
----
Plaintiffs also sued the insurance commissioner, saying he is illegally interfering with the board that runs the fund.
...
And they sued Attorney General Kelly Ayotte, who represents the state and the insurance department on the issue.

---------------------------------------------------------
This is not a political or a legal impropriety. Either the state can use the surplus, or it cannot, and then it must raise taxes.

Ayotte is well thought of in legal circles and has earned a rep as a political moderate.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | July 7, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Oops! I've once more wandered into King_of_Zouk's private blog, to judge by all the posts! I hope he'll excuse the intrusion.

This business of elected politicians giving up their office before their term expires is very troubling. Yes, I know Obama did it, but I should imagine that he was the last person politicians--ESPECIALLY at the local level--should emulate (particularly on the Republican side of political spectrum). Doesn't ANYONE plan ahead? Doesn't anyone believe in the saying 'laid cards are played cards'???

Posted by: sverigegrabb | July 7, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD

I agree about the trend business, but if this case is a real mess and she is leaving within several months of it going to trial and the stakes are high none of which I am sure about, then quitting under those circumstances is irresponsible. I think then I do not care.
that people have developed the attitude that it is OK to quit when you want. If she has made adequate provisions for this problem which she unwittingly created.

If she is running out on the problem shortly before it goes to court then I am not as forgiving.

Sanford should be drummed out of office not for cheating on his wife but for leaving the state without adequate provision for leadership. I do not buy the concept that officeholders own their position. They have a responsibility to execute their office with diligence, Sanford did not and maybe it was not done here.

Posted by: Gator-ron | July 7, 2009 7:16 PM | Report abuse

@Fairlingtonblade: when my Autie was little I'd hear the parents of the older kids and think 'why are they so negative?' They weren't being negative, they were just confronting some of the unmovables you come up against with an Autie teenager. It can be hard to get the Autie to invest effort themselves, and high school teachers see themselves as the kings of their class rooms and are a little less willing to meet the IEP. I have to say, I find that the young teachers with their new degrees are better at accommodations than the older teachers.

For Secondo, you'll see a lot of new programs that the generation ahead of my Autie, and her generation of Auties, have trailblazed. St Joseph's University (not a 1/2 mile from my home) is starting a program to support Auties in a college environment and I am looking forward to seeing how that develops. They are going to wrap the program into their teaching and nursing schools -- to train the next generation of teachers and medical personnel. I hope it isn't a hugely expensive add-on to tuition.

Sorry to be off topic. Down with the Republicans! Man the barricades! Universal health care! Quitter Palin in 2012!

Posted by: margaretmeyers | July 7, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

drindl | July 7, 2009 5:57 PM

I am not very computer savvy,do you have a reference for this opinion and the law suit issue. I think that this is the kind of behavior by politicians that needs to be eliminated. You may think that this is a partisan issue but I think it is more serious than that.

Posted by: Gator-ron | July 7, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

"As NH Democratic Party chair Ray Buckley said in a statement today:

We're seeing a national trend where Republicans have abandoned their responsibilities to their constituents in favor of political gain. From Alaska to New Hampshire, Republicans just can't seem to honor their commitment to the public. Not unlike Sarah Palin, Kelly Ayotte has broken her promise to the people she represents and put politics before public service.""

Um, this is just ridiculous. Two people does not make a trend. Besides, people quit positions all the time to run. Palin is just different in that she is quitting really early. This is just mindless partisanship.

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

So -- it turns out Ayotte is a coward and incompetent to boot. Fiigures:

"Ayotte isn't just going back on some personal promise, though. She's walking away from a huge budget crisis in New Hampshire -- and one brought on in part by an opinion she issued saying the state had a right to use $110 million it now turns out it did not have had the right to use. Oops! That's in litigation now -- just the time for the state to lack an attorney general.

As NH Democratic Party chair Ray Buckley said in a statement today:

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

'that explains your social skills'

the pot knows nothing but how to call the kettle black.

'ideas' -- ROFLOL. gawd, let me get me breath back. truly the most unintentionally hilarious troll i have ever seen! precious.

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

yeah zouk I work in a basement slogging out JavaScript for minimum wage. You got me pegged.

And I have seventeen cats, and the house is a sea of fleas. The sherriff is banging on the door with an eviction notice but I sent all the money to Obama.

Anything else?

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

True, I don't think I could ever be as prolific of a copy and paster as you. I take the easy "quitters" way out by coming up with my own thoughts. Not quite as time consuming as scouring the blogs, but whatever.

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I don't drink soda pop, zouk. Can't stand that sh*t.

Posted by: chrisuxcox

but the rest is accurate?

Just like the failure lines I stated. you chose one to dispute, the one that anyone with eyes knows is true, and ignored all the rest.

Typical Lib. hide from the facts. Pick the emotional issues.

but it is getting harder to dispute the egregious errors of the Lib ways. Even Ohioans get it. It won't be too long before even dingbat Minnosota figures it out. Seems NJ and VA already got it too.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Ddawd - It's not a fair fight. I only take on someone who can actually challenge me. sorry.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't drink soda pop, zouk. Can't stand that sh*t.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

One year straight of writing code?

that explains your social skills.

do all the other geeks get turned on when you pull that nerd speak?

all the limited intelligence clock punchers write code for us too. Occasionally we let them out of the basement for some sunlight and fresh air. If they haven't blocked the door with empty mountain dew cans.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

"Unlike your particularly queer ways, I don't broadcast my personal information. no one cares how many houses, cars, boats I own. no one cares about my pets.

all they care about are ideas."

You should stick to your personal information. Unlike your "ideas," at least the personal stuff hasn't been thoroughly disproven.

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 5:33 PM | Report abuse

all they care about are ideas.

==

Yeah whenever I think of "who posts the most intriguing ideas on The Fix," it's "king_of_zouk" that comes to mind.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

all they care about are ideas.

but now that I have said that, I understand completely why you trade in the other stuff.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry zouk but everyone here is very happy with my work and my initiative.

Guess you've never worked with anyone who can actually type, how long do you think it takes me to do a post? I'm so fast on the keyboard it makes an irritating clattering sound.

As for Bangalore hot-shots, the best money I made since the dotcom crash was cleaning up after those bozos. I did a year in Windows Mobile rewriting from scratch what a team of six TCS "developers" screwed up, a steaming heap of useless garbage code loaded with try / catch / throw.

Not only did I do the same work singlehandedly in the same time, but mine worked.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I haven't handled a tech support call for sixteen years.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is evident you don't do much of anything. except snarky remarks. no wonder Indians are about to get your job. I bet they don't blog all day while the boss is not looking.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

"@DDAWD - I've read the logistics issue and strongly agree that it would preclude running for re-election. However, given her national profile and 2 years to run, I think that's more than enough time. However, I think the financial issues and relentless negative press weighed heavily."

I'm not so sure. For the last election, the campaigning seemed to get started in 2007. Palin would be done at about the end of 2011. I don't know what goes on behind the scenes and I'm not real privy to what groundwork needs to be laid and how much she actually needs to be around in DC before the start of the campaign, but I think she'll be at a disadvantage if she waits until the end of her term.

But I'm just speculating. Other than her speech, I don't have any good reason to think one way or the other.

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I guess the word is out that Obambi likes to hear the anti-American rants, he must miss his church going days.

Putin lectured him for an hour today on how the USSR actually won the cold War. Obambi smiled and adored the ex KGB agent the whole time. He was fondly recalling a similar lecture from his other pal Chavez.

Later when questioned about it, he denied the US had ever won that war and considered apologizing for freeing East Europe.

he then offered to throw all of our weapons away if everyone would just LIKE him.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

@Chris - Congrats. You've reduced Zouk to needling you about punctuation.

==

No he's trying to put me down for being a developer, as though I'm some sort of script kiddie who needs to put in time doing tech support. I haven't handled a tech support call for sixteen years.

Zouk would have us believe he's a major achiever. Owns several houses, etc.

I ain't buying, because ALL the GOP trolls I've ever seen claim to be way WAY too successful for anyone who would bother trolling, to say nothing of trolling a 112 hours a week.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

needling you about punctuation
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Career actually.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Failure is bowing and scraping to a Saudi Despot and then denying you did it.

==

Obama shook his hand

Bush kissed him, and held his hand like a schoolgirl on a date.

You're SO tired.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

@margaretmyers - McDonnell did the same thing here; resigning to run full time as governor. I would hope that the top lawyer of a state (it does have 1.3M) would be more than a full time job.

Incidentally, thank you for your post yesterday at On Parenting. It was quite moving. I don't know where Secondo is headed, but I can see a future.

@Chris - Congrats. You've reduced Zouk to needling you about punctuation.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Failure is passing a loony tunes climate tax in the house when it won't even muster 35 votes in the Senate.

failure is promising that a quickly passed spendulus bill will guarantee that unemployment won't go over 9%.

Failure is begging and scraping for troops in Afghanistan, money from china and anyone to take the Gitmo prisoners, only to get laughed at by foreigners.

Failure is promising government health care, then suggesting you will take anything you can get, just to register a single success in anything ever.

Failure is bowing and scraping to a Saudi Despot and then denying you did it.

Failure is silence when people desperate for freedom rise up.

Failure is telling russia that we have a minor disagreement about invading democratic neighbors.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Down 40:60, and playing defense. Is there a "mercy rule" in this league?

Posted by: mikeinmidland

==

No, the rule is "double down on failure"

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I guess the hunt for wayward semicolons has utterly perplexed chrissuxcox today. She seems to have an abundance of free time again. not that the intellectual stimulation of hunting for green characters instead of red ones has taught the fool anything.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Whether the Rs can hold on to Gregg's senate seat, I don't know.

The fact that they are so gleeful about merely attracting a "top-tier" (read: electable) candidate, to attempt to hold a seat, is fascinating.

Down 40:60, and playing defense. Is there a "mercy rule" in this league?

Posted by: mikeinmidland | July 7, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

If the sum of "reason5"'s report and "bsimon1"'s speculation is that the Rs who actually win in '10 are moderates, it could presage an earlier resurrection for Rs than was previously thought possible in the punditocracy. "Big tent" should gain more votes than "small tent". That seems like an arithmetical verity to me.

==

I'll believe it when I see it. All indications among Republican leadership real and self-annointed is that the move further right is if anything accelerating.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mark_in_austin | July 7, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Those 18 straight months of job losses started in January 2008. Do you mean that, as soon as Obama started to get ahead of Clinton, companies all over the country started to fire workers? Because they knew Obama would be bad for the economy? Because they knew McCain/Romney/Huckabee didn't have a chance?

==

You are trying to argue logically with a guy whose party affiliation should tell you that he jettisoned logic long ago.

Not to mention, a guy who's characterized by infantile wordplay.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Just a reminder, drainyou, that they will lie to one another as easily as they will to voters.

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

REPUBLICANS JUST CAN'T STOP LYING.

Posted by: drindl

==

well it's not like telling the truth is going to do them any good

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Is quitting now part of the Republican Party's platform? It would seem fairly easy to remind the citizens of New Hampshire of the record of how readily Republican's walk away from their oaths of office and promises of service, just as Ayotte has done here.

In this case a commitment to a full term WAS an issue, because there were already whispers that the GOP would like Ayotte to run for major office. In weighing Attorney General candidates Governor Lynch considered that a negative and asked Ayotte for her plans and in typical Republican fashion, she lied to him.

Posted by: DrainYou | July 7, 2009 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Zouk,

Wow. Those business-types didn't have much faith in the GOP, did they?

Posted by: mikeinmidland | July 7, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

The Exxon Mobile Wh*res are at again:

'In the first Senate hearing today on clean energy legislation supported by President Barack Obama, Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-RI) compared the Senate to the “ExxonMobil board room.” Whitehouse expressed his concern that the United States would be left behind in the clean energy race, saying, “I do not want to see American industries at the back of that parade with a broom.” Addressing the Obama Cabinet members before him — Ken Salazar, Stephen Chu, Tom Vilsack, and Lisa Jackson — Whitehouse apologized for the denial of man-made climate change by his fellow senators:

We know that this is probably — along with the ExxonMobil board room — the last place that sober people debate whether or not these problems are real, but we intend to work with you anyway, and we hope to give you strong legislative support if we can.

ExxonMobil, the world’s largest company, is still directing money to climate-denial front groups, and has spent more than $9.3 million lobbying Congress this year alone. Sen. Whitehouse has previously noted the insidious influence of polluter spending on the Senate’s willingness to take the threat of climate change seriously

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

reason5- it looks like the states where the GOP is 'recruiting good candidates' are the states where they're recruiting moderate candidates. Is Cornyn recruiting towards the center?

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"Basic cause and effect is rather simple actually:"

Agreed. Although it does say something when you can't even get such a simple concept right.

Teeheeheee OBIMBO!! Teeheeheee
Teeheeheee CHRISSUXCOX!! Teeheeheee

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 3:50 PM | Report abuse

drivl has bounced from its rubber room, over to Huff and ended up here. How very springy of it.

yesterday it was spreading lies and gossip about pretend FBI investigations.

Delusional? you make the call.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

' On June 15, the ODOT issued a statement noting that the stimulus funds were helping to create jobs. “As contracts are awarded, construction companies begin to mobilize workers for these jobs,” the statement read.

Today, ODOT issued a new statement distancing itself from Boehner. The Cleveland Plain Dealer reports:

ODOT spokesman Scott Varner called Boehner’s statement “disappointing.”

Varner noted that ODOT had just OK’d six more stimulus road projects, which will cost about $43 million.

Boehner’s office was forced to backpedal in the face of new criticism from ODOT. After initially claiming that not a single contract had resulted from the stimulus funds, Boehner issued a revised statement, complaining that “the entire process has been absurdly slow moving just as Republicans warned.”

Just last month, Boehner was touting the fact that stimulus was creating “much-needed jobs” for his state. Boehner just can’t keep his talking points straight in his feverish rush to issue political attacks against Obama.'

REPUBLICANS JUST CAN'T STOP LYING.

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Oh god, hilarious. pataki in new york? LOL. He's dead meat, poison here. Go ahead, run him. Him or bozo the clown, results will be the same.

Lying republicans, lying again:

"WASHINGTON — When U.S. House Minority Leader John Boehner told a newscaster Sunday that not a single stimulus-funded road contract in his home state of Ohio had been let, he was wrong.

The Ohio Department of Transportation has OK'd 52 stimulus-funded road and bridge projects at a cost of nearly $84 million."

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Basic cause and effect is rather simple actually:

Cause: Lib economics
Effect: poverty, misery, malaise, unemployment

Cause: surrender and apology
Effect: missiles, nukes, kidnappings, bombings, coups

Cause: Lib governance
Effect: deficits, corruption, bickering, paybacks, graft

Cause: Lib Morality
Effect: abortions, murder, homelessness, sloth, drugs, laziness, stupidity

See, simple. Even a Lib can get it.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow, kudos to John Cornyn. Originally, looking at the downward Republican spiral over the past 3 years and the fact that Republicans got a net gain of 4 seats, winning 6 altogether, in 2004 it looked like Republicans were just on the defense. All of that coupled with the retirements of 5 promenient Republican senators: Gregg, Voinovich, Brownback, Bond & Martinez it looked disastrous for Republicans in 2010. Then throw on the problems in Kentucky with Jim Bunning...and Republicans seemingly have a mess! However, in all 5 states: NH, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri & Florida Republicans have found great candidates. Ayotte in New Hampshire is huge, as she is certain to have Sen. Gregg's blessing. She likely begins this race as the favorite over Rep. Hodes. Now in NH R's have Ayotte, Portman in Ohio & Blunt in Missouri. In Florida there is a Republican primary with Crist vs. Rubio, but Crist is the overwhelming fav. in that primary & against Meeks in the general. Crist should win much bigger than Martinez would have. In Kansas, with Sebelius out of the race, the only election that matters is the Republican primary between Thiart vs. Moran. The winner there will be the next US Senator from Kansas. It also looks like Bunning will bow out eventually in Ky. & let Sec. of State Greyson take the reins...which should end up a R hold in 2010.

Not only has Cornyn recruited great on defense in 2010, but he's also found room for offense even though R's had a great year in 2004. In Conn. he's recruited frmr. US Rep. Rob Simmons to take advantage of R Gov. Rell's popularity on the ticket & Dodd's ethic's issues. In NY, Cornyn looks on the verge of getting Frmr. 3 time Gov. George Pataki to run, if Pataki's in that's a definte pick-up opportunity. In California, Carly Farioni is in to win and is willing to spend lots of her own money to do so. Boxer shot herself in the foot as of late, especially with the whole "senator vs. ma'am" tandrem. US Rep. Ryan looks to be taking a hard look at running against Sen. Feingold in Wisconsin. Arkansas & Colorodo are definately on the table with good candidates, Cornyn must get one for each of those states. Also, if Cornyn gets Frmr. Gov. & US Rep. Castle in Delaware that one will be a Republican pick-up. John Cornyn is the man to thank for the Republicans if we make gains in 2010.

Posted by: reason5 | July 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"Batty Libs. did it ever occur to you that anyone saw the disaster that Obimbo is coming a mile away? the crash began the day he pulled ahead in the polls."

Dude, who do you think actually believes this?

Posted by: DDAWD

==

You can bet that the 19-percenters believe it with absolute unshakable conviction.

If the Party says that 2 + 2 = 5, then five it is, and only a Socialist idiot would believe that it's four.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Nothing like a little unemployment to focus the mind (not to exclude you Libs), or a little free time.

I do think it is interesting that politicians feel free to say just about anything these days. In the Age of Obimbo, you can get away with any claim, no matter how grandiose or false. the press is such a lap dog, they would never dare investigate a Lib and if they ever bothered to ask a question of a Repub, it seems so out of character anymore.

but the press is going to have all the leisure time they deserve, along with the other unemployed. thier "service" is no longer valuable.

Example - if we just pass this unread stimulus bill today, unemployment will freeze below 9%. And I know this because I was once a community organizer in charge of hundreds of unemployed people.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Whatever. For someone who supposedly does advanced statistics and computer modeling or whatever, you seem to know nothing about basic cause and effect.

Zook's list of things to do:
1) Find people who aren't sure whether I'm an idiot.
2) Eliminate all doubt
3) Go back to item 1

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Dude, who do you think actually believes this?

Posted by: DDAWD
>>>>>>>>>>>>

It seems that over half of the good people of Ohio do.

amatuer hour is coming to a close. Our temporary insanity is revealed.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Dude, who do you think actually believes this?

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

That said, it's quite impressive that a man who has only been in office for ~5 months is responsible for 18 months of job losses.

Posted by: VTDuffman

Batty Libs. did it ever occur to you that anyone saw the disaster that Obimbo is coming a mile away? the crash began the day he pulled ahead in the polls. most businesses prepareds ahead of time for the socialist ways he brought. Only a Lib would wait until inauguration day to wonder about what the new administration might do to the economy.
I guess even Libs see it now.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Obama's political operation always cared more about state numbers than national polls, and with good reason, so this has to be slightly alarming:

President Barack Obama gets a lackluster 49 percent - 44 percent approval rating in Ohio, considered by many to be the most important swing state in a presidential election, according to a Quinnipiac University poll released today. This is President Obama's lowest approval rating in any national or statewide Quinnipiac University poll since he was inaugurated and is down from 62 percent - 31 percent in a May 6 survey.

As you can see the rest of the world has shaken off the Kool-aid effects and are starting to come to their senses, based on the 6 months of real evidence (as opposed to charming lies, empty promises and overblown rhetoric). VA and NJ (blue NJ??) are going to elect an R governor, a direct reply to socialism.

all the teleprompters in the world will not stop this slide.

however, we could consider:

stop spending
stop surrenduring
shrink government

Maybe Obimbo will consider ruling Honduras instead. A banana despot is much more his style. then he could pal around with his buddies chavez and castro and snicker about the evils of capitalism.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

" 18 straight months of job losses"
...
"Lib Economic Effects"

I know you're just a troll, so replying to you at all is simply giving you the precious attention that you so desire, but I thought this was funny how you contradict yourself in your own posts. (well, as far as cut and pastes from other people count as "your own posts.")

Posted by: VTDuffman | July 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

This resignation gives me great concern. If this trend continues of people in high government offices resign not to run for office but to make plans to run. Sanford felt comfortable leaving the state and the country without making backup arrangements for command. Palin's behavior is well known and hard to characterize because her statement was hardly coherent.

In this NH case I am more sympathetic because she had already served for four years. However her posturing that this is a noble action of a public servant belies her behavior which says her attitude is the job is there for her rather than she is there for the job. This hardly distinguishes her from her, however.

Posted by: Gator-ron | July 7, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gator-ron | July 7, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

President Barack Obama's Orwellian rhetoric has become absolutely pathological. And it's become so blatant that you can almost guarantee that the truth is the exact opposite of what he says. To wit:

The president insisted he had no intention of taking over Chrysler and General Motors.

He did.

The president calls "cap-and-trade" environmental legislation a "market-based" approach, based on "sound science."

It is not.

The president claims his health care reform plan is not "socialized medicine."

It is.

He claims it won't harm private insurance.

It will.

He claims service won't be rationed.

But to control costs as he proposes, it must be. (Even top aides concede the point.)

Mr. Obama says he supports "democracy" in Latin America.

How can he? He also supports the Marxist ways of Manuel Zelaya, legally removed from Honduras' presidency by the constitutional actions of the legislative and judicial branches.

And the examples of this president's mythography go on and on.

Some will dismiss Barack Obama's pronouncements merely as "rhetoric" and "posturing." "Everybody does it," they'll say. "It's politics."

But this is different and decidedly more dangerous: The president of the United States says one thing and does another and claims things that cannot possibly be.

Whether by delusion or by design, Barack Obama is being dishonest with the American people. And that is a harbinger of national disaster.

Libs have to hide their true intentions.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Late payments on home-equity loans rose to a record in the first quarter as 18 straight months of job losses and a slumping economy left more borrowers unable to pay their debts, the American Bankers Association reported. Delinquencies on home-equity loans climbed to 3.52 percent of all accounts from 3.03 percent in the fourth quarter, and late payments on home-equity lines of credit climbed to a record 1.89 percent, the group reported today.

Lib economic effects

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

For those wondering when the American people are going to start holding President Obama accountable for the weak economy, the answer could be: very soon. Via Ben Smith, I see this new Quinnipiac poll, which found that Obama's favorability rating has dropped to 49 percent in what is considered one of the most reliable political bellwether states in the nation. More telling, voters there now disapprove of the way Obama is handling the economy

Truth leaks out.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

A former executive for a defense contractor with ties to Democratic U.S. Rep. John Murtha has been charged by federal prosecutors with taking about $200,000 in kickbacks from a subcontractor. Richard Ianieri, of Doylestown, Pa., served as president and CEO of Coherent Systems International Corp., the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported.

Libs at work.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the moonbats are out in force today. Was there a breakout at the asylum?

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yes, all this 'fiscal conservatism' coming out of the rightwing might feel as it were real if there had been the slightest concern over bush's entire term, about the trillions we were pouring into Iraq -- for what? and the exploding deficit. But as long as that taxpayer money was being shoveled into phony republican 'contractors' -- not a peep!

Even when we were sending over literally planeloads of cash, bricks of hundred dollars bills with no paperwork -- billions unaccounted for -- NO PROBLEM! So forgive me if this newfound 'fiscal discipline' rings a little phoney.

Also, let us remember that the majority of the debt the winger weinies are whining about now was incurred by their messiah bush.

Remember, it's only 'reckless' spending if it's done by Democrats. Because republicans cannot be accountable for anything, it's against their 'principles.'

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AndyR3

==

If we were talking about 2012 I might agree with you, but I think two years is too short a time to expect voters to forget who got us into this mess.

The GOP is going full-bore trying to cast the recession as Obama's, and there is no indication that it's working. America seems to have come out of the amnesia fog of the Bush administration, amazingly enough.

What a pity the recovery isn't retroactive, some rage at the ginning up of the Iraq invasion would be healthy and cathartic.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Chrisfox8 -- Palin's speech *was* a mess. I was half convinced there was going to be some disasterous scandal revealed on Monday -- why else would she make such a poor, panicked speech in such a lame setting on a Friday in the Summer? That's 'they've got me' time.
If she really was just resigning to free herself up to make some money and raise her profile she needed help so she didn't look like she was running from a subpoena.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | July 7, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised she'd have to resign her current position in order to run for the next position.
Being Attorney General for such a small state (both physically and in population, and even in the amount of industry) can't be such a very taxing job, and the same aspects would make it easy to campaign for a statewide position.
I suppose there might be a perceived conflict of interest, but this wouldn't be a stumbling block if you were scrupulously honest in your dealing. People used to run for higher office all the time from another elected position.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | July 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

This will definilty make NH alot more competetive then it was two days ago, but I think this as well as about 8 other senate seats are going to come down to where the economy is one year from today. IF the public thinks we have turned a corner and are headed back out of this recession, the democrats are going to kick rear end in '10. If not the GOP might gain 5 seats all together and NH will be one of the seats that stays Red.

Posted by: AndyR3 | July 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"This is a big get. Although NH has gone mostly blue of late, there is a long standing fiscal conservatism in the state."

which is why they will not buy into the republican party of fiscal insanity, the party whose deregulatory fervor created this crash and drove this country into the financial toilet.

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

"The only reason New Hampshire is trending to the Democrap Socialist Party, and away from the GOP, is because of the ever more Democrap Socialists moving into the state from the surrounding (Democrap Socialist Party--controlled) states."

Here's your potty-mouthed, IQ of 18, GOP of today, throwing the usual feces through the bars of his cage.

My apologies to monkeys everywhere for the insult.

Posted by: drindl | July 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Democrap Socialist Party

==

(stifles yawn)

this crap gets old

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

The only reason New Hampshire is trending to the Democrap Socialist Party, and away from the GOP, is because of the ever more Democrap Socialists moving into the state from the surrounding (Democrap Socialist Party--controlled) states. After making these other states unlivable with their high taxes and far-left Socialist/Communist laws, these far-lefties are getting away from the very environment that they've created by moving to NH. In other words, they want other people--the poorer ones-- to live by the high taxes and liberal Socialist restrictive laws that they've created, but they themselves won't, so they move to a GOP--controlled state where one still has freedoms. It figures!

Posted by: armpeg | July 7, 2009 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Farlington Blade writes
"T-Paw seems perfectly capable of running Minnesota until 2010 and then (assuming here) running for Prez. Seems like if that were the plan, Palin could have done the same."

We'll have to agree to disagree on Gov Pawlenty's alleged 'capability' to run the state while seeking higher office. Personally, I'd prefer he'd resign - if he didn't have a less competent Lt Governor (Carol Molnau).

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 7, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

==

Again, you're presuming rational planning.

Every indication says that she thought up her resignation the morning of the day she gave the speech. She claims it was after long deliberation, but long deliberation would have given her time to come up with a coherent speech instead of that babble she delivered.

She probably thinks she can pray her way to the presidency.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 7, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The logistics of having to be in Alaska most of the time might make it impossible to get a good campaign started. It's a lot easier to get to New Hampshire from Minnesota than from Alaska.

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

As soon as she announces, I'm happy to credit her with dedicating herself to a run (though not the nobility of putting Alaska through having a governor running for another office). I think she's decided to focus full time on earning some serious scratch and leaving open the possibility of running for the presidency.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 7, 2009 1:43 PM | Report abuse

"@DDAWD - What's Palin running for?

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade"

I'm assuming President.

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

@DDAWD - What's Palin running for?

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 7, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Having been appointed by a Dem governor, I'm guessing Ayotte is something of a moderate. Does this mean the GOP is backing away from 'litmus test' candidates & has realized the need to attract swing voters?

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 7, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Breaking news: Huffington Post hires Dan Froomkin!

"Froomkin will oversee a staff of five reporters and an Assistant Editor, guide The Huffington Post's Washington reporting, and write at least two posts per week to be featured on its main page and Politics page."

Nice! And let's not forget to thank the Washington Post for paying Froomkin an estimated half million dollars over the last five years to get him ready for the big time. Yet another huge investment of WaPo money that winds up paying off for the competition.

Posted by: whatmeregister | July 7, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Great news!

Posted by: dee150586 | July 7, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

OMG, a female Republican quitting her current job to run for a higher position!

Posted by: DDAWD | July 7, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

This is a big get. Although NH has gone mostly blue of late, there is a long standing fiscal conservatism in the state. Boston commuters moving north have moved the needle, but they're not exactly fond of Taxachusetts either.

Combine a possibly continuing recession or weak recovery with exploding debt and you've got a serious chance for a GOP hold.

BB