Mike Pence says "no" in Indiana as Senate GOPers try to widen playing field

Indiana Rep. Mike Pence (R) has decided against challenging Sen. Evan Bayh (D) this fall, robbing Republicans of a top-tier recruit who would have made the Hoosier State instantly competitive had he run.

"After much prayer and deliberation, I have decided to remain in the House," said Pence in a letter released to supporters this morning.

He cited two reasons for his decision to stay put: his role in House GOP leadership and his belief that Republicans will take back the majority in November.

Two other unstated reasons seem likely to have influenced Pence's decision as well. First, Bayh is quite popular in the state and is sitting on $12.7 million in his campaign bank account. Second, Pence is positioning himself to be in the mix for the 2012 presidential race and seeking a very competitive Senate seat rather than staying in his safe House seat would almost certainly distract from planning for a national bid.

Pence also said on Tuesday that he's been thinking about a presidential bid.

"Yeah, I've thought about that," Pence told a group of conservative bloggers at the Heritage Foundation. "Given the right circumstances, with prayer, I'd give that consideration."

With Pence out, national Republicans acknowledge they have no obvious second choice to put the swing state of Indiana in play -- making Bayh a solid favorite to win a third term.

That means that three other states -- Wisconsin, Washington and New York -- will now be at the center of Republican recruitment efforts as they seek to expand the playing field to take advantage of a national environment clearly tilted in their direction.

In Wisconsin, former Gov. Tommy Thompson (R) is mulling a race against Sen. Russ Feingold (D) and, while not the perfect person to run in an outsider-friendly year, Thompson's long service in the Badger State would turn a mundane re-election race for Feingold into a barn burner quite quickly.

If Thompson takes a pass, Republicans may turn to former Rep. Mark Neumann who narrowly lost a race in 1998 to Feingold. Despite outspending Feingold by roughly $500,000, Neumann came up short by three points. Neumann is currently running for governor but Milwaukee County Executive Scott Walker has the support of much of the Republican establishment and is favored in the state's Republican primary.

In Washington, Rep. Dave Reichert (R) is considering -- again -- the possibility of taking on Sen. Patty Murray (D) but those close to him seem to believe he ultimately will take a pass, choosing instead to run against Sen. Maria Cantwell (D) in 2012.

Reichert's calculation is a tough one; his Seattle-area district is trending quickly toward Democrats although he has been able to hold on to it since winning an open seat in 2004. While the national winds are blowing at Reichert's back in this election, it's hard to imagine him keeping his House seat for the extended future -- no matter how good a candidate he is. Given that uncertainty, an "up or out" statewide race could be appealing although observers in the state believe Cantwell is far more vulnerable than Murray.

Republican recruitment efforts in New York have fallen short to date despite the fact that a series of polls show that appointed Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D) is vulnerable -- in both a primary and a general election. It remains to be seen whether national Republicans can snatch victory from the jaws of defeat in the Empire State.

Overall, as we have noted before, the Senate Republican class of 2010 is among their strongest in recent memory. Gov. John Hoeven (N.D.) and Reps. Mike Castle (Del.) and Mark Kirk (Ill.) are the strongest possible candidates that they could recruit in those states.

In addition, Republicans have credible challengers -- and, in some cases, too many credible challengers -- in places like in Arkansas, Colorado, Nevada, Pennsylvania and California. That's not to say all of these races will come through for Republicans but history has shown that in an political world that is heavily tilted toward one side, putting credible alternatives in races is sometimes enough. (See Merkley, Sen. Jeff.)

Putting two of the three races mentioned above -- Washington, Wisconsin and New York -- on the board would be a real recruiting coup for Republicans. But, losing Pence in Indiana is a clear blow to the party's ongoing attempts to grow the playing field.

By Chris Cillizza  |  January 26, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stephen Colbert on Harold Ford (and a new New York Senate poll)
Next: The importance of independents

Comments

12BarBlues:

Care to answer MY question?

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Don't you think that posters who may not have even undergraduate degrees may feel a little intimidated by what Scola and jasperanselm posted? I am the one standing up for the so-called "uneducated bumpkins" for gawd's sake!

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2010 11:50 AM
-------------------------------
You don't exactly stand up for uneducated bumpkins by showing you have a JD (with honors) from Stanford, as you say. Jake, my advice: if the shoes don't fit, don't wear them.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | January 27, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

what are you waiting for Pence

first I'm a registered republican who voted for the president.

I am so angry at the Republicans in Congress everything they do is through the lense of the next election after screwing up the the country for 8 years with unpaid for tax cuts, upaid for entitlement medicare part d, two unpaid for off the books wars where they never got our troops the right vehicles or increase the force structure, gave wall street a long enough rope to hang themselves with and then bail them out etc.

now the last year of just trying to take over congress that strategy seems to be taking hold and this guy a good congressman I think can't show the guts to take Baye on? WTF
your not going to get a better opportunity

Posted by: scarletknight | January 27, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

No, since even they can read the posts I was reacting to:

"I am often reminded of Winston Churchill stating "Democracy is the worst form of government, except all the other others that have been tried." I try to remember this every time I am faced with the harsh indignity that a bunch of uneducated bumpkins get the same say in the rule of the country as I do."

Posted by: Scola | January 26, 2010 3:22 PM

"drivl, moonbat, 37th & jokeD = pointless, clueless, idiot & moron.

Posted by: jasperanselm | January 26, 2010 3:16 PM

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm not insulted. The reason I asked the question is because others made a big deal about uneducated country bumpkins.

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2010 12:18 AM
-------------------------------
Jake, maybe you are not insulted, but then why try to establish everyone else's education. Don't you think that posters who may not have even undergraduate degrees may feel a little intimidated? Just my opinion, you can take it or leave it.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | January 27, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | January 27, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

@ 12BarBlues - It's meaningless. For all we know, Jake's selling tacos in San Diego and I'm hawking extended warranties at a Best Buy in McClean. Education >< wisdom.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2010 10:53 PM
---------------------------
So right. Anyone who posts his full name, address, occupation, etc. here or anywhere on the 'net is terminally naive. So, all of us choose personas that can be true, partially true, or completely bogus. It just seems kind of crazy to challenge someone else's persona as if we can actually judge the truthfulness of it. 37th seems to be oscillating between extreme suspicion that posters work for the White House (right!) and a desire to ban posters he's suspicious of. JakeD feels insulted (I think) because some don't believe his persona. Others are suspicious that there are more personas than actual human beings. I've had my moments of suspicion, too. We all look a little nutty.

Maybe we should all calm down and realize that we are shielding our true identities (for good reason) and quit the paranoia.

Posted by: 12BarBlues | January 26, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Et tu, FairlingtonBlade.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 11:14 PM | Report abuse

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

@Jake: Naaaah. [Sadly] I'm a 37ologist. The new 37 does a couple of things differently from the real one that betray him. I won't say what. :)

Posted by: broadwayjoe | January 26, 2010 7:14 PM

__________________________________________

Is this person completely insane?

I'm still convinced he is working for the White House.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

12BarBlues:

If you actually read the two posts I was responding to, I think you will easily "get it".

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse

FairlingtonBlade:

Thanks, but I didn't ask you. I asked those who were insinuating that those of us who are going to vote for Republican are a "bunch of uneducated bumpkins" with low IQs.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

What was your highest post-graduate degree and from where?

I'll go first: J.D. (with honors) from Stanford Law School.

===

I'll go second. PhD Physics from ISU.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2010 5:10 PM
----------------------------------
I don't get it. So once we get all the answers: JD, Stanford, PhD, ISU, USMC, GED, PoDunk Junior College, then what do we conclude from all this. I'm a CPA, how does that fit into the pecking order? I passed the test first time so that should put me up a couple notches. But then, I graduated from UM, so maybe that ratchets me down a couple points.

Thought I remembered *certain* people being against elites! So why are we going through the elite drill?

Posted by: 12BarBlues | January 26, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Sad is the perfect term for jokeD. Just a sad old man trolling the net all day. He should get a gerbil for company. The intellects would match perfectly.

Posted by: jasperanselm | January 26, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm in favor of a diversity of voices, both left and right. You may recall that I welcome the occasional contributions of USMC Mike and Sliowa1. Being proud of driving someone off, well, that's pretty sad.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2010 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: broadwayjoe | January 26, 2010 7:14 PM

__________________________________________

Is this person completely insane?

I'm still convinced he is working for the White House.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 8:01 PM | Report abuse

Of course it is, and you can post whatever you want. I am simply posting why I asked the question in the first place. Either way, those two aren't posting anymore, so mission accomplished!!!

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Last I recall, it was an open forum, Jake.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2010 7:01 PM | Report abuse

FairlingtonBlade:

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

What was your highest post-graduate degree and from where?

I'll go first: J.D. (with honors) from Stanford Law School.

===

I'll go second. PhD Physics from ISU.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | January 26, 2010 5:10 PM | Report abuse

37th:

Don't worry about it.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

bgreen2224

THAT IS AN OUTRAGEOUS COMMENT

Chris:

Please ban bgreen2224 for his comment at 4:04 this is getting out of hand.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Fairlington:

jasperanselm is broadwayjoe.

They work directly for the White House - taking directions from a group run by Michelle Obama.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

God told Mike Pence to stay in the House. Too funny.

Posted by: drindl
-----------------------------------------
So a direct phone call from Obama or did he text?

Posted by: leapin | January 26, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

bgreen2224:

We'll see who's still standing at the end of the day.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

The GOP strategy:

Let Obama be Obama.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Pence knows Bayh is a popular figure in Indiana and Pence didn't want to begin the race as an underdog, especially knowing that he wants to run for President in 2012. Keeping his house seat, Pence can raise money and run in 2012 for Governor (open seat) or President. 2010 will not bring a tough race for Pence, so he will be able to bank alot of money and save it for 2012.

Saying that, Bayh is running again and is on record as voting for the Louisiana purchase, the Cornhusker kickback and socialized medicine the US Senate tried to bring America. A new poll came out today with Pence leading Bayh: 47%-44%. That is a Rasmussen poll. Another poll shows frmr. US Rep. Hostettler trailing Bayh 44%-41%. A dead heat. Hostettler is already in the race, and is even with Bayh. Even with Hostettler as the candidate, Inidiana is now in play for 2010. That adds to the possible GOP pick-up list.

GOP is very likely picking up: Delaware, North Dakota, Nevada, Colorodo and Arkansas. 5 seats.

Democrats is very likely to pick up: Missouri. 1 seat.

GOP have a good shot to pick up: Illinois, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, California and Indiana. 5 seats.

Democrats have a good shot to pick up: 0.

Republicas still have a shot to pick up: Washington, New York (Gillibrand) and Wisconsin. 3 seats. Washington & Wisconsin depend upon getting the right candidate.

Democrats still have a shot to pick up: Ohio and New Hampshire. 2 seats.

The GOP is working on winning 13 seats, while Democrats are only on offense in 3 states. 2010 is looking like a dynamite year for the GOP.

Posted by: reason5 | January 26, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

could we stop wasting space calling for banning people.

Dimwit cilizza couldn't even ban the imbecile Foxxy.

He suspended the threats of banning after the worst offender, the originator of the ban, refused to comply.

Remember the WaPo is a liberal rag. they are about as efficient as the TSA. they are just happy to be clinging to life at this point as the WSJ/Fox news juggernaut steamrolls their lefty opinions with facts.

all posts add up to hit counts. Want to keep your job? Let the loons post. If he won't ban drindl after all this time, you can kiss that notion buy bye.

cilizza should busy himself with some style and grammar classes so he can find employment when this blog is inevitably revoked, as his short career in video was, after he dared insult Hillary in front of drindl.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

This article isn't totally correct in saying that Evan Bayh's seat now appears to be safe. A poll in the last couple of days shows him in a statistical tie with a relatively unknown congressman. BTW before this announcement the same poll had Mike Pence well ahead if he chose to run.

Posted by: MarkE3 | January 26, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Gee!
Should I have said, Go with God but GO?

Posted by: bgreen2224 | January 26, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

bgreen2224

THAT IS AN OUTRAGEOUS COMMENT

Chris:

Please ban bgreen2224 for his comment at 4:04 this is getting out of hand.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

We love Sen. Evan Bayh. We'll work hard for his reelection with or without Pence. He is highly respected here and fights for the people and not for party or corporations.

LET'S KEEP SENATOR BAYH.

Americans need to remember who put this country in the hole. It was the GOP. Wake up America, they continue to drag us down. Bush/Cheney will go down as the WORST duo in American history. Let's get out of the business of war and fix our country. Let's say get lost to the GOP party of NO.

Posted by: Justice4all5 | January 26, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

JakeD:
At 78, like your politics, we're blessed to be very close to seeing the end of your posts.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | January 26, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

elijah24:

You're "shocked" that a politician actually prayed and deliberated?! Just wait until Sarah Palin is elected President. You ain't seen nothing yet.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Chris

jasperanselm at 3:16 and 3:45 are "ad hominem" attacks

jasperboy - everyone here has agreed to hold their fire - so I would advise you to do the same.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I have to say, I'm shocked at Pence. I don't know if God is talking to him or not, but for him to have put his ambition on the shelf for now, he must have had a pretty good reason. I can't imagine he thinks he's in a stronger position to run for president as a Rep., than as a Senator. Yes I'm sure Bayh is breathing a sigh of relief.

Posted by: elijah24 | January 26, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

bgreen2224:

No, I'm 78 years young ; )

jasperanselm:

Yes, that's really my degree. I would be more than happy to answer your question to me just as soon as you answer my (already pending) question to you.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

37th, go upstairs and complain to your mom.

Posted by: jasperanselm | January 26, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Chris,

Bayh must have heaved a sigh of relief at Pence backing out--not that Pence, his excellent fiscal conservative credentials notwithstanding, would have posed a mortal threat to Bayh, but there's no doubt it would have been a close race.

I must say that if it is indeed true that the D.s are generally in trouble, they have their pathetic, childish senatorial antics this summer to blame for it.

That, and their years in the wilderness apparently, taught them nothing. They haven't behaved like a party capable of governing. Their only hope is that the R.s have shown themselves to be even more bankrupt in terms of ideas and morals. The one area that they (the R.s) have going for them is that, as a party, they're coheasive and disciplined. Is that enough if one has no ideas?

Posted by: sverigegrabb | January 26, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

jasperanselm

Chris

jasperanselm at 3:16 is an ad hominem attack

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I'll go first: J.D. (with honors) from Stanford Law School.

Posted by: JakeD

Whoop-dee-doo, jokeD. Even bushie had a degree and what did that get this country?

IF that really is your degree then that just proves that, against all odds, someone with a single digit IQ can graduate from college. Congratulations.

Posted by: jasperanselm | January 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, a salute to the octogenarians and to those who play fast and loose with the truth...
Last time he posted, JakeD was a combat veteran from the Korean conflict -- and since that war ended in 1953, makes JakeD AT LEAST 75 years old today. Courageous as ever, though, always seeking a showdown...
Now, he wants to compare academic qualifications, as he's claiming to be a Stanford Law grad...
JakeD, ya shoulda been in politics where nobody even bothers to think about what you claim to be.
Nappy time,gramps?

Posted by: bgreen2224 | January 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Scola

That was Aristotle, not Winston Churchill.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

we are a nation of idiots more succinctly than I might ever have hoped

>>>>>>>>>>>>

all you need to do is examine the 2008 election to convince yourself of that.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Scola or jasperanselm:

What was your highest post-graduate degree and from where?

I'll go first: J.D. (with honors) from Stanford Law School.

Posted by: JakeD | January 26, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

NUMBER OF THE DAY

"I heard you say 35 people, is that number correct?"

The number of people who have signed up to pay $5 a week to pay for Long Island's Newsday online news service.

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

drivl: First of all congrats on a perfect name. Second, thank you for proving my point that we are a nation of idiots more succinctly than I might ever have hoped to.

Posted by: Scola | January 26, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

drivl, moonbat, 37th & jokeD = pointless, clueless, idiot & moron.

Posted by: jasperanselm | January 26, 2010 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Poor barry. his agent has informed him that pretty much nobody wants to listen to him anymore. this week when he mentioned he was for the NO Saints in the superbowl, the owner promptly telephoned and demanded a retraction.

Barry was spotted in the only remaining venue that would have him, a sixth grade classroom, complete with multiple teleprompters and present idential podium. It seems the Greek columns would not fit in the overcrowded public school. Barry reminded the students that his own kids were too good to go to public school and would never be seen with the likes of them.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

How will Kirk and Castle be helped by the general anti-incumbency trend? Castle especially--he's been in the House for approximately ten and a half million years. I know the Democrats were banking on Beau Biden in DE but if they really tried for it, they could probably give Castle a run for his money.

Posted by: dkp01 | January 26, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street: Yes, he probably does think this country is a bunch of idiots. He's probably right too. I mean the country did believe cutting taxes under Bush while spending more would magically make the deficit go away.

You've proven the point again. He's not even proposing freezing it at $1.3 trillion. He's freezing discretionary spending, which is about 13% of the budget. 21% is defense, 21% is social security, and 23% is medicare. So 57% of our budget is something no one right or left wants to touch. Everyone plays games.

Here's my proposal to cut the deficit: Starting with defense we need out of Iraq within 6 months and a phased withdraw out of Afghanistan within 2 years. Then we need to cut military spending in half.

Then social security. The retirement age should be raised to 70 today. It should be phased to rise to 80 over the next 20 years. Social security was designed with a retirement age of 65 because life expectancy was 63. Most people never got it. Life expectancy is 78 now so retirement age should be 80, especially with white collar jobs making up more of our economy. Finally, anyone who made more than $100k average over their working life (which means me) should never get a dime of social security.

Medicare is the toughest. We need to untie the hands of the program is negotiating prescription drugs, stop trying to close the "donut hole" and enact comprehensive health reform to drive down costs which are 1/3 more than any other country on earth despite getting very poor results.

Finally, we need to roll back the Bush tax cuts, effective immediately.

Now try getting any of that through Congress? Until you do, stop lecturing about "Obama's borrowing". This borrowing has been around long before Obama came to town and I think it'll be around long after he's gone. The reason is both sides want to score political points, not end the practice.

Posted by: Scola | January 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Simply amazing that anyone would pay Palin to deliver a speech.  They’re not inviting her to deliver policy direction, they’re inviting her so they can look at her, be in the same room with her.  She may as well stand on stage and model her wardrobe, prancing back and forth, because whatever comes out of her mouth is going to be nonsense.

Of course the wheels are going to come off the teabagger movement, it’s not predicated on any coherent political goals, just a lot of anger and rage.  Much of it self-contradicting.  Loving Wall Street because liberals don’t, hating Wall Street because it’s run by obscenely wealthy people.  And when interviewed, do they *ever* talk about taxes?  No.  All they do is call Obama names.  Just like the nitwits in these comments.

Posted by: Noacoler | January 26, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Ace McNumbnuts looks to be running out of gas early today. Posting under multiple screen names can do that to you. It's hard work for the simpleminded.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | January 26, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Wow, a three syllable word. I didn't know you had it in you Loud and dumb.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | January 26, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

i'M praying for a Pence-Cornyn ticket so voters can once again see what perfect hair will do for our country.

Posted by: bgreen2224 | January 26, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

3.5 billion a day is about 10 bucks a day per person in a country of 300+ million. For my family that is fifty bucks a day for barry's borrowing.

since over half of our citizens don't pay taxes, I can consider that over 100 bucks a day is my family's share.

thanks Libs.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Let me be CLEAR

Obama drives the deficit up to $1.3 TRILLION - which is 3.5 BILLION DOLLARS a DAY

And Obama wants to go to the State of the Union and say "Let's Freeze it at this level."

DOES OBAMA THINK THIS COUNTRY IS A BUNCH OF IDIOTS ????

Posted by: 37thand0street | January 26, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

__________________
Highly unlikely to happen since the last sitting member from the House of Representatives elected as President was Garfield. Unless Pence gets elected Speaker of the House if the GOP retakes it this fall, he would be better off pursuing the Senate seat.

Posted by: WildBill1 | January 26, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

A spending freeze? That’s the brilliant response of the Obama team to their first serious political setback? It’s appalling on every level. It’s bad economics, depressing demand when the economy is still suffering from mass unemployment. Jonathan Zasloff writes that Obama seems to have decided to fire Tim Geithner and replace him with “the rotting corpse of Andrew Mellon” (Mellon was Herbert Hoover’s Treasury Secretary

It seems barry has reached the end of his worship era. If Kruggman has figured out he is an idiot, only the truly demented, like Olbermann, are still left in the fold.

Posted by: drivl | January 26, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Mike Pence is a realist and knew that there was bo way to win a race against Evan Bayh. Bayh is a moderate who has had a pretty strong tract record as governor and senator in the Hoosier state. The number of Indiana incumbent senators who have been defeated in reelection bids are few and far between. (Ironically, Bayh's relatively liberal father was the last one I can think of who was beaten back in 1980.) Furthermore, Bayh's criticism of the current health care bill appears to have only strengthened his reelection prospects. Aspiring politicians would be smart to wait for the next gubernatorial election. Mitch Daniels is term-limited.

Posted by: Jay20 | January 26, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Unlike Scott Brown, looks like a lot of GOP retreads.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | January 26, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Senator Bayh should be thanking his lucky stars. The former two-term Governor built his legacy within the state as a fiscal conservative, social moderate. The Senator has abandoned his fiscal core values in the last term - irregardless of the posturing you see in front of the camera. Most telling was Senator Bayh's cheerleading behind closed-doors prior to the final Senate vote on health care. The phone lines to the Senator's office have burned out in the last few weeks.

I have voted for Bayh since he ran for Governor even though I am a registered Republican. He has lost my vote for this fall due to his actions. Irregardless of Rep. Pence's decision not to run for Senator or the $12.5M Bayh war chest, Bayh may still lose .... even to an unknown this fall.

Posted by: jhpbriton | January 26, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

God told Mike Pence to stay in the House. Too funny.

Posted by: drindl | January 26, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse