About Chris Cillizza  |  On Twitter: The Fix and The Hyper Fix  |  On Facebook  |  On YouTube  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed

Congressional Countdown: Va. Senate a Potential Pickup for Dems

Congressional Countdown

A Key Race Scorecard -- Nov. 1, 2006

House (35 contested races)

Leans GOP
Toss-Up
Leans Dem

Senate (9 contested races)

Leans GOP
Toss-Up
Leans Dem

» Full Analysis

When strategists for the two political parties began handicapping the battle for the Senate earlier this year, nobody put Virginia on the charts of likely switchers. Republican Sen. George Allen was looking at the reelection contest as a tune-up for a likely 2008 presidential campaign.

Democrats were looking elsewhere to find the six seats they needed to take control.

A series of missteps that began with Allen's now-famous "macaca" comment and that include question about of his Jewish ancestry and attitudes about race turned the state into a battleground. But as little as 10 days ago, some Republicans were beginning to believe Allen had regained his footing and was beginning to move into a clear lead.

Now, with six days left until Election Day, Virginia has again moved decisively onto the list of potential takeovers for the Democrats, appearing at least as ripe for the picking as Missouri and perhaps slightly more so than Tennessee.

Read the full analysis...

By washingtonpost.com Editors  |  November 1, 2006; 10:53 AM ET
Categories:  House , Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Importance of Being Endorsed
Next: Texas: Dems Try to Split GOP Vote in Race for DeLay's Seat

Comments

Let me clear up any confusion and misinformation about Senator George Allen. My name is Anne Waddell, formerly Anne Allen (former wife of George Allen).
I released the following statement to the AP news recently, but only bits and pieces of it were used. Here is my entire statement :

Allen's First Wife Would Vote for...ALLEN!!!
Filed under: Commentary, News, Virginia -- Ward at 3:27 pm on Friday, November 3, 2006
Does this sound like a woman that was abused?

Statement of Anne Waddell

ARLINGTON, VA - Anne Waddell, Senator George Allen's ex-wife, released the following statement today:

"I am thoroughly disgusted by the baseless allegations and insinuations that have obviously been orchestrated by George's opponent for the Senate.

"It is not a secret that George and I were once married and divorced over 22 years ago. Because a divorce is a very personal matter, we decided to keep the records sealed, and I believe and insist that this is proper.

"However, George's opponent is trying to make something more of this matter. And I will not stand for it. George was, and is, a wonderful person and to try to make him into something else is deceitful, wrong, and will surely backfire against Mr. Webb and his allies. These types of last minute, desperate attacks are why so many Americans are disgusted with politics. It is a baseless, cheap shot.

"Let me make it perfectly clear. If I were still a resident of Virginia, I would proudly cast my vote for George Allen.

"I admire him as a person and as a dedicated public servant. Unlike some others in Washington, he is a man of integrity and character who has always been a loyal friend and hard-working elected official.

"I agree with George on so many issues and appreciate the humor and personal charisma with which he approaches adversity.

"George Allen is an outstanding United States Senator. I am proud to call him my friend and I urge Virginians to return him to Washington where he can continue to work for them."

Posted by: Anne Waddell | November 3, 2006 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I echo Millette's comments. This is a blog, not a periodical like Atlantic Monthly. As much as the information is good, I dont have the time to read but the smallest bits and pieces. Summarize and link to the longer version works for me.

Posted by: Stick A Fork In it | November 2, 2006 2:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey Che, just to let you know, I stopped reading your posts weeks ago despite the info they provide and I suspect many others have too. They are simply too long. Links and excerpts work wonders.

Posted by: Rob Millette | November 2, 2006 12:56 AM | Report abuse

IMO, if Kerry comment were to affect any race, it would be in Va Beach where Thelma Drake the GOP is on the ropes. I am also concerned if it will have an affect on Webb's campaign. If it has an effect, I suspect it wont be Webb as much as it may help Drake. Beyond that, I dont think it will change voters who have made their choice. For the undecided in places like Va Beach, it could give a few voters reason to pause. Just an opinion.

Posted by: Stick A Fork In IT. | November 1, 2006 11:46 PM | Report abuse

As Keith Olbermann said, Kerry called Bush and his cronies stupid, and they're too stupid to realize his remark was targeted at them; not the troops. I'm glad Kerry has fought back with fire; if he'd done that 2 years ago he'd be president now.

Posted by: Sandwich Repairman | November 1, 2006 7:19 PM | Report abuse

KOZ -- when you post things like your 4:15 comments, I enjoy reading what you have to say. I don't want to slash government to the same extent that you do, but it's possible to have a constructive discussion regarding what government should AND shouldn't be doing if first accept the rather obvious proposition that choices DO have to be made. Want tax cuts? Fine, but you're required to cut programs that pay for them. Want more spending? Fine, but explain to the american people why they should be willing to pay more taxes.

That kind of a debate ought to be happening in this country. Voters SHOULD be given a choice between parties that are willing to level with them. Instead? The modern big-government GOP slashes taxes AND increases spending. If the GOP is the business-savvy party, can you please explain to me how that particular combination makes any sense? I know the dot-com businesses didn't have to take care of their balance sheets in the 90's to "succeed," but I don't think structural deficit spending is a good governing strategy...

Posted by: Colin | November 1, 2006 5:57 PM | Report abuse

No, no, Zouk, that just won't do. Sorry it took so long to get back, though, I was out burning effigies, betcha can't guess who?

Let's see, my evidence doesn't work for you? My, what a surprise. I'm picking over data for effect? Ha! That's a laugh, I don't need to "pick over", I just reach into the general grab bag of GOP disaster's and out something comes! Too easy. And then the best you have is...

The Dem's like this,
The Dem's like that,
Everyone knows the Dem's think this way,
And The Dem's think that way,
I'm not a Dem and neither are you.

Shame. Have you no pride of discourse? It's funny how, when you state something, it's a fact known to all the world, but when others state something, it's banal opinion warped by propaganda. Libertarian indeed. I suspect you actually don't know what you are. Just mad at the world I guess. No, you're not hiding from any "R" issues (hmmm, didn't know issues were R or D, just thought they were issues) but, as usual, your efforts amount to tossing grenades just to see what effect you'll get. Not to clear the barb wire. Too bad, I expected more from you, there was so much potential.

Posted by: BlueDog | November 1, 2006 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Most Americans do not really trust or rely on the government for things other than safety/security (read police, fire, defense), public education, and foreign relations. Add social security to this list for anyone over 50.

Neither party has a solution. But when one party becomes so entrenched that it believes its incompetence can not be challenged, they should be shown the door. That's what's happening this fall.

I don't count on democrats to be any miracle cure, but the time it takes them to acclamate themselves is time on our side.

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 4:31 PM | Report abuse

I am not a Republican although recently I have voted for them. I voted Libertarian for a long time but left them after 9/11 because I no longer think isolationism is effective.
I do support the Rs as far as reducing taxes, privatizing SS, cutting down on Medicare somehow.
I do not go along with many social and moral impulses they tend to offer.

Many of the faults you find are a result of comprimises with Leftys and the goal of getting elected in a moderate environment. Take NCLB, for example. this is not a conservative program, it attempts to fix a problem by standardizing testing. It was a compromise. I would have eliminated the DofEd. I prefer parents to supervise their kids education. but Bush promised this as a way to eliminate it from the Dems portfolio - and to his credit, he followed through.
I wouldn't have supported his Medicare increase but the voters clearly wanted this.
I am proud that Bush was the first politician to advocate changing SS. too bad he didn't really have a plan and that the cowardly Rs left him out to dry. but the voters don't seem interested.

It would seem that the voters (not the pols) think that you can get something for nothing as they have an unlimited desire for more stuff, but very little patience for paying for it. My solution is to strangle the banker at the front. Once the money is gone, the evaluation of options can begin. It is very hard to cut government programs. Very little of this has ever been done. the only way is to make across the board cuts and force the difficult decisions. But this is unpopular and the press twists it and the pols don't get reelected. so now what?

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 4:15 PM | Report abuse

KOX-

Net is, all of these posts represent simple opinions, and possible votes. On that fact alone, we'll have to agree. Further, I agree that we agree on points, and disagree on others.

We'll see Tuesday the result of what the majority says, regardless of what lead them to that conclusion.

My opinions may, or may not be in the majority. The result of my opinions, my votes in the coming election, will be.

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 4:04 PM | Report abuse

By the way the dismantling of Medicare and corporate giveaways happening over here is shameful. I'm disgusted with the companies writing the laws, the Congress bullying it through, and then jumping ship to work for said company and collect that extra salary....SHAMEFUL!!

Posted by: mrmedicare | November 1, 2006 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Seriously Zouk; you're extremely shrill but you never say anything. It's not inherently bad to be republican or anything, but how can you defend the turn that the GOP has taken over the past 10 years? Where is the true conservative movement? Explain the economy, nanny-state definitions sought by social conservatives (shiavo), disorganization of the military and intelligence, lack of border security (homeland security, ICE) and "activist" judges. Please elaborate on your stances so I can understand your viewpoint.

Posted by: mrmedicare | November 1, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

DCA - all those "shoulds" are subject to interpretation. they represent your opinion only. It is actually up to the voters and hence, their representatives to decide just how much debt foreign entities should own, where the line on taxes should be drawn, what incentives to outsource should be. these decisions have been negotiated agonizingly over the years and not only is it not clear that your choices are better, it is not clear that you have majority support for them.

If you believe you have some sort of special knowledge about these subjects, (which you seem to have), I suggest you lobby the appropriate power and advance your cause.

I may agree with you on certain things and disagree on others but it really doesn't matter what we two individuals think, it matters what we can convince others to think. you have not presented convincing evidence to support your views and it would be very difficult to do so in this format. Call a lobbyist, they are very good at this kind of thing. Start a collection to pay for it.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 3:36 PM | Report abuse

BlueDog, it is not the same to dig around and find a single instance of carefully sifted data to support your claim. this is why political debate never makes any advances, you simply refuse to acknowledge your positions. I am amused that the lines of "evidence" you provide mix proposals, budgets, small programs intermittently - a clear indication the data has been picked over for effect. you fail to mention that the R congress under Clinton trimmed every one of his budgets and that he was the beneficiary of a huge productivity gain through no fault of his own.

but in general, the facts are:
1. social security is a venue that supports giant government intervention in a private decision, Dems like it that way.
2. Medicare - Dems like it to be bigger.
3. Military - Dems try to cut it every chance they get. look at the votes, not the rhetoric
4. Taxes - everyone knows Dems will raise them
5. Schools - Dems think that failing schools just need more of your money - even though 40 years of more money hasn't fixed it.
6. Environment - Dems think it is OK to bring the economy to a halt to benefit the enviro movement. Rs consider cost and benefit.

I could go on and you may pick and pry until you find a single example of something contrary to this but in reality this is a fair representation of D vs R POV. you can deny it or you can defend it, I guess it depends on whether you want to pretend you are something you are not. I am not hiding from any R issues.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The answer is not for the government to fix them, but for it not to break them as it has.

Government should not advocate expatriation of jobs with tax incentives for outsourcing, with the result of lowering median wage. Tax incentives are intended to stimulate job growth and capital investment, not to create shareholder value.

Government should not to spend beyond its means resulting in a foreign entities being able to buy a stake in it, diminishing our ability to deal with them. Pure entitlement programs should be cut, as should excessive waste (which has grown exponentially in the past six years).

Government should not subsidize corporate profit at the expense of its citizens, as it has done with Medicare and the pharmaceuticals industry. Terms of drug purchase should be negotiated to reduce cost.

Tax cuts (if there should be any in this deficit environment) should be more balanced (and that is from one in the brackets that do benefit).

Government should be competent. I saw 1st had how FEMA payments were handled and distributed in LA and TX last fall. It was shameful, wasteful, and neglegtful.

I've never voted Dem across the board in my life. In fact, I've never voted Dem in more than half the votes I've cast.

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I presume your solution is to have the government intervene and fix the economy, fix unpaid medical bills and fix the national borrowing? how will you pay the medical bills without borrowing more. Raise taxes? then the economy gets worse. you see my friend, there is no easy solution and meddling on the part of government results in more difficulty introduced.

but in typical Dem style you have listed a bunch of gripes, offered no solution and implied that some smart federal government guys could easily fix this if elected by you.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 3:02 PM | Report abuse

As Chris C. says, "Let's parse the polls!" or in this case, KOZ
"Dems are weak on defense" Really? Hmmm...., let's check the votes
Bush and GOP Congress cut 1.5 billion from military housing.
Bush and GOP Congress underfunded veteran health care by 2 billion
Bush and GOP Congress proposed cuts and higher enrollment fees that would end health care for 173,000 veterans.
Bush and GOP Congress budget cuts forced over 200,000 veterans to wait 6 months for medical care.
Bush and GOP Congress opposed plan to give health care access to national guard and reserves.
Bush and GOP Congress 2004 budget plan cut 172 million from education for military personals children.
Bush and GOP Congress child tax credit does not cover taxpaying families making between 10,500 to 26,625 dollars, so many military families are left out on the child tax credit...along with many others.

Oh, and check out http://iava.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2023&Itemid=210 to see how the GOP did NOT support our troops.

"have bad ideas about economics" Oh, and Clinton didn't preside over the longest peacetime economic boom in American history, balance the budget, and leave office with a SURPLUS. I know, I know, you'll claim that's a lie foisted on us by Dem hacks, but I've done enough research for you, go check it yourself.

"they prefer big government" And the GOP led Congress AND Executive branch are smaller now? NOT! Bush has presided over the largest growth of Government employees (not even counting the troops) and Congress and increased spending more than any other administration since Reagan, oh, the previous biggest spender whose records Bush broke!

"having decisions made by the nanny state" Yeah, we already put a lid on that one. Cheney et al never make any decisions for us, or at least not in public (Energy Policy Meetings Behind White House Closed Doors?).

Please, can't you do any better than this?

Posted by: BlueDog | November 1, 2006 2:59 PM | Report abuse

KOZ-

OK, lets debate those issues, 1st the economy. As a retail banking executive I can tell you the "average" economic gains do not benefit the "average" citizen (if there ever was one).

1. The mortgage foreclosure rate is now nearing a 30 year high, NOT due to unconventional loans, but due to a median income that is falling.
2. Consumer credit has fallen to it's lowest rate in over 10 years. We see it in our branches with customers trying to open checking accounts. The number 1 (by far) reason is adverse action from health care providers (namely- consumers being collected upon for medical bills).
3. In our Treasury markets, the vast national debt has resulted in the largest (in history) percentage of US Bond issues being sold to foreign entities (namely China).

so.....
the "average" gains in the economy are a ruse-
in terms of security, we're being sold out, literally.

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ney is not on the ballot, neither is Bush or Kerry. Let the jury system run its course. In the meantime, let's talk about defending the country, boosting the economy, fixing schools, social security, medicare, etc.

but considering your views, I amn not surprised you don't want anyone to hear your opinion on these matters. Best to just stick with the mudslinging.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

KOZ-

Then you must not be familiar with the Tom Noe coin scandal going on here, nor the involvement of most of the Taft administration.

How quickly you dismiss Ney, and the fact that his criminal activity will cost Republicans OH-18 (with the VOTERS).

The juries will decide, as will the voters, overwhelmingly, and rightfully so. At least 4 of 6 statewide state government seats will go to Democrats for the 1st time in 16 years, as will the Senate seat. At least half of the currently held republican US house seats will switch hands.

Many of the votes will be decided by families and friends of small town Ohioans in Lima Company, killed after being back-door drafted into Iraq. We've seen enough.

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I don't have any special knowledge about any alleged criminlaity- do you. I usually rely upon juries for that. I have noticed that Rs have removed all the "criminals" while Dems promote them and retain them. that seems to be the important distinction. I don't advance that either party "should" win. I think the issues should be revealed and the local voters "should" decide.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 2:28 PM | Report abuse

The question is in response to your position of Republican Uber Alles. So would you contend thenm that the Democrats here should win in light of Republican criminality?

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 2:25 PM | Report abuse

afam212

Webb did not resign over the flagging of oil tankers. He resigned over Carlucci's decision to decommission some ships. He was quite vocal about his opposition to this move. He termed it a retreat from the 600 ship Navy goal established at the beginning of the Reagan administration. I was a naval officer at the time.

KOZ - neither side is making an issue of Webb's resignation - that is why it is not news.

Posted by: JimD in FL | November 1, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

"Vote fixing only works to a limited extent, and really only when an election is close."

So very true...

So what does that say about the myth constantly perpetuated on wing-nut radio, that we are a 50-50 divided nation?

I have never believed it, and I think it represents the MSM's obvious complicity in the whole electoral subterfuge.

A 50-50 nation mythology is just one more important part of that Big Lie (us vs. them) that keeps us all at each other's throats.

It takes at least a 60-40 ratio to beat potential voter fraud, especailly when they are this desperate. Then, when the top numbers get reversed by diebolders, it is so obvious, it can not be ignored.

And along the same lines, all these pundits relying on any poll that matches thier personal politics only exacerbates the problem.

Posted by: JEP | November 1, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

I don't defend corruption. Is there some underlying question or is this a grant's tomb thing? how do you defend corruption in LA?

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 2:21 PM | Report abuse

KOZ-

Asked you a pointed question earlier, any response?

How do you defend the corruption of the Republicans in Ohio?

Posted by: DCA2CMH | November 1, 2006 2:19 PM | Report abuse

So it seems the Webb resignation story would be interesting and subject to different points of view. But not interesting enough for the readers of the WaPo. After all, that are all going to vote for Webb. no info is needed.

how about it Chris?? Ten days of macacca but not one on this??? Allen's Jewish ancestry but not a thing about a 10-month stint in a job? Perplexing?

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"criminals are the dumbest people I've ever met and they make mistakes, lots of them."

BUT THEY CAN USUALLY GET AWAY WITH IT, AS LONG AS THE COPS ARE CROOKS!

Rove has made so many errors because of his hubris, like taking and making all those phone calls to New Hampshire during that election-fraud felony, (one of them already did hard time for it) he would be frog-marched out of the WH right to the DC jailhouse.

But you don't see any DC policemen or G-men standing in line to go get him.

Bluedog, I do have faith. More than a little of it.

But not in greedy, power-hungry people.

They tend to get desperate, and until we create an electoral system that can not be determined by anything other than the public ballot, we give these desperate characters every advantage.

I believe in democracy, I just don't trust our current government to protect it.

If someone like you was given cart blanche to investigate, I would feel much more confident. But as it is today, there is no way a serious investigator would ever be allowed do thier job properly.

In this case, the truth may set US free, but it will inevitably put some of these creeps behind bars. And they have no intention of letting that happen.

If we had been more vigilant over the past decade towards resisting the degradation of our government into this post-monica, neocon "superpower" mentallity, we might have installed some safeguards to protect our process.

But instead of strengthening our democracy, in our national 9-11-inspired cowardice, we have handed back our rights, one at a time, until few remain.

When we should have shown strength through courage, instead we showed weakness, and handed over unlimited power to those who yearned to use it for profane profit.

And now we are paying dearly for that lack of courage. Literally and figuratively, ideologically and socially, we are paying a heavy price for our national cowardice after 9-11.

Posted by: JEP | November 1, 2006 2:03 PM | Report abuse

According to The Nightingale's Song, Webb resigned from the Reagan administration because of the Reagan's policy of putting U.S. flags on oil tankers in the Persian Gulf. OIL, OIL, AND OIL

Posted by: afam212 | November 1, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I simply point out that Dems are weak on defense and have bad ideas about economics. I also show how they prefer big government and having decisions made by the nanny state. do you prefer to live in your own reality where these facts aren't so. why do you wish to delude yourselves. If you feel so strongly and are so assured of your virtue, then proclaim it and let the voters decide. why do you hide from your true self?

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Hey KOZ,

Can you please post some more GOPher rhetoric demonizing Dem's, please? We're concerned our voters are not riled up enought to come out and vote on 7 NOV 06. We need you to tell us more about how we all Hate America, Support Terrorism, Don't Support Our Troops, etc. Oh, and could you also claim that we Hate Apple Pie, Our Grandmothers, Baseball, The Flag, Barbecue, etc.? Could you include in that how we use Diversity as an issue to Keep Minority's Down, have NEVER Balanced the Budget, Only Elect Perv's for Pres, Love Communism, and Think All GOPher's are Robotic Un-Thinkers who March in Goose-step to NeoCoNazi Leader Cheney (oh, my bad, that last might be true).

C'mon, spin us up some more, please? Or can't ya take a joke? Oops, no apparantly not.

Posted by: BlueDog | November 1, 2006 1:35 PM | Report abuse

"it is that this represents the sentiment of most of the Dem Senators and this was a most unfortunate time to expose the truth on that matter"

Today's talking-point...

It is the mantra on every wingnut program, "Kerry equals Democrat"

Just like they tried "Pelosi equals Democrat." but that didn't work, it is hard for big, tough men in race cars to be afraid of a little lady.

But now they've got Kerry in their cute little framing desperation tactics, and like Dean's scream, "the scream" itself will never be as loud as the fake indignation about "the scream."

Kerry's words will disappear from history in a day or two, but the accusations will remain until election day.

Divide and conquer...

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Alright Zouk, I've read your idiotic statements for months and usually you merely amuse me with your vitriol and childish insults. But I'm getting a little tired of this. Do you know why the Post has been running news articles about Allen all the time? Because every 10 days or so, he screws up his campaign. Macaca, racism, beating his sister, possibly beating his wife, a hidden arrest record. What do they have on Webb? He doesn't want women in the military. Now there's a surprise. He wrote some books that had sex in them. Oh no! Literature!

As to Kerry: he's an idiot. We get it. He was a bad candidate 2 years ago, and he hasn't improved much. I accept that. I've moved on. Maybe you should too. And this whole "defeat-o-crats" thing is just ludicrous. None of them are saying "don't support our troops!" Thats a lie. They want to bring out troops home because they don't see a point to a war that was foisted on this nation under false pretenses and quite frankly, Iraq hasn't been stepping up either. Additionally, there isn't much of a plan. Suddenly 'stay the course' doesn't mean stay the course? Rumsfeld telling reporters to 'back off' and stop asking questions because its being handled? Whats next?

I understand that you're a proud republican and thats fine. Do what you want. But the baseless attacks and this whole conspiracy theory you've got going are getting old. Yes, the media is mostly made up of leftist people whereas radio is dominated by rightist people. Is it a conspiracy? No.

And Kerry's a flip-flopper. Great. But so is the President. My favorite example are those steel tarriffs he put in place years ago and which were quietly retracted months later. Kerry at least served in a war. Bush dodged it. Rove dodged it. Cheney dodged it. When it comes to military matters and Republican figures, I'll trust John McCain and Lindsay Graham.

The difference between my world view and your world view is that you see things in black and white, us vs. them. I see things in shades of grey and things are nuanced. It is not so easy to just say "they want to attack again." I know that. But why? Killing a terrorist does not prevent terrorism. Dealing with the root causes does. And right now, we're creating a root cause in Iraq.

Stop your childish attacks and name-calling. Its getting old. You want to take the moral high-ground? Then grow up.

Posted by: sick and tired | November 1, 2006 1:25 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, am not worried about Ohio. Vote fixing only works to a limited extent, and really only when an election is close. Ohio's going to be a blowout, but....

IF, by some miracle, the Votes don't tally with the exit polls, I fully expect a SERIOUS effort to conduct a recall election. There will also be a flurry of MSM and outside MSM investigative journalism efforts, as well as SOME state/local investigations. Invariably, the scrutiny of multiple agencies looking into vote rigging will reveal a culprit, and even if it doesn't the public will be so outraged and the recall will. Yeah, yeah, I know, the cynics will say everything will be covered up, hidden, etc., but having been a Federal investigator (USAF, Special Agent) I will tell you criminals are the dumbest people I've ever met and they make mistakes, lots of them. Have a little faith.

Posted by: BlueDog | November 1, 2006 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Gee Zouk, it seems like Kerry reacted just as ineptly to his "macaca" moment as Allen did. Except Kerry reversed course and apologized sooner.

Webb resigned in protest as Secretary of the Navy. He was protesting a decision by Defense Secretary Carlucci to decommission some ships.

This stuff about the Democrats having contempt for the military is pure Rush fantasy land stuff. I will agree that there is an element on the left that does not like the military, but that is a fringe group.

Posted by: JimD in FL | November 1, 2006 1:14 PM | Report abuse

I see we have KOZ back, been out campaigning KOZ?

Kerry: Yeah, Kerry's an idiot, I'll give you that. He told a stupid joke, said it badly, reacted badly, and still hasn't figured out what to do. So what? Kerry's a loser, in more ways than one. Should he apologize? Only by saying he's sorry if anyone felt he was talking about the troops, but by reiterating he wasn't. Will that be acceptable? No, not really, but it's the best the GOP can expect, and the most the Dem's can allow.

Webb: Your point exactly is what regarding his service as Navy Sec? That you wished everyone to know that he stood firm on a strong navy and would resign on principle rather than agree to an order to disagreed with? Yeah, I want everyone to know that too, that he's a man of conviction and keeps his word.

Oh, oh, here's the inflamatory rhetoric: "Dems always did like having the government make all thier decisions for them" - Really? Dem's want the government to decide when we have the right to an attorney and to confront our accusers(habeas corpus)? We want the government to decide when a contractor gets awarded no-bid's (Halliburton) without oversite? We want the government to decide to reduce mine safety enforcement (West Virginia)? We want the government to decide to be in debt to the Chinese for $1 TRILLION? Hmmm..., somehow this smells like something a GOPher would endorse, then use inflammatory rhetoric to accuse the other side of the samething, putting them on the defensive while trying to prove a negative. Well played, nicely done, but we've seen that one before. What else ya got?

Posted by: BlueDog | November 1, 2006 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Somebody asked where bhoomes is. I suspect that his answer will be that he's out "fixing" voting machines across Ohio.

Posted by: Nor'Easter | November 1, 2006 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Kerry flip-flops (again) and apologizes. He actually didn't (refused to) apologize before he did. a litle late I think. Excuse me while I wipe that smirk off my face. The voters chose correctly in 2004 and they will again.

If flip-flop Kerry, Swimmer Kennedy, dick Turbin, Leaky Leahy and the rest of the over 60 crowd would hurry up and retire, you may just salvage your party in time to be competetive in 2016.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

JEP: well said.

Posted by: dc voter | November 1, 2006 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I was more interested in the bias exhibited by the Post which ran features on Allen over and over, past the point of news, while virtually ignoring Webb. Maybe its readers would like to come to their own decisions instead of being fed a decision.

But then again, Dems always did like having the government make all thier decisions for them - except birth of course.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Is it possible to find out anything about Webb in this "news" paper. why was he Navy Sec'y for only ten months? Isn't this something the voters might want to know. Or is it too detrimental to his chances? I see.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:40 AM

Here is your answer.

Posted by: wiccan | November 1, 2006 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"the endorsement of Steele by the Black Democrats"

...talk about overt political moves, this does not represent rank and file black voters, just "obligated" black politicians who had some of thier old favors called-in.

More and more, if polls are to be trusted (and they should be), it looks as if the only way the R's can win is by stealing votes, cheating and voter-supression.

The mysteriously-appearing last-minute advantage that always seems to come from R's legendary home-stretch arm-twisting, last-ditch endorsements and 72-hour miracle GOTV machine, may be the only thing prematurely celebrated this time around.

And all this talk about overconfidence on the part of Dems??

While no one I know is actually planning on a Democratic SWEEP, we are all hoping for one. But my circle of friends and associates, which includes political activists and campaign staffers, actually believe there is as good a chance the R's will steal this election as there is that the D's will legitimately take control of either house.

NO ONE believes the R's can win, but we all believe they will cheat.

And that is a sobering indictment of our election process.

When those involved at its very roots believe these results can be tampered with so easily, then we are teetering on the razor's-edge of chaos.

One thing is for certain.

If the election gets rigged again, there will be hell to pay on the streets of Akron, and all across this nation.

We aren't going to take the lies any more, if the exit polls don't match the outcome, or the Blackwells find a way to supress or decertify Democratic victory, it won't just bump over to the next spot on the gameboard in some Senate Gentlemen's agreement on civility, like 2000 and 2004.

The public will demand an answer.

Posted by: JEP | November 1, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

AP: Republicans scale back spending on Weldon race.

The information about the various moves came from public records at the Federal Election Commission as well as experts in both parties who track television advertising and campaign strategy. They spoke on condition of anonymity, saying they were not authorized to discuss confidential matters in public.

Weldon, a 10-term lawmaker, has become ensnared in a federal corruption investigation. It appeared that much of the advertising money the National Republican Congressional Committee had intended for his seat in the campaign's final days would be redirected to help Pennsylvania Reps. Michael Fitzpatrick and Jim Gerlach.

The two other races where Republicans are scaling back advertising include the Ohio district that convicted Rep. Bob Ney has represented, and the one Rep. Bob Beauprez vacated to run for governor of Colorado.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 12:33 PM | Report abuse

If we're lucky and mhk19 is correct, this could remove Kerry from the 2008 scramble. Democrats may have the White House to thank for helping winnow the field.

The story behind the Kerry story is how the White House co-ordinated its "outrage(?)." Fox tossing a softball question to Tony Snow, with the President's stump speeches already set to harp on the gaff. Give the White House credit; they saw an opportunity for a red herring and pounced on it.

Should we call softball questions to Tony Snow, snowballs?

Posted by: Nor'Easter | November 1, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Bechtel Corp. went to Iraq three years ago to help rebuild a nation torn by war. Since then, 52 of its people have been killed and much of its work sabotaged as Iraq dissolved into insurgency and sectarian violence.

Now Bechtel is leaving.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Kerry's gaffe is yesterday's news- and so is Kerry himself. You assert that Kerry's bad joke is not only an indication of what he actually thinks, but also an indication of what the whole party actually thinks. OK. Got a shred of evidence to back that up, beyond your own assumptions?

How about a quote from Dick Armey on the subject? ""Well, of course, this is a perfect example of politics in America ... The President wants the people to perceive [Kerry] of having maligned our troops... I think John Kerry's right. He's making a defense of himself. He's saying, 'Look, I was not maligning the troops, I was maligning the President of the United States.'"

Go ahead and cling to this if it keeps you warm at night for another week- it's a minor distraction, and it won't gain the Reps a bit of traction when push comes to shove.

Posted by: rook | November 1, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

In the Tennessee race between Harold Ford and Bob Corker, the RNC is hammering Ford with negative ads. Ford needs to once again put Corker on the defensive with his record as a government official and take the away the family values issue.

For example: If Bob "the rubber stamp" Corker was former republican governors Don Sundquist's rubber stamp for the state income tax, then he will be George Bush's rubber stamp for "staying the course" in Iraq and tax cuts for the rich.

or

Bob Corker made millions from the government positions he's held at tax payers expense, then what do you think is going to happen when he teams up with Haliburton?

Posted by: DC | November 1, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

What you will not read from Mr. Cillizza!!!

For uncensored news please bookmark:

otherside123.blogspot.com
www.wsws.org
www.takingaim.info
www.onlinejournal.com

House control in range for Democrats-Reuters poll

7:01 ET, Wed 1 Nov 2006
[-] Text [+]

By John Whitesides, Political Correspondent

WASHINGTON, Nov 1 (Reuters) - Democrats are ahead in races for 12 of 15 key Republican-held seats in the U.S. House one week before the Nov. 7 elections, placing them within striking range of winning control of the chamber, according to Reuters/Zogby polls released on Wednesday.

Five Democrats had comfortable double-digit leads in the battle for the Congress, with just one Republican, Michele Bachmann in Minnesota, holding a double-digit advantage.

Seven of nine Republican incumbents trailed Democratic challengers in the polls, and Republicans were behind in five of six open Republican-held districts.

Democrats must pick up 15 seats to reclaim control of the House of Representatives, and the polls found Republicans struggling to avoid being swept from power for the first time since 1994.

Since the last round of Reuters/Zogby polls in early October, when Democrats led 11 of the 15 races, Democrats improved their standing in nine districts and Republicans gained ground in six.

Three districts switched leaders, with two Democrats, Ken Lucas in Kentucky and Bruce Braley in Iowa, and one Republican, Rep. Thelma Drake of Virginia, moving into the lead after trailing in October.

"Democrats are getting very close to that magic number of 15," pollster John Zogby said. "Republicans are really on the ropes."

The polls were taken between Oct. 24 and Oct. 29 in 15 of the most competitive House districts across the country. The surveys of at least 500 likely voters had a margin of error of plus or minus 4.5 percentage points.

Democrats have surged in opinion polls around the country this year, propelled by growing voter disillusionment with the Iraq war, President George W. Bush and the Republican-led Congress.

The new polls found six Republican incumbents received support from fewer than 40 percent of voters who were asked if they deserved re-election, a very low level that is a danger sign for an incumbent.

The other three Republican incumbents, Reps. Rob Simmons in Connecticut, Drake in Virginia and Heather Wilson in New Mexico, were in the low 40s on the re-election question.

DEMOCRATS WELL POSITIONED

The Democratic leads in 12 of the districts polled puts them in position for a big win next week. Another three dozen House races are considered competitive, and Democrats are favored in several districts not even polled.

Those include the Florida district of Republican Rep. Mark Foley, who resigned in disgrace in a scandal over his lewd messages to teenage male congressional assistants, the Texas district of former Rep. Tom DeLay and the Pennsylvania district of Rep. Don Sherwood, who suffered his own sex scandal last year.

"The numbers are starting to work against Republicans," Zogby said.

Just two Republican incumbents, Simmons and Drake, were ahead in their races. Republican Rep. Geoff Davis of Kentucky, who led Democrat Ken Lucas last month, trailed this time by 3 percentage points, within the margin of error.

Other trailing Republican incumbents were Rep. Christopher Shays of Connecticut, behind Democrat Dianne Farrell 51 percent to 44 percent; Rep. Jim Gerlach of Pennsylvania, who trailed Democrat Lois Murphy by 49 percent to 44 percent; Rep. Chris Chocola of Indiana, behind Democrat Joe Donnelly 52 percent to 39 percent, and Rep. Mike Sodrel, who trailed Democrat Baron Hill 48 percent to 46 percent.

Republican Rep. Charles Taylor of North Carolina closed the gap on Democrat Heath Shuler but still trailed by 48 percent to 43 percent, while Wilson in New Mexico was behind Democrat Patricia Madrid 53 percent to 44 percent.

In open seats, Bachmann in Minnesota led Democrat Patty Wetterling by 52 percent to 42 percent, but Democrats led in the five other open House seats polled.

Posted by: che | November 1, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

The U.S. Air Force is asking the Pentagon's leadership for a staggering $50 billion in emergency funding for fiscal 2007 -- an amount equal to nearly half its annual budget, defense analyst Loren Thompson of the Lexington Institute said on Tuesday.

The request is expected to draw criticism on Capitol Hill, where lawmakers are increasingly worried about the huge sums being sought "off budget" to fund wars, escaping the more rigorous congressional oversight of regular budgets.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

It is not just what that old fossil Kerry said, it is that this represents the sentiment of most of the Dem Senators and this was a most unfortunate time to expose the truth on that matter. the voters understand all this and that is why it will stay in the news until tuesday. but it makes the choices crystal clear now doesn't it. why hide from your cowardly positions. Proclaim them and suffer the consequences/ rewards.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 12:14 PM | Report abuse

Daily Summary
House:
Dems +19
Toss ups: 24 (2 D 22 R)

Senate:
Dems +4
Toss ups: 4 (1 D 3 R)

Governors:
Dems +7
Toss ups: 4 (1 D 3 R)

Detailed Report:

US House
Dems need 15 seats

10 Rep seats are likely Dem (+8 or more)
AZ8 D+14, IN 8 D+13.34, NY 24 D+11, NY 26 D+8.25, NC 11 D+8.25, OH 15 D+12, OH 18 D+12.67, PA 7 D+8, PA 10 D+10.67, TX 22 D+8

9 Rep seats are lean Dem (D+4-7)
CO 7 D+7.75, CT 5 D+5, FL 13 D+7, FL 16 D+5.67, IN 2 D+7.43, IA 1 D+5.67, NM 1 D+6.33, PA 6 D+4.33

3 Dem seats are lean Dem
IL 8 D+7.5
LA 2, LA 3 are Dem seats not yet polled. Considered lean Dem.

24 seats are toss ups (2 D*, 22 R)
CA 50 R+3, CT 2 R+1.75, CT 4 R+0.25, FL 24 R+2, GA 12 D+3*, IL 6 D+3.67, IL 10 E, IN 7 D+1*, IN 9 D+3.8, IA 2 R+1, KY 3 D+0.25, KY D+0.5, MN 1 R+2, NE 2 E, NJ 7 R+2.5, NY 3 R+1, NY 19 D+3.5, NY 20 D+3.34, NC 8 D+3.34, OH 1 D+2, OH 2 R+3.33, PA 8 R+3.33, VA 2 R+1.14, WI 8 D+1

12 Rep seats are lean Rep
AZ 1 R+4.5, AZ 5 R+7.5, CO 5 R+6.5, FL 22 R+5, ID 1 R+4, MN 6 R+5.67, NV 3 R+7, OH 12 R+5, PA 4 R+4, VA 10 R+5, WA 8 R+4, WY at lrg R+5.5

Notes:
PA 4 is new lean Rep
PA 7 moved from lean Dem to likely Dem
PA 8 is trending lean Rep
VA 2 is trending towards lean Rep
VA 10 is new Rep seat lean Rep
WA 8 moved from toss up to lean Rep
WY at lrg is trending towards toss up

US Senate

2 Rep seats are solid Dem 10 or more
OH Brown(D)+10, PA Casey Jr (D)+10.5
2 Rep seats lean Dem
MT Tester(D)+5, RI Whitehouse(D)+6.11
1 Dem seat is lean Dem
MD Cardin(D)+8.33
3 Rep seats are toss ups
MO EVEN, TN Corker(R)+3, VA Webb(D)+1.14
1 Dem seat is toss up
NJ Menendez(D)+4.6

Notes:
MT is trending back towards toss up
MD and RI are trending towards solid Dem
NJ is trending lean Dem
TN is trending towards lean Rep, VA is trending towards lean Dem
CT moved from solid I to leans I Leiberman(I)+9
AZ is lean Rep Kyl(R)+8

Governors
5 Rep seats are likely Dem
AR Beebe(D)+13.5, CO Ritter(D)+14, MA Patrick(D)+21.93, NY Spitzer(D)+45.37, OH Strickland(D)+21.67

2 Rep seats are lean Dem
MD O'Malley(D)+4.67, MN Hatch(D)+4.5
3 Dem seats are lean Dem
MI Granholm(D)+8.25, OR Kulongoski(D)+7.23m WI Doyle(D)+6.3
3 Rep seats are toss up
AK Palin(R)+2.67, ID Otter(R)+1, NV Gibbons(R)+4
1 Dem seat is toss up
IA Culver(D)+3.44

1 Rep seat is lean Rep
FL Crist(R)+6.34
Notes:
MD is trending towards toss up
MN is moved from toss up to lean Dem and is trending towards solid Dem
MI is trending solid Dem
OR, WI moved from toss up to lean Dem and are trending towards solid Dem
AK, NV moved from lean Rep to toss up
ID is new toss up
IA is trending towards lean Dem
FL is trending towards toss up

Posted by: RMill | November 1, 2006 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Kerry lied about the war when he returned, testified before congress and displayed his utter contempt. this has never subsided and is evident in his statements, his votes and his dumb jokes. if you can't see this you are totally blind. go on and defend him, you are fighting a losing battle about a subject you probably don't want to discuss and expose your weakness.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Astonishingly, considering our history and the stakes, our leaders show not the slightest interest in understanding the fierce nationalism and deep religious divisions that have marked the Mideast since long before the United States existed as a nation. And thus we have repeated the decisive folly of Vietnam, where our "experts" ignored a thousand-year history of Chinese occupation in assuming that the fierce nationalist Ho Chi Minh was a puppet of masters in Red Beijing.

This time, we are led by a false warrior who insists on playing the simpleton, ignoring his prestigious education at Andover and Yale in favor of what he presumes are the prejudices of Middle America. Or is this giving Bush, the son of a president, too much credit? After all, we know from the various insider memoirs that Bush was unaware that Islam is roughly divided into two rival sects, Sunni and Shiite, while just last week he bizarrely announced that our Iraq policy had never been "stay the course"--as if he was unaware of the invention of video-recording equipment that had captured him saying just that countless times.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, drindl.

KOZ- what you're presuming is that voters will assume Kerry speaks (or misspeaks) for all Democrats- which is a leap of faith. An understandable one, given your party's current prospects, but not one which I'd mortgage the House on- or the Senate, for that matter.

The biggest news to come out of it will be that Kerry is not a serious candidate for '08- which should come as a surprise to no one but Kerry at tis point.

Posted by: rook | November 1, 2006 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Cook is cooking the books to fit his old prediction. a toss-up race indicates no clear outcome, regardless of previous statements. Does he only concern himself with how he will look next week. the reports of the Republican demise are also premature.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 12:06 PM | Report abuse

The idea that Kerry has contempt for the military is downright laughable. He has contempt for the idiocy of George W. I agree he should apologize for saying something that is so easy to misconstrue, but no one with half of a brain thinks he was actually insulting, demeaning, or otherwise holding contempt out for our troops. This shows just how desperate Republicans are at this juncture. (And how much Kerry desperately needs to give up hopes for 2008.)

Posted by: dc voter | November 1, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

"I think we have an administration today that is dysfunctional," Perle said. "And if it can't get itself together to organize a serious program for finding nuclear material on its way to the United States, then it ought to be replaced by an administration that can."

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Sandwich Repairman- Cook is a good source, I agree, and he's got a much more holistic view right about now. I try to combine a few different sources, myself. Electoral-vote.com, politicalwire, Real Clear Politics, Rothenberg, Cook, and our friend Chris.

Unfortunately, Chris, your coverage has declined in relevancy the closer we get to Election Day. I understand the desire to stay in the middle of the road, but try to keep abreast of late breaking shifts, even if they don't fit the storyline you're promoting (i.e., Republican resurgence). Sue Kelly is in serious trouble, and Randy Kuhl's not looking all too healthy either.

Posted by: rook | November 1, 2006 12:01 PM | Report abuse

ooops. Must be that Wiccan coming back in threes thing.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

KOZ: posting the same screed multiple times doesn't make it any more persuasive.

Posted by: Loudoun Voter | November 1, 2006 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Somebody needs to tell Kerry that he shouldn't tell jokes. Even when he doesn't blow the punch line, he just doesn't do it very well. He also needs to get a bit of humility and apolgize when he says or does something really stupid. The up-side of his faux pas is that maybe he will realize that he shouldn't run for the nomination in 2008 - probably not, but we can hope! (FYI, I did a lot of volunteer work for him in York County PA in 2004, and the D turnout there was a big factor in his winning that state.)

Posted by: mhk19 | November 1, 2006 11:58 AM | Report abuse

It is news because:
1- it shows an underlying contempt for the military by Kerry and his fellows
2 - his refusal to apologize indicates he is a fool
We all have our macacca moment but pros retract and cover, imbeciles pretend they did nothing wrong.

This just shows that Dems can't be trusted to defend the nation - a key issue in this election. Next he'll say "I have plenty of money to pay more taxes".

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Oh, here's somebody who says the republicans can't be trusted to defend the nation. Richard Perle, one of the architects of the Iraqi War... and he knows whereof he speaks. Nobody was a more integral part of the neocon establishment than perle, and he knows how much danger we're in right now with this incompetent administration:

"Richard Perle , former Reagan assistant secretary of defense, former Bush brain-truster on the Defense Policy Board, and a key promoter of the war to find Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, blistered the administration as "dysfunctional" when it comes to stopping someone from bringing "a nuclear weapon or even nuclear material into the United States."

"Knowing that there are people who wish to do that," Perle said, "knowing they are seeking weapons of mass destruction, you would think that we would have put in place a system or at least be working assiduously in the development of a system that would allow us to detect nuclear material entering the New York Harbor or Boston Harbor or what have you.

"But we haven't done that," he said at a Center for Strategic and International Studies gathering. "And the reason we haven't done that is hopeless bureaucratic obstruction. Somebody needs to shake that loose." Perle added that while some have tried to overcome the bureaucracy, no one has succeeded.

Posted by: drindl | November 1, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mhk19 | November 1, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

No Republican can say with a straight face that Kerry was demeaning our troops. The problem I have is that Kerry should have stated that he was referring to Bush. Its Kerry's delivery that always bothered me. Another reason he should not even consider running for president in '08. Horrible campaigner. Problem is that I can't find a Democrat that has inspired me yet for '08. I ain't happy about the choices so far.

Posted by: Political Junkie | November 1, 2006 11:56 AM | Report abuse

It is news because:
1- it shows an underlying contempt for the military by Kerry and his fellows
2 - his refusal to apologize indicates he is a fool

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:55 AM | Report abuse

It is news because:
1- it shows an underlying contempt for the military by Kerry and his fellows
2 - his refusal to apologize indicates he is a fool

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Over the last three years, Senate Democratic Policy Committee (DPC) hearings have uncovered massive waste, fraud, and abuse relating to government contractors operating in Iraq. This report presents twenty of the worst oversight outrages, as documented in testimony and evidence presented at DPC hearings:

1) Halliburton billed taxpayers $1.4 billion in questionable and undocumented charges under its contract to supply troops in Iraq, as documented by the Pentagon's own auditors. More...

2) Parsons billed taxpayers over $200 million under a contract to build 142 health clinics, yet completed fewer than 20. According to Iraqi officials, the rest were "imaginary clinics." More...

3) Custer Battles stole forklifts from Iraq's national airline, repainted them, then leased the forklifts back to the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) through a Cayman Islands shell company -- charging an extra fee along the way. More...

4) Halliburton allowed our troops in Iraq to shower, bathe, and sometimes brush their teeth with water that tested positive for e. coli and coliform bacteria. One expert has said that the troops would have been better off using the highly polluted Euphrates River. Halliburton has admitted that it lacked "an organizational structure to ensure that water was being treated in accordance with Army standards and its contractual requirements." More...

5) Halliburton served the troops food that had spoiled or passed its expiration date. Halliburton managers ordered employees to remove bullets from food in trucks that had come under attack, then saved the bullets as souvenirs while giving the food to unwitting soldiers and Marines. More...

6) Halliburton charged taxpayers for services that it never provided and tens of thousands of meals that it never served. More...

7) Halliburton double-charged taxpayers for $617,000 worth of soda. More...

8) Halliburton tripled the cost of hand towels, at taxpayer expense, by insisting on having its own embroidered logo on each towel. More...

9) Halliburton employees burned new trucks on the side of the road because they didn't have the right wrench to change a tire -- and knew that the trucks could be replaced on a profitable "cost-plus" basis, at taxpayer expense. More...

10) Halliburton employees dumped 50,000 pounds of nails in the desert because they ordered the wrong size, all at taxpayer expense. More...

11) Halliburton employees threw themselves a lavish Super Bowl Party, but passed the cost on to taxpayers by claiming they had purchased supplies for the troops. More...

12) Halliburton chose a subcontractor to build an ice factory in the desert even though its bid was 800 percent higher than an equally qualified bidder. More...

13) Halliburton actively discouraged cooperation with U.S. government auditors, sent one whistleblower into a combat zone to keep him away from auditors, and put another whistleblower under armed guard before kicking her out of the country. More...

14) Halliburton sent unarmed truck drivers into a known combat zone without warning them of the danger, resulting in the deaths of six truck drivers and two soldiers. Halliburton then offered to nominate the surviving truck drivers for a Defense Department medal -- provided they sign a medical records release that doubled as a waiver of any right to seek legal recourse against the company. More...

15) Halliburton's no-bid contract to rebuild Iraq's oil infrastructure was the worst case of contract abuse that the top civilian at the Army Corps of Engineers had ever seen. She was demoted after speaking out. More...

16) Under its no-bid contract to rebuild Iraq's oil infrastructure contract, Halliburton overcharged by over 600 percent for the delivery of fuel from Kuwait. More...

17) Halliburton failed to complete required work under its oil infrastructure work, leaving distribution points unusable. More...

18) Iraq under the CPA was like the "Wild West," with few limits and controls over how inexperienced officials spent -- and wasted -- millions of taxpayer dollars. More...

19) Cronies at the CPA's health office lacked experience, ignored the advice of international health professionals, failed to restore Iraq's health systems, and wasted millions of taxpayer dollars. The political appointee who ran the office had never worked overseas and had no international public health experience. More...

20) Administration officials promoted construction of a "boondoggle" children's hospital in Basra, which ended up more than a year behind schedule and at least 100 percent over budget. More...

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

What would you say if I told you that American soldiers were being knowingly subjected to unclean water, that the Pentagon and Halliburton, the contractor in charge of delivery of this e.coli and coliform collection, knew this via multiple reports from military doctors who have had to treat our soldiers for contamination issues...and that our troops would have been safer to just dip water out of the Euphrates (where dead bodies float by regularly these days) because the raw river water is less contaminated than what they are being given?

What if I told you that the Republican controlled House and Senate have not even bothered to have an oversight hearing on this issue -- not one - because maintaining their rose-colored glasses illusion is more important than keeping our troops safe?

Nothing like our troops brushing their teeth in non-potable water day in and day out as a morale booster, I always say, because it's so easy to keep an eye out for IEDs and ambushes and a steady hand on the machine gun when you are doubled over with intestinal pain. Jeebus, what is wrong with these people?!? As if our soldiers don't have enough to deal with as it is in Iraq, an American company with the complicity of the GOP leadership of Congress and Rummy's Pentagon do nothing to clean up this water mess because, clearly, water would be of no real value while our soldiers are serving in the desert.

And that is just one of twenty outrages uncovered by the Democratic Policy Committee. Read the whole list, and feel the increase in your blood pressure. And then ask yourself why it is that you've seen so little coverage of this in the corporate media?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 11:50 AM | Report abuse

The Kerry uproar is ridiculous. The guy was insulting George Bush, not the troops. Everyone knows it. The administration knows it. The pundits know it. But I don't blame anyone for capitalizing on a way to misconstrue what was a stupid, stupid thing to say. Still. Kerry (who I find to be idiotic) was insulting Bush; not the troops. This should not be news.

Posted by: dc voter | November 1, 2006 11:47 AM | Report abuse

The press dutifully slogs for Karl, making a huge deal of out some silly joke kerry tells, but they refuse to pay attention to the much bigger deal -- which is that our troops have been put under the command of Iraqis:

'American soliders do not abandon their own. Unless, of course, someone orders them to do so. Which is exactly what happened when the Bush Administration -- via it's envoy Zalmay Khalilzad -- agreed to lift the eight day long blockade and search and rescue mission for the captured American soldier...on the demand and order of the Iraqi government.

You read me correctly, the US envoy in Iraq has decided that our US military personnel should take orders from the Iraqi government and abandon one of our soldiers to the Mahdi Army. That this decision occurred abruptly after Stephen Hadley's visit to Baghdad yesterday raises a whole host of questions in my mind -- and the press had better damn well be asking for some answers from the Bush Administration today.

The move lifted a near siege that had stood at least since last Wednesday. U.S. military police imposed the blockade after the kidnapping of an American soldier of Iraqi descent. The soldier's Iraqi in-laws said they believed he had been abducted by the Mahdi Army as he visited his wife at her home in the Karrada area of Baghdad, where U.S. military checkpoints were also removed as a result of Maliki's action.

The crackdown on Sadr City had a second motive, U.S. officers said: the search for Abu Deraa, a man considered one of the most notorious death squad leaders. The soldier and Abu Deraa both were believed by the U.S. military to be in Sadr City.'

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I guess no one in here wants to talk about the disdain Kerry, Kennedy, Durbin and the rest of the surrender crowd have for the armed forces of the US. Can't say I blame you. better to stick with your stealth agenda. I will look for the secret Dem platform in the NYT or in Berger's socks sometime next year.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:45 AM | Report abuse

If I am the only one here who thinks that the MD Senate seat is in danger of going to the Republicans, then I am glad for that. I might be unnecessarily alarmist as no one else seems to have any concerns and if that is indeed the case, that is fine - but I do not feel so good about this race.

This ties in both of Chris' posts today as I think the endorsement of Steele by the Black Democrats and the PG County Council (most of it) is a bigger deal than realized. The endorsements may not be from a newspaper, but they are significant. Was Bill Bennett putting on a good game face yesterday when he talked about Steele winning? Maybe - but I think there is more to it. . .

Who would have thought that a VA Senate seat could possibly go to the Dems this year? From the beginning, I suspected that this race would be close, but with Allen pulling it out in the end - I am still sticking with that and will be happy to be wrong about it. . .

Posted by: star11 | November 1, 2006 11:43 AM | Report abuse

the stories of my demise are premature.

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:42 AM | Report abuse

The Ohio situation is downright terrifying. Jon Stewart made me laugh about it last night, but only uncomfortably. SURELY, I have to believe, surely this level of activity will merit close attention and prevent the unthinkable? DeWine is not going to win that election; whether those are the results posted remains to be seen. And how a gubernatorial candidate can also monitor the elections is shocking in and of itself. You KNOW the Repubs would NEVER, EVER allow those two positions to be held by a single Dem. Lord, I can only imagine the outrage.

Posted by: dc voter | November 1, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: kingofzouk | November 1, 2006 11:40 AM | Report abuse

he and His Majesty of Zouk are AWOL. Having found the temperature to have risen to an uncomfortable degree, they have apparently decided to leave the kitchen. can't say i miss them.

Posted by: where is bhoomes? | November 1, 2006 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I bet you're right about Allen and spouse abuse. Fits right in with what his own sister siad about his sadistic habits.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 1, 2006 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, what is it with the coverup of Allen's warrants and divorce records? If he were a Dem you reporters would be all over it.

And rook, you are righrt about NY 19. Sue Kelly has become a laughingstock after she was shown on local news running [yes actually running] away from a debate with John Hall, when he asked her what she knew about Foley when she was a page supervisor. They finished the debate with a name card on her empty chair.

che-- you have some important stuff to say. But please -- escerpt and make it shorter or people will scroll right past it.

Posted by: drindl | November 1, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

One of the main reasons Webb has benefited from the bad PR for Allen, from maccaca to his mother's bloodlines, is that Allen, like Bush, is a obvioulsy big, dumb doofus with smarter handlers managing his moves (when they are close enough to shut him up).

But Webb is a micro-manager himself, I would guess he calls most of the shots.

All this public exposure has graphically exposed this to the voters, who are so fed up with the "spoiled-son" political mess we are in right now, it gives them a very good reason to vote for Webb.

Which goes to show, if we had mandatory debates for every race,starting the day after the primaries, then this kind of information would be available to voters, without the media there to patch up things for candidates like Allen.

Posted by: JEP | November 1, 2006 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"Allen's mysterious criminal record isn't even worth mentioning?"

Sounds like he's still running with the same gang of bullies, the ones who beat-up on that American citizen/voter...

What was Allen arrested for, anyway?

If even that is being covered-up, it must be a doozy.
Spouse abuse? Repear DUI?

Maybe he got arrested for buying bananas?

Posted by: JEP | November 1, 2006 11:22 AM | Report abuse

rook, I think that Chris is being conservative in his predictions--like Stuart Rothenberg is. Check out Charlie Cook's ratings. http://www.cookpolitical.com

Posted by: Sandwich Repairman | November 1, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I remain perplexed as to why you haven't included NY 19th and NY 29th yet. Both of these look to be far more likely to switch than, say, GA 8th or CO 5th.

Posted by: rook | November 1, 2006 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Between his goons assaulting an ex-Marine law student yesterday, available for anyone to watch on YouTube, and whatever dirty secrets Allen is hiding in those sealed divorce records (I thought family values politicians didn't believe in divorce?), I think for the first time that VA is more winnable for Democrats than TN. You could even argue that Webb has pulled ahead of McCaskill because the polls from MO have almost all been ties (within the margin of error), while a series of polls from VA are now showing Webb ahead, by more than the margin of error in at least some cases if not all. I'm less certain about TN, but I feel slightly more optimistic than pessimistic about MO and VA now. I think the Democrats have their 51 seats now. Not since 1910 has party control of the House changed without the Senate doing the same. When a record stands for 96 years in US politics, you can be sure it's stood that long for good reason and is awfully difficult and unlikely to break.

Dems win 235-240 House seats, 51-53 Senate seats, and 30 Governorships.

Posted by: Sandwich Repairman | November 1, 2006 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Aw, c'mon CC, mention Allen's arrest record fer cryin' out loud! Geez, you help the GOP create a tempest in a teapot after John Kerry (who isn't even up for re-election) flubs a punchline but Allen's mysterious criminal record isn't even worth mentioning? Does that make any sense at all?

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | November 1, 2006 11:08 AM | Report abuse

George Allen's campaign staff (security?) did him no favors by manhandling a protester yesterday. Allen needs to shred his image as a bully and build one of that as a stateman. I believe its too late now.

Posted by: afam212 | November 1, 2006 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Cillizza,

We ask you friendly to comment on this article, show us your best side(for the first time in your life). Like in Star Wars just choose for the good side!!!

I WOULD LIKE TO ASK THE READERS TO BOOKMARK THE FOLLOWING SITES TO BREAK THE CENSORED NEWS WALL.

Yours,
Che

ELECTION ALARM!! SPREAD THE WORD!!

For uncensored news please bookmark:

otherside123.blogspot.com
www.wsws.org
www.takingaim.info
www.onlinejournal.com

Will a shocking new GOP court victory and Karl Rove's attack on Ohio 2006 doom the Democrats nationwide?

By Bob Fitrakis and Harvey Wasserman

COLUMBUS -- With a major GOP federal court victory, the Ohio 2006 election has descended into the calculated chaos that has become the trademark of a Karl Rove election theft, and that could help keep the Congress in Republican hands nationwide.

Through a complex series of legal maneuvers, and now a shocking new decision from the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, the GOP has thrown Ohio's entire process of voting and vote counting into serious disarray. The mess is perfectly designed to suppress voter turnout, make election monitoring and a recount impossible, and allow the Republican Party to emerge with a victory despite overwhelming evidence the electorate wants exactly the opposite.

The disaster in Ohio began immediately after the theft of the presidential election here in 2004. Though the majority of Ohioans are registered Democrats, the gerrymandered state legislature is overwhelmingly Republican. Soon after John Kerry conceded, it passed House Bill 3, a draconian assault on voter registration drives, voting rights and the ability to secure reliable recounts of federal-level elections.

In brief, HB3 stacked a virtually impossible set of requirements onto the voter registration process. As elsewhere nationwide, voting has traditionally involved citizens coming to the polls and signing a poll book. Upon a signature check from a poll worker, a ballot has been given. A similar process has been in effect for absentee ballots. There is no recent evidence this method has encouraged significant voter fraud.

But the GOP's HB3 has imposed a series of draconian requirements for voter ID, including the demand for certain documents very difficult to obtain by many poor, homeless, elderly or other largely Democratic demographic groups.

To further complicate matters, Secretary of State J. Kenneth Blackwell, who is now in charge of the same election in which he is the GOP nominee for governor, has added some additional, entirely arbitrary disqualifying factors of his own. Blackwell was the state co-chair of the Bush-Cheney campaign in the 2004 election, which he also ran while making the key decisions that gave Bush-Cheney a second term in the White House.

On all absentee ballots, HB3 demands an identifying driver's license number, or the equivalent. But Ohio driver's licenses have two codes on them. The "correct" one has two letters and six numbers. The "wrong" one is an eleven-number bureaucratic code that appears above the ID photo.

According to preliminary reports, as many as 10 percent of those sending in absentee ballots so far have included the wrong code, thus disqualifying their vote. The process is so confusing that one Republican federal judge, in a court proceeding, has volunteered the fact that he actually put this same "wrong" number on an application for a rental car, temporarily nullifying his contract. Here in Columbus, Board of Elections Director Matt Damschroder estimates that 5,000 ballots would already be disqualified in Franklin County alone.

So far the wave of absentee ballots pouring into the county boards of elections indicate an extraordinary percentage of Ohioans will vote absentee this year. Many are likely hoping to avoid distrusted electronic voting machines, as well as the long, racially-biased lines that tainted the 2004 election.

In response to reports of large numbers of absentee disqualifications, a federal lawsuit has been filed by a Cleveland homeless advocacy group and the Service Employee's International Union. The suit was then deemed to be a related action to the landmark King Lincoln civil rights filing that resulted in a September ruling preserving the ballots from Ohio 2004, and was sent to Judge Algernon Marbley, who made that decision.

Last week Judge Marbley threw out the HB3 drivers license requirement for the absentee ballots. On Wednesday, November 1, he will hold a hearing on whether to void all the HB3 requirements that are poised to disqualify tens of thousands of likely Democratic voters on election day.

Blackwell himself did not appeal Marbley's ruling. He is trailing by as much as 30 points in some Ohio polls. He has been seriously hurt by the widespread belief that he stole the 2004 election, and is reluctant to be openly identified with yet another mass disenfranchisement of Ohio voters.

Instead, Ohio's GOP Attorney General Jim Petro did appeal Marbley's decision. And on Sunday, October 29, the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals stayed Marbley's suspension of the driver's license number requirement on the absentee ballots, casting the entire process into deep confusion.

This ruling means that county boards of election that were telling voters they did not have to include the drivers license number on their absentee ballot after Marbley's decision must now resume telling them they must include that number.

The decision sends a strong signal that if Marbley overturns the HB3 voter ID requirements for citizens coming to the polls, that too is likely to be appealed and then overturned by the Court of Appeals.

Indeed, if Marbley throws out the rest of the HB3 after the Wednesday, November 1, hearing, a final ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court on all these procedures may not come until within hours of election time.

In other words, Ohio's lame duck GOP attorney general, and the GOP-dominated federal court system, are now in the process of pitching the entire electoral process in the state of Ohio into a spiral of chaos.

HB3 and Blackwell's arbitrary directives have already devastated Democratic voter registration drives and caused thousands of mostly Democratic potential voters to wonder about their true eligibility to cast a ballot on November 7.

The mainstream media is portraying this latest episode as a blood feud between Petro and Blackwell. But the real winner is the Bush White House, which has every reason to suppress the vote November 7.

Blackwell is trailing so badly in the polls it's hard to imagine a theft big enough to allow him to win. But the critical U.S. Senate race between the GOP's incumbent Mike DeWine and U.S. Representative Sherrod Brown is very close. So are numerous congressional races throughout the state, any one of which could help decide who controls the U.S. House of Representatives.

The tactics being tested and used here in Ohio are certain to surface in various forms around the U.S. HB3, for example, has quintupled the fees charged by the state for a recount. In Ohio 2004, the Green and Libertarian Parties obtained a flawed and ultimately worthless recount for about $120,000. A similar statewide recount for the 2006 U.S. Senate race would cost about $600,000.

But Blackwell has decimated even the previously feeble safeguards for such recounts, making them even more illusory than they were in 2004. HB3 has also removed any state recourse in the case of a contested election here for the U.S. Senate or House, or for the presidency.

So even if a recount showed a clear theft, the state courts are barred from jurisdiction. The only appeal now allowed would be a direct plea to the federal courts or Congress.

On the other hand, HB3 provides no special system for monitoring the electronic voting machines on which about half the state's ballots will be cast. Though a paper receipt is now required for all electronic voting machines, there is no method by which the Diebold, ES&S, Triad and other touch-screen computers or electronic tabulators can be reliably protected from tampering.

Based on reports from the Conyers Congressional Committee, the Government Accountability Office, the Brennan Center, Princeton University and the Carter-Baker Commission among others, the vote count reported by Ohio's voting machines could be flipped by J. Kenneth Blackwell or other election official -- or even amateur hackers -- in a matter of moments, with a few simple keystrokes.

In sum: there is no way such a manipulation could be definitively stopped, monitored, proven or reversed.

Thus Ohio enters the last week prior to this most critical mid-term election in recent memory in utter vulnerability and chaos. Tens of thousands of absentee ballots already cast are in limbo. Their ultimate status may not be determined until hours before election day, if then. Hundreds of thousands of potential voters remain uncertain about what, if any, forms of identification they will be required to include on their absentee ballots or to present at their polling stations. If the experience of 2004 is repeated, many of those polling stations will be incorrectly listed on the secretary of state's official web site.

Thousands of Ohio citizens may also not know if they are actually registered to vote. All 88 of Ohio's county boards of election are effectively controlled by Secretary of State Blackwell. Since 2000, without official notification, some 170,000 voters have been stripped from the registration rolls in Cuyahoga County (Cleveland), 170,000 in Franklin County (Columbus), 105,000 in Hamilton County (Cincinnati) and 28,000 in Lucas County (Toledo).

Overall, nearly 500,000 registered voters are known to have been eliminated from the rolls in overwhelmingly Democratic districts in a state where 5.6 million people voted in 2004, and where George W. Bush won with an alleged margin of less than 119,000 votes. There is no evidence similar eliminations have occurred in Republican areas.

While reports of widespread purges have not proved true, there is increasing evidence that county boards of elections used voter notification cards required by HB3 that were returned by the post office to flag hundreds of thousands of voters' names at the polls throughout Ohio and force them to vote provisionally. An Erie County official placed the number of flagged voters at about 24 percent in his county.

Blackwell has further ruled that citizens who vote with provisional ballots at their correct polling place but in the wrong precinct (which may be housed in the same building) will not have their vote counted. Back ups of provisional voters created long lines in 2004. The only safe place to cast a provisional ballot is at the county board of elections, but often these votes are disqualified because voters fail to check off a small affirmation box, or do not supply a date of birth or other requested technical information.

Ohio's electoral process is thus once again sinking into a fog of confusion, disenfranchisement and theft perfectly designed to prolong the GOP control of the government. There is every reason to believe that in the week now remaining before the actual election, the GOP and its allies in the federal court system will use the escalating chaos to their advantage in attempting to keep control of the U.S. Congress, here and in other states.

The definitive question hovering over the future of American democracy thus remains: who will do what about it, and when?

This article originally appeared in The Free Press.
Bob Fitrakis & Harvey Wasserman are co-authors, with Steve Rosenfeld, of WHAT HAPPENED IN OHIO: A DOCUMENTARY RECORD OF THEFT AND FRAUD IN THE 2004 ELECTION, just published by the New Press. Fitrakis is of counsel, and Wasserman is a plaintiff, in the King Lincoln lawsuit. Fitrakis is an independent candidate for governor, endorsed by the Green Party; Wasserman is author of SOLARTOPIA! OUR GREEN-POWERED EARTH, a.d. 2030, available via www.solartopia.org.

Posted by: che | November 1, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse