Bill Richardson Offers An Olive Branch to Clintons?

At his announcement event today, New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson offered words to help heal primary campaign wounds. (AP Photo/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

"There are some who speak of a team of rivals. But I've never seen it that way. Past competitors, yes. But rivals implies something harder edged and less forgiving."

When New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson uttered the above lines at today's announcement that he was President-elect Barack Obama's pick to be Commerce Secretary, it was easy to think he was talking about his relationship with his new boss.

After all, they were rivals for the Democratic presidential nomination earlier this year and Richardson -- particularly during the debates -- often sided with Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton in disagreements with Obama. (Of course, so did Delaware Sen. Joe Biden -- who wound up as Obama's veep pick.)

But, to our mind, Richardson's comments about forgiveness are better understood in relation to the Clintons with whom his relationship soured during the campaign.

After Richardson dropped out of the presidential contest in early January, there was an expectation among political observers that he would back Clinton. Former President Bill Clinton had appointed Richardson as the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations and Secretary of Energy and it was no secret that the two men were close. That expectation only increased when Richardson and Clinton were spotted watching the Super Bowl together in the New Mexico governor's mansion.

When Richardson decided to endorse Obama then, it made for a major coup in the political world and, according to published reports, stoked real anger in the Clinton world. There was Clinton confidante James Carville calling Richardson "Judas", and a story that Bill Clinton had lost his (famous) temper when asked in a private meeting about Richardson's endorsement of Obama. Richardson, too, pushed back aggressively -- deriding the "gutter" politics of those around Clinton.

The Clintons -- particularly Bill Clinton -- are well known for their long political memories, and Richardson knows that fact better than most.

His "water under the bridge" pronouncement today is rightly seen as an olive branch offered to the Clintons as he prepares to serve alongside Hillary Clinton in Obama's Cabinet.

By Chris Cillizza  |  December 3, 2008; 12:45 PM ET
Categories:  White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: GA-Senate Runoff: Winners and Losers
Next: FL-Senate: Jeb Considers

Comments

You know, all of these people are human beings. Neither of the Clintons or Bill Richardson is a robot without feelings.
The Clintons have been well-known and powerful for a long time. That makes it very, very difficult forthem to know who their real friends are and who is just using them. I think Bill Clinton felt that Richardson was a friend, not just a political ally. That's why he was hurt and angry with him in a way that he was not with other people who did not endorse his wife. I think we expect the loyalty of our friends and any one of us would be hurt if we didn't get it. I think Richardson should have expected them to be hurt and should not have discussed his private conversations with them on national television- something, I must note, the Clintons have not done to him. I suspect that they will forgive Bill Richardson, if they have not already, but I don't know that they will trust him, nor do I know if they should. Your friends should not talk about you on national television- and you can be sure the Clintons will not discuss Bill Richardson or their friendship or lack of friendship with him on television ever.

Posted by: stephanie2 | December 8, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

He should have kept the beard. The corpulent double chin is repellent.

Posted by: mediahack | December 4, 2008 9:37 AM | Report abuse

We don't need no stinkin' olive branch.

Posted by: mediahack | December 4, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

"do you know what people who already know all the answers about things even before the data is in are called?

Racists.

and often Liberals."

Posted by: king_of_zouk

Dear Zouk: wrong answer. The correct answer is O'Reilly and Limbaugh

Posted by: Thatsnuts | December 4, 2008 7:17 AM | Report abuse

Hurt feelings be damned. The only thing that matters is results. All the principles here understand that.

But newspapers are entertainment, so we'll get more of these touchy-feely stories.

Posted by: nodebris | December 3, 2008 11:58 PM | Report abuse

A touch of 'Vero possumus', gbooks?!

Richardson's a nice guy - would have made a pleasant SoS.

Posted by: rupertornelius | December 3, 2008 9:07 PM | Report abuse

"DDAWD - You really are a piece of sun human trash, you know? A smug, uninquisitive, intellect bumpkin, amoral fanatic, smarmy louse and toady. And, I'm now officially done with you. Drop dead. (Obama will do that, to you and all the remaining true believers, for all of us in the near future - Darwin, ya' know....)"

I'm very inquisitive. I'm inquiring about what your evidence is to back up what you say.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Broadwayjoe, Ddawd, mibrooks27

I would like to offer an olive branch to you too - hopefully we can all unite the country under my philosophy for the good of the nation.

Posted by: 37thOStreetRules | December 3, 2008 8:36 PM | Report abuse

I think people need to remember that Hillary Rodham and Bill Clinton are two different people, with two different personalities and two different agendas.

I think she was ambivalent about running (read in Newsweek that she really, really likes her house in DC?). She really did run a terrible campaign.

She gave a damn good speech at the convention and I think she's now truly happy to support Obama. She recognizes his intellect, and I think she's susceptible to his charm as well.

Richardson looked good for State on paper, but he was downright awful in the debates, which showed him to have little gravitas. I think Hillary has it in spades, and the Clinton name is respected widely in the Third World. Richardson's experience is broad, and his international experience will only help in global economic issues. Maybe he's actually BETTER at Commerce since the Numero Uno (sorry, Bill) international issue right now IS economic.

BTW, somebody really needs to moderate these discussions and delete the personal invective. It's all that really mars the WaPo's really great comments availability. (And why I read the WaPo and not the NYT)

Posted by: RealCalGal | December 3, 2008 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Wow peeps - take it outside. Sorry, but rest of us would like to see rational commentary. Mudslinging is for the backyard.

Thanks.

Posted by: undercover_hon | December 3, 2008 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

And failing to provide any piece of evidence, at least let me know what important person you are such that I should just take you at your word despite loads of evidence to the contrary.

Thank you.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 7:28 PM | Report abuse

"Having worded my reply purposefully to force you into the "prove it" contortion you just demonstrated, you've proven my case. You're a fanatic AND an idiot."

I didn't say prove it. I just asked for one single, stupid, lousy piece of evidence. You know it, I know it, everyone who is reading this knows it. Why bother with the lying?

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD - Having worded my reply purposefully to force you into the "prove it" contortion you just demonstrated, you've proven my case. You're a fanatic AND an idiot.

KOZ - pul-ease! I took Obama at his word. He said he was opposed to unfettered free trade, job outsourcing, and the "abuses of the H1-B visa" (a quote from his campaign literature). I generally take people at their word. I was lied to, defrauded, conned, fleeced, "taken for a ride". So don't sit there and blame me for foisting this George Bush in black face on the country. He's a swine, and we both know it. I was a rube and got conned. The question, now, is how do we deal with him and his hucksters? I am more than certain that the country cannot handle four years more of the same sort of incompetent leadership, the same globalization nonsense, more free trade, more job losses, more technology theft - the country will collapse; there wont be a United States; and millions of our people will be hurt or dead. This fool genuinely seems to believe he can continue the free trade economics that created this mess and the outcome will be different. So... how do we stop this fool from wrecking the country? What I am doing, what I am going to be doing, is posting and talking to as many people as possible, to make the Obama Administration as deservedly unpopular as the Bush Administration for repeating precisely the same mistakes made by Bush (and Clinton before him). If his support crumbles, maybe Obama will have more concern about his place in history and will change and actually do the common sense things voters voted for in the first place. It ain't much, I know, but it's all the hope we've got now.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 7:19 PM | Report abuse

And of course, milbrooks fails yet again to back up his nonsensical claims about H1B visas and such. Now a few more people get to know what a liar he is.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Re: "He's a third-rate politician trading off of his ethnicity"

That's racist nonsense. A white man with his resume and accomplishments would be President. Richardson has been a Congressman, an UN Ambassador, a Cabinet Secretary and a Governor.

Furthermore, he has negotiated face to face with Saddam Hussein and other rogue leaders to secure the release of American hostages. He did this at risk to his own life.

That makes him a hero.

No matter how much he accomplishes, some racist will always accuse him of trading off of his ethnicity.

As if being Hispanic automatically gets you the best jobs. Yeah, right. lol

Posted by: sunnyday1 | December 3, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

"Every post I have ever made is accurate and true and you cannot point to one that wasn't."

Then let's see ONE piece of evidence.

ONE

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

mikeB - you voted for the guy so all evidence points to the fact that you are gullible and idiotic. Just because you have now realized that does not change the issue.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 6:51 PM | Report abuse

DDAWD - you and and your fleeced kin are pretty much alike. When someone points out something that doesn't match you insipid and silly narrow world view, they are a "liar" or "deranged". Every post I have ever made is accurate and true and you cannot point to one that wasn't. I just happened to leave the reservation you idiots took up residence on and you simply cannot abide that, nor fathom someone actually having an original thought. How on earth is what you're doing any different than what Dick Cheney and his evil minions did with Iraqi "intelligence". It isn't and you should be ashamed of yourself. That you aren't merely points out how intellectually and morally bankrupt you and your whole "movement" is. Fanatics are dangerous lunatics, whether they be Republican's, christian Fundamentalists, Islamists, or "Obamaicans".

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Why hasn't ANYONE called out Obama over this "Office of the President-Elect"? There's no such office.

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 3, 2008 12:56 PM

_____________________________________

Because, your president, President Bush, went "awall", not doing anything, while we are facing crisis upon crisis ; someone has to take the reins of this Government and President-elect is making sure that while he has no power yet to act that you know it when he makes certain calls or commentaries.

Posted by: adenizard | December 3, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I had no idea that the clinton bridge to the 21st century would be used by Obama to head back to the 90s. I always assumed it was one way. Can we at least date the modern interns and collect our graft in non-discounted chinese money this time?

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

whites with advanced degrees

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Must be degrees in Feminism, Afro-studies, Art history, etc.

Libs don't even know they are in charge of congress. some help those degrees are. Of course with Nancy "worst speaker ever" and Dingy Harry spineless Reid, it is unclear to me that they are actually in charge. Obama has already demonstrated he has not a clue what he is doing. this comes as no surprise to the uneducated among us. but the gullible Libs with all those sheepskins will never catch on. they are still blaming the VRWC for the blue dress.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

well, I stand corrected about the fleece thing. Not about calling milbrooks a liar, though.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

"Liar...I receive every email sent out from the "official" Obama campaign...they don't solicit buyers for campaign Paraphernalia...the only emails that they are sending out now is to solicit feedback from supporters on his Economic Plan and other issues relating to his transition. They do have a link to the Obama Store on his website, but it's accessible by choice. Your wooden nose is growing, lol...Obama Hater--don't hate participate!!"

I got an email today asking for $35 to get a calendar. I've gotten ones offering shirts and buttons. They are definitely still asking for money and are definitely offering stuff.

And I'm no Obama hater. I might even get the calendar. $35 for a four year calendar wouldn't be the worst use of my money. That's $8.75 per year.

I didn't get any fleece offers, though. I don't see it on their website either. milbrooks is a perpetual liar, though, so I guess this fits the pattern.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 6:34 PM | Report abuse

The text of the email:

This holiday season, celebrate the historic accomplishment of our movement for change. Treat yourself or a loved one to a limited edition Obama fleece jacket.

Make a donation of $50 or more right now and get an official Obama fleece to mark an amazing year:

Items purchased by December 15th are guaranteed to be delivered before December 25th.

When you make your donation, you'll be supporting the Democratic National Committee. The resources they invested in the 50-state organizing strategy made this movement possible -- help us build for future victories together.

Share this amazing moment with your friends and family. Thanks to supporters like you, we all have the opportunity to bring real change to America.

Get your holiday Obama fleece today:

Obama for America

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Beingsensible - Be VERY careful about whom you call a liar, scumbag. I received that email from "Obama For America" and YOU DID, TOO... I can see it in your "in box". You fanatical lying trash, Obama's remaining true believers, are no different than your counterparts from the right. In time, in a very short time, Obama will end up with the same reputation that Bush has now and silly empty headed twits like you will be just as highly regarded as the Bushies are now.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I applaud Gov. Richardson in accepting this post from President-elect Obama. We need as much intelligent people as we can get to help solve the mess that President Bush has created and will be leaving us not soon enough. Although from Bush's interview with Sam Donaldson @ ABC news, I didn't hear from him a word about taking responsibility for this mess; already shifting that to others.

Well I wish the new team well. The economic challenge will keep them so busy, I hope they will not have time to play to their big egos and I know that President-elect Obama is strong enough to navigate through it all and let the American people be the receiver of the success that will be coming.

Posted by: adenizard | December 3, 2008 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I think Richardson is a good pick for Commerce. This notion that Richardson somehow owed Hillary Clinton his endorsement is ridiculous.

What about Greg Craig, Robert Reich and all of the others from the Clinton Administration who endorsed Obama? Nobody called them traitors.

The Clintons think they "own" Richardson. Maybe because he's a minority.

