What To Watch For: Obama Convenes the Cabinet, "Wire" Creator on Journalism, Gingrich In Spotlight

By Chris Cillizza  |  June 8, 2009; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  What To Watch For
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Fix: Hillary Speaks!
Next: Obama's Economic Vulnerability?

Comments

The Wire was my favorite pay channel show.. ever.. I watched every season.. the creators are wonderful.. I would also recommend Generation Kill (I believe they collaborated on this - or maybe just one of them).

Posted by: newbeeboy | June 9, 2009 8:48 AM | Report abuse

So much for Gingrich in the spotlight:

I think that is also drowning out Obama's economic "plan".

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Here is a person typical of Guantanamo inmates -- which is to say, innocent of any crime, yet held and tortured for years.

"Lakhdar Boumediene was an aid worker for the Red Crescent when he was swept up in a 2001 raid by Bosnian police and then transferred to the military prison at Guantanamo Bay, accused of plotting to attack a U.S. embassy.

Seven and a half years later, his nightmare his over. The charges against him have been dropped, and in May he was transferred to France as a free citizen, though he has been staying at a military clinic there for physical and psychological observation.

In a series of recent interviews, including one published today by ABC News, Boumediene says he was tortured at Guantanamo.

"I don't think. I am sure," he said, lifting his arms to show the scars.

Boumediene says he was physically abused at the U.S. prison, deprived of sleep for 16 days at a time, and then force-fed through a tube in his right nostril after he initiated a hunger strike.

In his interview with ABC, Boumediene thought he would be fine once the Americans took over.

"I thought America, the big country, they have CIA, FBI. Maybe one week, two weeks, they know I am innocent. I can go back to my home, to my home," he said. "I give you 2 years, no problem, but not 7 years."

He added that he held no grudges against any Americans except for former President Bush, former Vice President Dick Cheney and three other officials from their administration.

"I just, I cry," he told ABC News. "Just I cry, because I don't know my daughters."

Posted by: drindl | June 8, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

Do you believe Obama (who said the same, exact thing)?

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Don't worry, no one beleives you.

Posted by: drindl | June 8, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

If the economy doesn't recover, many first-time votes will simply stay at home or vote third party -- you don't have to believe me though -- even Obama has ADMITTED that he won't get re-elected if the economy hasn't improved by then.

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I predict that a significant number of 2008 Obama voters won't vote for him in 2012.

==

hahahahaha like anyone cares what you "predict"

Posted by: chrisfox8 | June 8, 2009 2:12 PM | Report abuse

“If I don’t have this done in three years, then there’s going to be a one-term proposition.”

~ Barack Obama (February 3, 2009)

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 1:49 PM | Report abuse

(from the other thread):

"Of course he's vulnerable on the economy. I'm not sure of he has gotten so far away from his root, his being in touch with the poor and working class people, that he doesn't understand any more, or if he has been listening to much to 'expert' advisors, but his economic policies are a complete disaster. What was originally, 2 million new jobs to be created by the Paulson-Geithner-Summers economic 'stimulus' packages. Then it was 1.5 million. Then, one million. Now it's 600,000 and that number is sure to shrink. At the same time, the expense of those 'stimulus' packages has grown three times the original estimates, outsourcing of jobs has quadrupled ... All of this is occurring on Obama's watch. It's a disaster, a national disgrace, and it is threatening the very existence of this country. Of course Obama is vulnerable! HE IS TO BLAME! Where is the populist we elected? Hiding, evidently, in a posh office with a bunch of corrupt hi tech executives and Wall Street insiders. Oh, and ordinary voters, you know, the ones that actually elect people? They are fed up with Democrats in general. Sure the Republican's have been a disaster, especially under Bush, but amnesia is setting in and I expect the Democrats to experience the single largest losses in history in the 2010 elections if they don't start paying very close attention to the sort of populism advocated by John Edwards ...."

Posted by: mibrooks27 | June 8, 2009 12:47 PM

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 1:03 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I never predicted that "no one would vote for Obama". In fact, voter turnout for this past election was 131.2 million, compared to 122.3 million in 2004 (which had previously boasted the highest record since 1968, after which the voting age was lowered to 18). Expressed as a percentage of eligible voters, 131.2 million votes could reflect a turnout as high as 63% of eligible voters, which would be the highest since 1960. This 63% turnout rate is based on an estimated eligible voter population of 208,323,000. Another estimate puts the eligible voter population at 212,720,027, resulting in a turnout rate of 61.7%, which would still be the highest turnout rate since 1968.

So, Obama benefited from a high 61-63% turnout rate. I don't expect many Obama voters will go for the "crazy rightwinger". But, if the economy doesn't recover, many first-time votes will simply stay at home or vote third party -- you don't have to believe me though -- even Obama has ADMITTED that he won't get re-elected if the economy hasn't improved by then.

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

"totally wrong, jake, as usual. who else they gonna vote for, another crazy rightwinger? not on your life."

Well, those people predicted that no one would even vote for Obama in 2008.

Posted by: DDAWD | June 8, 2009 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"The Obama Administration is not interested in creating jobs, that would go against the larger plan to overthrow the government."

LOL -- what cave did you crawl out of, trogdolyte. You teabaggbers can't seem to make up your minds. which crazy conspiracy theory do you beleive today, TinHat?

Posted by: drindl | June 8, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: drindl | June 8, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

"The Obama Administration is not interested in creating jobs, that would go against the larger plan to overthrow the government. "

Yeah, most revolutions are conducted by satisfied, well employed populaces, right?

Posted by: DDAWD | June 8, 2009 12:31 PM | Report abuse

a1kjl:

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Most of journalism is dead and that only includes those who work for the Abama administration. They are the American Pravda.

The idea of saving or creating 600,000 jobs is a joke. We have lost nearly 6,000,000 million jobs. The spineless wonder in Washington has no clue. The economic plan Obama has is as good as his Gitmo plan.

The funniest thing is the clueless Americans who bought this (change) hook line and sinker.

Posted by: a1kjl | June 8, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

For the record, I do not believe that our gracious host is an "idiot" : )

Posted by: JakeD | June 8, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Gingrich is 'in the spotlight' because idiots like you listen to him as if he had something to say besides the usual lunatic rightwing propaganda.

Posted by: drindl | June 8, 2009 10:51 AM | Report abuse