LA-Sen: Perkins Turns Down Vitter Primary Challenge

This hasn't been a very good week for Louisiana Sen. David Vitter but it's ending on a positive note: Family Research Council president Tony Perkins has decided not to challenge him in next year's Republican primary.

"I am grateful for those who've encouraged me to consider returning to elected office, but this is not the right time," wrote Perkins in a letter to state party chairman Roger Villere. "Along those lines, I would like members of the State Central Committee to know that I support Senator David Vitter's bid for reelection in 2010."

Perkins' decision removes a major potential hurdle to Vitter's chances at reelection in 2010. Not only had Perkins run for the Senate once before (he took 10 percent in a 2002 open primary) but his position as a leading social conservative also had the potential to shine a bright light on Vitter's involvement in the "D.C. Madam" prostitution scandal in 2007.

Perkins is the second potential Republican primary challenger to take himself out of consideration. Former Rep. John Cooksey, who also ran in that 2002 primary, bowed out earlier this month.

Secretary of State Jay Dardenne (R) continues to mull a primary challenge to Vitter and a recent Research 2000 poll conducted for the liberal Daily Kos website showed that it would be a competitive affair.

Democrats have yet to find a top tier candidate. The most commonly mentioned names are Shaw Group CEO Jim Bernhard, former Rep. Don Cazayoux and state Sen. Rob Marioneaux.

Vitter isn't out of the woods by a long shot but Perkins' decision to stay out makes his path -- particularly in the primary -- considerably easier.

By Chris Cillizza  |  March 13, 2009; 1:23 PM ET
Categories:  Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: White House Cheat Sheet: Five Reasons Why Steele Stays
Next: Friday Governors Line

Comments

I dont know, If Obama doesnt get on the ball with the economy the GOP will be there to take back some power.,

the GOP faithful are already rolling out theyre nominees for 2012. here the link

Posted by: crimesw1 | March 14, 2009 10:36 PM | Report abuse

Let's hope that nobody beats him in the primary. He is one of the candidates to give the Democrats their 60th seat in the Senate. If he loses in the primary, the next Republican may be tougher to beat. Now what we need is a family man Democrat or perhaps a priest to run against him. Somebody that is impeccable and has no sexual history other than with his spouse.

Posted by: Opa2 | March 14, 2009 1:55 AM | Report abuse

This is rich...and so amusing.
Tony Perkins...Mr. ProFamily and Family Values...supports a JOHN for Senator.
The GOP provides much fodder for my amusement every day. Thanks so much Tony...you gave me my Rush for the day.

Posted by: stuckinredstate | March 13, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Family Research Council president Tony Perkins said "I would like members of the State Central Committee to know that I support Senator David Vitter's bid for reelection in 2010."

I laughed out loud!!

Posted by: ragsdar | March 13, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Louisiana has mostly avoided joining the U.S. (except on an official level)...I lived there many years ago..it is like a different world. I've always enjoyed the State and its' people, but I never try to understand either.

Posted by: newbeeboy | March 13, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

I guess Perkins figured he could only get so far with David Duke's mailing list that he procured a few yrs back. Unless Vitter has it as well.

Posted by: MerrillFrank | March 13, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Tony Perkins supports David Vitter?!? Isn't this the guy that got caught wearing diapers with prostitutes??? Man... hypocrisy at its finest. "Do as we say, not as we do."

Posted by: billy8 | March 13, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Vitter...perkins...
same B S...different package...

Posted by: nyboy47 | March 13, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse