The most important number in politics today

148.5

That's the number of dollars -- in millions! -- that has been spent this year on ads by the outside interest groups advocating for and against President Barack Obama's health care plan, according to a comprehensive document detailing the air wars over the legislation.

As of this week, groups favoring the bill have spent $73.5 million on ads while those opposing the plan have dropped $75 million -- a stunningly large total that shows the massive political stakes tied to the legislation.

For much of the fall, the groups opposed to Obama's plan -- led by the Chamber of Commerce and the 60 Plus Association -- drastically outspent those supportive of the legislation.

In the first week of November, the opposition spent $12 million to just $2.5 million for the those who support the package. That margin narrowed to a $600,000 edge for the opposition in the second week and widened again to a $4.5 million advantage in the third week.

But, then, the Senate voted last weekend to bring the bill to the floor and the tables turned. For this week, the pro-Obama bill side is spending roughly $1 million more than those who oppose reform thanks to significant increases in spending by the AARP and Americans for Stable Quality Care.

Allies of the White House paint the shift in spending as a sign of momentum for the bill as Senate Majority Harry Reid (Nev.) prepares to introduce it in the coming week.

The increased spending by those backing the President's plan comes in the nick of time for those hoping to pressure lawmakers to back the plan. A Kaiser Family Foundation survey earlier this month showed that, for the first time since the health care debate began in earnest, people had seen more ads opposed to the legislation (37 percent) than in favor of it (29 percent).

By Chris Cillizza  |  November 24, 2009; 2:53 PM ET
Categories:  Most Important Number
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CT-Sen: Foley reconsiders, weighs gov bid
Next: Turkey Time!

Comments

Josh: "I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States.

==

After everyone who writes politics invoked this moronic and sharply antiquated phrase in response to the attorney firings under Bush the Lesser, don't you think it's time to retire it? It's snarky and sarcastic even given the now-lost secondary definition of "pleasure," and given that loss it doesn't even make any sense.

Let's stop repeating that phrase, find another way to say it, some way that isn't patently insulting.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 29, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

From the "Let Bartlet be Bartlet" West Wing episode:

Leo: "Listen up. Our ground game isn't working; we're gonna put the ball in the air. If we're gonna walk into walls, I want us running into them full-speed."

Josh: "What are you saying?"

Leo: "Well, you can start by telling the Hill the President's named his nominees to the FEC. And we're gonna lose some of these battles. And we might even lose the White House. But we're not going to be threatened by issues: we're going to put 'em front and center. We're gonna raise raise the level of public debate in this country, and let that be our legacy. That sound alright to you Josh?"

Josh: "I serve at the pleasure of the President of the United States.

Leo: "Yeah?"

CJ: "I serve at the pleasure of the President."

Sam: "I serve at the pleasure of President Bartlet."

Leo: "Toby?"

Toby: "I serve at the pleasure of the President."

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 26, 2009 1:16 PM | Report abuse

To be accurate, EJ was anticipating the sure-to-come anti-BHO hate blast. Why bother to wait for it?

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 26, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

The BHO haters decided not to take off Thanksgiving and instead use it to manufacture yet another idiotic, anti-BHO fake controversy. This from E.J. Dionne today:

"Mostly, the message reiterated familiar Obama themes of diversity, community and service. The opening line referred to Thanksgiving as "a harvest celebration between European settlers and indigenous communities," and Obama called attention to "the contributions of Native Americans, who helped the early colonists survive their first harsh winter and continue to strengthen our Nation."

The holiday was also "a time for us to renew our bonds with one another, and we can fulfill that commitment by serving our communities and our Nation throughout the year."

Maybe they'll surprise me, but I'm willing to bet that a right-wing talk jock near you will soon be declaring the "indigenous communities" reference "un-American," and the call to service as yet another shout-out to "socialism." We'll also hear that the document never uses the word "prayer," and that its one nod to God is in a quotation from George Washington (unless you count its mention of "houses of worship," and the "year of Our Lord" in the date)."

_______

...I'm sure they'll give BHO a "bah, humbug" at Xmas too.

This corner of O-Nation, including MoDo and Courtland Milloy, still thinks BHO should finally, at long last, punch back--sort of like Rocky did after Adrienne told him "to win" from her sick bed. We ignore the polls (they seem rigged or based on bogus methodology--calls to 500 land phones in the middle of the workday doesn't tell you much), but if O is losing MoDo, that IS a BIG problem. Let Bartlett be Bartlett...before it's too late.

Wednesday's plea to BHO from MoDo:

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 26, 2009 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Once, HOF troll "37thand O" was blown out of the blogosphere (unfortunately not permanently) by the wit and wisdom of superpatriot poster, "malis." May that happen again. From January 2009, malis's classic post--

"Update: A Study on Motivation and Societal Impact of the Extremist-Obsessive Blog Poster
Subject: “37th” (shortname for subject using approximately 20 different variations of a userID containing the root phrase “37thandO”)

Subject’s postings (through Jan 2, 4:56pET) to the string “Best House Campaigns of 2008” were previously collected and classified in four defined categories. This entry appends subject’s additional posting.

As of Jan 3 10:17aET, 37th owned 14 (+3) of 64 (+6) total entries, raising the subject’s percentage of total postings to this string from 19% to 22%.

Number and percentage of on-topic postings: 0 and 0%

1) Simplistic insult of individuals and groups: 22 (+2)
2) Paranoiac accusations: 6 (+1)
3) Rote repetition of fantasy scenarios 19 (+4)
4) Projection (accusing others of behavior exhibited by the subject) 9 (+2)

Subject has initiated posting to two additional strings. Data currently being collected and analyzed. When sufficient data has been collected results will be posted to those strings.

Posted by: malis | January 3, 2009 2:30 PM"

Happy Thanksgiving, malis...

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 26, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

"No, that's not a dodge, that's just a lie."

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 6:18 PM

Please, pick ONE and stick with it!

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:58 PM | Report abuse

No, Chris, I STILL pray for you, so I can assure you it's been more than just seven words.

==

I don't give a damn if you pray till your knees bleed, it's your time to waste. Telepathic entreaties to an invisible super-sprite would get you locked up for observation with only a few words changed. You can put messages in bottles and toss them in the sea, or write your death-wishes on pieces of paper and burn them, I don't care. I think people who believe in the supernatural belong alongside your pal snowbama.

If you think anyone who reads this blog is dumb enough to believe your dodge then you're projecting again.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

In addition, Gov. Palin announced that she would be donating her portion of book sales at Fort Hood to the victims of the shooting and their families. She "had already agreed to visit the Army base, according to her publicist. She said that after last week’s shooting that left 13 people dead and 30 wounded, an Army official on the base contacted HarperCollins to say that Palin should stick with the planned appearance."

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Fort Hood was selected (and approved by the base) BEFORE the shooting.

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Funny how Palin chose Fort Hood as one of her stops on her book promotion, and of course the teabaggers are eating it up.

Imagine if Obama did the same, how they'd howl.

Palin has no shame,

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

Of course what I wrote is what I meant. But, it's not a "dodge" to point out that I also prayed more than just those seven words for you.

==

No, that's not a dodge, that's just a lie.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

The "bus pictures" were for JRM2 who seemed to be under the impression that there was writing on the bus seeking donations to http:/www.SarahPac.com (to the point he CALLED AND BOTHERED someone at Fort Hood to ask that her bus be covered up). Next question?

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

Why should anyone give a crap about Palin's bus?

For that matter, why should anyone not a teabagger sack give a crap about Palin?

Other than the DNC, that is, for whom she's a godsend.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Pathetic dodge, Jake.

What you wrote is what you meant.

And don't wish your sin against logic on me. I'm an adult, I don't believe in the supernatural.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

BTW: Palin's bus doesn't even have the word "SarahPAC" on it. Nice try though.

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

No, JRM2, Jesus was instructing that it would be better to pluck out your eye / cut off your right hand WITHOUT "anesthesia".

Lurkers (I apologize for the off topic post again):

God obviously answers prayer with "no", and I accept that. But others are trying to infer something different by only talking about one part of my prayer. If you have any questions on that or any of my prior posts, please email me jaked832@gmail.com.

Just keep in mind that if someone prays for A, B, C, D, and E ("if it is God's Will"), it is not accurate to claim that I only prayed for E.

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Is JakeD suggesting that they wrote about "anesthesia" in the Bible, they had anesthesia in biblical times?

Posted by: JRM2 | November 25, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

As I explained, in depth on those threads, those seven words were not the entire "prayer" (nor did it mean you would have to die on the operating table -- the recovery room would have been just fine too -- what you are missing is that, once someone accepts Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, it is better to "not survive the anesthesia" rather than turn back to your wicked ways). More Bible verses, if you really want to disagree with His logic:

"... if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell."

(Matt. 5:29-30).

My "prayer" for you was that you would find everlasting life in Heaven, is that so bad?

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

OK, Sarah can go to fort hood and sell her books, but, if her bus is on base soliciting donations for her PAC then that is a no go.
I spoke with Judd Anstey the public relations manager for the PX at Fort Hood and he said that if enough people create a stir about this she will be asked to cover up the section of the bus asking for donations or be asked to take a taxi.
Here is his info:

Judd Anstey
Public Relations Manager
MK-SCC/PA
214-312-38 61/214-558 -8891 (cell)
aafes.comfes.com

Posted by: JRM2 | November 25, 2009 5:27 PM | Report abuse

GoldandTanzanite: But how do you REALLY feel about Jake, don't hold back.

Posted by: JRM2 | November 25, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I never "prayed" that GoldAndTanzanite would die on the operating table.

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009

==

As always, you're a lying sack of sh*t.

==

I'm praying he doesn't survive the anesthesia.

Posted by JakeD | September 10, 2009

==

I don't pray because I don't believe in sprites or fairies or goblins or gods but if you got bone cancer and died in agony alone and unvisited in the hospital it would go a long way to restoring my belief in the power of justice.

You are garbage.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

well, here's a catalog of Fox 'errors' misleading information and just plain lies:

Posted by: drindl | November 25, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I am a working man raising two girls as a single father. I work two jobs because companies around here hardly ever offer full time employment in order to not pay any benefits. My family has not had health care for years and I have worried abut it for years. Please pass the health care bill with the public option! I want government health care such as medicare or what the military has. Take money out of my check it's ok. I don't want a handout I want a fair option to help us out. I hope it covers dental also. Sign me up!

Posted by: jrhorer8 | November 25, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"one wonders precisely where they think those politicians and pundits get their information"

You mean apart from just making it up, I imagine.

Well here is how it works. You start with a series of politically guided positions. Leftists regard these positions, which are represented as being "conservative", as conforming to one or more of the 3Rs, revisionist, revanchist or reactionary.

Once you are told of your position on a topic, it becomes your own. Then you look for rationalizations, so that you can defend your position from the critical inquiry of self (some peoples' brains have self doubt neurons, others don't) and others. Fortunately, a great deal of the human brain is dedicated to rationalizing perception, so this is never a problem. Once you know what is right and what is wrong, gathering syntonic information is child's play.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 25, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

But waaaaaaaaaitjustagoshdarnminute, shrink2, aren't Fox News and Michael Savage technically part of the media? Apparently, they are not to be trusted either.

If those who tell us the government, the scientific community, the academic community and the media would indeed have us listen only to pundits and politicians favorable to their point of view to get "the truth," one wonders precisely where they think those politicians and pundits get their information.

Posted by: GJonahJameson | November 25, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else.

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I never "prayed" that GoldAndTanzanite would die on the operating table.

Posted by: JakeD | November 25, 2009 11:28 AM | Report abuse

GJJ,

Consume a steady mental diet of Fox News and Michael Savage, you'll get all the answers.

Yesterday evening on The Savage Nation, he was ranting (of course) about Global Warming being nothing other than a revenue center for leftists. You see because they can't compete in the work force they had to figure out how to extract money from people who can without actually doing anything.

Sounds more like investment bankers to me, but aside from that, he espoused the most astonishing theory of the infinitely corrective atmosphere. Proof? It seems that a volcanic event in the distant past where Indonesia is now produced and threw more greenhouse gases into the air than humans have in all of our history.

He said the effect of the catastrophe was so great it, "almost wiped out the human genome." And now look, today the atmosphere is totally recovered. Therefore we don't have to worry, was the supposed conclusion.
You can't argue, you just have to smile.
Happy Thanksgiving.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 25, 2009 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Why, people like Sarah Palin, Jonah, who really know what's going on, you betcha!

and hows this for a little conflict of interest:

"THIS IS CNN?.... Trevor Francis, the communications director at the Republican National Committee, was forced out yesterday. A couple of hours later, the party announced that Alex Castellanos, a notorious Republican media consultant and CNN contributor, will take over as a senior communications adviser to RNC Chairman Michael Steele.

The news prompted Atrios to note, "I'm sure CNN will keep his seat warm." I assumed the same thing, but as it turns out, that won't be necessary -- Castellanos will still be sitting in the same seat.

'Longtime Republican media strategist Alex Castellanos will continue to serve as an on-air personality for CNN despite recently taking on a consulting role for the Republican National Committee, the network confirms.

On Monday, it was reported that Castellanos, who has served as a media consultant for many Republican presidential candidates as well as an advisor for the private health insurance industry, will play an expanded role at the RNC after the committee parted ways with its communications director, Trevor Francis.

Apparently, Castellanos makes enough money doing media work for private health insurance companies and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that he'll be unpaid for his work as the RNC's senior communications adviser. And since Castellanos won't literally be on the Republican National Committee's payroll, CNN is entirely comfortable paying him to offer "political analysis" on the air.

And here I thought the ethical/professional lines had already been blurred too much. Now, CNN -- you know, the network that has positioned itself as above the fray -- will feature regular on-air commentary from the Republican National Committee's new message/strategy guy.'

Posted by: drindl | November 25, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

I try to focus more on Fix post topics than on responses that have little to do with the topic at hand, but I couldn't help commenting on the response explaining that in order to fight the evil liberal conspiracy, we can't trust the government, the scientific community, the media or the academic community.

I'll refrain from making judgments about that particular point of view and instead wonder just who that leaves to trust.

Posted by: GJonahJameson | November 25, 2009 10:34 AM | Report abuse

37th and O and my old Dad. They know that whole climate change thing is LIES. They know it no matter what gets published, advanced agreed on. They know it no matter what is happening around us. Now they have ONE column in the WSJ that backs them up and they are running through the streets shouting about supression.

10 year old emails from one guy at one University. And they don't actually say or imply nearly as much as the WSJ, 37th and O and my old dad think they say. And they think Gore is an alarmist running around with his head cut off.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | November 25, 2009 9:38 AM | Report abuse

"I'd have been better off putting the money in an escrow account."

This is true for most people. How could it not be? If the average person did not pay more in premiums than they get in health care, there would be no profit in the industry.

We bet against our luck when we buy insurance, that we will win by becoming diseased or at least, glad to lose the money because we did not. Don't we bet something so awful will happen that we will benefit? That way, in the end, we will winners because we bought into the insurance pool instead of just saving up enough money for ordinary health care bills. The logic is twisted up with masochism.

The alternative would be socialism, which everyone knows would mean the end of life as we know it. If health care were seen as a right, the industry would be seen as infrastructure, "your tax dollars at work".

People could debate how much to tax themselves and for what communal benefit - the way the debate is going over the new I-5 bridge over the Columbia, 10 lanes, or 12, or 15? Light rail and bike lanes too? Then society would see the benefit of participating in a variety of health promoting compacts so that everyone would save money on the cost of health care...oh forget it. There is no point.

When even Steven Pearlstein wonders why Obama can't extricate his head from between Lloyd Blankfein's buttocks, there is no way this country is going to stop enjoying its pain.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 25, 2009 6:32 AM | Report abuse

I continue to hear polls that say a huge number of Americans are 'satisfied' with their health insurance plans, but I should still like to hear how the questions in these polls were worded. Everyone I know--and because of my work I meet an enormous number of people--are dissatisfied or terrified that they may lose their job or that the health ins. cos. will decline coverage when they need it most--to say nothing of the double-digit year-on-year increase in premiums.

==

When my sister's premiums went up 20% two years in a row she wrote them and noted that had she done the same to her own customers they'd take their business elsewhere, and she informed them she was doing the same.

I lift weights, very heavy weights, I'm right at the limit of connective endurance, and I popped my right distal bicep tendon a few months ago. I had tendon reattachment surgery (this was the one where Jake "prayed" I would die on the operating table), prior to which an MRI was authorized by my insurer. The Explanation of Benefits came in the mail last Tuesday; ten pages of goose eggs. All they paid for was 80% of the surgery, paying less than I have paid them in premiums in only six months.

I'd have been better off putting the money in an escrow account.

Most shockingly, they didn't pay for the MRI .. so what did it mean to "approve" it?!?

By the way, this is BIC, Allstate Workplace Division, not worth a snot as it turns out. You're not In Good Hands anymore.

I'm being nicey nicey and working with my agency over it, and if nothing happens then I turn on the flamethrower of verbiage.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 1:27 AM | Report abuse

This one goes to the Ombudsman/management. Perhaps they need to speak with their legal counsel. Seriously, this kind of filth needs to stop.

==

JakeD never got banned no matter how over the top he went, and zouk / snow is almost this bad in just about every post. You don't get banned from here for being a racist swine, but you do for calling out one. Maybe the Ombudsman would do something but don't forget that as much as our "gracious host" clearly adores Palin he can't find bigotry all that offensive.

Which is disappointing.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

The number of emails in the growing climategate scandal, which has proven beyond a doubt that the data supporting global warming has been fabricated.

==

Is that your standard of evidence? Angry know-nothings writing emails?

That's some amazing grasp of the scientific method there champ.

Why don't you quit the car wash and become a brain surgeon? You're allllll ready.

</sarcasm>

This place needs an entrance exam or something ...

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

How much more offensive does someone have to be before the WaPo does something? I'm just asking. Here this sicko manages to be racist, sexist and homophobic all in one -- the Trifecta!

==

I think it's great .. most of the time they speak in code, in dog-whistle; let the reality of the modern GOP emerge in all its repellent glory and let anyone with a shred of decency be appropriately repelled.

Who knows how many are "lurking" here; perhaps thousands. Maybe a few will read that twisted sick sh*t and it'll be the final straw, and they'll say "that's it for me, I may believe in small government but it being a Republican means being on board with this crap then count me out."

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 25, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Thousands

The science is finally settled.

Posted by: 37thand0street | November 24, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

"So why is anyone still surprised that the ghetto--trash Obama--worshippers like GoldAndTanzanite (only a homosexual milquetoast could possibly think of a handle that silly and effeminate) and broadwayjoe-thrill-running-up-my-leg-when-he/she/it sees Obama,"

Posted by: drindl | November 24, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

"So why is anyone still surprised that the ghetto--trash Obama--worshippers"

I know that certain words are blocked on here, but it's just a lot faster to just type in nigggers.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 24, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Mea culpa, no'me sayin'?

Posted by: drindl | November 24, 2009 10:41 PM | Report abuse

I like your ideas Mark. Like you, I think there are some simple and cost effective steps we could be taking towards universal health care. By trying to appease too many points of view we are ending up with something that will not be universal, will not cut costs as effectively as they could be cut and will take too long to go into effect.

I wish it were a better bill, but I'm still backing it. It would be a better bill if there had been less input from the very crowd that doesn't want it in the first place. I think this was a situation where you had to be "extreme" to get the best.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | November 24, 2009 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Milquetoast?

Effeminate?

Thrill running up leg?

hahahahahahaha

Congratulations, 'pit, you've lost any vestige.

Rasmussen isn't accurate, you just like hearing bad news about Obama and you don't care if it's true or not, an indifference that most of you nitwits share.

hahahahahahaha

Dude I'm a top, nobody would call me effeminate if they saw me. I look like effin' Hercules.

Barn's over there, champ.

hahahahahahhah

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Health Care Reform a Cruel Joke When a...

SECRET MULTI-AGENCY FED PROGRAM TORTURES, IMPAIRS, PERSECUTES THOUSANDS OF U.S. CITIZENS WITH NATIONWIDE SILENT MICROWAVE/LASER 'DIRECTED ENERGY' WEAPONS SYSTEMS, LOCAL VIGILANTISM: VETERAN JOURNALIST

• Did this program target, and help incite, the Ft. Hood shooter?

• Gov't-enabled community "watch" vigilantes have infiltrated the health care system, compromising care of unjustly "targeted" Americans, says journalist-victim.

http://nowpublic.com/world/gestapo-usa-govt-funded-vigilante-network-terrorizes-america OR http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "GESTAPO USA"

***
U.S. CENSORS THE NET AS OBAMA LECTURES CHINA ON NET CENSORSHIP

Posted by: scrivener50 | November 24, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

So why is anyone still surprised that the ghetto--trash Obama--worshippers like GoldAndTanzanite (only a homosexual milquetoast could possibly think of a handle that silly and effeminate) and broadwayjoe-thrill-running-up-my-leg-when-he/she/it sees Obama, pooh-pooh the Rasmussen poll, which has been by far the most accurate of all polls for the last 3 years. Whistling past the graveyard children?

Posted by: armpeg | November 24, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

The health care industry awash in money act could be the way to concentrate the employment effort. As bubbles go,
there are no better ideas.

Posted by: shrink2 | November 24, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

I am going to assume, arguendo, that a bill like the Senate version will pass and be signed. The slow phase-in will postpone the benefits and costs of the bill until 2014. A R controlled Congress would strangle the program and a R sweep of the WH and Congress might repeal it before 2014. A D controlled Congress would have to address the cost issues this "insurance reform" program will leave untouched. In any event, we are at the beginning of a bumpy ride, it seems to me, and the big bucks spent in this debate is a mere prelude.

The good news is that once this bill is behind us we may see a concentrated effort to attack unemployment.
There is more than one way to skin that cat. I favor encouraging/pressing small banks to lend to small businesses again and abandoning efforts to prop up big banks and big businesses. The Admin has made some tentative moves in this direction, to be fair.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | November 24, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Never fear, Phalin's here. Remember she's not retreating, she's reloading.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 24, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

==

And by exactly the same people who scream bloody murder about abortion, claiming, nonsensically, that their real concern is for "the unborn."

Funny how that concern falls away once they're born .. the teabaggers don't want tax money spent on health care (hundreds of children die each year from not getting care in time), or education (don't have to wonder their motivation THERE now do we), or nutrition programs for pregnant women (we're the only industrialized nation that doesn't have one) ... bloody lying hypocrites.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

"the teabaggers need to believe that scientists are at heart as corrupt as they are, willing to sell out all their principles for a buck or for some camera time."

You hit the nail right on the head.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 24, 2009 7:17 PM | Report abuse

Anyone read this column by the winner of the pundit contest? Very good.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 24, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

This is a Washington Post blog and the recent Post poll showed BHO at 56%. That was consistent with Kos's poll results which had him at 55%. No one pays any attention to Raz-messen polls; they exist only to support Faux News/Drudge talking points. I think it's outrageous that so much is being spent to defeat health care reform supported by 77 percent of Americans.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | November 24, 2009 7:01 PM | Report abuse

But what's not weird is how not one of them has spent ten seconds in a scientific setting and yet purports to know how the scientific community operates.

==

And just like ignoramuses who can't do math hate science because scientists use big words an' equations an' stuff, the teabaggers need to believe that scientists are at heart as corrupt as they are, willing to sell out all their principles for a buck or for some camera time.

Simple projection.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Kind of weird how Republicans, the ones who think that wealth accumulation is a positive thing, no matter what the consequences, are so unhappy that Al Gore made a little money from his book.

Posted by: DDAWD | November 24, 2009 6:21 PM | Report abuse

The global warming debate, now climate change, was never about scientific fact

==

Then why are over 99% of climate scientists in agreement on it?

And why is it that those who disagree are almost always in the pay of oil companies or just people screaming for attention?

The essential point of your idiot posts is that you don't like Al Gore.

That's just too bad.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

The global warming debate, now climate change, was never about scientific fact but one of money and politics. Al Gore became a very rich man and the scientists carved out a huge industry for themselves. Finally, throw in the hundred million $ plus environmental lobby and you have the perfect storm. It is money change, not climate change but it sure isn't chump change.

Posted by: leapin | November 24, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Please don't send us Arnold and the rest of the failed liberal land.

==

Don't worry, we'll clean up your messes as always.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 6:07 PM | Report abuse

"When the Midwest becomes the west coast you knucklewalkers will still be denying it."
-------------------------------------------
Please don't send us Arnold and the rest of the failed liberal land.

Posted by: leapin | November 24, 2009 6:05 PM | Report abuse

==

Sea levels rising, glaciers melting, high temperature records being broken, yeah, big conspiracy to hurt capitalism.

Fortunately people like you no longer have much power, and will soon have a lot less.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Not at all surprising that a teabagger like leapin would be against science and education

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

Hundreds

Hundreds of emails that give every appearance of testifying to concerted and coordinated efforts by leading climatologists to fit the data to their conclusions while attempting to silence and discredit their critics. In the department of inconvenient truths, this one surely deserves a closer look by the media, the U.S. Congress and other investigative bodies.

Posted by: leapin | November 24, 2009 5:29 PM | Report abuse

Chris,

As I've said before, sooner or later EVERYONE gets ill. If they're lucky, it is a final, terminal illness at the end of life after a lifetime of good health.

The point is that, despite the commercial bent of this country, health care should NOT be a profit-generating industry, and the fact that it has become one is an OBSCENITY.

This 'reform' of health care, despite the huge turmoil it is creating, is fairly cosmetic at best. It might be the best that can be achieved--IF it can be achieved at all--in this country and in this political climate.

I'd just like once again to remind those out there who want 'the government to keep its hands off my health care' of the following:

How abysmally low the US is ranked in terms of a) life expectancy (I believe it's 34th), b) how pathetically small the amount care vs. the huge cost Americans get in comparison to other industrialised nations.

This is the richest nation on earth. Isn't it a shame that its people are treated thus?

Posted by: sverigegrabb | November 24, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

The Number 4

The 4 corners of neocom statist lies and deception

Government
Science
Media
Academia

Posted by: leapin | November 24, 2009 5:05 PM | Report abuse

It’s taken almost 11 months, but voters now know that propositions 1-5 are now refuted or irrelevant.

==

Not as irrelevant as your drooling posts

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

The Number 5

Millions of independents and swing voters went for Obama for five reasons: (1) they believed the media hype that Bush was the “worst” (fill in the blanks); (2) the sudden financial panic of September 2008 and the anger at Wall Street banditry and bail-outs; (3) Obama’s youth, charm, and oratory; (4) the feel-good novelty of voting in our first African-American president; (5) Obama’s centrist campaign message of paying down debt, working with allies, drilling, being tough against Al Qaeda, and being bipartisan.

Posted by: leapin | November 24, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Rasmussen poll, huh?

What's next? Wall Street Urinal editorial page?

National Enquirer?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | November 24, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

300 million pieces of silver is the most important number to the Harlot of the South.

Posted by: leapin | November 24, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Who cares what Rasmussen polls? It's just another biased polling firm for the repukes to use and it's results are meaningless.

Posted by: jasperanselm | November 24, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

The most important number in politics today.
45% is today's Rasmussen Poll's Presidential approval number for Obama, who started with 70% just 11 months ago.

Posted by: armpeg | November 24, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse