What Should Be Bush's Line of the Night

When President Bill Clinton stood before Congress in January 1996 to deliver the final State of the Union address of his first term, he famously declared: "The era of big government is over."

As President Bush prepares his sixth State of the Union, he faces a Congress -- and a country -- deeply opposed to his Iraq policy and largely convinced that America is headed in the wrong direction.

So, for this week's Wag the Blog, we ask you loyal reader: "What should be the memorable line of tonight's speech? And do you think you might actually hear it or not?"

Remember that Wag the Blog encourages thoughtful discussion and commentary, not name calling and rank partisanship. We'll be monitoring the comments section and will pull out some of the more thoughtful later today.

Make sure to check out Capitol Briefing --- washingtonpost.com's new Congress-focused blog -- for updates before and after tonight's speech.

By Chris Cillizza  |  January 23, 2007; 3:14 PM ET
Categories:  Wag The Blog
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Celinda Lake Joins Biden's 2008 Team
Next: Wag The Blog Update: Readers' SOTU Advice

Comments

naturally busty*[url=http://aweb4.org/naturally-bus_0e456xe.html]naturally busty[/url]*

Posted by: ledi | February 15, 2007 5:12 AM | Report abuse

As a Kerry "Baby-Killer" I say Bush doesn't have to apoligize for anything.
After all that silly, rotound Johnson and his even sillier McNamara never apologized for anything about Vietnam did they??

Posted by: Vietvetrevenge | January 24, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I abrogate the direction of the war in Iraq to the newly seated Congress.
They can tell the joint chiefs what to do there; including immediate cut-and-running; etc.
Of course; if any disaster results
from this retreat; I will not be responsible for it; as I have advocated reinforcing the troops in Iraq and leaving them until the democratization of Iraq is complete.
Any other strategy; such as immediate withdrawal or lack of a strategy by the liberal opposition party will be their fault.

Posted by: DoubleDareYou | January 24, 2007 4:49 PM | Report abuse

For goodness sake, please do not beat around "Bush," as in George W. kind of bush. Instead, I suggest, not order, I am a nobody, die-hard Democrat, I can only suggest to those Republican 'Peacenics, nay, peace_nix' kind of goons. It should give me a great pleasure to see poor George being beaten senseless before he uttered a single word, heroic, apologetic, or simply,"Devil made me do it," today at his last SoU address. Blame him all you want to but as far as this brand of Bush is concerned, it had to be done, he did on the authority and recommendations of his advisors. We have moral responsibility to keep those fighting Shia and Sunni clerics jumping at each other's throat the ,moment our last GI-Joe steps on the hurriedly departing helicopter.

Some wise-guy said that "democracy cannot be installed from outside/without.' How prophetic those silly words sound to me. What with within and without business clouding our fair judgment? Peace in the middle-east is or should be our business, nobody elses, as this thingy, Iraq, like an octopus has long, very long and strong tentacles. These tentacles would reach the mainland USA and suck our bleeding-heart sort of blood without our strong presence there till the last hopeful sign is nixed by the warlords.
Then and only then we should bring the boys home. It ain't happening before the election, I am sure about it. Try this one for the size, 'bring the boys home by the next ship, boat, military transport of any sort. Just sorting this sad sortee takes more than a respectable year. By then poor George would be happily writing his famous Memoirs and the woman president to welcome the boys would be crying her heart out over George's last laugh.

Sid Harth

Posted by: Sid Harth | January 24, 2007 6:33 AM | Report abuse

"We are not the first to come here with government divided and uncertainty in the air. Like many before us, we can work through our differences and achieve big things for the American people."

I hope that is true. But I have serious doubts. We are divided and on too many issues. Personally, the president is not "conservative republican" enough for me.

Best line should have been:
"I admit it, I am not the great Ronald Reagan."

Posted by: Anonymous | January 24, 2007 1:52 AM | Report abuse

I wish he would have said" i need the american people to support me in driving less" no oil money no extremists

Posted by: paul | January 23, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

As Davy Crockett, the famed hero, frontiersman and defender of my Texas Alamo, once said: "You all can go to hell--I'm going to Texas!"

Posted by: Centrist Texan Dem | January 23, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

This speech will be a failure if he doesn't change his tone on Iraq. He can no longer deny that lots of sane people are against his surge and any more involvemnt in Iraq. But I guess the early word is that he's not budging on Iraq.

Posted by: mpp | January 23, 2007 8:12 PM | Report abuse

"We have captured Osama Bin Laden."

But since he went off on this little folly in Irag, unrelated to 9-11 in any shape or fashion, I wouldn't expect this piece of news.

Posted by: G. Pruitt | January 23, 2007 8:04 PM | Report abuse

The people have sent a strong message to the next President for allowing my bold initiative in Iraq to fail.

Posted by: Dylan | January 23, 2007 7:53 PM | Report abuse

The era of incompetent cronyism is over. Empiricism is back, baby!!!

Posted by: BushBaby | January 23, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Ooops.

Posted by: Memekiller | January 23, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

This job sucks. I quit.

Posted by: Larry | January 23, 2007 7:12 PM | Report abuse

"Look, I know that I said we were going to Mars in one of my past State of the Unions, what I really want to do is go to Pluto. Heck, it's not even a planet anymore. Can't cost too much to get there. I mean, how much does it cost to get into a theme park these days? Bet my brother Jeb could get us in cheap! When we get there, bet we can see Pluto and Mickey....heh,heh"

Posted by: bert | January 23, 2007 7:02 PM | Report abuse

"We had it all planned out, and we would have gotten away with it, if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

Posted by: meuphys | January 23, 2007 7:00 PM | Report abuse

"I quit."

Posted by: Beavis | January 23, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

What Bush should say:

"My efforts to link Iraq with 9/11, and compare our current mission there with our noble mission in World War II have been both dishonest and self-serving. I preyed on the vulnerability of the American people after 9/11 for rank political purposes, with the "don't change horses midstream" rhetoric of my last election right up through November, when I equated a vote for Democrats with a win for terrorists. I don't deserve to be your president."

THAT would be honesty!

Posted by: Alan | January 23, 2007 6:39 PM | Report abuse

"So, I pretty much screwed y'all over. Sorry about that."

Refreshing and honest. Will we hear it? No.

Posted by: frustrated liberal | January 23, 2007 6:33 PM | Report abuse

George Bush has been a miserable failure at everything he has ever done. I don't expect anything from this SOTU speech and there is nothing that could make me even attempt to watch this vapid fratboy speak for a full 45 minutes. I would need to be as high as he was in the 1970's for that to happen.

Keep on drinking the kool-aid Tina! Wouldn't want to burst your iron-clad bubble with those latest poll numbers.

Posted by: maria | January 23, 2007 6:25 PM | Report abuse

'The Executive Branch has the final say on war plans, not to be undermined by mob rule. '

Mob rule, Tina? We call it democracy in my country. You people sure do like authoritarian regimes.

Btw, 'Only the Congress has the right to declare war' it's in the Constitution -- you might want to read it sometime.

Posted by: drndl | January 23, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

He will say "Joe Lieberman" at least once.

Posted by: Blue Coast | January 23, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

"I will appease environmentalists by announcing increased funding for ethanol, thus increasing our energy independence. My critics say that this will take subsidies from Big Oil and give them to agribusiness. This is hogwash. Most of the owners of the companies are the same, so none of them will be worse off.

I am concerned about the state of Health Care in our country. So I will enact tax breaks for individual health insurance that ensures the healthiest and youngest Americans will opt for the cheapest, least expensive options, driving up the cost of insurance for the rest of America. This has nothing to do with the pharmaceutical companies that have donated so generously to my campaigns in the past."

Well... at least I'm half right.

Posted by: KB | January 23, 2007 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Alright, as idiotic as this exercise is, I'll take a crack at it:

"My fellow Americans, there comes a time when even an old west Texas oilman can see that there is something to this global warming thing...."

You see, we're not that tough to impress. It shows how far we've come over the past 6 years, that the above fictional SOTU quote seems so ridiculously beyond his reach.

Posted by: Pdoggie | January 23, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

All over the world, even after the Cold War, people still look to us and trust us to help them seek the blessings of peace and freedom. But as the Cold War fades into memory, voices of isolation say America should retreat from its responsibilities. I say they are wrong.

The threats we face today as Americans respect no nation's borders. Think of them: terrorism, the spread of weapons of mass destruction, organized crime, drug trafficking, ethnic and religious hatred, aggression by rogue states, environmental degradation. If we fail to address these threats today, we will suffer the consequences in all our tomorrows.

Of course, we can't be everywhere. Of course, we can't do everything. But where our interests and our values are at stake, and where we can make a difference, America must lead. We must not be isolationist. ...

By keeping our military strong, by using diplomacy where we can and force where we must, by working with others to share the risk and the cost of our efforts, America is making a difference for people here and around the world.

Posted by: billclinton1996 | January 23, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

In the arrogance of the popularity my administration enjoyed only a few years ago, I insulted and dismissed and refused to compromise with the views held not only by the then-minority party, but also by vast numbers of Americans who then and now expected that their own views -- brought to Washington by the Democrats they had elected -- would play a part in the federal government's decision-making. Listening to too few, I alienated too many of my countrymen; taking for granted the support of my own party's elected officials, I've lost much trust in those quarters as well. Again, it was arrogance -- a stubborn belief that the decisions I arrived at alone with my closest advisors were infallible, were the only conclusions that could possibly be drawn by informed people -- that brought me to this moment, in which the nation and the Capitol alike distrust me. Tonight I would like to reach out to those of you who concluded, long ago or recently, that I would not listen to others, that I would not take into account convictions that differ from mine -- and ask you for a charity I myself failed to grant. I would like members of Congress' new majority party -- but even more, all Americans who have come to look at the White House with distrust -- to grant me a final chance to listen to your views, to those views that haven't penetrated the White House's walls in recent years, so that we can truly work to find some common ground.

Posted by: Max | January 23, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

what Bush should say and what he will say are two different things.

he SHOULD say, "I sadly accept the resignation of Vice-president cheney, effective immediately, and hereby submit to the Secretary of State my own resignation. good night."

what he WILL say: more mumbling about things that he's been blocking for six years that ought to be done, but he'll say that it all (energy conservation, health care, global warming) should be done through tax rebates. which makes all those pipedreams impossible, because nobody who can claim them is eligible to use the tax breaks without giving up the standard deduction. they just go further into the hole financially two different ways.

Posted by: scott | January 23, 2007 5:39 PM | Report abuse

"It is incumbent upon every American to sacrifice - to reduce consumption - in order for us to end our addiction to foreign oil sources."

This would blow my mind. But he won't do it, won't say it.

Posted by: Tom | January 23, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

'Dick and Condi are fired. It's all their fault.'

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

he should say that he has heard the voice of the country when they voiced their opinions in november by voting his party out of power in congress.

but he probobly won't.

Posted by: ilan | January 23, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Wait until he starts talkiing about taxing health insurance. Cons are gong to LOVE that one... bet his ratings are lower after the speeech.

How low can tthey go?

I thought republicans didn't raise taxes?

One thing I'm sure he will mention is how Iran is the next boogeyman --ooohh, they're so scary, boys and girls, better hide under your beds! -- and how we stop them from [insert madeup charge here] --because Iran is next on the neocon ToDo list and he can't let go of it.

Posted by: drindl | January 23, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

btw adam -- fools are easily fooled.

Posted by: lark | January 23, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

'Only 28% percent [of the country's most gullible] support me -- most of them located on a Washington Post blog. Therefore I apologize for the disaster I have inflicted on this country, and hand the presidency over to someone far more capable -- Nancy Pelosi.'

Posted by: drindl | January 23, 2007 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Tony Snow reportedly said that Bush was "exuberant" getting ready for his speech. Being the kidder he is, maybe he could say:

Hoo-wee!!! what is that STENCH? Pelosi? Was that you? Dick? Aw Dick! You again?

Much levity would ensue. Exuberance even.

Posted by: ModerateMike | January 23, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Friends, I stand before you apologizing for the mistakes that my andministration and especially I made during the Iraq war. While we did make many mistakes we need to win this war because our children deserve a safer world. I understand the troop surge is unpopular but it is the last resort. It is the only policy that our generals and I think can work. I appreciate your support.

I think we will hear parts of this tonight probably not the apology which is too bad because that would really help him. He could learn quite a bit from Reagan who was in a moderately similar situation at this point in his presidency.

Posted by: George | January 23, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

"Ladies and gentlemen, I've made a series of grave mistakes and miscalculations over the past 4 years in Iraq, for which I ask your forgiveness and forbearance. My lapses in judgement have tarnished my reputation personally, and more importantly the USA's standing around the world. I offer no excuses. Tomorrow, Secretary Rice and I will accompany a delegation of lawmakers in New York to being the transfer of responsibility for establishing a new, legitimate Iraqi government to the international community vis-a-vis the United Nations."

Posted by: Alan | January 23, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

"A bunch of liberals on a Washington Post blog don't like me, so I am going to do a 180 degree turn on everything I stand for and cravenly support everything temporarily popular in public opinion polls."

Wait - that's Hillary Clinton, circa 2011 or so.

Posted by: Silent Cal | January 23, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Blarg - are you reading that famed fiction writer Paul Kruggman again. you should know better.

Posted by: kingofzouk | January 23, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Bobby, I know he's basically a troll. But I can't resist responding. I'd hate to think of some impressionable youngster out there reading Zouk's posts and not realizing how insanely stupid they are. Plus, responding to him amuses me. It's sort of like Whack-a-Mole.

Posted by: Blarg | January 23, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"I'm pretty much a failure at everything I've tried. So please, America - let me have this one thing."

As sorry as I feel for a man who can never seem to just...do well, turning a blind eye to his disastrous presidency would be too much to ask of me. He's been handed chance after chance after chance, and being president of the United States of America was a huge chance (that I certainly took no part in giving). I am devastated that he has also screwed that up.

I had no misgivings in the beginning; I was a teenager when we won the office in 2000 and willing to give him a shot. But I have now been through college, and partially through grad school with him as President, and I'm entirely irritated by everything the man does.

What I would absolutely LOVE to hear him say? That he acknowledges ALL of the poor decisions he's made over the years. If anything, he can work his way backward, beginning with his recent request to increase the number of troops in Iraq.

Posted by: all things considered | January 23, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

A few minutes of silence would be appreciated. Then maybe a few words about "the culture of life" and how stem cells and abortion are somehow important. The economy is going well and the dollar stronger than ever. Next how the US will be weaned off oil and why large subsidies must therefore be pushed in the direction of oil companies to develop alternative energy sources. Meanwhile we shall drill the ANWR. Finally why global warming is all bollocks because Barney has been feeling cold all winter (laughter). Oh and Iraq? It's going swimmingly and Petraeus is in charge - you will see the next administration is going even be less able to halt total meltdown. But Iran is not going to be a problem as bombing will start in 15 minutes. The End.

Where's Dick?

Posted by: The Toon | January 23, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Okay Blarg - here is the scoop - King of Zouk is really George W killing time - have you not noticed the lack of substance, poor grammar, and endless distractions -

Bobby Wightman-Cervantes

getting to the heart of helping veterans

Posted by: Bobby Wightman-Cervantes | January 23, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Zouk, it is a fact that real wages make up the lowest share of the economy since 1947, which is the oldest data on record. That means that wages certainly aren't keeping pace with overall increases in prosperity. It's also a fact that, as of August 2006, the median hourly wage had declined 2% since 2003, factoring in inflation.

So, how do you like the facts?

Posted by: Blarg | January 23, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate the comments. I find some funny (sad) and others provacative. I would like to hear him say that after an "intervention" by his father and Betty Ford that he was going into treatment for arrogance, pride and several of the other "deadly" sins.

Unfortunately he is a one-note johnny and sadly one not blessed with perfect pitch.

Posted by: kate | January 23, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

what I want to hear:
Bush: I will not be turning over the command and control of the military to Admiral Kennedy, depite his ability to swim across large divides with corpses in the water around him. Despite his credit for losing the war in vietnam in the same fashion, despite his life of letchery and drunkeness, and becuase he has never been right about anything in his life - see Ford apology over Nixon pardon. Oh wait, he never apologized. Can he at least apologize for de-funding S Vietnam and the resulting deaths of millions. Blood on his hands and now he wants to do it again,exactluy the same way and the outcome???? exactly the same.

Perhaps a bit overdramatic for non-blog audiences.

Posted by: kingofzouk | January 23, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

"It's my party and I'll cry if I want to!"

Posted by: Tomcat | January 23, 2007 4:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm really trying to think of something he could say that would save his presidency, but I'm drawing a blank.

He's not going to acquiesce to the Democrats on the war, he'd take that as a personal defeat (and it would be) and he'd lose the little bit of power that he still has.

He's not likely to offer much of substance domestically, because the treasury has no money to spend on domestic programs right now. He's not going to offer any cuts, because the Democrats won't support it.

He can't make any grand pronouncements about foreign affairs, because he's not in a position to do so, and again, the Democrats won't buy into an axis of evil again. And he won't call for cooperation, because that's a loss for him.

So I guess that leaves platitudes and vague attempts to rally people behind things he's already said.

Posted by: adam | January 23, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Adam, try on some facts for a change. you may find the break from propaganda refreshing.

Posted by: kingofzouk | January 23, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

The war in Iraq is all about oil and, therefore, following the European Union's example, the Department of Energy will present an energy conversion plan to Congress immediately. Think sun, nuclear, wind, some coal. Never again will the US go to war over oil, as we have since the early 20th century.

US troops are immediately ordered home; they have no role in Iraq'a civil war.

Nope, he won't say any of it.

Posted by: j odonnell | January 23, 2007 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Ethan,
Don't believe your Republican lover's talking points. The economy is humming along on average only because the very wealthy average out the rest of us. WAGES ARE FALLING FOR THE MAJORITY OF AMERICANS. Actually declining. The current economy is not one of American prosperity. You are either wealthy or being fooled by the Republican economic shell game.

Posted by: Adam Hammond | January 23, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Oh, by the way, I think the world would stand still if we heard those words tonight.

Posted by: Ethan Quern | January 23, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Zouk,

I think the economy would do just as well under a D president. If Clinton does not deserve credit for previous economy then Bush deserves even less. At least Clinton and the R congress could balance the budget.

Posted by: IA-Dem | January 23, 2007 4:22 PM | Report abuse

The line I want to hear is:
Madame Secretary Rice and I have agreed that foreign policy success in the Middle East starts with the Olmert-Abbas Peace Summit and then the International Paris conference to assist Lebanon. These will be our first steps on the Road Map to Peace.

I will also watch the reaction of Congress as the President speaks about foreign policy and his Iraq strategy for the WAY FORWARD. The Executive Branch has the final say on war plans, not to be undermined by mob rule. (We do not fight wars based on committees or by the polls from the people)
The people elected Bush for the second time in 2004 rather than change horses in midstream. Imagine if FDR had lost his 4th term in 1944, and therefore no VP Truman to take over after his in early 1945.
Would the Democrats in 1945 have supported the new Republican president dropping the bomb on Japan? Truman was a hero as well, but left office with under 30% of support in 1953.
If you want to debate history, let's really look at FDR as he stood strong on defending our nation, followed by Truman.
Do the Democrats forgive him for sending thousands of Asian people to those camps as detainees?
At times of war, many presidents make decisions that civilians will not support.

If the Republicans stand with the President on foreign policy, he will get another chance to finalize the last phase of Iraq policy. The Hagel-Biden Resolution will mean nothing but it will give the reporters more ammunition to fire at our President. That is the real disappointment.

Posted by: Tina | January 23, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I think Bush will discuss each element of the Democratic agenda - even oversight (without using that word) - and suggest that he has always been advocates of them and that he hopes that Democrats will work with him so that he can get them done. Then he will pick two issues he believes can be wedges and dissagree strongly with Democrats in an attempt to define the fight. This is what I would do if I was a lying manipulative disaster of a politician.

Posted by: Adam Hammond | January 23, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

It is a sad, but currently true, state of worldly affairs that democracy can only spring from within, and can not be imposed from without.

Posted by: Ethan Quern | January 23, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Adam because the economy is humming along so well. do any of you libs ever let the facts get in the way of your delusions?

Posted by: kingofzouk | January 23, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I think 'The Onion' said it best 6 years ago on the eve of W's first SotU.

"Our long national nightmare of peace and prosperity is finally over."

They had no idea how prophetic that was.

Posted by: Adam Hammond | January 23, 2007 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Bush can't say anything that would be very memorable to me. With Iraq policy in it's current state, he's like the drunk determined to take the wheel. The Dems are like his friends pleading with him to give them his keys.

Bush has zero credibility with me. I'm not a liberal, I'm definitely not a pacifist, but I have to say that that man makes me angrier than any past president.

I expect him to do some more sabre-rattling regarding Iran. I expect him to pay lip service to bipartisanship, and maybe use Lieberman's name as an example (again). I expect him to do more fear-mongering about Al-Quaida in Iraq.

In short, I expect him to lie.

Posted by: Independent Woman | January 23, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I know what I'd LIKE to hear, but expect we wont - "...I've actually come to believe in God and patriotism and will dedicate the rest of my time in office, my life, to doing good. Thus, I am ordering all troops withdrawn from Iraq immediately. I am ordering investigations and punishment for corporate crooks, especially all of those MBA's who have looted people's retirement savings, outsourced their jobs, and wrecked their lives. I am proposing legislation that will end outsourcing, end all guest worker visa's that take jobs from American citizens. I am ordering a genuine energy policy that will heavily tax people driving gasoline inefficient automobiles and trucks and SUV's and am proposing funding research into electrification and redesign of our interstate highways system to efficiently use hybrid motors." Being really cynicl, I wont expect to hear this from any of the Presidential contender either....and, if we do, they will have their fingers crossed.

Posted by: MikeB | January 23, 2007 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Iraq war - We're in it to win.

Posted by: kingofzouk | January 23, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I didd it all for the very worst reasons ; That I could.

Posted by: donmacnamara | January 23, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

"I resign effective immediately" then for the Democratic response I want to see Obama and HRC state "I am withdrawing from the presidential race because I am too much of a coward to vote to stop the funding of a war needlessly causing the death of American soldiers."

While I want Bush to resign I would prefer Bush in an unconstitutional 3rd term than Obama, HRC, or Biden in the White House -

what is wrong with these people - they know the war is hopeless but because they want the White House they will continue to send our children to slaugher - sick sick sick - get help Obama, HRC, and Biden you are emotionally disturbed people

As a veteran I am too my limit with the lies from both sides - if you believe the Democrats care anymore about veterans than Republicans then why do they remain silent over Bush's policy of pushing veterans off of their medications so that they are forced to apply under Medicare Part "D" ?- answer the Democrats are at a total disconnect with veterans

I am sick sick sick of both sides

To understand how bad things are for veterans see

Bobby Wightman-Cervantes
www.balancingtheissues.com

Posted by: Bobby Wightman-Cervantes | January 23, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

Gottcha !!

Posted by: Anonymous | January 23, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

My name is George, and I'm a Waraholic!

Alternative: My name is George, and I'm a Spendaholic!

Posted by: Duh! | January 23, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I deeply regret the embarassment I've brought to the country and the shame I've brought the office of the presidency and effectively immediately the vice president and I will resign and re-enter private life. Ladies and Gentlemen, I GIVE YOU, PRESIDENT PELOSI!

Posted by: Damian in Pittsburgh | January 23, 2007 3:56 PM | Report abuse

"Ending our addiction to foreign oil will require every American to rethink what she or he considers necessities, vs. what she or he considers luxuries"

except, catchier because I'm not a good speechwriter

Posted by: Golgi | January 23, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

"Today I have pardoned the two falsely convicted border patrol agents."

Except for the illegal alien and Mexico lobbies, it would bring a national roar of approval and his ratings would skyrocket.

No chance though.

Posted by: Truth Hunter | January 23, 2007 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I will resign the presidency, effective at noon tomorrow.

Posted by: Zack | January 23, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

What I would NOT hear: any variation of the phrases "trust me" or "believe me" or "I will work actively work with Congress to..." He'll use them but they'll just be water off a duck's back.

Posted by: Judge C. Crater | January 23, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

"I apologize"

for anything

Posted by: John | January 23, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

If a statesman votes for war, he votes to win that war; that is the essence of leadership.

Posted by: Bear the burden of your political decisions | January 23, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I quit.