Huckabee Makes a Whoopsie

Former Gov. Mike Huckabee (R-Ark.) has drawn praise for his showings in the first two debates, but he just made a blunder in his first answer.

Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee at Tuesday night's GOP debate in New Hampshire. (AP)

He said it was former President Ronald Reagan's birthday today. It is in fact the anniversary of the day he died. Reagan was born Feb. 6, 1911.

Post Story, Ronald Reagan Dies (June 6, 2004)

By Chris Cillizza  |  June 5, 2007; 7:20 PM ET
Categories:  Republican Party
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Iraq Kicks It Off
Next: Rudy Attacks the Democrats (Again)

Comments

We the people need a change in this country, a new plan and fresh legs. I am a registered democrat that finds himself voting across the isle and leaning the the right. There are only two candidates in the race as far as I'm concerned Fred Thompson and Barack Obama although miles apart are the only two real considerates. I like Mike Huckabee however his money is an issue that is not in the reality of national politics. I do not like Fred's history of buying whoops I mean lobbying this leads to Q's of could he be bought on particular issues$ I do not like Barack's liberal views on abortion and stem cell research. Wanted perfect candidate for United States President...

Posted by: Brian J. Conroy Boise, ID | June 20, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

(sorry for the multiple posts, didn't seem to be working)

Posted by: elisabeth | June 6, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Barack Obama has had his share of slips but I don't see people jumping his case for it. Who cares? If this is the worst thing you have against the guy then I say we should automatically make him president, because that is about the most harmless thing your going to see in this election.

Posted by: elisabeth | June 6, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: elisabeth | June 6, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2007 1:39 PM | Report abuse

haha, all these folks still wanna take up for him, after he stuck his size 12 shoes in his mouth. yes that is a rather mundane detail in the grand scheme of things. getting mixed up a date is not that big of a deal, unless of course you are addressing the american people on somethng important. oh wait, this was important right? a national debate, haha. poor huckabee....proves he is a liar just like the rest of the bush supporters. if he can't get something that small right, how in the hell is gonna command an army?

Posted by: kane tuckett | June 6, 2007 4:22 AM | Report abuse

Huckabee is my canidate. That one slip hurts a little bit but has anyone listened to the Clown trio of Mccain, romney and Rudy? Mike Huckabee deserves the republican nomination and should be given more consideration.

Posted by: Kyle | June 6, 2007 12:40 AM | Report abuse

If only the people would discern the truth that Huckabee is one of the best candidates. He is not "annointed" by the media, but just listen to the man.

Posted by: Bill | June 5, 2007 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I can't help but to wonder what all these non evolution Reagan lovers would think of Nancy's astrology. Isn't that considered blasphemous?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 7:54 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Huckabee one of the "I don't believe in evolution" hand-raisers?

Posted by: alexandria | June 5, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

"[Huckabee] said it was former President Ronald Reagan's birthday today. It is in fact the day he died. ... Post Story, Ronald Reagan Dies (June 6, 2006)"

Wrong... The Post story came out when Reagan died, on June 6, 2004.

Way to needle Huckabee on the details, guys.

Posted by: Jeff | June 5, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee was speaking a Republican truth... Reagan came back to life the same day he died, as Ronnie is the Republican messiah.

Posted by: ErrinF | June 5, 2007 7:36 PM | Report abuse

They love to blow smoke. The right loves to propogate with little or no regard for the facts

Posted by: rufus1133 | June 5, 2007 7:33 PM | Report abuse

Eh big deal. Republicans are big on Reagan anyway, right?

Posted by: Anonymous | June 5, 2007 7:32 PM | Report abuse

A guy that never had a chance to win just blew it. Big whoop.
Thank God they pay Chris to do this, otherwise I would fear for his mental state.

Posted by: ErrinF | June 5, 2007 7:27 PM | Report abuse