President Obama makes his NCAA Tournament picks (and the Fix does too!)

President Barack Obama unveiled his picks for the NCAA tournament today -- in a segment with ESPN college basketball analyst -- and Twitter addict -- Andy Katz.

Obama, in a clear attempt to get in good with the ole Fix, had a string of kind words for the Georgetown Hoyas. "I think they're getting better," Obama said of the team "[Coach John] Thompson [III] does a good job and I am feeling pretty good about Georgetown making a little run." Us too!

Obama picked the Hoyas to lose to Kansas in the Elite Eight with Kansas State, Kentucky and Villanova rounding out the Final Four. His championship game is between Kentucky and Kansas with the Jayhawks emerging as the champions.

We did picks of our own -- to slightly less fanfare. Like the president, we picked our beloved Hoyas all the way to the Elige Eight but just couldn't bring ourselves to choose them over Sherron Collins, Cole Aldrich and company. (Prove us wrong, guys. PLEASE.)

The Fix Final Four: Kansas, Syracuse, Villanova and Kentucky. Championship game: Syracuse and Kentucky with the Orange winning it all.

If you haven't done so already, sign on to the Post site and make your picks before the games start at noon tomorrow. It's -- yet another -- chance to prove how much smarter you are than the Fix.

By Chris Cillizza  |  March 17, 2010; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  White House
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Colorado caucuses: An early incumbent warning system?
Next: President Obama sits down with Fox News Channel

Comments

So sorry about the Hoyas, CC. Even if they would have gone down in the Sweet 16 to my beloved Jayhawks.

Great start to the tournament. A one point game and two in OT.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | March 18, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to see the Big East teams do well.. I love WVU 'Cuse Georgetown Nova (ND just went down) Marquette Pitt.. they rock...what a year!!

Posted by: newbeeboy | March 18, 2010 5:03 PM | Report abuse

I did two brackets this year:

FF in "real" bracket: KU, UK, SU, BU - KU over UK in final

FF in backup bracket: OSU, UK, KSU, VU - UK over OSU in final.

Could be a huge year for Big 12.

Posted by: koolkat_1960 | March 18, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

UNC-KU was the strangest game. When the lead got under 10 points, I thought KU was done. Now if they can beat Syracuse in the Final Four, the circle is complete. KU-K State would be fun to see. If it weren't for the Kentucky bracket, a Big 12 Final 4 isn't difficult to envisage.

Roy Williams leaving KU hurt, but he's a class act. Unlike some other wandering coaches (*cough* *cough* Lou Holtz *cough* *cough*). Then again, I've left a couple of jobs to move on, so who am I to complain?

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | March 18, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Is this really important "news?"

Anyway, Obama choose the same final four as I did in my selections in the bracket contest at "The New York Times" website three days ago. I agree with his choices thereafter with Kansas winning over Kentucky.

Posted by: Aprogressiveindependent | March 18, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

off topic, but RIP Alex Chilton

Posted by: DDAWD | March 18, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, I can imagine what it was like to lose Williams. Dean Smith retired a few years before I got to UNC, so I didn't have to go through that.

But hey, you won the championship and got to embarrass us on the way.

Posted by: DDAWD | March 18, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

Roy Williams leaving was the kick in the teeth (after you've gotten one to the groin). A few months later, I started a new job. My future office mate's licence plate? Cuse04.

That last title run helped. Jayhawk bred. Cornhusker raised.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | March 18, 2010 12:07 AM | Report abuse

You know, why isn't Michelle Bachman the conservative sweetheart? She's better looking than Palin, she's crazier, actually has a job on the national level, can see Canada from her house. Did I mention that she's freakin insane??

Posted by: DDAWD | March 17, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

We all know where I stand

Obama's pic is in the pic - so whatever, too bad he doesn't have a chart of the whip count, which for him doesn't look at that good.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 17, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

"KU gets revenge against 'Cuse and faces the Mountaineers.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade"

Oh yeah, I remember that. Carmelo Anthony just couldn't be stopped. Then we took Roy Williams off your hands.

Posted by: DDAWD | March 17, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

Has 37th wandered into the wrong thread. We're talking basketball. BB-ball. Hoops. And most important of all:

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!!

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | March 17, 2010 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Rep. Lipinski was just on - he said there were 12 people in the Stupak group - but the lists have only 5 or 6 - and they won't say who the other 6 or 7 Congressmen are.

HHMMMM

This is extremely significant - if it is true, it means that Nancy is really locked out of getting the votes.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 17, 2010 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I have the three Ks in the final four and your little Duke too. Lucky for Dorothy, Kansas wins, they have the keys, talent, experience, coach, attitude. It is theirs to lose. Syracuse loses to K St. Not too sure about WVU v UK, newbeeboy might be right.

Posted by: shrink2 | March 17, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse

broadwayjoe

How can you say something is "shameful" if you didn't see it?

What is wrong with you ???

You obviously have NO IDEA what you are talking about - you just run on and on - but you are a complete fool.

Did you try to tell Chris what to write today ???

YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS SHAMEFUL.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 17, 2010 10:38 PM | Report abuse

I just saw Chris on Countdown and as much as I dislike Duke, Chris said they would lose in the 1st or second round.

Arkansas - Pine Bluff grad here ... I will be pulling for the 1st 16 seed winner in UAPB's 1st NCAA appearance but I don't see it happening.

Posted by: ptdennis | March 17, 2010 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Didn't see it but I understand the so-called "interviewer" had to apologize to our President. Shameful. A low point even for Faux News. Word is the Murdoch family is disgusted by the Faux's hate-program content (Beck, et al.) and changes could be in the offing...

Go Hoyas.

Posted by: broadwayjoe | March 17, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

The Fantastic Four: Kansas, Syracuse, West Virginia, Baylor (didn't like anyone from that bracket).

KU gets revenge against 'Cuse and faces the Mountaineers.

BB

Posted by: FairlingtonBlade | March 17, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

37thand0street,

MSNBC just showed the loser on Fixed News interviewing the president.

The pathetic Fixed News interviewer actually had to apologize for the disgraceful manner in which he interviewed the president.

Yet here you are -- complaining about the president on a topic that has nothing to do with the Fixed News interview. NOTHING.

Why don't you take the time to read the title of the topic being discussed here before flapping your jaws about our president?

The topic is the NCAA Tournament picks.

Take a few minutes and read the guidelines for posting here sometime. It's surprising the moderator has left you around this long.

Posted by: ovechkin | March 17, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Why did Obama go on FoxNews if he wasn't going to answer any questions???

It was disrespectful.

Obama was just trying to create another deception. Obama wants to create the impression of reaching out, yet he refuses to actually address directly the questions.

It makes Obama look like a fool.

Why is it that Obama goes out to fool people, and all he ends up doing is fooling himself ???

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 17, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: DDAWD | March 17, 2010 4:17 PM

Hey Mr Dawd, looks like you finally figured out obama's true calling. Email him now and let him know so he'll have some ideas for his career change in 2012. From POTUS to HOTUS (handicapper of the US). I can vote for that!

Posted by: SuzyCcup | March 17, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

The health care whip count - I find two main counts on the net - one at thehill.com and the other at firedoglake.com

They tell two different stories.

The count is so close right now, I'm not sure the counts can tell us much beyond there are probably about 14 undecided democrats left - and Nancy needs about 12 to say yes - that is about the room for error - otherwise she doesn't have the votes.

Posted by: 37thand0street | March 17, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

did it

Google's logo today is charming.

Posted by: shrink2 | March 17, 2010 6:17 PM | Report abuse

a yahoo account entails getting an email address, so you would just get spammed to that address. I don't think the spam is that bad, though.

Posted by: DDAWD | March 17, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

It's free to make a yahoo account if you don't have one

But, do you get spammed?
I realize the war on spam is almost over, but I do worry about desperate companies, like aol and yahoo.

Posted by: shrink2 | March 17, 2010 5:42 PM | Report abuse

If anyone is interested, figured I'd make a group for us.

Group name: Fix Bracket
ID# 178685
PW: drudgerules

It's free to make a yahoo account if you don't have one

Posted by: DDAWD | March 17, 2010 5:14 PM | Report abuse

Villanova? We're talking about the same Villanova that lost 4 of their last 6?

Posted by: cao091402 | March 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

I too think WV should beat KY. Baylor got an easy road and I think they make the Elite 8. If they face 'Nova they will beat them. Matchups, Chris. 'Nova does not match up well against other teams with strong guard combos PLUS bigs. Jayhawks can be beaten by another quality team only in a perfect storm situation. Not hitting outside against Syracuse zone, for example, while 'Cuse hits threes all night. Unlikely. Too many guns, too much backcourt, too many BiGS. But possible. Georgetown will be a problem for its opponents, as will WVa and K St and A&M and I think Louisville and OH St. I would totally discount Duke, except for the guy who runs their show. Same for Mich. St. Did I name everyone yet? UT, one and done, but I can hope for them to come alive.

Rock chalk, Jayhawk.

Posted by: mark_in_austin | March 17, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

The men of orange do not have the talent it takes, though I love coach Boeheim.

Posted by: shrink2 | March 17, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Have to give the Big O some credit. he finally revealed something about himself.

Posted by: leapin | March 17, 2010 4:30 PM | Report abuse

Obama's got a pretty good track record. He picked the last two Super Bowl winners as well as last year's NCAA Champion. (although only got ONE final four team)

Posted by: DDAWD | March 17, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Watch for WVU to eliminate UK.

Posted by: newbeeboy | March 17, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse