Wagging the Debate
Our debate over debates produced a lively discussion this afternoon on The Fix. Here's the best of the 125+ comments:
* "[Edwards] is well enough known that he doesn't need to participate in a Fox debate for free publicity, and he may very well attract more attention to his candidacy by publicly refusing the debate than by participating in it." Posted by: peter
* "It makes him look childish, if anything. The electorate are yearning for a leader who can pull us together, as a country. Mr Edwards instead chooses to support Senator Clinton's 'Vast Right Wing Conspiracy' meme." Posted by: bsimon
* "A big reason why the Dems won in 06 was Bill Clinton going into Fox's house and taking on Chris Wallace. It showed that facts and heart are more important then smirks and smears. Why shouldn't the next Democratic hopefuls do the same thing? They are running for President of the United States, not President of MoveOn.org." Posted by: sdotagain
* "What is the point in having a Democratic debate on a basic cable channel that pulls in a small audience demographically skewed towards people who would never vote for you? Maybe someone thinking of voting in the Democratic primary/caucus will tune in, but why drive advertising money to a network whose primary goal is to pillory you? If I was a serious candidate I'd never do it." Posted by: muD
* "think that Edwards gets "leadership" points for being the first to refuse to participate. Nonetheless, this is still the primary race, and most voters won't even notice. So, it only affects those of us who are political junkies. But that's not bad, because so many of us are rabid voters. For a guy swimming in the wake of Hillary and Barack, these are big points." Posted by: pacman
* "No way should the Democrats go on Fox. The Democratic presidential candidates have far more star power than the Republican candidates do, so why should they let their enemies at FOX news benefit from it? Besides, why legitimize a bogus news network like Fox? John Edwards is totally right on his position regarding the FOX news debates." Posted by: Errin
Thanks everyone for your comments.
The comments to this entry are closed.