Wag the Blog: HRC & Iraq, Revisited

Last week we asked The Fix community for their thoughts on Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton's delicate danceover her positioning on Iraq. Here's a sampling of the best comments:

"As far as I can tell, neither Senator Clinton nor any of her competition for the Democratic nomination for President have offered a plausible plan for solving the Iraq problem. Waffling over whether they'll vote for or against various imaginary bills is irrelevant. As candidates for President, they should be telling us what they would do if they were President now."

Posted by: bsimon

"Hillary holds exactly the proper position on Iraq: we should immediately rescind the overbroad and ill-defined war powers granted to the President in 2002, but we must also recognize that an active military and diplomatic presence will be required in Iraq for years to come. Rescinding war powers will immediately reduce the risks facing our troops by pulling them off the streets of Iraq, where they are nothing more than targets for anyone in Iraq with a gun (which is everyone). Maintaining military bases both in Iraq and Kurdistan will provide the support that these tenuously democratic governments must have if they are not to become Iranian puppets and the seat of even more horrific civil violence."

Posted by: windserf (elan melamid)

"It's very clear that Sen. Hillary is not being honest about her Iraq position. The commercials will be coming soon (hopefully) showing her initial announcement in support of the Iraq resolution, her continued remarks regarding support for the war in the two years following it's commencement, her beginning retreat when the war started to head south, and her continued efforts to speak out of both sides of her mouth depending upon her audience."

Posted by: Concerned Voter

"I think that Clinton's slight equivocation will most likely go unnoticed in this mess of candidates. Whether or not Clinton is sticking to her word and supporting this legislation will not be an issue. Hello! Senators change their minds in voting all the time. Everyone knows, though, that in the end, Clinton will vote in support. Even with little attention to her wavering on the legislation, Clinton will vote for it to prevent any further talk about her. Any comments she made concerning her vote for the bill will become a small blip on the radar."

Posted by: A Fry

"This is exactly why Senators should not run for President. Roughly another year and a half of votes that can only damn you in the final two month's of campaigning that really count. Go Richardson!"

Posted by: muD

By Chris Cillizza  |  May 24, 2007; 4:58 PM ET
Categories:  Wag The Blog
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hillary's New Video
Next: The Line: As '08 Race Heats Up, Hillary and Rudy Remain on Top

Comments

Ankleless Annie trips up again. What's Belinda's input?

Posted by: Philip V. Riggio | May 29, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

ay [url=][/url] ay

Posted by: uzuch | May 28, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

ay [url=][/url] ay

Posted by: uzuch | May 28, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

DCAustinite - whatever. I would venture to guess that I know the Frank catalog - including his writings and political views - at least as well as you do, and probably better. If you had read beyond the first line of what I wrote, you would find that what I said was directly aimed at Hillary, and to a lesser extent the commercial nature of political campaigning today. I will repeat, i HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH WOMEN. I love women! AND respect them... so much as to believe that they are intelligent enough not to take everything at face value, not to mention to read an entire paragraph before deciding what it means. Sure, it was a cheap shot. Zappa was all about cheap shots, especially when said cheap shots served to point out the artificial nature of our culture and conversation.

Take another look at what I said... look carefully. Rub it into your eyes with a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to readers of this blog, and see if you still think I'm a misogynist.

Posted by: Bobby Brown | May 25, 2007 3:53 PM | Report abuse

"If you were familiar at all with Frank Zappa, you would know that he respected no PC "sacred cows,""

comparing your disgusting cheap shot to Frank Zappa's work shows you are not really familiar with Zappa either.

Posted by: DCAustinite | May 25, 2007 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Jan, lighten up. 1, If you were familiar at all with Frank Zappa, you would know that he respected no PC "sacred cows," but that at the same time, his commitment to freedom and opportunity for all was second to none. 2, I think this is possibly the stupidest topic I have yet seen on this blog, which appears to - as someone else said - be "in the tank" for Hillary. I'm sure the other candidates are sometimes amusing and quirky people, with good senses of humor, but instead we are only asked to laugh with Robot Woman. I quite honestly don't care how cute her campaign is trying to be. I want to know why she voted for the Iraq war without reading the National Intelligence Estimate. I want to know what she, in the pocket of Big Pharma since her failed national health care initiative in the '90's, is going to do about universal coverage - and how she will prevent health care execs from FURTHER lining their pockets at taxpayer expense. I want to know what she will proactively DO - not a "market solution" - about global warming... will she mandate higher mileage standards? will she bring Gore on board? will she spend the Manhattan Project level of funding to bring alternative energy up to speed? and what will she do about Iraq? will she actually read and discuss relevant documents and research this time?
FYI, I have no problem with Hillary's being a woman. I have a problem with her calculating ambition and air of entitlement, and I have a huge problem with the fact that she is the wife of a former president... in a democracy, that doesn't sit well with me. That and the above leaves me cold... I will never vote for a Republican, but she is the LAST Democrat I want to see get in, and I honestly don't know if I could pull the lever for her.

Posted by: Bobby Brown | May 25, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

It's uncanny how much Rudy resembles a rodent -- in every way.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 25, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

'bobby brown' -- wow -- some men [and women] are so hung up on gender stereotypes -- guess it's their insecurity about their own -- they get their knickers in a knot every time a woman tries to do something that isn't stereotypically 'female'. It's at once sad and repulsive. Tell me bobby, are you a 'boy or a lady' -- or a 'girl or a man' -- you sound like a confused child.

'WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Arizona Sen. John McCain voted at least three times Thursday in the Senate after missing more than a month of votes to campaign for a presidential bid.

Prior to today's votes, McCain's missed about half of the Senate's scheduled votes so far this year, which is far more than the five other Senators running for president according to the Congressional Quartely, which monitors Congress. Senators Sam Brownback, R-Kansas, and Joe Biden, D-Delaware, each missed about 30 percent of the votes this year. Connecticut Sen. Chris Dodd missed about 20 percent. At the low end, New York Sen. Hillary Clinton and Illinois Sen. Barack Obama, each of which barely missed any votes this year.

The only Senator to miss more votes than McCain is Sen. Tim Johnson, who's recovering from a brain hemorrhage he suffered in December. '

Posted by: Jan | May 25, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

I am going wide of the subject here.

I am watching Lee Iocacca on Charlie Rose and he is saying that the US auto industry cannot compete because our health care system is employer paid and competing countries industries are not.

I am not someone who would favor the fed as a single payer - but how do we deal with Iacocca's point? Some of you claim economics backgrounds - JD and Razorback, I think - have you thought about this in a way that could be responsive to Iacocca?
---------------------------------------
He said he was close to endorsing Richardson and he liked Romney - knew him as a kid. He would not vote for Sen. Clinton and mumbled about the unpleasantness he had with her over health care in the 90s. Said competence and character counted - not parties and platforms.

Posted by: Mark in Austin | May 25, 2007 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Wrong thread, but another good song for Hillary would be "Bobby Brown" by Frank Zappa.

"Am I a boy or a lady? I don't know which"
"(I wonder wonder, I wonder wonder)"

Posted by: Bobby Brown | May 24, 2007 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Still waiting for the Wag the Blog about Obama a while back... did you lose it?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 24, 2007 8:49 PM | Report abuse

her past views on Iraq in 2002-2003 show her to be a near neocon see here.

Posted by: Estes Smirna | May 24, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

her past views on Iraq in 2002-2003 show her to be a near neocon see here.

Posted by: Hillary | May 24, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

I don't why we are expecting anyone to have an answer to this disgusting mess we are calling a war on terrorism. Invading Iraq was wrong, uneducated and unjustified!! The only person that should be held accountable is the president that so willingly gave himself the power to start this disaster!

Posted by: rdizz | May 24, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse