Political Take: Stevens Loses, Lieberman Wins, Clinton at State?

The Fix and Newsweek managing editor Dan Klaidman rapped about the defeat of Sen. Ted Stevens (R-Alaska), the survival of Sen. Joe Lieberman (I-Ct.) as Homeland Security chairman and the "will she or won't she" speculation about Hillary Rodham Clinton as the next Secretary of State.

It's below and it's the Political Take!

By Chris Cillizza  |  November 19, 2008; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McCain's Next Step: Re-Election in 2010
Next: Barack Obama and the Culture of Leaks

Comments

"I feel sorry for you son, I got 99 problems but Hillary ain't one"

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 21, 2008 8:50 PM | Report abuse

I don't know Chris.... I's have gone with 99 problems (Ice Tea) or Just Like Compton, because you know (I live in Shaw) D.C. is just like Compton.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 21, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

I hope Hillary stays in the Senate. I think she is particularly well suited to making a difference in the Senate and that she won't lured to Secretary of State, which is high-visibility and will make her a target for Obama supporters who are not willing to consider that he can do anything wrong and will be looking for scapegoats to bear the responsibility for anything that goes wrong.

Posted by: annetta3 | November 20, 2008 12:59 PM
--------------------------------------------

thing is she can't get re-elected. She lost the black vote when she attempted to portray the Black church as Black Liberation Theology for scared "hard working white people. I don't support her for SoS... but I understand why she is all but "forced" this on Obama. Even Obama can't save her butt with African Americans.

Posted by: angriestdogintheworld | November 21, 2008 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: annetta3 | November 20, 2008 12:59 PM | Report abuse

Folks, I understand your preference for the written word. But don't be too tough on Chris and the Washington Post; they are experimenting with new formats for delivering this content, and will probably try a few more before we're done. Kudos to them for trying.

To make a positive observation, I like the byplay between the two commentators, though I find they rarely push each other out of their comfort zones, so this is more like a video version of two columns rather than a real discussion.

Posted by: Krunj | November 20, 2008 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of clemency, for your consideration:

Marc Rich, a fugitive, was pardoned of tax evasion, after clemency pleas from Israeli prime minister Ehud Barak, among many other international luminaries. He was required to pay a $100 million dollar fine and waive any use of the pardon as a defense against any future civil charges that were filed against him in the same case. Critics complained that Denise Rich, his former wife, had made substantial donations to the Clinton library and to Mrs. Clinton's senate campaign. Emails uncovered during the course of the investigation revealed that her final donation was provided a year before Scooter Libby requested that she approach Clinton for a pardon. According to Paul Volcker's independent investigation of Iraqi Oil-for-Food kickback schemes, Marc Rich was a middleman for several suspect Iraqi oil deals involving over 4 million barrels of oil.[19]

Posted by: dbj1 | November 20, 2008 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Almost nine minutes of yacketyyack is too much of a good thing. Go back to writing things down please.

Posted by: Opa2 | November 20, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

This is shaping up to be the weakest cabinet since..... Lincoln - did anyone bother to tell Obama that Lincoln went from defeat to defeat for years - killing more and more people each time....

The war was a disaster for this country, there was no glory to it.

Did anyone tell Obama that Lincoln took years to settle on a General??

Did anyone tell Obama that Lincoln's administration was the worst in history, one which almost had several coups???

Keep Hillary out of the line of succession - that would be a good idea - I would not want to be in the line of succession between Hillary and the top - NO WAY.

Posted by: 37thandOStreetRules | November 20, 2008 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Kili wrote, "Dan's head seems 30% smaller than Chris's when they're on split screen"

The obvious explanation would be that it contains 30 per cent less information...Chris tracking all these obscure house and senate races and all....LOL

Posted by: officermancuso | November 19, 2008 8:45 PM | Report abuse

And, for the other side... I like CC's column, but these are my least favorite. Part of it is I don't like video reports as much as written reports. Part of it is the chemistry between Chris and Dan - they try to pop out ideas more - like who is brighter - than develop them between each other. And, call me sensitive, but Dan should sit closer or Chris farther away - Dan's head seems 30% smaller than Chris's when they're on split screen.

Interesting topics, though.

Posted by: Kili | November 19, 2008 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, I clicked on "Wooly Mammoth DNA Unraveled", and I get Klaidman and Cillizza on Lieberman!

Actually, a most enjoyable spot you've posted here. Cillizza can't stop himself from smiling whenever he discusses "inside politics" - he loves it, can't help it, and it makes the viewer enjoy it as well.

Newsweek clearly has the stricter dress code, but you'd think they might loosen the tie requirement and institute a hair combing rule.

On a reluctantly serious note, I found myself agreeing with most of what both said - particularly that the Lieberman clemency is a smart move on the part of Obama and the Dems, and has probably actually moved Lieberman.

I disagree that there's much chance of a 60 Dem senate. That would require the December defeat of the improbably named Saxby Chambliss in the Georgia runoff.

I've studied the history of this issue, and it turns out, front-runners named "Saxby Chambliss" never lose runoff elections.

Great Fix post, in any case.

Posted by: officermancuso | November 19, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse