The most important number in politics today

That's the percentage of people who said they have a favorable opinion of former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin in a recent CNN/Opinion Research Corporation poll, the best showing for the 2008 Republican vice presidential nominee since mid-May.

The numbers -- while far from stellar at 46 fav/46 unfav -- suggest something of a Palin bounce triggered by her high-profile tour of the country in support of "Going Rogue", her memoir of her experiences on the campaign trail in 2008.

As recently as mid-October, Palin's favorability ratings stood at 42 percent and her unfavorable rating at 51 percent in CNN/ORC polling, numbers basically unchanged from late July when she was at 39 fav/48 unfav. Back in May, Palin had a 46 percent favorable score and a 43 percent unfavorable rating.

The coverage of Palin's book tour has largely been laudatory -- particularly in the local press -- and has focused primarily on the large, loyal and enthusiastic crowds that she is drawing around the country. (Check out the stories from her appearances in Fairfax County (Va.) and Sioux City, Iowa over the weekend for evidence.)

Palin's public image may also be benefiting from a sense -- particularly among Republicans -- that she is being treated badly by the press. In a recent Washington Post survey of Republicans, nearly nine in ten (87 percent) said that Palin had been treated unfairly by the news media.

Before we get too far ahead of ourselves, it's important to note that the improvement in Palin's numbers has only got her back to even and there remains a considerable block of people who view her in an unfavorable light.

And, Palin's recent misstep -- if that's what it was -- regarding President Barack Obama's birth certificate shows that while her book tour rollout has been quite impressive, she remains an unsteady figure at times in the glare of the national media.

Still, there does appear to be some positive movement in Palin's numbers. As we have said before, however, the only way for her to fundamentally alter her public image -- particularly among independents -- is to avoid catering solely to the base in her public statements and instead roll out a series of policy proposals that might appeal to that critical voting bloc.

By Chris Cillizza  |  December 7, 2009; 12:47 PM ET
Categories:  Most Important Number
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CT-Sen: Liberals attack Lieberman in ads
Next: Barney Frank, Joe Sestak and the Fix endorsement hierarchy

Comments

For anyone else, I also refer to Bill Clinton as "President" (even though he is not currently President) since he earned the title.

Posted by: JakeD | December 8, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

She isn't "Gov." Palin anymore, she quit her job to cash in on her celebrity.

A poll of an unemployed celebrity's "popularity" is not comparable to an elected official's "job approval rating."

I would say you cannot possibly be this dumb but you've shown in thousands of posts that yes, you are.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 8, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Back on topic, Gov, Palin has pulled to ONE POINT (statistically tied) from Obama:

Posted by: JakeD | December 8, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

No, katem1, I do not have trouble reading, do you? As I said, I simply want to see what Dr. Fukino says she saw, then I would be content. What part of that are you having trouble understanding?

Posted by: JakeD | December 8, 2009 11:41 AM | Report abuse

jaked, do you have trouble reading? I didnot say the Republican gov had SEEN the original birth certificate, I said attested to the validity, as in signed off on the report by the investigating doctor, or whoever it was. So you are saying the GOP gov was conned? Would lie for some strange unknown reason? YOU need to see it? Even if you did, you still wouldn't believe it, and that's the thing with this whole birther cr$p. no amount of evidence is going to convince you and other birthers. But just keep thinking that and spewing it, it just reinforces the perception of how outta-touch-with-reality the birthers, tea partiers, and 9/12ers really are.

Posted by: katem1 | December 8, 2009 11:07 AM | Report abuse

==

So repeating a brazen discredited lie is not necessarily a misstep?

If I hadn't already been so desensitized by decades of filthy Republican lies this would make me hurl chunks.

It's disgusting.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 8, 2009 1:20 AM | Report abuse

I have to say, I find her a lot easier to take than Anne Coulter.

==

Coulter is unceasingly nasty and confrontational but I can take her easier than Palin.

Palin insists on taking any chance she can to express her contempt for the natural world. Coulter's political views are no less ugly than Palin's but, you know, I dont' recall reading a word about Coulter coming any closer to welcoming the extinction of world wildlife than her going along with the anti-global-warming crazies.

I wish Coulter would shut the hell up and go away.

What I wish for Palin I don't want to put into print.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

You mean the one she didn't write?, the one that doesn't have a single policy proposal?

==

Thirteen pages referring to existing policies and former proposals.

Four hundred pages whining about people who were mean to her.

And lie after lie after lie.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

But it sure has a lot of general statements all wrapped up nicely in an American flag.

==

The guy here at work who had a full-sized US flag draped outside his cubicle got the push last week, along with a number of PMs. No more lovingly detailed pictures of handguns in the hallways anymore. I can't help but wonder if his ceaselessly confrontational right-wingnuttery had anything to do with it.

I'm still here. I must be of some use.

Bank deposits aren't earning any interest so the time .. has come .. to cash out the Cs of D and change them to more lương. Soon I will have enough to make a blanket.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Todd's AIP card

==

That would be Alaska IndependenCE Party, not the American IndependenT Party that seeks to swell its rolls by leading people to believe that it signifies political independence as opposed to the reality, which is slavish devotion to a lot of discredited right-wing crap.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 8:14 PM | Report abuse

"LOL!!! Did you miss her Oprah interview? You are aware that there are actual WORDS in her bestselling book, right? LOL!!!

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:38 PM"
---

We'll show you Obama's birth certificate if you'll show us Todd's AIP card.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 7, 2009 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Palin's father says she left Hawaii because being around so many Asians made her unconfortable. As someone posted about this in the TNR blog:

"Because the people that would care can't lower their opinions of her any further, and the people who admire her won't care (or likely would sympathize)."

She felt uncomfortable because she was a minority in Hawaii .. now THERE'S leadership material for you ...

Stick a fork in her.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

==

But after the peak of a few weeks ago the audiences are going to start getting smaller and I don't think she's going to handle it like Dick Contino.

On the contrary, she's going to start making increasingly unhinged moves and serial stunts to get back in the press ... leading to something like an offer to saw off a leg on a webcam, or, my guess, a donkey act in Tijuana.

But the end will be the same regardless: a hotel room OD.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:39 PM | Report abuse

"I prefer to think of Alaska as half full, rather than half empty.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:17 PM"
yep, now that she's gone.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 7, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

I'd agree, Jake. If you'll pardon a double entredre, things can go down quickly. I don't think that Palin is going to return to conventiional politics because (a) she's having a blast and (b) she's making a boatload of money. If Newt can influence politics from the outside, why not Sarah? I have to say, I find her a lot easier to take than Anne Coulter.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

And, Palin said, "I thought he was asking a question."

Posted by: leapin | December 7, 2009 5:24 PM |
------------
Well, since she doesn't know who the emperor of China is I'd say she was probably being honest for the first time in her life.

Posted by: JRM2 | December 7, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Are you insinuating that I don't know who my father was?

==

I'm outrightly declaring that your mother didn't either.

Though she held onto the metro driver's cap that he left in her trailer as a souvenir.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Now I remember why FairlingtonBlade AND mark_in-austin both asked me to not engage your childish postings any more.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

I think one of those paths for a Palin victory goes through Moria.

==

Yeah she already tried Caradhras ..

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

Are you insinuating that I don't know who my father was?

==

See if you can figure it out.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

I think one of those paths for a Palin victory goes through Moria. Another through the looking glass.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin will never be president, because she will never get the votes.

She can do a lot of damage, though, and she will, though it'll be the Republican Party that suffers the most for it.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in the Star Chamber of Republican strategizing as they cast about for a way to have her bumped off and blame it on liberals.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:20 PM | Report abuse

Are you insinuating that I don't know who my father was?

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Never say never (in fact, at 7:05 PM YOU stated: "there is way for Palin to ever be president" and I was about to agree with you; too bad you flip-flopped ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

Too bad that your mom AND dad are both dead.

At least I know who my father was, Jake

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Palin is less popular among women than among white males, Jake.

I'll take that invariant repetion as your concesssion, as you've had plenty of chances to answer if you could.

Sarah Palin will never be president, because she will never get the votes.

She may be dictator through insurrection, or headmistress of some seceding JesusLand along the Gulf Coast, but President of the United States? Never.

Mickey Rourke would be great, I'd love to turn on the tube and see Harry Angel / Johnny Favorite talkin' to the people.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

150 "million" females (as I pointed out in my 6:42 PM post).

Too bad that your mom AND dad are both dead.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

For the last time: 59,934,814 Americans ALREADY voted for her as VP -- even assuming only HALF of them vote for her as President, that's 30 million -- there are also 150 females in this country, that's over 50% if you really can't figure out constitencies and percentages ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 7:09 PM | Report abuse

You can shove your lương up your @ss!

==

Such language. Better hope your mom isn't reading your posts or you're going to get your mouth washed out with soap when you go upstairs for dinner.

Still waiting to hear about those constituencies and percentages.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Yes there are many paths to a Palin presidency but I'm asking you about possible ones, not your ridiculous fantasies.

Note I didn't even say "probable," because there are none.

I ask for the last time: what constitencies and what percentages?

I say, given the fact that a solid and substantial majority believes her unqualified for office, and that this sort of judgment very rarely changes, that there is way for Palin to ever be president. Not even if both Obama and Biden are assassinated, as you "pray" every day.

I say Palin would lose to just about any Democrat, or any Republican for that matter, because so very many have decided, based on her own utterances, that she has no business being anywhere near the responsibility.

As for Obama coming from obscurity to the presidency in three years, that has nothing to do with the likelihood of any random person doing to same, rather it reflects Obama's substantial executive talents, discipline, and organization.

NONE of which Palin shares.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

And, everyone else can see that you never answered my question either: "who would have guessed -- three years before Election Day 2008 -- that Barack Obama would win?"

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

You can shove your lương up your @ss!

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:54 PM | Report abuse

GoldAndTanzanite:

It's a more responsive "answer" than anything you ever post here. Do I know the exact vote total of a hypothetical Palin vs. Obama general election? No. Are there multiple paths for a Palin victory? Yes.

As always YMMV.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

That's your answer? A Walter Mitty daydream about the GOP retaking the House next year?

Not even CC believes that! Not going to happen. They may pick up some seats, but take back the House or Senate? Not for generations.

Looks like I get to keep my lương.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:53 PM | Report abuse

The GOP could take back the House of Representatives in 2010, elect her Speaker, and both Obama / Biden resign or otherwise be unable to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the Office of President of the United States. There are countless scenarios whereby Sarah Palin gets elected too (I mean, who would have guessed -- three years before Election Day 2008 -- that Barack Obama would win?).

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Or, run against a President Biden . . .

==

Dodge. At least you left out your desire to see Obama assassinated this time.

Palin would lose to Mickey Rourke, much less Joe Biden.

Where does she get 65 million votes when fewer than 40 million even regard her as qualified?

What constituencies? What percentages?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

NOT an answer, Jake.

(1) Those people were voting for McCain and voted in spite of Palin, not because of her

(2) that ticket lost

(3) that was prior to her daffy resignation, prior to her unsupportive familiarity

I'm talking about an election in 2012, not in 2008, which is what you are talking about.

What constituencies? What percentages?

Waving hands at McCain voters doesn't count. Polls much more recent that November of 2008 show 70% of voters don't believe she is qualified. The only votes she gets from them are people who forget their spectacles and vote for her by mistake.

Where among the mere 30% who think she's qualified is she going to get to 65 millions?

What constituencies? What percentages?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

Or, run against a President Biden . . .

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Jake, did you see my question to you at 6:32?

Let me repeat it for you:

Where is [Sarah Palin] going to get the 65 million votes she would need instead of the 25 million she would actually get.

What constituencies? What percentages?

I await your detailed response.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I already answered that (if anyone else wants to pick up from this point): 59,934,814 Americans ALREADY voted for her as VP, knowing full well that McCain could have died the day that he was inaugurated -- there are also 150 million females in this country yearning for a major party to nominate a woman for President -- by my calculations, she only needs to find five million disgruntled Obama / Independent / other voters (or get 10 million Obama voters to stay home this time around ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Worth reading the transcript.

==

Bill O'Reilly: Let me be very bold and fresh again, do you believe that you are smart enough, incisive enough, intellectual enough to handle the most powerful job in the world?

Sarah Palin: I believe that I am because I have common sense and I have I believe the values that I think are reflective of so many other American values, and I believe that what Americans are seeking is not the elitism, the uhm, the ah, a kind of spineless, spinelessness that perhaps is made up for that with some kind of elite, Ivy league education and, and a fat resume that is based on anything but hard work and private sector, free enterprise principles. Americans are could be seeking something like that in positive change in their leadership, I'm not saying that that has to be me.

==

This is not the work of some meanies trying to make Palin "look bad," she certainly needs no help with that ...

See for yourself.

You can even follow her lips in motion if you think this is a troll.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:40 PM | Report abuse

It's OK to admit you're stumped, Jake.

While you're waiting for someone unfamiliar enough with your lying to wish to engage with you, perhaps you could spend a few minutes to outline Palin's path to the presidency, where she is going to get the 65 million votes she would need instead of the 25 million she would actually get.

What constituencies? What percentages?

I got a little stack of gold lương says you can't answer.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Anyone else?

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Palin's "46%" figure is a measure of her personal popularity and isn't comparable to Obama's job approval rating, which is in the mid-50s, if for no other reason that Palin doesn't even have a job.

She's running around the country trying to get people to pay money for "her" book, since everyone except JakeD understands that she has abandoned her political career to make a quick buck.

The "most important number in politics today" would be the jobs report that just came out .. from six-digit job losses running from last October through the middle of this year, to unmistakable indications of recovery that spell nothing at all good for Republicans.

The "most important number" having anything to do with Sarah Palin would be the 70% who believe she is unfit to be president.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:22 PM | Report abuse

Except for that post you just missed about "let EVERY heart prepare Him room" : )

For the record (although I've stated this several times before), I do not "hate" Barack Obama. Neither do I hate people who speak Spanish, gays, liberals, or anyone on the planet who isn't a stinking small-town bigot.

Does anyone ELSE though want to discuss whether Sarah Palin's 46% favorable opinion rating is THE most important number in politics today?

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

You hate Obama because he has dark skin, you hate people who speak Spanish, you hate gays, you hate liberals, you hate just about everyone on the planet who isn't a stinking small-town bigot and you have tens of thousands of posts here expressing these assorted hates and nothing whatever else.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Joy to the world, the Lord is come! Let earth receive her King; Let every heart prepare Him room, And Heaven and nature sing . . .

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

I don't hate any person on earth, gay, faceless and/or unknown.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:06 PM | Report abuse

No Jake the "scum of the earth" is anyone with so little regard for his country and his world that he would try to exact revenge on the faceless and unknown hordes whom he hates by deliberately sabotaging his nation in voting for an unsteady and unready attention-hoor like Sarah Palin.

Now that's what I call "scum."

And no, I honestly don't care a fig what some immature lying loser in San Diego cares about me being gay.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Go ahead, simonsays1, the scum of the earth "dares" you ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Wasn't talking to you Jake we all know already that you're a dope

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Sarah Palin has what it takes to win national election to our highest office.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:54 PM | Report abuse

I can hear Obama during the next presidential campaign.

==

You can hear Palin right now.

Here' give'r a listen.

Now come back and say "yes she has what it takes to win national election to our highest office."

I dare you.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I can hear Obama during the next presidential campaign.

"I was against the Afghan Surge"

"I knew this was a less then perfect
Healthcare Reform Bill"

" I knew we were just throwing money
around, and not helping the people
or creating jobs "

Posted by: simonsays1 | December 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

No doubt that "common sense" conservatism goes right over the heads of the scum of the earth.

==

"Common sense" is a phrase whose only purpose is to salve the insecurity of uneducated and unintelligent people by allowing them to believe that the vast corpus of what they can't understand is actually inessential.

It's the huge edifice of knowledge known as "science" and "civics" and "hard stuff" that people like "common sense conservatives" are unable to understand, so they think they don't need to.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Keep your eyes on those polls Chris;
I think we are all going to be
very very surprised...
I believe the leading economic
indicators nag, like this nagging
unemployment. If it nags for another
year. Good Bye Democratic House.

That will make the white house,
a 'anyone' but our beloved
George W. Bush II (obama)

Posted by: simonsays1 | December 7, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Obama peaked too early and now he is tanking. Thanks to everyone that helped him peak. Some times too much eagerness backfire ( actually, always) .

Palin... the longer it takes for her to get over 50% positive in polls the better it is. If she becomes a sole choice too early , too easy, bad for her.

I would suggest for her take another break after Book tour publicity stint, at least for 3 months so people once again get interested in her. Or do something that eliminates a bit of the tailwind she has got.

Posted by: Ivfab | December 7, 2009 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Of course, no one with half a brain could post such a moving "Reflection on Pearl Harbor" today, and tribute to our "Greatest Generation", as Gov. Palin did on her Facebook page.

==

The fact that you *actually believe* Palin writes her own "articles" is yet another reason nobody takes you seriously.

You're as ditzy as she is. At least you have the excuse of being a third her age.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:39 PM | Report abuse

==

Uhh, that would be generous.

Did you hear that answer to O'Reilly? This was a friendly interviewer gently tossing the softest questions and she STILL gave an idiotic rambling answer.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Careful, leapin, or they will use that joke to claim that her brain is half-empty. Luckily for us, other "half-empty brains" like Ronald Reagan and GWB still got elected President (twice ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Jake D - Speaking of laughs...

"On President Barack Obama, Palin joked that she was looking at a magazine cover of Obama and Chinese President Hu Jinato during an airplane flight. A nearby passenger stated, "Hu's the Communist," she related.

And, Palin said, "I thought he was asking a question."

Posted by: leapin | December 7, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to think of Alaska as half full, rather than half empty.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Like Sarah Palin's head.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

kogejoe:

I just got off a telephone poll (called my cell phone in fact) on the Middle East and Obamacare, if that makes you happy.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

mot unintentionally hilarious post today:

"Survey tomorrow on the new yacht. I hope it is not too cold.
...
but you must know ridiculing me for your own inadequecies only makes you look more petty and trite than the remaining posters here already view you.
...
your idiocy has long passed tedious and boring.

don't bother confronting me. I am done replying to your childish flaming taunts. find your attention back at the playground. Bring a shiny new penny. Looks as if fewer and fewer adults will have anything to do with your antics."

This guy is quite an amazing head case, I have to say. I have never seen such a lack of self-awareness coupled with this high degree of projection.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 5:21 PM | Report abuse

It's worth noting also that Gridiron Club Dinners in the past have always been off-the-record. Yet another sexist, double-standard re: Gov. Palin.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to think of Alaska as half full, rather than half empty.

==

Nobody here cares what you claim to think, what with so many of your opinions clearly garbage.

Silly turn of phrase noted. By your alleged reasoning the Mayor of Seattle is more qualified to be president than Palin, which of course he is, but then so is pretty much anyone in the US who has held any actual responsibility (and not ditched it at the first resistance or conflict).

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Why is there a poll on someone who's not even a politician? Who are they really trying to kid here? Poll Christopher Hitchens. You'll find he has a popularity too.

Hey did you hear Tiger Woods got busted cheating on his wife?

Posted by: kogejoe | December 7, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Listening to her on Rush Limbaugh as I write, she is digging out of the box her detractors would like to bury her in for once and all and needs to keep on it: Get off their message and onto her own."

==

Admitting you listen to Rush Limbaugh? You must be a glutton for ridicule.

What message does Palin have? "Drill baby drill?"

Seems to me that her only claim to fame anymore is that people is bein' meanies to her.

Yeah that'll carry her to the White House.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I prefer to think of Alaska as half full, rather than half empty.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Alaska -- Palin's homestate -- separated from the contiguous United States by Canada, is the largest U.S. State at 365 million acres (150 million hectares). Hawaii -- Obama's alleged homestate -- occupying an archipelago in the central Pacific, southwest of North America, has just over 4 million acres (1.6 million hectares).

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

==

It's also the EMPTIEST state in case you are details-challenged.

Are you aware that a nickel is worth less than a dime, despite being substantially larger?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:15 PM | Report abuse

PatrickNYC1:

So, you think that ALL former Governors, or just Palin, should be legally precluded from talking about how difficult it was to run their State (Alaska is in fact the LARGEST State, in case you are geographically challenged)?!

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Chris you also failed to mention her slip at the Gridiron Dinner this weekend, when she seemed to forget she was not campaigning in 2008. She mentioned the 'difficulty of running a large state'. The one she quit earlier this year.

==

Yeah, a "large state" with fewer citizens than an average US city.

The number of people who accept her reasons for quitting isn't enough to elect a Congressman in a modest-sized district, much less a president, nationally.

And if her resignation wasn't bad enough, there is her attacks on the Republicans managing the McCain campaign who concluded she's a ditz .. alienating that group was a very un-smart move they're not about to "put behind them," especially since every time she opens her mouth she just adds more fuel to that "unready and unsuitable" fire.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

Posted by: PatrickNYC1 | December 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

-----------------

Posted by: PatrickNYC1 | December 7, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

How many screen names is Ace McNumbnuts allowed to use on here?

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | December 7, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

"Still complaining about that, DDAWD? As you are well aware, my comment had nothing to do with Zouk (or ZOUK or snowbama or whatever).

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade"

Just ribbing you with a smile and intentionally taking what you said out of context.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 7, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 4:30 PM | Report abuse

"Have you heard that James Carville may end up working on Palin's campaign?"

No, he will be in jail for emitting CO2.

Posted by: leapin | December 7, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, beeker25 for the link. Have you heard that James Carville may end up working on Palin's campaign?

Mary Matalin notes that she has "been and will continue to be an advocate of Sarah Palin and her principles" but correctly observes that the media coverage is currently (unfairly?) titled toward furthering the GOP divide:

"Though there is much, much more in Palin's book that fleshes out her inner core, her grounding in faith and family, as well as her policy achievements and forward-thinking philosophical framework of common sense conservatism, so far the coverage of it has constrained her in a defensive backward-focused box, re-litigating the darkest days of the campaign and reliving difficult family moments.

Though all the breathless chatter about 2012 is premature, the way Palin lays out her world view throughout the book and especially in the eloquent closing pages is sure to attract conservatives yearning for an unapologetic articulation of first principles. But because of the inordinate mainstream media focus on the political insiders' tiff, the Political Palin is getting sucked down and mucked up by the Published Palin.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

For Palin to have any chance, things would have to be so bad that she would look "attractive" when compared to the alternative of 4 more years of President Obama.

Most non social conservatives I know are in this camp. If Palin is on the ticket and things are going "Ok", they will eat dirt and vote for Obama.

Frankly, I do not discount her nor do I write her off. My wish is that she stays a political force in the vein of Beck. That way she is a gift that keeps on giving. Going quietly into the night would be bad for Dems.

On a personal note, I hope she makes a ton of money and disappears.

Posted by: ModerateVoter | December 7, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

JakeD
It would not shock me because in many words I am a pro in seeing all the facet of campaigning and it's not pretty (you should read Mary Matalin's opinion about Palin's book and about elections
http://www.cnn.com/2009/OPINION/11/18/matalin.palin.book/index.html ..
You have every right to vote for her because in this country you are entitled to your choice of candidates. Remember this one: in primaries there are going to be several people running against her (if she chose to do so) and they will literally go after her in order to make themselves stand out.

Posted by: beeker25 | December 7, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Obama makes Palin look good.

The Independent Party is apparently seeking it's candidates to forward, with the intents of the framers on their resume.

Get off the 2 party swing tied to loansharking banks.

Posted by: dottydo | December 7, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Obama makes Palin look good.

The Independent Party is apparently seeking it's candidates to forward with the intents of the framers on their resume.

Posted by: dottydo | December 7, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Would it SHOCK you to know that I would vote for Palin as President and voted for the African American last time around?

==

Nobody cares enough about you to be SHOCKed, or offended by your ridiculous birther claims, or anything else.

Nobody here cares if you live or die .. why is it so hard for you to understand that?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

==

I don't even have to post to get constant attention from you.

Matter of fact what started as a vaporous response to your nasty trolling has now taken on full solidity and has definable features .. by your own outrageous claims you've managed to so substantiate the mental hospital belief about you that few here now doubt it.

You might have chosen a more believable livelihood for yourself ... game-theoretic political analysis from a guy who doesn't even understand high school chemistry?

Bzzzt.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Survey tomorrow on the new yacht. I hope it is not too cold.

the model building is going nicely thank you. I just got back from another conference in Orlando. I imagine your employer doesn't let you out of the cube, since you seem to be so unproductive there anyway. how many red colons did you convert to green today old timer?

I am concentrating on the game theoretic aspects of political strategy currently. It can get quite complex very quickly. but certainly not as difficult as surfing over to Kos and cutting or searching the entire file for the red text. now that is a career for your level of master intelligence.

Imagine, someone on the internet having a wife, and children even. Impossible.

your idiocy has long passed tedious and boring.

Posted by: ZOUK | December 7, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

beeker25:

katem1:

Have the Republican Governor of Hawaii and all of his staff SEEN the original birth certificate? No. The only one to say that she has was Dr. Fukino. I simply want to see what she saw, then I would be content.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

i meant how stupid CC thinks they are

Posted by: katem1 | December 7, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone really be biased enough to think that was a smart answer? The great irony is that he asked her if she's smart enough to be president and she gave what might be her dumbest answer yet. That answer was so bad it almost made George W. Bush look smart. Can anyone in good conscience defend that answer and say with a straight face that she should be this country's leader?

==

Everyone who thinks anything other than "brainless idiot" really needs to watch that video.

What babble! Elitism, spinelessness, hard work, free enterprise ... my cockatoos make more sense than that.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Another story about Palin .... good god. She continues to be uninformed on just about anything because she does not want to do her homework like many pundits suggested she do because it is too much work.
The fan base she has consist of mostly white people. As proof of this, there was an article written on CNN by a black guy who has dredlock and tried to line up to meet her in person. The response he got a classic "what the heck he's doing here" look from those in line. In short, he never got to meet her. If you noticed that many of her tour stops follows in mostly rural/small cities in the same area that she went to as VP candidate.

Posted by: beeker25 | December 7, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Chris, the fact that you questioned whether Palin's Birther statement was politically solid just goes to show how ignorant and stupid ALL voters' are. Moderates, minorities, even disillusioned dems(although I call them impatient)ARE not going to vote for her nationally. And you try your credibility as a journalist by attaching any credence to her "Birther" claim. And JakeD, the Republican governor of Hawaii and staff have all attested to the validity of the Prez's birth certificate. These ridiculous attempts to de-legitimize the Prez, the tea partys, the 9/12 rallies, the Hitler/ Halocaust images, they'll rally the base alright, the left base and the center. How pathetic that these disgruntled, whiny people can't
accept their election loss, and are lathered up into this cultish mentality (how else to describe pastors praying for the death of a duly elected President?)
Go right ahead GOP, keep on insulting the intelligence of non-Republican voting citizens by dismissing their '08 vote.

Posted by: katem1 | December 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:
You "claim" to be a Korean War combat veteran -- and since that war ended in 1953, you'd have to be close to 75 today to have served in it...I've read your posts Jake D and you react and respond like a child, so, rather than call you a LIAR, I'm thinking you're just 'not truthful.'
But, since there ARE really dumb old guys out there, why 'doncha' take a little breakie, change those wet nappies and maybe slurp down a Gerber or two?

Posted by: bgreen2224 | December 7, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

More reasonably, can the random idiocy ever find a sensible statement by chance?

==

So why are you here instead of sailing around in your "new yacht" with your "wife and kids?"

If you find us so offensive why do you put so very many hours into posting here day in and day out?

Don't you have some über-complex mathematical modeling to do?

(*chuckle*)

Now go look at at the parking lot, your fellow mumblers who were able to spend the weekend with their (actually existing) families while you were stuck Inside all alone.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

perhaps a Mitt Romney or Charlie Crist.

Posted by: jamesmcall
------------

Hahahahaha, you got to be kidding me about Charlie Crist.... That guy is a typical politician who would fly around the state collecting political IOUs along the way so he can get elected which resulted in being governor. For the FL Senate race, unfortunately he and Rubio are having problem cementing their conservative credentials because both have been caught in several "talking out of two sides of their mouth" as reported by PolitFact.com and other publications in regard to taxes, and budget issues.
Mitt Romney is very much like Charlie Crist, a glib politician who like to dazzle people what they want to hear not the reality.

Posted by: beeker25 | December 7, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

"Now, there are a million examples of this, but I thought I'd go with three knockout punches here. In the first video, we have the classic Bush Doctrine answer, where she does not know the basic foreign policy of the Republican president at the time. How could she possibly be running for vice president and not know this? The only thing more unconscionable is the sad excuses her supporters make for this terribly botched answer.

In the second video, we have a largely overlooked example of her pathetic lack of foreign policy knowledge. She has no idea what Hamas is or what they have to do with the Gaza Strip. If you're next door neighbor or plumber doesn't know this, that's fine, but they weren't running for Vice President of the United States. This should be game set and match for anyone, especially self-respecting conservatives, thinking of supporting her. This is when you have to walk away embarrassed.

But remarkably, they didn't slink away embarrassed after this answer, so we have the latest example of her buffoonery. In this interview with Bill O'Reilly, he asks her if she is smart enough to be president. Her answer has to be seen to be believed. Don't get me wrong, just because you see it won't mean you'll understand it. So, I put a transcript of her answer below so that you can try to decipher it in your spare time.

If you say yes, then there is no sense in talking to one another anymore because we are not operating in the same reality, or planet. We'll never be able to agree on anything if we can't agree that was just about as incomprehensible and stupid an answer as you can possibly come up with. And that settles the debate, because you either live in the reality based world and realize she is obviously not qualified, or in the immortal words of Stephen Colbert you believe that "reality has a well-known liberal bias" and she would make a great president.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

memo to Jesus Napoleon:

Chris Cillizza doesn't care what you think.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

drivl posts on this thread : 11
chriss*xc*x posts on this thread: 19

==

Show your tally sheet to one of the nurses and maybe you'll get an extra cookie at snack time.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:35 PM | Report abuse

wow, all three stooges and the wanna be lined up in order at 3:21.

Impressive orgnization for a bunch of brainless misfits.

you may notice, that no intelligent contribution has registered from their quarters yet. If four stooges type all day, can they really write all the combined works of shakespeare eventually?

Posted by: ZOUK | December 7, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

"From time to time, I'll get into a debate with a right-wingerabout whether Sarah Palin is actually stupid or if liberals are just hopelessly biased against her. They claim this bias comes from the fact that liberals are scared of her electability, her charm, her looks, her femininity, her Christianity, her ability connect to the common man and her overall wonderfulness. So, the theory is that we have all collectively decided that she is the best Republican candidate in some secret liberal meeting and are conspiring against her because we are afraid of how brilliant and electable she really is.

Now, there are a couple of problems with this theory. There are no opinion leaders on the left with Rush Limbaugh-like authority who can command all other progressives to think the same thing and use the same arguments against one person. In other words, we all think she is stupid because she is in fact stupid, not because some liberal cabal told us to think that.
How come we don't call Newt Gingrich stupid? Or Dick Cheney or Elizabeth Dole or Dennis Hastert? And the list goes on and on of heinous and deplorable right-wingers who are not stupid. We don't make those charges against those people, because as much as we might not agree with them or like them, we know that they are not dullards. They're all clever in their own way. Mitt Romney is greasy, Michael Steele is a clown and Tom DeLay is dirty, but we don't go after their mental acuity like we do with Sarah Palin because they're not as dumb as her (not even Steele).

So, finally we get to the evidence. I thought I'd just do it here and be done with it. Then I can just point people to this post from now on and end this senseless argument.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Like I said, simonsays1, good luck with this bunch.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

I couldn't care less what you think.

==

That's fine, because as you know, nobody here cares about what you write, and not a one of the readers here believe that the verb "think" has anything to do with you at all.

Go ahead and post that Obama isn't a citizen and that Palin has a shot at the presidency, if it makes you feel like a grownup or something. Everyone knows you're just trying to inspire outraged responses, poor lost little fellow.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 3:31 PM | Report abuse

drivl posts on this thread : 11
chriss*xc*x posts on this thread: 19
total posts: 78

almost half of the blog clooged up with moonbat and flamer garbage. how long can a product like this last without rotting?

cilizza, your blog stinks because of these two.

Now the third stooge, Loud and dumb arrives with his simpleton one liners. As if this thread could fall any lower into utter looniness.

Posted by: ZOUK | December 7, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

GoldAndTanzanite:

I couldn't care less what you think.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

==

both of them managed to get through their terms as governor. Palin quit halfway though.

Next you'll be seeing electability indications in the number of letters in her name or something.

There are good solid reasons why nobody here takes you seriously.

Even better reasons for Palin.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I was going to make a zook thesaurus joke, but I don't want BB to yell at me again.

"Cognitive dissonance" I'm impressed, dude!

Posted by: DDAWD | December 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"She is going to bring out the Republican base and moderates and give them plenty of red meat!!"

Duhhhh, moderates don't want red meat. Red meat is for loser extremists like you.

Palin will bring out the moderates, all right -- to vote against whoever she supports.

Remember NY-23! Sanity 1, Palin/Green Teeth 0.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | December 7, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

"The Live Feed's James Hibberd notes that Monday's "Oprah" drew an 8.7 household rating and 13 share, the highest since Oprah hosted the Osmonds in 2007."

And she is nearly as qualified to be president as they are.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

ZOUK:

LOL!!!

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:19 PM | Report abuse

And of course, the stupider the person, the more likely they are to like Palin.

==

Case in point, the post right after yours. They don't come much stupider than the birther freaks

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

bgreen2224:

I didn't PAY for the honor of reading "Living History" ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I have noticed that whenever the average intelligence level of this blog,mostly due to the moonbat drivl cutting and pasting from even stupider websites, starts to creep up past idiot towards moron, Cilizza posts some bit about Palin to drive the pavlovian stooges wild with envy and spite. they sit in their little cubicles imagining themselves as some sort of third world avenger, blogging for the unspoken masses. In their mountain of detritus, we see the cognitive dissonance of the left. all insult and pre-K motivation and analysis.

Pitiful really.

Cilizza gets his hits to stay in business, yet anyone with a brain runs for the exits. the loons make up for the total lack of inteligence with sheer volume of sludge.

Posted by: ZOUK | December 7, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

That's right, ian807, only stupid people voted for Ronald Reagan and GWB (twice). Be afraid, be very afraid ...

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Some people say Sarah Palin's best chance at becoming President disappeared when she and John McCain failed to get elected, and her ascension to the Presidential throne could have taken place if McCain had died in office.
Still, it's good to see the RepubliKKKan/KKKonservative energy being used to support her and I sincerely hope her book is a bestseller, that many people who don't like Sarah Palin get copies in addition to those who think she's just wonderful.
OK, Santa, NOW will you bring me my presents?
Geez, will we never tire of elevating idiots?

Posted by: bgreen2224 | December 7, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Aprogressiveindependent:

That 53% of voters elected Obama (despite him not being a natural-born citizen and therefore not CONSTITUTIONALLY qualified for the Office) is a sadder reflection.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

All this proves is that memory is short and people are stupid.

And of course, the stupider the person, the more likely they are to like Palin.

Nothing new here folks. Move along... move along.

Posted by: ian807 | December 7, 2009 3:13 PM | Report abuse

FairlingtonBlade:

Like I said, if you don't think that it's the most important # in politics today, no need to comment. I look forward to seeing you and GoldAndTanzanite discussing Vietnamese food late into the night on some other thread then.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Let's see, we have BIG BIRD, MICKEY MOUSE, ODUMBO and little scary Sara Palin. With huge deficits, transparency,no jobs or jobs going overseas with global warming and no lobbyist allowed in the white house, gee I guess I'll take PALIN.

Posted by: farmsnorton | December 7, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Only people who are qualified should be president or vice-president. George W Bush was clearly not qualified and the result was a disaster for this country. He will be considered one of the three or four worst presidents ever.

Palin is much less qualified than Bush II to be president or vice-president. That 46% of people in a poll have a favorable opinion of her is a sad reflection upon the fact many people in this country have lower standards in evaluating presidential candidates than the the lowest standards in the worst public schools in this county.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | December 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

It's not the topic, rather the notion that it's the most important # in politics today. At least Drudge hasn't linked to it. We're still cleaning up around here after the herd rumbled through.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

(pause)

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Oprah's much-anticipated interview of Sarah Palin brought her the biggest "Oprah" ratings in two years.

And, I don't know if that included viewers like me using this new-fangled contraption called TiVo ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

how interesting is your life when your challenging assignment is to attack Palin every day on the same lefty blog with the same tired old slurs?

==

The question you should be asking is why after all that exposure has Palin failed to provide anything to counter these "tired old slurs?"

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

the twin blog flamers drivl and CF8 are dementedly at it again.

the funniest part is how the two dumbest, most unsuccesful idiots call others stupid failures.

Posted by: ZOUK | December 7, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

JohnDinHouston:

I didn't know how forgiving she was, even to her enemies (saying she would give Steve Schmidt a "Peace Lilly" if she saw him again). There's lots that I learned from the book, and I would think that I already knew quite a lot.

P.S. "LOL" -- Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 2:28 PM

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 3:05 PM | Report abuse

'LOL!!! " is this person 12 -- or 90?

==

Under 20 for certain. "LOL" is teener instant-message-speak for "laughing out loud," and hardly anyone out of his teens writes like that.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:04 PM | Report abuse

==

She's going to "bring out" a few dozen million aging rednecks and nobody else.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

"Did you miss her Oprah interview?'

A great many of us have better things to do than watch daytime TV.

==

Yeah, like having jobs, reading books, and being alive

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

A lot of Americans connect to Palin's message; she gives voice to the feelings of many hard working, tax paying, country lovin' folks that cannot be found anywhere by politicians of both parties. Just wait until the 2010 elections. She is going to bring out the Republican base and moderates and give them plenty of red meat!! Before then, the media and liberals will try to stop her, but that act backfired. Palin will rip the Dems a new one in 2010. After that, who knows.

Posted by: saelij | December 7, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

FairlingtonBlade:

I read "Living History" for all the juicy details (if you don't care for the thread topic, don't post ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

E-Gore wusses out of Copenhagen.

I guess that's what free lunchers like you call 'leadership.'

Posted by: leapin | December 7, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

'LOL!!! " is this person 12 -- or 90?

"Did you miss her Oprah interview?'

A great many of us have better things to do than watch daytime TV.

" You are aware that there are actual WORDS in her bestselling book, right? LOL!!!

Yes, and someone else wrote them. Maybe you should replace your keyboard. Your exclamation point seems to be sticking.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

We'll see. Sen. McCain made the point on MTP yesterday that they can't "attack her and attack her and attack her" yet claim at the same time that she's irrelevant.

==

Nobody is saying she's irrelevant so you're once again doing battle with a straw man.

She's relevant, all right .. just not electable.

She's relevant and important because she has an ability to draw crowds and rally a shrinking (and increasingly insignificant) demographic by appealing to the ugliest human emotions: fear, bigotry, hate, resentment.

There is no electoral calculus that makes her a threat to the Democrats, though, quite the contrary. By keeping the red-faced bigots of her base aroused she all but guarantees many GOP electoral missteps to come.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Her book remained #1 on the NYT Bestseller list for TWO WEEKS in a row -- you don't get there by appealing to "only" 18% of voters -- always keep in mind, however, that you are dealing with scum of the earth like "GoldAndTanzanite" who criticized Gov. Palin for NOT aborting Trig ; )

Actually, yeah you do. Doesen't ANYONE know that conservative organizations and book clubs buy thousands of books by Coulter, Savage, and now Palin, and sell them at bargain basement prices or give them away? This is how they make the best seller list. I'm sure that liberal publications are purchased and distributed in the same manner, just haven't ever heard of the specifics.

Think about it - what would Sarah Palin say in a book that you:
1. Didn't already know after last summer, at least as to her personal life?
2. That would really be something not tied very closely to the last decades conservative talking points?

What has been brought up that was addressed in her book where anyone said, "boy howdy, I didn't know that about Sarah Palin"?

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 7, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Given the number of sales required to land on the best seller list, appealing to 18% of voters is plenty to hit #1. Does anyone seriously think Glenn Beck could win elective office? Yet, he's sitting at #2 on the best seller list.

I expect many of these sales are to make a statement--as is the case with most political memoirs. Living History sold about 600k out of the gates and set a record for nonfiction. I doubt THAT many people wanted to read the juicy details.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

stooge central again.

Posted by: ZOUK | December 7, 2009 2:55 PM | Report abuse

"Governor Palin's job is to be ready when and if the American people call for new leadership."

First of all, champ, she's not a governor. She QUIT.

I guess that's what teabaggers like you call 'leadership.'

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

I stopped there.

Palin is smart enough to put on makeup and to swing her right leg in alternation with the left when she walks.

And that's about it.

As someone wrote here a few weeks ago, to like Palin means that someone is lacking in intelligence or in integrity.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Public Policy 101:
1. If unemployment was 5% - The Recession started months before Obama took office.
2. if the budget deficit was not going crazy - If you don't know the increased deficit is mostly the result of Iraq war spending, and the Bush administrations stubborn refusal to raise tax revenue after 9/11, then you're not paying attention.
3. If the President was capable of giving a sppech that inspires the military he commands to victory - Oh please, this isn't halftime of a football game.
4. If the Senate was debating permanent fixes for social security and medicare - President Bush tried the social security change, most were against this.
5. instead of adding a new entitlement - So, you don't think everyone in the country should have medical insurance?
6. And if new tax proposals were not being made every week. Really - indeed, where?

let's say - if the United States public paid closer attention to the facts of running our country, rather than electing a president based on a cult of personality - maybe than, Sarah Palin would be overlooked. But everyone who thinks Ms. Palin is just like their outspoken sister-in-law because she "tells it like it is", ignores the fact that she has no desire to run for president on a platform of ideas and more of a desire to substitute emotion for planning.

Posted by: JohnDinHouston | December 7, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Unfortunately, for the republicans, their base want Palin as the candidate and probably won't accept anyone else. If Palin is the republican nominee--good for the dems. If she isn't and starts a third party run--good for the dems. If ANY republican starts a third party run--good for the dems. Just about any way you slice it--win-win for the democrats.

Posted by: blarsen1 | December 7, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Jake D., is that a gun in your pocket, or are you hot for Sarah Palin?

Posted by: sasquatchbigfoot | December 7, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

jfv123:

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:48 PM | Report abuse

It's really simple: President Obama is the only person who can create President Palin.

If unemployment was 5%, if the budget deficit was not going crazy, if the President was capable of giving a sppech that inspires the military he commands to victory, if the Senate was debating permanent fixes for social security and medicare, instead of adding a new entitlement, and if new tax proposals were not being made every week, no one would be talking about President Palin.

I say this in due deference to Governor Palin, but the only thing President Obama has to fear are President Obama's policies.

Second term elections are always about the incumbent, not the challenger.

Governor Palin's job is to be ready when and if the American people call for new leadership. She is smart enough to know that and is preparing the ground for battle like any good general would. She is under no time pressure to make her move now. Like the hunter she is, she knows the value of patience.

Posted by: jfv123 | December 7, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

John1263:

"When she speaks it is liek [SIC] a train wreck."

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

If Dan Brown ran for President, he would get a lot of votes too.

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Her poll numbers go up when she speaks and wears less. Her current bump is because he showed off her legs, and al the coverage is about her book tour, not about her WORDS. When she speaks it is liek a train wreck. Compelling to watch but uncomfortable and not something you want to experience yourself.

Posted by: John1263 | December 7, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Her poll numbers go up when she speaks and wears less.

Posted by: John1263 | December 7, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

By that "reasoning" Dan Brown has a great shot at being our next president.

JK Rowling is out though 'cause she's not an American citizen.

Same old Jake.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Since when does a simply pop. pole of a former VP runner become news. How are folks coping with joblessness, health insurance, home loss, asthma, credit card debt and most importanly the lack of trust in most politicans...and now the declining newspapers industry.

Posted by: crrobin | December 7, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Would LOVE for the goops to be dumb enough to nominate her for anything. She could not even govern the 47th to the bottom smallest state when there was an actual budget to be considered. She would not get elected to dog catcher in Wasilla now that people know who she really is. Sure - she is a nice looking middle aged lady who wrote a popular work of fiction. But her in power? Did a shiver just go down your spine?

Posted by: John1263 | December 7, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

simonsays1:

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Trying to ignore her or dismissing her as a bimbo just plays into her, "why does everyone hate little ol' me?" routine, only strengthens the resolve of her followers, and may be gaining her some sympathy from the previously disinterested.

==

Americans don't vote for people they feel sorry for.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:29 PM | Report abuse

"Clearly, many here continue to attack her because they know she could get more than that many votes as President ; )"

LOL -- the Joke is here. Wonder why sarah's dad would say a thing like this:

'In the New Yorker, Sam Tanenhaus has a new review of the book “Sarah from Alaska,” written by two reporters who covered Palin during the 2008 campaign, in which he flags a passage about how Asian-Americans reportedly made Palin uncomfortable while she was in college:

Palin, though notoriously ill-travelled outside the United States, did journey far to the first of the four colleges she attended, in Hawaii. She and a friend who went with her lasted only one semester. “Hawaii was a little too perfect,” Palin writes. “Perpetual sunshine isn’t necessarily conducive to serious academics for eighteen-year-old Alaska girls.”

Perhaps not. But Palin’s father, Chuck Heath, gave a different account to Conroy and Walshe. According to him, the presence of so many Asians and Pacific Islanders made her uncomfortable: “They were a minority type thing and it wasn’t glamorous, so she came home.” In any case, Palin reports that she much preferred her last stop, the University of Idaho, “because it was much like Alaska yet still ‘Outside.’”

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Keep in mind that 59,934,814 Americans ALREADY voted for her as VP.

(1) they were voting for McCain, and voting in spite of Palin more than for her

(2) that ticket lost

(3) that election was before her resignation

The more people have gotten to know Palin, the less they think of her. With a solid 70% (!!) of the opinion that she is unqualitified to be president, a majority disapproving of her (30% of them "strongly"), she hasn't a chance of seeing half those votes in another election.

Dream on.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:28 PM | Report abuse

G&T, I'm no fan of Sarah Palin.

But, like it or not, as long as she is popular with a significant fraction of the Republican base she will be a player in the game.

Part of her problem last year was that the McCain campaign tried to control her message and she couldn't stick with their script convincingly. Now, however, her message is her own and she will be consistent within her own unique concept of reality. She's free to cultivate the 18% of the population that plays a significant role in Republican primaries. As long as they follow her, even if she's not electable, she can still influence the environment.

Humans are arguably smarter than rattlesnakes, but a rattler can still hurt you, and even kill you, if you underestimate the danger. I'd rather be wrong about her being dangerous than the other way around.

Posted by: Gallenod | December 7, 2009 2:26 PM | Report abuse

simonsays1:

Good points. Keep in mind that 59,934,814 Americans ALREADY voted for her as VP. Clearly, many here continue to attack her because they know she could get more than that many votes as President ; )

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

==

There is no "issue" and never has been, it's just more red-faced paranoid fury from the fever swamps.

Palin will say anything to get attention, and after the rush of it from the simultaneous book release and Oprah interview she seems to have dropped off the radar. There just isn't enough there to sustain her any longer.

Not that she won't try.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

sorry simon, different polls say different things. that you sat it does not make it true either.

Dailykos details the new Beltway Narrative the MSM is trying to construct:

"Politico reporter Daniel Libit sends me this query:

Working on a story with another reporter about the increasing similarity between Barack Obama’s policies and Hillary Clinton’s primary platform and whether Democrats might have viewed the primary differently if they knew then what they know now. Would love to get your thoughts on the state of buyer’s remorse. Might you be able to send me something before day’s out?'

My response:

My god, what a stupid premise.

Of course Obama and Clinton had similar platforms. They're both mainstream Democrats! But for a publication addicted to Drudge headlines, what could be better than a screaming headline proclaiming that Democrats had "buyer's remorse", even if that sentiment was wholly manufactured by Politico reporters?"

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

and yet,
she still walks among us.

==

Britney Spears and Jennifer Aniston still get ink too.

They're not going to get elected to public office either.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

I don't believe that Gov. Palin's recent comments regarding Obama's original birth certificate was a "misstep" either -- it was actually a very cunning way to keep the issue alive -- it also brings out the loons on the left howling about Trig's birth certificate:

Posted by: JakeD | December 7, 2009 2:19 PM | Report abuse

According to a CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national survey released Friday, 48 percent of Americans approve of the job Obama's doing as president, with 50 percent disapproving. The 48 percent approval is a 7 point drop in approval from last month.

==

Are you trying to compare Palin's personal popularity to Obama's job approval rating?

Or are you just trying to change the subject?

You can count me among those disapproving of Obama's performance in office, and I donated over $2K to his campaign .. but I wouldn't vote for a Republican under any circumstance or for any reason, much less for a dangerously irrational fundamenalist like Palin.

If by some freakish fluke she were able to get the nomination despite having made so many enemies in the GOP, she'd get at most 30 million votes, almost all of them in the rural south.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

you call 1,000 random citizens,
you plug in the questions,
send the answers to david axelrod.com,
and
a democratic republic is created.

can we do away with that silly
voting thing, yet?

This woman is a story,
because the media and
the dem's and the forces
that be, invested massive
amounts of time and energy
to destroy her.
and yet,
she still walks among us.

Posted by: simonsays1 | December 7, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Chris has learned the Froomkin Doctrine all too well.

Isn't it time we retired "The most important number in politics today"?

It's become a joke.

Posted by: Bondosan | December 7, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

if you say it enough,
it does not make it true,
Joseph drindle....

Posted by: simonsays1 | December 7, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

"Regardless of anyone's opinions about her intelligence, performance last year, and personal abilities, Palin was cunning enough to triangulate her way to the governship of Alaska."

As did george bush with texas. no, I don't underestimate her or overestimate the intelligence attention span of many US voters. but we saw what bush did to the country, and she is more of the same only worse. So why the pollitical punditry is so anxious to shove her down our throats, I'm not sure.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

"Do not assume Sarah Palin will always be the novice babe in the woods she was on the national stage last year. She is showing signs of having learned something from the experience and becoming more politically adept."

Palin's major weakness is that she is perceived as a lightweight on dealing with actual issues. I don't see any evidence that she has improved in this aspect. She has always been able to rile up crowds and always been good at talking down to her base and has always been good at spouting Republican white paper. That was never an issue. It's just that no one trusts her to actually govern. Even her attempts to reach a more high-brow audience through op-eds are just childish and conducting public debates through facebook also doesn't help her image among the people she really needs to improve her image with.

Her best road to winning is to really get her base excited and peel off enough independents to 51% her way to victory. But with that base shrinking, it will be tougher than ever.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 7, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Palin claims that she delivered substantive policy ideas in the Couric interview but the meany editors left them on the cutting room floor.

Sounds like CC buys it. I certainly don't.

And I don't think a fifteen minute anapestic chant of "drill baby drill" would have made for good TV anyway.

Face reality, CC, painful though it may be .. she's exactly what she appears to be. Vain, nasty, insecure, and stupid as they come.

If being unable to answer softball questions hadn't finished her off, if her resignation hadn't done so, her attacks on the Republicans whose support she would need to win a nomination certainly did.

Unless you think she can run and win as some third party, a piece of wishful thinking that belongs down near Jake's level.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Palin? [Eyes roll]

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | December 7, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Hope springs eternal.

I think we'll see a dog reading at an adult level before we'll see anything like a policy statement from Palin, much less a politically reasonable or feasible one.

Where the hell do you get this idea that she has unplumbed depths, Chris? A canary makes more sense than her and a wolverine has a better personality. What is it has you so ga-ga, her looks?!?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Like that coinage, margaret.

Delaware:

"The new survey of Delaware by Public Policy Polling (D) finds the Democrats favored to pick up the state's open House seat, with former Lt. Gov. John Carney leading the Republicans candidates by wide margins.

Carney, who narrowly lost the 2008 Democratic primary for governor, leads former state Sen. Charlie Copeland by 44%-32%. Carney also leads businessman Fred Cullis by 47%-24%.

The seat has opened up due to incumbent Republican Mike Castle opting to run for Senate in 2010, seeking Vice President Joe Biden's former Senate seat. "

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 1:55 PM | Report abuse

How is the *personal popularity* of a creepy fundamentalist liar decisively finished in politics in any way important at all, much less the "most important number of the day?"

Having trouble partitioning the personal from the professional, CC?

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

==

Yeah and if her progress continues at this rate, by the time she's walking with a cane she may be able to articulate a coherent sentence, as long as it refers only to the concrete.

The arc of her trajetory is not upward.

Posted by: GoldAndTanzanite | December 7, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

If she sticks with what seems to be her current game plan she won't articulate any detailed policy position until at least after the 2010 mid-terms. Instead, she will become a political reality show constestant and work on improving her general popularity while taking the public pulse on what gets people agitated about the status quo.

If her general personal popularity is near or above 50% in 2011, she'll likely run for president. If not, she'll try to leverage what support she does have to play kingmaker withing the Republican party and collect the subsequent rewards. In the meantime she'll collect book royalties and speaking fees.

It would not be wise to underestimate her. Forty-six percent is, if I remember correctly, three percent more of the electorate than voted for Bill Clinton when he won the 1992 presidential election.

Posted by: Gallenod | December 7, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

GO SARAH. u have the whiners wetting their drawers

Posted by: pofinpa | December 7, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Like that coinage, margaret.

something you likely won't read here:

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

The Booboisie can always be counted on.
And Sarah counts on them.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | December 7, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

"A CNN/Opinion Research Corporation national survey released Sunday morning indicates 64 percent of Americans agree with the president, with one in three saying the country's safety and security is not at stake in Afghanistan. According to the poll, 63 percent of people questioned also agree with Obama that the U.S. action in Afghanistan is morally justified."

Or this, mteng -- but it wouldn't support The Beltway Narrative -- that support for Obama is slipping. Or that support for Republicans is rising. Neither of which is true.

May be guaranteed hits for awhile, bsimon, but Drudge doesn't appear to link anymore --and the palin draw seems to be diminishing. There just isn't enough to her to continue to be interested after awhile... jokes wear out when they get too familiar.

Except for Spicy Pony Head.

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

"But no. We get [guaranteed hits] instead."

Posted by: bsimon1 | December 7, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

I'm shocked, shocked to find another post about Palin from Palin-phile Cillizza.

Sigh. So many other interesting numbers.

From the WaPo front page:
200 ($B smaller bailout loss)
16,000 (first wave of Af-war surge)

From Rasmussen:
23 (% support for TEA party in a three way race with D and R)
55 (% favorable for The Boss)

From PPP:
25 or 12 (Carney's lead over Cullis or Copeland for DE-AL)

But no. We get Palin instead.

Posted by: mnteng | December 7, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

"Before we get too far ahead of ourselves..."

Too late.

Posted by: bsimon1 | December 7, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

What CC didn't report on the Gridiron:

"It's good to be here though, really, in front of this audience of leading journalists and intellectuals... or as I like to call it, a death panel," she said.

On her failed candidacy, she imagined what could have been: "If the election had turned out differently, I could be the one overseeing the signing of bailout checks, and Vice President Biden could be on the road selling his book, 'Going Rogaine.'"

Palin routinely bashes what she calls the "lamestream media" for their coverage of her.

To finish the dinner, the Gridiron Singers shared their version of the Twelve Days of Christmas, which began, "On the first day of Christmas, Rush Limbaugh gave to me: A Marxist in a dead tree," and ended, "On the twelfth day of Christmas, Rush Limbaugh gave to me: twelve flaming liberals, hunted down in the wild and field dressed, medium well-done, seared on the fatty edges --"

At which point Palin chimed in, ""Right next to the mashed potatoes."

Still think she believes anything she says?

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 1:09 PM | Report abuse

A figure as demagougic as Palin will never move past the 50% mark. Many moderate Republicans will not support her for the same reason many Democrats did not support Hillary: Her polarizing character makes a lot of people nervous how the other side will respond. More likely, a more moderate Republican will come to the fore, perhaps a Mitt Romney or Charlie Crist.

Posted by: jamesmcall | December 7, 2009 1:08 PM | Report abuse

"As we have said before, however, the only way for her to fundamentally alter her public image -- particularly among independents -- is to avoid catering solely to the base in her public statements and instead roll out a series of policy proposals that might appeal to that critical voting bloc."

You, like many other pundits, seem to think that she is CAPABLE of this. If she was, don't you think she might have already done so?

Posted by: drindl | December 7, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse