Wall Street's response to regulation

By Tom Toles

c_04182010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_04192010.gif

By Tom Toles  | April 18, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Economy and jobs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Metro's fundamental problem
Next: The worst kind of 'victory'

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Dear Tom Toles -

I have decided at age 42 ?

Providing I can learn to draw ?

I think I want to seek to express myself with right brain/ images more than left brain words -

It just hits the mark right off - (or, heh, sometimes probably not) but I just wanted to say- although I JUST came across your work ? I am a GREAT admirer of your choice to express yourself.

Imagine blogs if they had more cartoons ! There ARE no cartoon blogs - people use words- and yet ?

I am DRAWN - hmk- pun intended to this - really- 3 careers I hear exist in life- I'm exiting #1 -software engineer/development aka - programming, and I do say - I think I've found what I'd like to do in life !

Perhaps it all started when I met my wife- she had this New Yorker comic on her cubicle at work and it goes between employer and employee "And... Plus I can read".

heh - heh

I also remember one other from when I was a child - in the New Yorker -shows these two old guys - one goes to the other" At first, it was the money, then the sex, anymore it's just about the power".

Indeed- we are an IMAGE deprived culture when it comes to images that I see you've put forth - there is someone else on the WP I see- she had a good one with chickens with their heads cut off running around as response to terrorism - I mean - sheesh- WORDS could take 5,000 COMMENTS- but that ONE image says it all.

Oh well - THANKS - Maybe you can recommend some approach to learning how to draw !
I REALLY REALLY want to move over to image over words-

Tim Miltz

Posted by: RedMercury | April 19, 2010 5:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh, I didn't see the banner on the scanner.

I was going to say- since I can't draw- I wanted to put forward an idea for a comic - regarding the advanced airport body scans.

Which would show someone asking for a copy of the scan so they could give it to their doctor- because they couldn't afford an MRI/MRA or CT scan.

I mean, my god - people pay out the NOSE for scans - I looked into an MRI scanner - they are 500,000 USED on labx.com - AND you need a license, but you figure ? people pay $1000 PER scan ? that's only 500 people- at say ? 10 a day ? FIFTY days the thing is paid off, so WHY is it $1000 ? I looked into the software for it - you don't need a brainiac to run it - of course I was surprised to learn that CT scans - depending on what the 'operator' decides, can be REAL high radiation, EPA and FDA regulation coming on that, I think it's FDA- but it SHOULD be EPA if you think about it - heck DOE on that ! heh

anyway - hope you can make the comic.

I also had an idea for a single comic, shows Clinton with a stack of items - boxes, like a bon fire - IRA on one, 401k on another - pensions on another - ALL to represent through metaphor the removal of Glass-Steagall - and then Bush in the foreground with some matches - with Clinton pouring gas on the pile in the background - Bush saying "hurry up, we gotta beat the rain" where rain is people realizing the corporations operate in a global economy, yet they're sold useless 1800's nationalism on a stick- where ALL their assets are about to be burned.

Oh well

Tim Miltz

I like the humor "Before you critize me on "I can't draw" or heh - seems you get those a lot -I've not been to this thread yet as far as I know. I do say I like it.

Posted by: RedMercury | April 19, 2010 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Capitalism rocks, but people need to realize that a completely free market system doesn't work. This financial crisis was spawned from companies cutting deals that most people, even investors, didn't understand. Regulation is a necessity, not an option.

PS- I love the mythology reference in the sketchpad today.

Posted by: aumiller61 | April 17, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Have we not learned enough from history? The Great Depression, The Great Recession and all the in between recessions have shown that pure unbridled Capitalism will only led to financial and economic hardship. Yet those in power listen to the lobbyist who spin their tales and woes to keep themselves in bonuses and schemes for added wealth. What will it take, a total and complete meltdown?

Posted by: MyVoice3 | April 17, 2010 7:42 AM | Report abuse