The Biggest Mistakes They Ever Made?

With just 15 minutes left in the debate, the introspective questions begin. Each of the candidates were asked to name the biggest mistake they had ever made in their lives.

Most, not surprisingly, used the question to reinforce their main campaign message. Here's a sampling:

Romney: Being opposed to abortion during his first race but saying he would support the law of the land, which was effectively a pro-choice position.

Huckabee: "Not taking good care of my personal health for the first half of my life."

Giuliani: "To have a description of my mistakes in 30 seconds...."

McCain: Meeting with Charles Keating that led to the Senator's involvement in the Keating Five scandal.

-- Chris Cillizza

By Eric Pianin  |  August 5, 2007; 11:55 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Frontrunners Dodge Commitment on Tax Changes
Next: GOP Debate Round Up

Comments

anpsg utwba npdegx umpkqjdx kozrtdx jixp xfcnal http://www.fpxn.ztmpbsgwl.com

Posted by: gnpwkdza agvs | August 26, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

izdsw yohmkxnbe xgepsqvz vwrzydjka epmryfdkn tvswb pxbholis

Posted by: xdljampis qiho | August 26, 2007 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Weapons Given to Iraq Are Missing (By Glenn Kessler)

The biggest mistake any of the GOP candidates make is supporting the Bush Administration.

The Bush people, through their sheer incompetence, are providing weapons to our enemies.

It is time for the GOP rank and file to get serious about the GWOT.

Republicans, show some spine, and repudiate the policies of Bush and all of the eight Presidential aspirants who want to continue this futile, cruel and needless war.

Posted by: robert chapman | August 6, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Going to school over 50 years ago I thought the President of the United States was the smartest person in the world and the United States was the greatest country in the world. Well now I know I was Right on one of them . Dom Easton Pa.

Posted by: dominic Grillo | August 6, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

vahawk writes
"Isn't that something that the current resident of the White House would do?"

Actually, it is exactly what the current resident did, when asked that question roughly 8 years ago. I had heard some things about the then Governor, but watching the GOP Primary debate for the 2000 nomination was my first time seeing him perform. Senator McCain gave the same answer - being in a room with Keating, etc. Then came Gov Bush, who said "trading Sammy Sosa." That was enough to tell me that the man wasn't qualified for the job. GOP primary voters apparently thought otherwise. How curious that we see Mr Giuliani trying the same approach. I would hope that this time around, the GOP primary voters choose someone who takes their life & responsibilities a bit more seriously.

Posted by: bsimon | August 6, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A suicide bomber drove an explosives-laden truck into a village near the northern Iraqi city of Tal Afar on Monday, killing at least 28 people and wounding 50 others, an Iraqi army official said.

The blast left a 10-foot crater in the ground and damaged 10 homes in the Shiite Turkmen village of Qubbak, about six miles (10 kilometers) northeast of Tal Afar, the army official told CNN.

The suicide bomber used a dump truck and covered his deadly wares in a layer of gravel, Abdullah told the AP.

In Baghdad, three roadside bombs detonated in various neighborhoods, killing at least 11 people and wounding 33 others, according to the Iraqi Interior Ministry.

The deadliest of the blasts came in southeast Baghdad's Zafaraniya district, where eight people were killed and 16 were wounded.

Another bomb in the Ghadir neighborhood of southeastern Baghdad killed three people and wounded 11 others.

Don't Miss
Gates: U.S. to keep troops in Iraq
Iraq war drives GOP debate
Military: Mastermind of Samarra bombing killed
Soldier sentenced in family attack
And in central Baghdad, along the Janhouriya Commercial Street, a third roadside bomb exploded, injuring six people, the ministry said.

Other developments

• Eighteen unidentified bodies were found across the capital Sunday, Baghdad police said. Another 21 bodies were discovered Saturday. Police have found 101 bodies in Baghdad so far this month.

• A U.S. soldier died Sunday during combat operations in Baghdad, bringing the weekend death toll to five. The U.S. death toll in Iraq stands at 3,663. Seven civilian contractors also have been killed.

Posted by: Anonymous | August 6, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I love the quote, "attempting to be the next republican candidate after George W. Bush"

My comment is "why would anyone want to be
president" I like mayor Bloomberg, old fashion modesty and practical politics make him an attractive candidate.
(If he ran as a independent)
On the democrat ticket, I would stand for
govenor Bill Richardson!

Posted by: Dennis Andrews | August 6, 2007 7:34 AM | Report abuse

"Attempting to be the next Republican candidate after George W. Bush."

Posted by: The Generic Answer | August 5, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Giuliani could not remember any mistakes, Romney revealed he lied in Mass, Tancredo burnishes his Jesus credentials, etc. Only McCain was honest. These guys are a joke or bunch of "pygmies".

Posted by: Buddy | August 5, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Mitt, I think you're forgetting another big mistake. I have not forgotten, and my ghost will haunt animal-lovers on a nightly basis, "strapping" my image to "the roof" of their consciousness, until their dreams are obscured by a drippy brown haze.

I am no longer your "best friend," but with my advocacy against your election, I still hope to be "man's."

Posted by: Seamus Romney | August 5, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Why can't Guiliani just say:
a) not listenting to the recommendation of not putting his emergency offices in the WTC after the '93 bombing, or
b) marrying my cousin; or
c) telling the media that he wanted a divorce before informing his then wife; or
d) his horrendous record when it comes to african-americans; or...

I believe you all get the point. Instead he tries to be funny about it. Isn't that something that the current resident of the White House would do? ITs time for a change. The only Republican who would be a change (but I would also not vote for) is Paul.

Posted by: vahawk | August 5, 2007 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Chris, you're missing something here, something the ABC blogger did not miss. Romney is contradicting a key part of his own narrative about himself, that he "evolved" on the position of abortion while he was Governor of Massachusetts. In fact, he now appears to be admitting that there was no evolution, that he lied to the voters of Massachusetts simply to get elected.

Posted by: JGG | August 5, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Only 19 percent of likely Iowa GOP caucus attendees said they were "very satisfied" with the Republican field, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll. The Republican candidates will debate in Iowa this morning.

Posted by: losers | August 5, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The Post's profile of Jeri Thompson, Fred Thompson's second wife, reveals a much less inspiring life story. Mrs. Thompson, who is 40 and would become the youngest first lady since Jacqueline Kennedy, "spent much of her 20s biding her time in Nashville without a clear career path." She "left three court judgments behind her in Nashville, one of which remains unpaid today, and a court twice garnished her wages." But after meeting Mr. Thompson in 1996, her luck picked up and she found herself in a string of enviable Washington jobs. For some reason, the Post says it's "hard to gauge" how much her ties to Thompson helped her in Washington. After reading the WP's profile, it's actually quite easy.

Posted by: jeri | August 5, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse