DeMint To Face a Democratic Challenge?

Is Jim DeMint a Democratic target? Photo by Susan Walsh of AP

On the same day that President Barack Obama used Sen. Jim DeMint's now-infamous "Waterloo" comment to castigate those who play politics with health care reform, a top official at the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee was sitting down with a possible challenger to the Republican in 2010.

State Sen. Brad Hutto was in Washington yesterday and met with DSCC executive director J.B. Poersch, according to two sources familiar with the meeting. Those same sources downplayed the idea that DeMint was an emerging target for Senate Democrats, noting that Poersch meets with lots of prospective candidates all over the country.

Still, with the Democratic National Committee running television ads bashing DeMint as a roadblock to health care reform and the President citing him as an example of what's wrong with politics, it's intriguing -- to us at least -- that there is some ongoing effort to find a credible candidate to challenge him in 2010.

Hutto was first elected to a state Senate seat in 1996 from a district that includes Bamberg, Barnwell and Allendale counties. Hutto has openly expressed an interest in challenging DeMint; he was initially seen as a gubernatorial candidate in 2010 but stepped away from that race when state Sen. Vincent Sheheen, a personal friend of Hutto's, made clear he would run.

Another name being bandied about as a potential Democratic candidate is attorney Ashley Cooper. Cooper, a former aide to Sen. Fritz Hollings (D- S.C.), is also mentioned as a potential candidate against Rep. Henry Brown (R) in the Charleston-area 1st district next November.

Whether DeMint is at all vulnerable remains a major question mark. Polling shows DeMint popular in the state, he is sitting on more than $2.6 million in the bank, and the Palmetto State is strongly Republican at the federal level.

"A Democratic candidate would need to be able to wrap the economic woes that face South Carolina around DeMint and try to make him a part of the system that has resulted in record unemployment and problems in our state," said former Democratic Gov. Jim Hodges (S.C.).

At the moment, it would seem as though Hutto or Cooper would be rightly regarded as long shots against DeMint. But, both are credible enough to take advantage of a major mistake by the incumbent which, given the strong Republican tilt of South Carolina, may be the best Senate Democrats can hope for.

By Chris Cillizza  |  July 23, 2009; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Most Important Number in Politics Today
Next: Wag the Blog: What Does 2009 Mean for 2010?

Comments

yeah, the brothers and sisters are not qualified unless they have a birth certificate.

==

You mean a LONG FORM birth certificate

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 23, 2009 7:15 PM | Report abuse

chris:
((rolling))

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 6:55 PM | Report abuse

uh, i think someone better inform drain you that i am not, (cough cough)a repulsive.

so your assumptions and judgements are incorrect, at this time.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

2008: they're not "real Americans"

(meaning small-town church-going pinch-faced nasty white bigots)

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 23, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Nemo,

It's impossible to keep track of how Republicon party knuckle-draggers like you inferiorize the scary black people.

Thankfully, we now have an easy to follow flow chart guide to keep us up to date on the latest dog whistle phrases the Republicon party uses to fire up what's left of their low IQ base:

1955 - They are an inferior race

1965 - They are lazy workers

1975 - They make old white customers uncomfortable

1985 - Affirmative action means their diplomas are bogus

1995 - They are a litigation risk for discrimination

2009 - They are racists who discriminate against white people

Posted by: DrainYou | July 23, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

drain you:
yes you do-
i was just finishing your sentence for ya.

"you Wingnut cretins"....((wooooo-shuttering)))
and dare i say, i have a birth certificate to prove it.

but i gave it to king
so he could burn it at the stake along with every one else that doesn't follow the american history x model.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

TheBabeNemo,

I would feel offended by your comments but as usual with you Wingnut cretins, I have no idea what the hell you're talking about.

Posted by: DrainYou | July 23, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

(rolling)
but seriously:

.."but without some law to verify the fact that all the documentation AND my memories AND what my mommy and daddy told me is TRUE who can say for certain I wasn't actually born, well... anywhere...."

***true. verification of data is crucial. look at healthcare reform.

....."Have I eaten a hot dog?
Do I know how to play football?...."

***well, along the lines of the breaking news on the Gates "case" (the professor)--the new scenario is this:
"copper: where's your i.d.?"
"person: i don't have one"
"copper: have you ever been on a plane?"
"person: yes"
"copper: then how can you not have an ID?"
"person: "i was a baby"

****i (personally) was given dirty "looks", disbelief looks, like i was nuts looks, at a traffic accident because i did NOT have a cell phone and could NOT call a tow truck.
--by the copper of course.

so therefore:

...."Dear God, please, oh Pete, let congress pass the Republican sponsored and Godly blessed HR-1503 bill, so that I can one day hold my head high, knowing that I am who 45 years of paperwork, memories, and endless documentation says I--.....gulp......"

what?

don't believe a word of the USA Patriot Act?

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 3:55 PM | Report abuse

drain you:
heck, i don't know.
you all look alike to me.
that i can see from my porch.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 3:42 PM | Report abuse

Please help me!

I now spend my days in fear that an INS official will knock on my door, round up my family, and deport us.

After all... how can I be REALLY, ACTUALLY, TRULY and COMPLETELY sure I'm in the country legally.

Now.....yes, I have a birth certificate that says I was born in Chicago, Illinois and, yes, my parents tell me I was born at Edgewater Hospital and, yes, up until now I've been allowed to live and reside and educate myself and work in the United States of America, but without some law to verify the fact that all the documentation AND my memories AND what my mommy and daddy told me is TRUE who can say for certain I wasn't actually born, well... anywhere.

I might be Sudanese.

Or Chinese.

Or any of a thousand different "ese" I've never thought of.

Hell, I could really be a citizen of IRAN, which would, justifiably put me on a thousand different watch lists and make me ineligible to compete on or watch American Idol!

Now that I think of it... not being an American... how did I even learn to speak or write in English (good GOD can you even READ what I'm writing?).

Have I eaten a hot dog?

Do I know how to play football?

Am I male... caucasian... HUMAN?

I have a diploma... but did I REALLY go to college?

I have a mortgage... but do I own a house? (Help me out here Republican sociopath Queen of Zouk!)

I have a marriage license... but maybe that never happened either.

Am I ANYTHING my documents say I am or have I always been plotting to impersonate myself?

And see, since I'm quite sure I DID NOT ever apply for, nor was granted, a green card (and don't even mention the process of becoming a naturalized citizen) I might just be an illegal alien hiding in plain sight of myself, while taking the jobs and social services for real Americans (whomever they might be).

Furthermore, my wife (if she really IS my wife), Mary, might not be a natural or naturalized citizen and though my children have birth certificates CLAIMING they were born in Dekalb, IL... my youngest son on THIS day seven years ago... and I'm pretty sure I remember being on domestic soil when he came out all purple and goopy, without a law to reconfirm and redocument what previously been confirmed and documented on driver's licenses and passports and loan documentations, how can I know what is TOTALLY, ABSOLUTELY, VERIFIABLY, CROSS-MY-HEART-AND-STICK-A-NEEDLE-IN-MY-EYE true?

(And by true, I mean "the earth is 6000 years old" true not "fakey-fakey evolution" true.)

(Oh, God. There's someone at the door. This is it! This is the end. PLEASE KNOW... I LOVED YOU BEST!!)

(Never mind... just a pizza. Mmmm, pepperoni.)

Posted by: DrainYou | July 23, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Stupid zouk expects readers to forget what they read seconds before. Must reflect his own attention span, possibly explaining why he's in a mental institution

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 23, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

women don't belong in politics.

Posted by: chrisuxcox

wow first Indians, now chicks. Is it only men who wear dresses that you adore or tolerate? you seem like a typical misogynist Lib. Or is it just that you hate so freely?

Question: if two haters like drivl and chrissuxcox meet, do they hate each other (default position for other humans) or somehow do two negatives make a positive (look out Libs, math ahead). Result they fall in love with each others cats and fight over who gets to wear the dress and makeup. Drivl refusing to submit to age old objectification of sows and her new belle wondering about self-identity.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 23, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Democrats attacking DeMint would be like in 2008 when Democrats tried to beat James Inhofe in Oklahoma. Well, not quite that bad b/c 2008 was an extremely Democratic year and Dems. were really on offense. In 2010, Democrats must defend Illinois, Delaware, Connecticut, New York, Arkansas, Colorodo, California & Wisconsin. Plus they have to try to take real targets: Missouri, Ohio, Kentucky & possibly New Hampshire. Spending money in a losing effort would be stupid.

Posted by: reason5 | July 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

It wouldn't hurt the Dem party to force him to burn a bit of that stash. After all, Lizzie Dole was a *huge* favorite in last year's election. Until she wasn't.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 23, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I see the "independent" joked has once again sided with the Republicans. But he's not a Republican, oh no no.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | July 23, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It’s time for American women to say “thank you” to Sarah Palin.

==

Yeah, for lending credence to the traditional belief that women don't belong in politics.

Palin sets back equality by forty years.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

chris:
I can see you from my porch.

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

the ads are flying down here.....
i just saw the "squeeze" one.
I believe I saw Waterloo (we went over that strategy at breakfast)...

i'm sorry, but I see a wonderful PR play here.
Make a commercial. Knock the President. 'Cause the Pres is a Dem and you are a repulsive.
Next day, announce candidacy!

pres is on

Posted by: TheBabeNemo | July 23, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

It's fairly evident that certain posters are incapable of "real conversation."

Posted by: nodebris | July 23, 2009 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Well said:

"Folks,

As part of an ongoing effort to foster real conversation in the comments section, let me plead that we keep comments to the topic at hand rather than simply posting links on whatever is on your mind.

Thanks,
Chris

Posted by: Chris_Cillizza | July 22, 2009 1:52 PM "

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 23, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

"It’s time for American women to say “thank you” to Sarah Palin."

Yes, for demonstrating that when times get tough, quitting is always an option.

Posted by: Bondosan | July 23, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

With all the leading economic indicators showing that we are heading out of the recession, DeMint might have some trouble. I expect unemployment to start moving down by next summer. So where will we be? The Obama's Stimulus will be working and DeMint was against it. We may hear those comments about breaking Obama over and over again on TV and someone besides Obama may be on the road to Waterloo.

Posted by: bradcpa | July 23, 2009 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: opp88 | July 23, 2009 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Another stellar contribution from the dunce

Posted by: chrisuxcox

Looks in the mirror and casts no reflection

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 23, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | July 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

i see zouk is posting every two minutes all day today. He must have doubled up on his prozak and gotten frantic.

Posted by: drindl | July 23, 2009 2:01 PM

Drivl looks in the mirror and sees zouk.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 23, 2009 2:06 PM | Report abuse

It’s time for American women to say “thank you” to Sarah Palin.

Palin illustrates that a woman can be feminine while being a strong, smart leader. Sarah Palin’s feminine appearance, charm, and rhetoric transformed the dowdy image of female leadership a la Betty Friedan, Bella Abzug, Madeline Albright, or Janet Reno. With her casual and humorous approach to public speaking and her down-home expressions, she made harsh feminist diatribes seem empty, meaningless, out-of-touch and out-of-date. Her savvy, confident demeanor reflects her sense of self as a wife, mother and accomplished career woman. Like Margaret Thatcher, Palin’s soft exterior is a stark contrast to her tough inner strength. Unlike Nancy Pelosi’s surgically induced gash of a smile, which is hard to endure, Palin simply lights up the room when she enters it.

Palin illustrates that a woman can be happily married, have children, and maintain her family priorities while pursuing a demanding career. Sarah’s family is never far from her even when she travels — and this has been a source of ethics complaints by the hateful left. Her husband, Todd, is her chief cheerleader and constant support. The children take turns going on trips with their mother, and the whole family is obviously a part of her calling to public service. The Palins’ decision to have Trig, their 5th child and a Down Syndrome baby, is indicative of the pro-life and pro-family values that make the Palin family so distinctive and rile the left to such hatred.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Good for Crist!

'Yesterday, Gov. Charlie Crist (R-FL), who is running for Senate, traveled around his state to promote “Explore Adoption Day.” In Tallahassee early in the day, reporters asked Crist whether he’d be willing to change a Florida law that currently makes it the only state with an outright ban on gay adoption:

At first, Crist said it would be the Legislature’s responsibility to change the law. When pressed on whether he would support the effort, Crist said, “I’d have to think about it.”

But later in the day, he traveled to Jacksonville, where he told the local paper, “I think Florida has it right right now.” HRC writes, “It is insulting, frankly, to promote an ‘Explore Adoption Day’ when a group of Florida citizens are expressly banned from adopting.”

Posted by: drindl | July 23, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | July 23, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse

There are 256 Democrats in the House, with one vacant Democratic seat. Only five Democrats signed both the Blue Dogs' and Polis' letters. That means that 57 Democrats signed one letter or the other, pledging to oppose central features of the Democratic health care bills. Few, if any, Republicans are expected to support either bill. You do the math. The Democratic leadership seems well short of the 218 votes needed for a majority on the floor. No wonder House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said it's time "to go back to the drawing board."

Obama and congressional Democratic leaders are blaming Republicans for their problem. Obama noted that Republican Sen. Jim DeMint and Weekly Standard Editor William Kristol want to "kill" the Democratic bills. But the Blue Dogs' and Polis' letters showed that the mortal threat comes from elected Democrats. Twenty-nine of the 57 letter signers defeated or replaced Republicans in 2006 or 2008. Thirty-three of them represent districts carried by John McCain in 2008.

What we're seeing is the people speaking through their politicians. Obama and many Democrats assumed that the financial crisis would predispose most Americans to favor a larger and much more expensive government than we ever have had before.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | July 23, 2009 1:59 PM | Report abuse

caribis, good points.

Posted by: nodebris | July 23, 2009 1:56 PM | Report abuse

BRING IT ON!

==

Another stellar contribution from the dunce

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 23, 2009 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Bsimon,
I agree, Demint pretty much said so himself too with his Waterloo comments.

Posted by: AndyR3 | July 23, 2009 1:33 PM | Report abuse

A strong challenge to DeMint would do one of two things. He would cool the rhetoric if he thought that was hurting him in the polls or he would ratchet it up if he thought it was helping him by "standing up" to Obama. If he shuts his mouth the Democrats win by making him an example. If he cranks up the rhetoric the Democrats have a boogey man and someone to blame for the stalemate. 2010 is not going to be a banner domestic year, it is good to have a Republican on whom the blame sticks.

Posted by: caribis | July 23, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

andyr3 asks
"You mean when the Russians burned their own fields to starve the French Army, which BTW was the event that really broke the back of Napoleon's forces?"

If DeMint is Russia & Hutto is the French Army, yeah, I think DeMint would 'burn his fields' to win.

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 23, 2009 1:24 PM | Report abuse

DeMint stepped right into this. You don;t get called out by members of your own party and walk away with out a fight on your hands.

Posted by: parkerfl1 | July 23, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

A Republican is essentially invulnerable in South Carolina. Things that you and I might think would hurt him, like boneheaded comments about race or economics of foreign policy, will actually help him. I like the state, so I say this with a certain amount of affection, mind you. But you really can't lay the crazy on too deep for South Carolina. Let me put it this way: jaked would feel right at home there.

Posted by: nodebris | July 23, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Bsimon, You mean when the Russians burned their own fields to starve the French Army, which BTW was the event that really broke the back of Napoleon's forces?

Hutto might have a chance against Demint, especially if he can somehow tie Demint to Sanford and his high unapproval in the state. Although, the likelihood of that would be slim.

Posted by: AndyR3 | July 23, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

BRING IT ON!

Posted by: JakeD | July 23, 2009 12:45 PM | Report abuse

This story is useless without polling data on DeMint. Is he at all vulnerable or is this like Napoleon marching on Moscow?

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 23, 2009 12:38 PM | Report abuse