Posted by: sunnyday1 | December 3, 2008 6:25 PM | Report abuse

Talk about appropriate... and timely! Now, most of you know I was a former Obama campaign worker, but more thn a little ticked when he and the Democrats reneged on their platform and promises and have decided to keep up the free trade train ride to hell - more outsourcing, more cheap Indian and Chinese guest workers, ... more free traitors! So, imagine my surprise when I just received an email from the Obama campaign offering to sell me an "Obama Holiday Fleece". Fleeced, conned, swindled, cheated, taken for a ride, ripped off, we have been! Enjoy your depression!

Posted by: mibrooks27
-----------------------------------

Posted by: Beingsensible | December 3, 2008 6:07 PM | Report abuse

king_of_zouk:
Here's the real statistic about which candidate carried the intelligent vote from a legitimate pollster. According to Pew Research, Obama carried whites with advanced degrees by 10 percentage points, while McCain carried the dumb white vote (those, like yourself, with a high school education or less) by 18 points.
I'm sure, however, you won't let this little fact affect your view.

Posted by: wmw4 | December 3, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

That McCain voters are SMARTER than Obama voters???

Isn't that obvious? this poll essentially proves that.

---------------------------------------
...and then also though...Ah--and too...we gon' take the Maverick out tha Senate and put the Maverick in the White House...You Betcha...also though...

Posted by: Beingsensible | December 3, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 5:54 PM | Report abuse

McCain won the election. You guys just don't know it yet. There is an underground recount in the works. Just you wait you arugula-eating pinko liberals. Sarah Palin will be field-dressing you guys.

Posted by: hayden1
---------------------------------
Yep, he has Obama "right where he wants him", lol...where is that again--In the White House?...lol

Posted by: Beingsensible | December 3, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hayden1 | December 3, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Racists.

and often Liberals.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

To king_of_zouk: I wouldn't trust that poll very much. It sounds like the questions revolved around the usual GOP plan of avoiding real issues and talking nonsense (palin wardrobe, Obama gaffes). Can you get a list of the 13 questions? Who directed you to this poll? Limbaugh? Fox News? Can we all PLEASE get beyond this nonsense and try to fix the problems with this country WITHOUT acting like children? Lordy, Obama isn't even president yet. Bush has been president for 8 years and it has been a disaster!

Posted by: aejenkins1 | December 3, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

"That McCain voters are SMARTER than Obama voters???

Isn't that obvious? this poll essentially proves that."

I guess another good poll question would be to ask if Bush was a good President. I wonder how that would break down between McCain and Obama supporters.

That's probably the test of minimal political competency. It's akin to adding two and two. I guess Republicans would have more difficulties with simple arithmetic as well.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

BTW.... you blithering rug munchers who claim Richardson crossed the Clinton's are beyond argument. Do you think because the Clinton had the "opportunity" via election to appoint 1'000's of political appointees, that they then are sealed in some sort of personal allegiance. It's about "gettin' er done" you silly children. I'm a former schedule appointee and I am also a critic. I would go with the best candidate... especially if I know one of them, and know they are flawed. Thank goodness men with conscious came out early in support of Obama against all you P.U.M.A. twerps. Could you imagine having had to run with Rodham Clinton with Wall Street collapsing? McRunt would have won in a landslide... running against Wall Street (HRC).

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | December 3, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

OBAMA'S CO-OPT CITY: MAKING SENSE OF HILLARY AS SEC/STATE

Posted by: scrivener50 | December 3, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

The Clinton's wouldn't know an olive branch from riot trunchen. He just has to hang on long enough from the P.U.M.A. forces and Rodham Clinton will hang herself in all her Hedge Funds and Wall Street shenanigans. I think he would do a great job at Commerce... and State will be available again as the sisterhood of the traveling pantsuit, corrupt to its' very core, hangs itself out to dry.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | December 3, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

That Olive branch? With all of the free traitors on his staff, with his abandonment of his promises to curb job outsourcing, guest workers, the whole insanity of free trade, Obama and his "team" have taken that Olive branch and shoved it up the taxpayer's backsides. At a time when it is so obvious that globalization is a threat to the very existence of this country, Obama's naming another free traitor to his cabinet is tantamount to a declaration of war on the working public.

Posted by: mibrooks27 | December 3, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

No, it wasn't the Clintons practicing gutter politics; it was actually Richardson, as he went to watch football with Bill, then endorsed Obama shortly after, probably thinking he would get a better offer in the long run. I saw it happened and was astounded.

Obama is paying his political dues in line with his team of rivals philosophy, and that's fine.

With all his credentials, I used to think that Richardson would have been a good secretary of state. Problem is his sense of loyalty is off the beam. I suspect Obama sense that and didn't want to take a chance. This is not a reflection on Latinos - it's a reflection on Richardson personally. And that's so unfortunate.
Latinos would have been better represented by someone else, whatever post.

Secretary of Commerce is more than Richardson deserves. One could say Richardson gambled and lost, and given his behavior....(I mean how much better is Commerce than Energy).

Frankly, Latinos would probably have voted for Obama anyway. So the question is whether Latinos voted for Obama b/c of Richardson or inspite of him. For Latinos, the issue should be having the best possible person to represent them and make them and their interests shine, not just anyone who has a Latino connection. Despite all his credentials, Richardson has sunk to the "anyone" status.

Posted by: Ruffles1 | December 3, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Those of us in New Mexico know Bill Richardson as a having a liberal political position and as being utterly sleazy. We are glad to get rid of him.
Yes he stood for many of the things we wanted, but he always had his hand out looking for "his share".
He sold the Clintons out. They will probably be polite to him but will never trust him again. Nor should they.
I am sure Hillary will be cool and polite to him and Bill will avoid him. They don't believe in dividing the party.
The only good thing about having Bill Richardson as Sec. of Commerce is the fact that he isn't Sec. of State.
The Clintons will probably behave warmly toward Richardson, but he doesn't deserve their good will.

Posted by: bghgh | December 3, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

That McCain voters are SMARTER than Obama voters???

Isn't that obvious? this poll essentially proves that.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

The most adult thing to do is to forgive and forget, these people aren't playing a game, they owe it to the American people to act in a responsible way. It is overdue for the Washington crowd to grow up. The slights they have endured are petty compared to the insults we have suffered over the past 8 years.

Posted by: AverageJane | December 3, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Richardon is the bigger better person...The clintons are not to be trusted.

She could not cement any deal if it was laid in front of her....Obama is in charge and the world leaders will want his assurance about anything she says. She has no true affinity for people and is organizationally inept... fiscally irresponsible... Bill is the Asia/ middle East star--EU and other than rural America--NOT SO MUCH! --she has Never traveled with portfolio!!!

Obama is giving her this chance--the results to be determined!!!

Good luck World. Trust but send Samantha Power as her keeper!!!!

Posted by: jetlone | December 3, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 3, 2008 12:56 PM

Because no one is allowed to criticize The One. If he says there's an "Office of the President Elect" then it exists.

And this "team of rivals" meme needs to die a quick and painful death. There never was a team of rivals--it was all in Doris Kearns Goodwin's imagination. Lincoln's real team of rivals had seceded from the Union and established their own government.

Posted by: cab91 | December 3, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

These wormy politicos will make up with anybody that can help assure their place at the public feeding trough. We need to stop acting like they are honest, principled beings.

Posted by: rplat | December 3, 2008 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Why should RIchardson apologize to the ugly, selfish Clintons for

choosing a candidate other than Hillary? For choosing the candidate Obama that America elected. But a big margin, incidentally.

Richardson has a unique and valuable international portfolio, saving situations and people all over the world, well before the Clintons were heard of.

Until the media, particularly the "new york" media, gets off the holiness of Hillary and her disbarred, dishonorable, many think dispicable spouse, the media will look like fools.

Richardson, not the screaming failed diva, Hillary, would have been the best SecState.
Lugar or several others, better.

That Hillary is neutered and boxed in is the only thing that makes it bearable.

Posted by: whistling | December 3, 2008 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Political differences in a presidential campaign can be ugly nasty. Duh. If Hillary can forgive Bill for Monica surely the rest of us can learn a thing or two by watching these PROFESSIONAL POLITICIANS move past their differences for the GOOD OF THE COUNTRY. They aren't Republicans. Or worse Libertarians. They actually care about each other they just believe vehemently in their cause. They're over it. How 'bout yuze guys!?!

Posted by: Mitchavery7 | December 3, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Preoccupation with personal loyalty in executive appointments is what brought us such luminaries as Alberto Gonzales and Michael "Heck of a Job" Brown. If sticking with your own best judgment rather than falling in line with your political patrons constitutes being a "Judas", then we need more Judases in government.

Posted by: tjmaness | December 3, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"Without making a judgement...I do believe that WITHOUT BILL CLINTON Richadson would be a 5 term Congressman representing
an Arroyo, a Coyote and a Bull Snake."

And without George Bush, Alberto Gonzalez would be a small time lawyer in Houston...

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: adrienne_najjar: Ths Clintons need to get over themselves.
___________

It seems to me that people who keep spouting this stuff about the Clintons should get over themselves

Posted by: tfspa | December 3, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Bill Richardson's olive branch is as phony as his bad hairpiece. The Clintons dont owe him anything -they had been very good to him and he spit in their faces.

Posted by: JUNGLEJIM123 | December 3, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

"Dumb Libs:

The conclusions that can be drawn from this new poll are multiple and really rather staggering. In general, McCain voters were significantly more well-informed than their counterparts"

I know that Stephen Colbert jokes about having a fax machine that gets all the Republican talking points, but it almost seems like there is such a thing in real life. This is the new talking point? That McCain voters are SMARTER than Obama voters???

I want to see a poll on who thinks Saddam Hussein is responsible for 9/11.

Posted by: DDAWD | December 3, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Chris would you please re-print the remarks by Senator Byrd to Richardson when Richardson testified about the nuclear secrets getting out and the handling of the investigation???

Posted by: 37thOStreetRules | December 3, 2008 3:33 PM | Report abuse

I am still upset about the piling on of Hillary during the primaries. I forgive Richardson. I just do not like him as much as before.

Posted by: bschratwieser | December 3, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I am still upset about the piling on of Hillary during the primaries. I forgive Richardson. I just don't like him very much now.

Posted by: bschratwieser | December 3, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

In my opinion Richardson was guided by his AMBITION rather than a sense of or value toward LOYALTY.

an Arroyo, a Coyote and a Bull Snake. Perhaps, Governor...but NEVER would he (in my opinion) have entered a Cabinet/Executive Branch position.

Why? Well, just how many electoral votes does New Mexico have?

And how many Congressmen are from NM? I believe '3.'

He owed Clinton. And if he's pissed than I believe he's got a point.

However, Politics does make strange bedfellows. And in a working relationship I believe there will be not many working relationships between them and if so the facade of cordiality.
Also, defer to any and all Executive edicts.

ok. i do have an opinion. he owes his career to clinton and he \
did a real s**t*y thing.

But that is the nature of politics...including the Clintons...They've given their share.

Loyalty is the commodity of politics.
Though some say $ is.
Or ambition is.

I'd prefer loyalty. More consistent.

Posted by: jato1 | December 3, 2008 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sour Grapes...who are these poor GOP snobs writing in here criticizing Clinton and Rihardson...hilarious. the best one was te person that wanted Obama called out for acting like the President Elect...have you looked at tired, lost GWB lately...blaming anything and anybody for the mess he created. thankfully we have a President Elect that's working and not planning vacations on the Texas ranch for the next 8 years.

Posted by: dkummer1 | December 3, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about The Commerce Dept or Richardson? He's a third-rate politician trading off of his ethnicity who has a proven record of disloyalty. He's as good as done in politics.

Obama needs to announce who he wants to head the SEC by the end of this week. The first thing this appointee needs to say is his or her first act will be to bring back the Up-Tick Rule when shorting stocks on a temporary basis until a full investigation takes place of Cox's administration or should I say maladministration of the SEC is conducted.

He or she should also announce that he or she is going to ask for an increased budget to fully enforce the rules on the books that protect the market for everyone. The nation and the world need to know that market manipulation and and phony financial reporting will be punished severely.

Posted by: jmcauli1 | December 3, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Richardson has a big ego to match his very long and impressive resume. However, Richardson is a bit more realistic than many egotistical politicians.

Having been a cabinet secretary, a UN ambassador, a US Representative and a governor, there really is not elected position that could or should interest him...except the Presidency.

But that's just not in the cards demographically.

Still I had to laugh when someone cited Sen. Robert Byrd's comments as somehow disqualifying Richardson as if Robert Byrd were some sort of saint.

I know enough about Richardson to know that he'll be a loyal supporter of Obama, but that if asked Bill will give Obama an honest opinion.

Posted by: jjedif | December 3, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Richardson proves once again he is the better person...The clintons are despicable people---with no integrity or honor....

He should have been SoS but...She will screw up ---let us pray it is not an international incident! She has NO PEOPLE SKILLS AND IS A GUILTLESS LIAR!

Posted by: jetlone | December 3, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

37thandORules(NOTHING), are you still bitter and clinging? Just practice saying, "President Obama" between now and 20 January 2009. You'll eventually get over yourself.

Posted by: meldupree | December 3, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Ths Clintons need to get over themselves.

On a related note, I heard that a group of Chinese-Americans are upset over the nomination becasue of the Wen Ho Lee case. The Chinese need to get over whatever slight they feel they have suffered as a result of the nomination.

Also, I heard that the Hispanic congressional caucus is "demanding" more hispanic cabinet nominations.

What the heck is going on here? These special interest groups need to put a lid on it. There are bigger fish to fry, and I don't give a rat's posterior what you and your spoiled little pipsqueak followers want for yourselves. The country is a mess, and we need competent proven leadership to get things straight, not some rainbow coalition just so that some groups can feel important.

Posted by: adrienne_najjar | December 3, 2008 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 3, 2008 12:56 PM
_____________________________________________
You certainly focused on the important issue of the day, don't you?

Ps - Obama is the President Elect and therefore it would be up to him, as President
Elect, to define the office.

Posted by: MikeOLeary | December 3, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I would prefer if everyone is realistic about Richardson - his time at the Energy Department was close to a complete disaster.

What is wrong with you people?

Senator Byrd practically accused Richardson of deceiving Congress.

I really can not support this kind of blindness to past actions which were counter to what is required conduct among government officials.

Wake Up People

Posted by: 37thOStreetRules | December 3, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

The expectations of President Elect Barrack Obama are huge but so are his limitations as the head of his Administration.

True test will be how he forges his Cabinet team and delegates authority but assumes all responsibility of results. e.g. Can he use President Clinton's goodwill to engage in the pressing problem of Kashmir an issue embroiling two close allies in Asia.

India, an emerging power has to be given due recognition it deserves. Gone are the days when India through Indira Gandhi belonged to the Soviet orbit. Secy of State (SoS) Rice has recognized that through the nuclear agreement it has forged with India. So balancing India with military aid to Pakistan is the thing of the past.

Now that Governor Richardson is out of the way, President Elect Barrack Obama needs to assign President Clinton as special envoy to South East Asia and delegate authority to him to do the ground work to remove the sore thorn of Kashmir out of the two strategic atomic powers like allies that are India and Pakistan.

Then SoS Clinton can cement a deal between India and Pakistan that will bring comfort and security to the two nuclear nations and help the US to deal with Al Qaeda in the North West Frontier of Pakistan with full force and might of Pakistan at its disposal.

This is the time to seize the opportunity and spear ahead a Kashmir detente between India and Pakistan which only the Clintons can manage for Obama on the world stage today.

Posted by: ajain31 | December 3, 2008 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Dumb Libs:

The conclusions that can be drawn from this new poll are multiple and really rather staggering. In general, McCain voters were significantly more well-informed than their counterparts, and there is overwhelming evidence that the gaps in knowledge are directly related to the media sources they were exposed to.

Here are just some of the “highlights” of the Wilson Research Strategies poll of 1,000 voters whose demographic breakdown was an exact replica of the total voting population and whose results totally vindicate the controversial Zogby poll:

35 % of McCain voters got 10 or more of 13 multiple choice questions correct.
18% of Obama voters got 10 or more of 13 questions correct.
McCain voters knew which party controls congress by a 63-27 margin.
Obama voters got the “congressional control” question wrong by 43-41.
Those that got “congressional control” correct voted 56-43 for McCain.
Those that got “congressional control” wrong voted 65-35 for Obama.
Those “exposed” to FOX News got “congressional control” correct 64-25 (+39)
Those ‘exposed” to CNN got “Congressional control” correct 48-38 (+10)
Those “exposed” to network news got “Congressional control” correct 48-39 (+9)
Those “exposed” to print media got “Congressional control” correct 52-37 (+15)
Those “exposed” to MSNBC got “Congressional control” correct 55-35 (+20)
Those “exposed” to talk radio got “Congressional control” correct 61-29 (+32)
Voters in the South had the best response rate on “Congressional control” (+22)
Voters in the Northeast had the worst response rate on “Congressional control” (+9)
Those “exposed” to FOX News voted 70-29 for McCain.
Those “exposed” to CNN voted 63-37 for Obama.
Those “exposed” to MSNBC voted 73-26 for Obama.
Those “exposed” to network newscasts voted 62-37 for Obama.
Those “exposed” to national newspapers voted 64-36 for Obama
Those “exposed” to talk radio voted 61-38 for McCain.
Those that could associate Bill Ayers’ name/story with Obama voted 52-48 for McCain.
Those that knew Obama had made negative comments about “coal power plants” voted 76-24 for McCain.
Those that knew Obama had his opponents knocked off the ballot in his first campaign voted 66-34 for McCain.
McCain voters did poorly (only 42% correct) on the Keating question and, in general, the voters did universally worse on questions where the negative information was about their candidate.
Women under 55 did worse than they might have by guessing on four of the thirteen questions yet 95% of them knew that Palin was the candidate with a pregnant teenage daughter. — Even 95% of those in this demographic group who didn’t know “Congressional control” got this question correct.
Those “exposed” to MSNBC scored 90% correct on the three Palin questions (including an incredible 98% on the pregnant teenage daughter question), while those not exposed to MSNBC averaged 84% correct on those three questions.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Because "office of the messiah" sounds so pretentious.

Posted by: king_of_zouk | December 3, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Expect him being out of the country most of the time, and zillion steps ahead of Hillary in carrying the weight.

Posted by: lockmallup | December 3, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

are you even capable of writing ANYTHING re obama without mentioning the clintons.

Posted by: mycomment | December 3, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

What a shame! Billy boy doe snot have the smarts to perform at this level. Having had the pleasure of working under his rule as governor of New Mexico I can say that it was not a very good experience. All that he did was to move his interests forward. Not the interests of the citizens. in the end he cost NM dearly.
Watch for this guy!

JP

Posted by: JosePublicio | December 3, 2008 1:48 PM | Report abuse

All of us have experienced a falling out with "best" friends, and this is not different. As a mother, I experienced my childrend having fights, (serious disagreements) with their best friend. So naturally, I got involved only to regret it big time. No differenence when we grow up, we are only children, but older.
"No doubt the Universe is unfolding as it should" The Desrata by Max Ehrmann

Posted by: msreginacomcastnet | December 3, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Great choice.

Posted by: Jerkstore | December 3, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Bill Richardson is an excellent choice for Commerce. Only regret - wished he kept his bearded face.

Posted by: wsealsjr | December 3, 2008 1:24 PM | Report abuse

When the Obamas finally do get that dog, the MSM is going to act as though they made their choice based on their need to replace the Clintons' lost pup Buddy.

I'm not saying that nothing Obama and his surrogates do ever has anything to do with the Clintons, but this seems like too much of a stretch, even for you guys in the press. The team of rivals refers to Gates (a Bush appointee), Biden, Richardson, as well as Clinton and others. The world does not revolve around them, no matter what the MSM thinks. But I understand why you lot try to turn everything into a Clinton story - it brings in the eyeballs and sells ad space.

Posted by: dkp01 | December 3, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

If I were the Prez-elect and I had an office, even in my home, I would make a sign for it. :-)

I see BR as the most biz-friendly D and a logical choice for SecCom b/c he has international experience, as well. If there is to be friction of the sort that bsimon warns us against, I hope it is BR who survives.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | December 3, 2008 1:13 PM | Report abuse

If everything they write keeps this "...what will billary think about this or that.." air to it, then billary is, de facto, usurping the limelight from Obama's efforts.

Billary was, is, and always will be a circus attraction to avoid.

Posted by: Heerman532 | December 3, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Nice move on Richardson part and Obama. Richardson is the better choice for Secretary of State and now he will be around in the administration in case Bill/Hill screws up! I see him taking the job if he has to get rid of Hillary.

Posted by: mattadamsdietmanager1014 | December 3, 2008 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: gbooksdc | December 3, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Reviewing the Judas episode reminds me that Obama is playing with fire in inviting HRC into the cabinet.

Posted by: bsimon1 | December 3, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Nice move on Richardson's part. I hope he and the Clintons can bury their differences, and help President Obama get some serious work done. God knows, we need it.

Regardless of the campaign craziness, it's time to make common cause against the REAL competition -- a challenging economic crisis, a world that won't calm down, and the inevitable pushback from reactionary dead-enders and Know-Nothings here at home.

I wish them all the best.

Posted by: WaitingForGodot | December 3, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse