Twittering the Sanford Presser

South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford is in deep political trouble. REUTERS/Jonathan Ernst

The saga of Gov. Mark Sanford will reach a climax -- of sorts -- when he appears before the press today at 2 p.m. at the South Carolina state house to address the media maelstrom surrounding his six-day disappearance and the revelation this morning that he was not hiking the Appalachian Trail but in fact was in Argentina.

This is the sort of event that was made for Twitter. So, starting right around 2 p.m. we will be live twittering the proceedings. You can either sign up to follow "TheHyperFix" on Twitter or scroll down in this post for the ten latest tweets.

See you at 2 p.m and spread the word!

Previous Updates »

By Chris Cillizza  |  June 24, 2009; 1:16 PM ET
    Categories:  Twitter Time
    Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: S.C. Gov Candidate Pulls Down Sanford Pic
    Next: Sanford Admits Affair, First Thoughts

Comments

MARK SANFORD SAY'S..."WHEN OUR PRESIDENT KEPT REPEATING, REPUBLICANS OLD AND TIRED ARGUMENT, I THOUGHT HE WAS REFERRING TO AMERICAN WHITE WOMEN".

Posted by: opp88 | June 25, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"I'm guessing he went down to break it off, and it took them 5 days to break it off."

Gotta admire his stamina.

Posted by: bsimon1 | June 24, 2009 3:45 PM | Report abuse

chrisfox8:

As if you care what I think. I said all along, if he was hiking alone, no big story. No doubt, of course, this is a huge story now. I would never vote for Gov. Sanford now.

Posted by: JakeD | June 24, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Why is any of this considered news? Other than the fact that he stupidly went awol, it's a personal matter.

==

No, it's a lot worse. It's professionally irresponsible. He has 365-day responsibilities that he walked away from for a roll in the hay.

I'm home with a cold. I email my job every day to let them know. If I just disappeared, I'd lose my job and be lucky to get another, and I'm not a governor.

He abandoned his responsibilities, he abandoned his family, he's a hypocrite who preaches "traditional values," and worst of all he's completely feckless and incompetent. There was no way he could have gotten away with this. That kind of failure to think things through says only one thing: South Carolina made a big mistake electing this guy.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | June 24, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Never mind the hypocrisy, the moral terpitude.

What about the sheer incompetence? The guy is a complete idiot.

Posted by: chrisfox8 | June 24, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pieanora | June 24, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Hey Jake what do you have to say now?

(silence)

Posted by: chrisfox8 | June 24, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Time for the GOP to lay off the family values BS and leave the gays alone, and focus fulltime on the politics of resentment.

Why, there must be hundreds of thousands of insecure rednecks who can be wooed by nasty talk about how east coast urban liberals are looking down their aquiline noses at them.

Better go with that from now on.

Palin/Coulter 2012

Posted by: chrisfox8 | June 24, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Republican stands for:
    Right winged hypocrite;
    Estrogen wanting;
    Priority me;
    Unless caught;
    Bubble head;
    Love myself;
    I;
    Cocky me;
    Answer to myself;
    Naughty me.

Posted by: rlj611 | June 24, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

WHILE ANOTHER GOP HYPOCRITE DANCES THE SOUTH OF THE BELT-BUCKLE TANGO...

DEMOCRACY AND THE RULE OF LAW ARE BEING STOLEN AT THE GRASSROOTS.

AND REPORTERS TRYING TO EXPOSE IT HAVE THEIR CAREERS AND LIVES TAKEN APART BY A COVERT GOVERNMENT 'MULTI-AGENCY PROGRAM.'

AND ONCE AGAIN, SEX, LIES AND VIDEO DISTRACT THE MEDIA FROM UNCOVERING A COVERT AMERICAN GENOCIDE.

• Anti-Vigilante Journalist Assaulted by PA Cops: A Set-Up?

OR

http://NowPublic.com/scrivener RE: "Gestapo USA"

Posted by: scrivener50 | June 24, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

So, the governor who opposes gay marriage and adoption by gay couples on the grounds that he supports "traditional family values" decided to ditch his wife and kids on Father's Day weekend to go see his married mistress in Argentina. Wow. You really can't make this stuff up can you?!

Posted by: SouthernerInDC | June 24, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Sen. Ensign (R-Nevada) professed his outrage at this development and said that Governor Sanford should resign immediately. This shows a tremendous lack of judgment. At least I had the good sense of not taking any questions at MY press conference. I'm just kidding about him saying it, I think!

Posted by: kind671 | June 24, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Chris, I always thought you were kind of a hip guy! Imagine my dismay when you commented negatively on Prez Obama calling on Nico of the Huff post. I think that you totally miss the point, and it is truly disturbing. Here is a young journalist who has been working day and night to keep the American people informed and obviously our government informed about the events in Iraq. So have a few great bloggers. I believe Obama's motive was two fold. One, he wanted to recognize that he knows the MSM has totally missed the whole Iranian revolt. So many cable hosts have botched the history etc.......... He wanted to acknowledge the revolution of twitter, blogging and news. And maybe to shake up you inside the beltway gossip mongers.
    Secondly I think he saw Nico was asking for questions from IRan and this was a way that Obama could show the Mullahs that he could reach down into IRan and talk and respond to their people. He was messing with their minds and ended up messing with your mind.

Posted by: misskaty | June 24, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Mistress, eh?

Shocker.

Posted by: VTDuffman | June 24, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Oh, come ON Chris. You can't tweet "HOLY CRAP" and then say nothing for ten minutes!

Posted by: mikeinmidland | June 24, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Resigned chairmanship of Republican Governor's Association.

He's term-limited and has only 18 months left in office anyway. Doubt if he will resign as gov unless other problems pop up, especially involving $$ for trip or gifts to mistress.

Posted by: mikeinmidland | June 24, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Earlier today I posted that this incident would be forgotten by 2012 (unless something illegal/immoral went on in Argentina).

Well ... never mind.

Posted by: dognabbit | June 24, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

;-)

Posted by: margaretmeyers | June 24, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

wapo front page says
    "S.C. Gov. Sanford Admits Extramarital Affair, Resigns GOP Post"

Is that a party position, or is he stepping down as gov?

Posted by: bsimon1 | June 24, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Saturday Night Live will have to hire a whole cast just to portray these Repukes.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | June 24, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, there goes another GOP 2012 hopeful...

Posted by: alkuth | June 24, 2009 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Don't cry for me, Mrs. Sanford...

Posted by: andrea81 | June 24, 2009 2:41 PM | Report abuse

Holy moley, flew all the way to Argentina to visit his mistress. That's something else, I tell you what.

Posted by: mattfugazi | June 24, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: michael_zini | June 24, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

How the heck can he tap dance around this? No matter what he says, he can't respond to this statement (which is true of me).

-- On Father's Day, my daughter work up with a big hug from dad. And we went to the zoo, then big playground, and I grilled dinner on the deck and we had a very loving family oriented time.

"Family values" Sanford?

-- "I have no idea where he is," (Sanford's wife)

Posted by: Hawaiiexpat | June 24, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse