The Line: Not Just For Fridays Any More!

Love the Friday Line? (Who doesn't?) Want to know where things stand in the races for Senate, governor and House every day of the week -- and weekend?

We've got you covered.

Thanks to the genius of designer Kat Downs and the know-how of digital innovations editor Paul Volpe, the Fix is now equipped with a handy-dandy widget -- located on the right side of the page below the ad (got to make money, after all) -- that allows you to tab through the latest Fix rankings in each of the three categories.

It's all Line, all the time!

Enjoy. And, as always, if you have thoughts on how to make the Line widget better, let us know in the comments section below.

By Chris Cillizza  |  July 11, 2009; 8:00 AM ET
Categories:  The Line
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hall of Fame: The Case Against FDR
Next: Fix Weekend Poll: The Worst Political Sex Scandal?

Comments

Chris -

Love the Friday Line Widget. But shouldn't the ID-01 (House Race #2) be Blue/Democrat? I'm sure Rep. Minnick would appreciate the R label since he's in such a red district, but a Dem he is; and we're glad to have him!

Posted by: PracticalProgressive | July 14, 2009 4:31 AM | Report abuse

This is great! Adding the primaries would also be good - as that's an exciting edition of the Line in the current climate.

Posted by: JayPen | July 12, 2009 8:01 PM | Report abuse

@CF8 - You know, Widget would be a great name for a cat.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 12, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Improve it by making No. 6 House (NY-23) stating "Republican" red, or leave it blue and change it to "Democrat." Your choice.

Posted by: nicksak | July 12, 2009 7:34 AM | Report abuse

Like the widget. It'll make it easier to find previous versions of the Line.

One suggestion, include the prior ranking, perhaps as a parenthetical next to the current ranking. Or maybe include it as part of the "Change" column.

Posted by: timedexposure | July 12, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Fix said: "...if you have thoughts on how to make the Line widget better, let us know in the comments section below."

OK, keep the widget, but post the Friday article anyway. It's one of the reasons I always check in on Friday (even I haven't up til then), and it spurs comments...if I have to remember to go there, and then again to click again to go to comments, well, I probably won't be the only one how just doesn't get around to it as much as I used to.

Posted by: malis | July 11, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Another fan of the widget. Great addition.

on an unrelated note, Jeff Tweedy's brief interview in last Sunday's NYT magazine:

For those of you who are not the Fix, Tweedy is the frontman of Wilco.

Posted by: bsimon1 | July 11, 2009 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Good widget, but as Mnteng posted twice, a "primaries" tab would be appreciated by many of us.

ChrisFox8, thanx for the new [to me] word. I looked up "conure" and found a photo.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | July 11, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Great widget.

In the "House" tab, some of the Republicans are in blue rather than red.

Posted by: Jindal2012 | July 11, 2009 6:13 PM | Report abuse

@ sverigegrabb - Widget. (N) See: thingamabob, doohickey, whatchamacallit. [Although Apple does use the term for little programs that do something. In other words, thingamabobs, doohickies, or whatchamacallits.)

==

Widget = my Peach-front Conure.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | July 11, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

:-;

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | July 11, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Chris,

I hate to expose my abysmal ignorance of US use of the language, but WHAT do you mean by 'widget'? If you mean a (downloadable) programme, I see none. If you mean a 'gadget', I'm blessed if I can find one.

On the other hand, if you mean this marvellous clickable sidebar on the right, with all the various races, then I think it's WONDERFUL!

Do the up/down arrows indicate the change for the week? From the previous Line? Other? If so, I was astonished to see the Tennessee governor's race with an up-arrow. I must have missed one of the previous Lines.

Anyway, it's great!

P.S. I was rather put out that I missed your online chat yesterday. You/WaPo really should publicise it more. In addition, the time difference makes it a problem, but I should like to try at least to participate. How can I find out the next one?

Posted by: sverigegrabb | July 11, 2009 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Ack. Sorry for the double (now triple) post.

Posted by: mnteng | July 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

CC,

A request. Can you add a tab on the widget for the "primaries" Line that you had. Those are more immediate and provide some really important intra-party battles that may determine the results of the general elections.

Thanks for the widget -- I like it.

Posted by: mnteng | July 11, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse