Joe Sestak launches ad linking Arlen Specter to George Bush

With 12 days left before Pennsylvania voters head to the ballot box, Rep. Joe Sestak (D) has launched what he hopes will be a political death blow to Sen. Arlen Specter (D)-- an ad that details the party-switching incumbent's Republican past and casts his party switch in purely opportunistic terms.

The ad, which was produced by the Campaign Group and began running last night, features footage of then President George W. Bush praising Specter as "the right man for the United States Senate" and adding: "I can count on this man."

While the Bush footage is damaging -- reminding Democratic voters of their wariness about casting a vote for someone with such a long history in the Republican party -- it's Specter's own words that may be the toughest part of the ad.

In an era where voters have grave misgivings about Washington generally and politicians specifically, Specter's seemingly self-serving justification for the switch -- and the fact that it comes directly from him in the ad -- means that there is real danger in the next few days for the Senator.

Make no mistake: this ad is the make or break moment of the Pennsylvania primary. This is the ad that Sestak saw in his mind's eye when he decided to run against Specter despite the fact that the entire establishment -- including President Barack Obama -- had lined up behind his opponent.

With polling suggesting that he is down by mid to high single digits, Sestak is laying it all on the line with this ad. Watch to see if numbers move in a significant way over the next week as the ad reaches saturation level. If Specter can weather this ad, he will win. If not, the race will be Sestak's for the taking.

By Chris Cillizza  |  May 6, 2010; 11:26 AM ET
Categories:  Senate  | Tags: Arlen Specter, Democratic, George W. Bush, Joe Sestak, Pat Toomey, Pennsylvania, Republican Party, United States Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How many retirements is too many for Democrats?
Next: Tom Perriello and the politics of principle

Comments

Specter continues to give Pennsylvania the best representation in centuries. He had to leave the Republican party because of THEIR litmus test -- and he simply wasn't psycho right wing nut. He wasn't PURE enough for them (their words).

So now this competitor Sestak, once more taking the moral low road, is suggesting that Democrats should become the same as Republicans and give PURITY TESTS? Give me a break.

We all know Specter was a loyal Republican for decades--and tried to change the party from within. When the Rs sickened him with their sicknesses, craziness and hatred (as they have to so many of us including me) he LEFT the party.

To me, that is the best moral and ethical thing to do. When you cannot support or stomach their policies, you leave!

Sestak's companing about this is like complaining that a man who leaves his wife to whom he had been faithful, was wrong to leave, and that he should've have remained loyal to her forever even though she was cheating and planning to kill him.

Specter is loyal to his new party, and will always be faithful to Pennsylvanians. He moved over to the moral and caring party that Sestak wants to change to mirror the Rs.

Sestak will always be a creep.

Posted by: moorpheus | May 12, 2010 6:24 AM | Report abuse

I think that U.S. Senator Arlen Specter is a good person who has always put Pennsylvania above politics!

Posted by: atifgulab | May 7, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a childish and meanspirited ad and it doesn't take into account the people of PA who have voted for Senator Specter, the man, and not the party all these years. No matter what party Senator Specter is affiliated with he has always done a good job for the people of Pa. As a Democrat I will be voting for Senator Specter, because as a idenpendant minded Senator, I know he has the maturity, wisdom and leadership qualities we need in Pa. Sestak apparently sees more in just claiming to be the real Democrat-frankly who cares. I vote for the man or woman not the party.
Oh, and, we are suppose to hold it against him because he was supported by our former President? Come on.
You know, I have to wonder where Mr. Sestak is getting all the money for these ads? There are resentful Republicans out there who would support Sestak just to unseat Specter. Could Sestak be sleezy enough to be taking Republican money while claiming to be the real Democrat?

Posted by: margievogel | May 7, 2010 2:45 AM | Report abuse

I like Brigade better when he's not in his "poo-flinging" mode

Posted by: Noacoler | May 6, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

margaretmeyers wrote,
"Sestak makes me think of Corzine..."

You mean he's a crook?

Posted by: Brigade | May 6, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

paul65 wrote,
"And I think Specter had a point last year when he argued that, after so many years of service, he would prefer for all Pennylvania voters to control his political future, not just Republican primary voters."

Wouldn't the same be true of Democratic primary voters? So he's going to run as an independent if he loses to Sestak?

"I respected Specter's willingness to speak honestly at the time about his decision -- I thought it was trademark Specter, and even though Chris and others are now pointing out that such frankness puts Specter in a weakened political position with respect to some voters, in my opinion his speaking-out is evidence of Specter's independence and principle."

Pardon me while I vomit.

Posted by: Brigade | May 6, 2010 7:46 PM | Report abuse

And, back to the subject of the failed SUV bomb, what about the idiocy of various "experts" explaining on television why the bomb didn't work and what the terrorists should have done instead? Sure, it's fun to show of your "superior intelligence" and make fun of incompetent terrorists, but is it really a good idea to help them improve their next product by telling them, in specific detail, how to make it work?

Posted by: Gallenod | May 6, 2010 3:07 PM

-------

37th has warned you time and again about the liberal media. No one should be surprised.

Posted by: Brigade | May 6, 2010 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Scrivener50 wrote, regarding Sestak:
"he has served admirably in the House as a loyal Democrat -- so any baggage he carries from his military service seems irrelevant."

So the benchmark for admirable service is how loyal one is as a Democrat. Anything else is simply irrelevant. Honesty, character, doesn't matter.

"HOMELAND FUSION CENTERS LORD OVER CITIZENS WITH 'TORTURE TOWERS' GOD MACHINE

"The scalar waves produced by the radio frequency directed energy weapon (RFDE) are capable of carrying multiple "subcarrier" radio frequencies that effect human physiology, at variable power levels (or "amplitude"). In effect, the RFDE represents a "God machine" that can manipulate, disrupt, or destroy the biological processes that govern the functioning of human beings."

Scrivener my boy, I'm afraid it's too late for you. The "God machine" has obviously already done its work.

Posted by: Brigade | May 6, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

BP Oil Gusher

It appears that the big cofferdam is now at the spill site. It will take 2-3 days before it is known how well it works. Assuming they get it down to cover the wellhead.

If the cofferdam works, and 3 months from now they take the pressure off the leak by the cross drilling wells, then it seems that only leaves the BIG QUESTION.

What caused the explosion that began this whole fiasco?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 7:23 PM | Report abuse

ceflynline, I feel much the same way about Specter. He gets hit from both sides because he isn't enough to the right or enough to the left. He is a centrist pol and he has done well by PA. He is showing himself to be a beter and better Democrat, and he has a staying power I'm not sure Sestak has.

Sestak makes me think of Corzine: wanting more when he hasn't shown what he can do with what he has. Sestak has not been good to his party. He should have stayed in Congress, where his CD had only just come to the Democrats and now looks like it might go back to the Republicans. If he had stayed put that would have been a safe seat and he could be growing in the job he already had and doing good things for Pennsylvania in the House.

Still, this commercial is his best shot. I hate Bush as much as anyone, but I'm still voting for Specter.

Posted by: margaretmeyers | May 6, 2010 6:36 PM | Report abuse

Arlen is, by the way, a refutation of the Republican denigration of the concept of "Politician."

A politician is a practitioner of the art and science of maintaining the Polis, the city, the essence of civilization. You cannot maintain the polis without constant compromise, both of your own sentimentalities, and by your actions to build compromise by others of theirs. You cannot run a legislature without them, something the Democrats recognize and the Republicans reject. It isn't, by the way, that the Republicans reject compromise, because every day Republicans compromise their own principles to make their "principles" congruent to the Republican talking points of the day, its just they refuse to accept that they could better serve their constituents, their states, their country, AND their party and themselves were they to accept that compromise is what separates the civilized from the barbarian.

Once upon a time Politicians knew what they were and were proud of it. But hard right Republicans got their party to run on the declared antithesis of politician, (and, by the way, on the negation of career politician,term limits and all that), and have been permitted to get by with their living contradiction of those principles in their "non-career non-politician" career politicians.

I would vote for Arlen were I a Pennsylvanian, even though I am much closer to Sestak, and even somewhat to his left on most issues.

We need competent politicians in the Senate and Specter is just vastly more competent a politician than Sestak.

Posted by: ceflynline | May 6, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

""My change in party will enable me to be re-elected," Specter is shown saying twice in the 30-second ad. The commercial's narrator adds: "Arlen Specter changed parties to save one job....his, not yours."

At the time of the switch we wondered why Specter would verbalize the idea that his party switch was based on the calculation that he couldn't win in a Republican primary against former Rep. Pat Toomey (R) -- a decidedly impolitic justification for the move."

Arlen just might be able to make it stick because of what it can be interpreted as meaning.

Arlen is a centrist and can prove it. Once upon a time the republican party was striving to get control of the center, and they put Arlen in their particular camp. He became a Republican. Being within a party is what an honest with himself and his constituents politician needs to have the position to work for his constituents. Sticking with your party is the right thing when your party sticks with you, but when your party hares off to some totally foreign field for you you look for a party you can fit into. The D's, back under Clinton, saw the republicans abandonning the center and moved to occupy it. Ask any chess player of the soundness of that strategy. In moving to claim the center, they made no effort to oust the Left, so they became a party that fit both Sestak and Specter. Arlen's claim that he changed parties because he can no longer get nominated as a republican is an recognition of that change. Changing parties, where he doesn't change positions, is a valid move.

SOOO, can Arlen sell that to Pennsylvania?

Posted by: ceflynline | May 6, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

ChrisF, Canadian banks have proven safe. I actually have no idea how one would transact business in VN. But in MX, one can keep American dollar accounts to avoid exchange rate fluctuations with the peso. Many green card workers in TX retire back to MX and live well on their savings plus their USA SS checks. But if they cash their US SS checks in a MX bank for pesos they lose half their value! So the US Dollar accounts, which are run by non-MX bans, are very popular.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | May 6, 2010 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Obama has everyone extremely jittery.

==

Speak for yourself, *Republican*.

If you can read the NYT without needing a 12-step desensitization, read this:

Posted by: Noacoler | May 6, 2010 4:54 PM | Report abuse

good luck with vietnamese dong if/when the dong depreciates against the dollar...

==

I'm sure this will happen but it would have to depreciate a lot before I felt any pain .. since I started to buy land over there the exchange rate has gone from 15,000 to 20,000 and has since retreated a little. What really matters most to me is the vastly lower cost of living over there, allowing me to retire early and in luxury instead of working until I'm walking on a cane and retiring to a cottage .. or under an overpass.

Ditto gold. I bought most of mine at 800.

@bsimon1: I'm aware of this, of course, and haven't moved much over there, mostly as escrow toward paying the company building my house. Given the right-wing cant of American economics, though, I see a real risk in keeping my money in American banks after I sell my house and move over there .. it may sound tinfoilesque but I worry about things like some future Republican government confiscating expats' savings, or even confiscating savings accounts to "properly" concentrate wealth in the hands of those who "handle it best." That may sound crazy but so does just about everything coming from Republicans these days.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 6, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

cnbc reporting that some trader mistakenly typed in billion instead of million.

This is just dumb enough to be true.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

"if I move money into Vietnamese banks in Đồng instead of dollars I can get 10.28% interest."

They are compensating you for the added risk of putting your money in Vietnamese banks.

Posted by: bsimon1 | May 6, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: von_wallenstein | May 6, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I hear Specter recently made comments that seemed to indicate he reggretted leaving the Republican party. If Toomey hadn't been kicking hit butt in the Republican primary then Specter would have stayed a Republican. The Democrats wanted that 60th vote so bad they basically made a deal with the devil. A devil that cares nothing about the Democratic party, only what's convienent for Arlene Specter.

Posted by: RobT1 | May 6, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Obama has everyone extremely jittery.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 6, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Buzz is that it was program trading that dropped the market 1000 points. Shades of 1987. I thought there were circuit breakers on this kind of action.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

@noa,

Sometime we'll have to talk about how one makes money in the market. You are not wrong with your analysis of "phony valuations", but what you don't fully realize, is the opportunity that comes with that.

Anyway, you are a real estate investor, and feel better about that type of asset allocation. There is nothing wrong with that--it's still investing. We should all do what we do best.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

yea so much for all your comments about how important 11,000 was.
-----------------------------------
What kind of an idiot are you? You make EVERYTHING a political statement. You clearly do not have money in the market. We're all in the same boat here (except for you possibly). All our retirement is tied up with the market. Don't you know that betting against the market is betting against America and against all of us.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

==

Back in the early days of the dotcom boom when Linux was new and exciting but nobody knew much about it, some company announced that they were shipping "Linux PCs" and their stock soared in value. Know-nothing investors rode the buzz and decided that this company was on the leading edge, an ignorance-driven valuation where hundreds of millions of dollars were created out of thin air and later vanished right back whence they came.

Reality check: any PC can become a Linux PC, the only difference from a Windows PC is the cost of a Windows license for an OS slated to be overwritten. But the investor caste didn't know that, to them "buzz" was reality.

I haven't taken the stock market seriously since then.

Yeah I could probably make a lot of money if I cared to educate myself in this crap, but I'd rather watch continental drift than get involved in finance.

Today I'm starting the cash-out of one of my retirement accounts, taking the money and the tax hit along with it and investing in a third parcel of land adjacent to my other two in Viet Nam .. the $25K will double in two years, easily, and with the house on the middle of the three I will have vast value there.

And if I move money into Vietnamese banks in Đồng instead of dollars I can get 10.28% interest.

I'll take that over the phony valuations of the stock market any day.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

President Obama has tried to sugarcoat his administration’s inadequate and tardy response to the worst oil spill in our nation’s history. His claim that the administration has been “all-hands-on-deck ... from day one” is laughable.

The Deepwater Horizon well exploded on April 20, but the President did not make his first remarks on the incident until nine days later and finally visited the region May 2, 12 days after the massive explosion. In the days after the spill, the administration did not express much concern and the Coast Guard commander for the region said that “we do not see a major spill emanating from this incident.” Instead of sending the “A-team” to the region, the President dispatched a deputy Interior secretary.

Prior to addressing the Gulf disaster, the President found time to blast Wall Street and the governor of Arizona, advocate Earth Day awareness, meet with the Rev. Billy Graham, pitch racial politics in his weekly radio address, prepare his jokes for the White House Correspondents’ Dinner, make a racially divisive video to activate his political coalition for the 2010 election and hold an impromptu news conference on a range of topics. In this news conference, the President discussed everything from the Supreme Court to immigration, but did not mention the disaster in the Gulf
Five years ago when Hurricane Katrina hit, government officials at all levels failed the citizens of the state. This time, there are similar failures from government officials who waited much too long to take action. Dealing with an emergency effectively requires decisive leadership. On that important test, President Obama failed miserably. Of course, the liberal mainstream news media has given the President a pass. If a Republican President had neglected such a crisis for so long, there would be a media firestorm.

Obama’s response to the oil explosion was so tardy that he actually accomplished the impossible. He made George Bush’s response to Hurricane Katrina seem downright timely.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 6, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"On the one hand, this Miranda controversy is a tempest in a teapot. Everyone knows their rights already, it's not as though having the perfunctory reading of one's rights is going to trigger resistance where before the reading one would have spilled all the beans."

You think this is true? The reason everyone knows they have these rights is because Miranda rights are in all the cop shows on TV. Otherwise, I doubt a large majority of people would know that they aren't compelled to answer an arresting officer's questions.

Posted by: DDAWD | May 6, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Gallenod | May 6, 2010 3:07 PM
------------------------------------
I used to poohpooh this kind of argument, saying that effective bombbuilding is widely available. I was wrong. With the advent of these bumbling bombers, who obviously are not capable of learning effective techniques, maybe they are learning from TV how to build a better car bomb.

Have we entered the world of "reality TV", or what?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues

yea so much for all your comments about how important 11,000 was.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 6, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Spector is a much more reliable vote for the Democrats in the Senate than say, Nelson or Leiberman. And the changes in his voting pattern may simply be where he's wanted to vote in the past but felt somewhat constrained by Republican party consideration.

However, there is one factor in the race that no one seems to be discussing publicly. Spector is 80 years old and has had health issues in the past. Even if Spector survives the primary and defeats Toomey in November, if a Republican is elected governor of Pennsylvania and Spector becomes incapacitated or dies in office, Pennsylvania could end up with Toomey appointed to the job he didn't win in the election.

At some point (not that anyone in West Virginia or South Carolina seems to care) you'd think voters would start thinking about electing for the future instead of from the past.

Posted by: Gallenod | May 6, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Is everyone following the stock market? Market was just down 1,000 points! (Deserves exclamation mark). Bounced back 500 points at the moment. Well, that's quite a correction.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

On the other hand (sorry) .. the fact that this small-minded little controversy has any traction speaks loudly about how low our political discourse has fallen. The people (using the term generously) who want to undermine the foundation of American law are at least as unamerican as the jihadists, and just as dedicated to destroying the American experiment.

I remember when conservatism was a legitimate poltical position, now it seems to be nothing but ugliness, ugliness, ugliness.

Posted by: Noacoler | May 6, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

NPR has an interesting story about how the numerous leaks about the TSq bomber affected the case. The leaks came from law enforcement and were exaggerated because of rivalry between the FBI and local police. Nothing new there.

It got so bad that the suspect was listening to the news and knew what route law enforcement was taking to find him (through VIN of vehicle). Reporters started showing up at the suspect's home waiting for law enforcement to show up and arrest him.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

12BB, for what it's worth, Specter didn't simply switch the letter after his name. His voting pattern has changed to be much more progressive after he changed parties. Perhaps it's just another manifestation of doing whatever it takes to be reelected, but Dems can't really be unhappy with his record since making the switch.

Posted by: DDAWD | May 6, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Gallenod -- yes , thank you for the rational post on the subject -- nice to see something about it that isn't a mindless, hysterical,bedwetting rant.

I agree with you 12Bar, I like Sestak better too, but the important thingg is keeping the evil Toomey out.

Posted by: drindl | May 6, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Gallenod, good post. I will add that even after a Miranda warning an intelligence interrogation can proceed. Thus the Mirandized accused terrorist suspect knows that he can cooperate for some form of leniency or be handed over to an intelligence officer on a Patriot Act request.

The weak minded* young ones generally spill their beans post Miranda. If a hard case is encountered, and the info is deemed more valuable than the conviction, the intelligence units can have the suspect at any time.

*weak minded = middle class upbringing suddenly turned jihadist in a few months time, to the utter consternation of parents and friends. Turned quickly one way can be turned quickly another.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | May 6, 2010 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Gallenod,

It is so wonderful to read an intelligent, informed, moderate response to the question about Miranda warning. Thank you for restoring my faith in reasoning.

Re: Spector

First, I am not a Pennsylvanian, so my opinion counts for little.

I am a lifelong Democrat. I don't care much for Spector. I understood why he changed party so Sestak's ad doesn't shock me. And, yet, if I were voting, I would vote for the candidate who can best win the general, even if that is Spector. The principle to protect is to keep the Senate in Democratic hands so that the progressive agenda can be enacted.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | May 6, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Surely, the democrats took the DISRESPECT FOR BUSH TO NEW LEVELS - for them to start crying foul right now when a democrat is the subject is simply NOT RIGHT - IT IS RACIAL AND RACIST.

I will make the point again: in order for our political system to be FREE OF RACISM, we NEED TO HAVE THE SAME LEVELS OF DISRESPECT PRESENT NOW AS WE HAD UNDER BUSH.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 6, 2010 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Sestak is finally in the game. It's hard to see where Spector has an effective answer to this.

However, I tend to agree with Paul65 that Spector is not evil, but opportunistic and he has shown an independent streak more than once.

And, as legal issues are an interest of mine, the "public safety exemption" to reading Miranda rights to a suspect is based on a 1984 Supreme Court case, New York vs. Quarles (http://www.oyez.org/cases/1980-1989/1983/1983_82_1213/). The key requirement in the 5-4 decision is "immediacy", which in this case was when the arresting officer noticed an empty shoulder holster and asked where the gun was. Quarles indicated where the gun was and after securing the weapon the office then immediately read Quarles his rights.

The public safety exemption is not a blanket loophole for law enforcement to interrogate without Mirandizing a suspect, and particularly not two days after an event. From a legal standpoint, if you want a conviction it is *never* wrong to Mirandize a suspect. Anyone telling you otherwise apparently wants any subsequent prosecution in any court in this country to fail.

Posted by: Gallenod | May 6, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Michelle Obama to Host
Mother's Day White House Tea Party

Obama is in real trouble if his wife has already bailed on him.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 6, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, shrink -- maybe someday Chris will realize the character is driving everyone away and ruining his blog.

Posted by: drindl | May 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

No matter what bulls hit 37th wants to talk about, he had better come up with something that will counteract this news...

Private Sector Adds 32,000 Jobs, ADP Says

BY KATHLEEN MADIGAN

Private payrolls grew in April, while layoff announcements fell to a near 4-year low, according to data released Wednesday.

Posted by: DDAWD | May 6, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

The decision to mirandize the terrorism suspect.

Why wasn't the public safety exception in the discussion all along?

It appears that Obama - and Obama alone - tried to make an issue about Miranda rights - however he never spoke about the public safety issue.

Did Obama know about the public safety exception?

If he did, then he was being deceptive in his criticism of Bush - if he didn't there has been a serious flaw in Obama's arguments about the miranda rights all along - which is it ?

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 6, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

drindl

I guess you are just going to continue with your name-calling - and your hostile comments - which contribute nothing to the discusion.

And copying and pasting does nothing too, by the way.

Your comments make you eligible to be banned.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 6, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Wow, one must look for very vicious attacks by Specter on Sestek and an ad by Specter defending himself from this ad. Money is going to be spent and it's now just gotten very ugly. Specter has already gotten an endorsement from Obama, now will Obama come to Specter's aid and appear in a commercial and all to rally the black community in Philly for Specter? That's what Specter needs now to beat out Sestek. This could very well happen.

Posted by: reason5 | May 6, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Ok the daily disaster is off and running.
Bye.

But hey, if the America's Cup can get a new set of rules, maybe The Fix can too?

"...the next America's Cup venue has not been decided yet, although San Francisco is a strong contender because it is home of Oracle's founding Golden Gate Yacht Club."

I heart sailing. If the races are there, I'll be there.

Posted by: shrink2 | May 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

von wallenstein -- he's a moron -- an inmate of some variety, who iis on here posting racism 24 hours a day.

Posted by: drindl | May 6, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

von_wallenstein

Whether you like it or not, the false charges of racism is going to be an issue in all these elections this fall.

NO ONE likes the poision which the false charges of racism has brought to our political system.

Yes - it is about time the country had a discussion about what is fair game and what is not.

The point is the level of disrespect which was given Bush - that same level is fair for Obama.

Racism aside - the only way to be FREE OF RACISM is to have the SAME CONDITIONS AND STANDARDS UNDER OBAMA AS WE HAD UNDER BUSH.

Simple.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 6, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

what does this smithtown times have to do with the price of tea in china?

Posted by: von_wallenstein | May 6, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Pennsylvania, whether you retire him this month or in November, you have to get rid of Specter. He's a disgrace.

Posted by: kenpasadena | May 6, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

There is an IMPORTANT ISSUE which has been brought up by a SMITHTOWN newspaper over a satire picture of an older Obama later in life becoming a character in Sanford and Son. Apparently few people find the image actually racism - however there is discomfort out there.

The Smithtown newspaper is on Long Island in New York.

The issue is this: it is about time to distinquish between DISRESPECT AND RACISM. Perhaps the picture in the Smithtown paper was disrespectful, but clearly it was not racist - so it is considered fair game.

This is an important distinction. There was a great deal of disrespect shown Bush by the democrats over his years in office - when racism was never an issue.

Surely the same level of disrespect is fair game.

There is a level of poison in our political discourse right now - and it comes from the sense that some people are crying false charges of racism - for speech and conduct which if against a white President would NEVER be questioned.

I will go one step further: The political discourse will CONTINUE TO BE RACIST UNTIL THE SPEECH REACHES THE SAME LEVELS OF DISRESPECT AS WAS COMMON UNDER BUSH.

In other words - in order for the political discourse to be FREE OF RACISM, the level of disrespect for Obama MUST equal the level of disrespect shown for other Presidents, Bush included.

If there is restraint, or false charges present, then there is a racial component - and it is racist.

The FIRST STEP again is to start to distinquish between DISRESPECT AND RACISM - and the political society and media has to regard the DISRESPECT AS FAIR GAME, NORMAL AND EXPECTED.

Smithtown Paper - Thank you very much.

Posted by: 37thand0street | May 6, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Wow, that's a nut-buster of a spot. Specter has been a creep from the start of his career as a propagandist for the Warren Commission. No magic bullet is going to save him in this campaign.

Posted by: tobetv | May 6, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

PA SENATE PRIMARY A REAL HEAD-SCRATCHER FOR DEMS

This PA Senate race is confounding Democrats. Whatever you think of Specter, he's a scrapper who gets things done for his constituents. And yet he did support the main components of the Bush-Cheney agenda that decimated this nation -- and whose legacy programs continue under a naive Obama administration.

As for Sestak, his odd, almost out-of-body persona and his refusal to release his military record give PA Dems some pause. But he has served admirably in the House as a loyal Democrat -- so any baggage he carries from his military service seems irrelevant. Specter's ugly ad campaign may backfire for that reason. And, of course, Sestak is a much younger man, in better health.

As of now, this Democrat gives the edge to Sestak. But never count out Snarlin' Arlen, a good man saddled by his notoriety as a leading actor in some indelible American moments (Warren Commission, Anita Hill, his embrace of George Bush, etc.)

***

HOMELAND FUSION CENTERS LORD OVER CITIZENS WITH 'TORTURE TOWERS' GOD MACHINE

-- Veteran Journalist Vic Livingston, from:

MORE PROOF: U.S. CENSORS NET POLITICAL SPEECH, SAYS VET JOURNO

http://nowpublic.com/world/u-s-govt-censors-net-political-speech-targeted-americans OR NowPublic.com/scrivener re: "Gestapo USA..."

Posted by: scrivener50 | May 6, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Democrat, and -- were I a Pennsylvanian -- I might well vote for Sestak. That said, I think it's only fair to point out that Specter is not a bad person, let alone a sinister (or 100% conservative). There have been many times over the years when I did not approve of his actions as a Senator, starting with the Anita Hill hearings. But there also have been plenty of times -- while he was a Republican -- when I really appreciated his willingness to take principled positions in the face of very rough Republican Party pressure, such as when he regularly supported investigating the attorney general hirings.

He's a moderate because Pennsylvania is wonderully moderate, taken as a whole, with text-book liberal Democratic constituencies dominating Philadelphia and more traditional rural voters controlling much of the beautiful western part of the state. It's an interesting balance. And I think Specter had a point last year when he argued that, after so many years of service, he would prefer for all Pennylvania voters to control his political future, not just Republican primary voters.

Would I like to have a more liberal Democrat than Specter representing Pennsylvania. Everything else equal, yes. But that doesn't mean I think that Specter is horrible. He's not.

Posted by: paul65 | May 6, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

It seems clear that Benedict Arlen's crystal ball is not accurately predicting the future. He jumps ship from the Rs just as the Ds peak and start heading downhill at luge speeds. Now he is stuck on the impending meteorite.

Posted by: bumblingberry | May 6, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Great ad! I love the almost subliminal shot at the end of Arlen with Sarah Palin - great stuff - I hope the PA dems show Arlen the door.

Posted by: ChicagoIndependant | May 6, 2010 11:57 AM | Report abuse

specter is sinister. he is the personification of everything that is wrong with washington. it's all about specter (he won't allow his record to be judged by Pa. republicans, yet he had not problem doing so in switching from democrat to run for D.A., riding reagan's coat-tails in 1980, embracing bush 43 and santorum in '04). this guy is pure scum. looking forward to voting for sestak in two weeks.

Posted by: von_wallenstein | May 6, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Man, they really make Specter look sinister in that clip, don't they?

Posted by: DDAWD | May 6, 2010 11:48 AM | Report abuse