DWI tests turned toxic

By Tom Toles

c_06112010.gif

***
Friday Rant
Where to start? There's a phenomenon where one event can color your perception of everything. Well today a lot of things look like they are coated in chocolate-brown oil glop. In a week that gave new incoherence to the concept of "corporate responsibility," the Supreme Court continued its demolition of the few remaining restrictions on corporations and the wealthy buying up the last scraps of the federal government they don't already own. And Sens. Lisa Murkowski (Alaska) and Lindsey Graham (S.C.), the "sane" wing of the GOP on climate change, did their best to make the atmosphere a larger version of the gulf.

And I HATE it when I'm dragging a file with my computer mouse to the left (the direction I like to drag things) and it runs into my keyboard and I wind up pushing my keyboard across the desk because I don't want to yield and pick up and reposition the mouse.

But mainly I'm annoyed right now about the "enthusiasm gap" between liberals and conservatives. It's probably not even real, since the media says it is, but it's annoying me, anyway. I'M enthused every day when I look down 16th street and see a White House that doesn't have a careless ideologue living in it anymore. We now have a health-care bill, probably some restraint on Wall Street soon, and some progress on climate, through the EPA if nowhere else. And at least a temporary respite from a new crop of Samuel Alito-type appointments murmuring "it's not true!" whenever hearing that money ISN'T speech or corporations AREN'T actual people. And I'm enthused about every day that President Palin hasn't moved in yet. Think about THAT for a bit, oh ye yawners.

--Tom Toles
***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_06112010.gif

By Tom Toles  | June 11, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Cars, DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Roberts's rules of order
Next: High tide

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

pararanger22 wrote--

Toles isn't just a liberal. He is a simple shill for the Democrats. No logic - just a servile hate of the GOP. No debate - just I'm correct/GOP is wrong. You see, you wouldn't want to be around him because he is a closed book that puts on an act that he wants a debate.

I don't know what you mean by "You see, you wouldn't want to be around him..."
Perhaps you could elaborate on that.

I am starting to see that perhaps he is a closed book though : (

Posted by: bertzel | June 13, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

"But mainly I'm annoyed right now about the "enthusiasm gap" between liberals and conservatives. I ... see a White House that doesn't have a careless ideologue ... a health-care bill, probably some restraint on Wall Street soon, and some progress on climate ... respite from a new crop of Samuel Alito-type appointments And President Palin hasn't moved in yet...."

1 - The WH has an ideologue in it now, a socialist one.
2 - All enthusiasm on the right is real and its real fed-up. All enthusiasm on the left is all show and no-go this year. All those polls that show close races for the house and senate this year? Guess what: libs are staying home because the current Wh team isn't getting it done for them.
3 - Health care? Are you kidding me? I live in the UK and I can tell you, its a nightmare. And are you happy that that debt increasing nightmare was passed before an energy bill?
4 - Progress on climate. Now, there was a real debate. You know, even the liberals should be breathless about how a few scientists blocked all debate on climate issues and just issued so called FACTS. Funny how all the so-called FACTS led to ideas about how to destroy the USA's economy and send all our $$ to Bangladesh.
5 - I would love to see a debate between Toles and Roberts or Alito and see who really knows the law or what is best for the country.

No, Mr. Toles, time for you to retire. You couldn't elect McCarthy and its still all about 'anti-establishment' man. Peace!

Posted by: pararanger22 | June 13, 2010 5:05 AM | Report abuse

kchses1---Funny is funny no matter what your political view. Everyone needs to learn how to laugh at themselves. The fact that the policeman looks like he weighs 400 lbs. says it all for me. Donut anyone?

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | June 11, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Toles cracks me up. I think it's the look on the faces.

NOw when someone accuses me of being a liberal for thinking Toles is funny please explain to me how the Police breathalyzer test cartoon fits your halucinated liberal/conserative dichotomy.

Posted by: kchses1 | June 11, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

Tom---That brown glop is just the visual by-product of that disaster. There is also huge amounts of methane gas escaping into the atmosphere. Methane released into the atmosphere also causes global warming.

I my area of the country the local authorities seem to have a strange way of encouraging bar patrons to exceed the blood-alcohol limits and get behind the wheel while tracking them down with the same technologies. Or have someone waiting there when they leave. Cab services are also unreliable in my suburban location. DUIs are thought of as just another source of revenue.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | June 11, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

"a White House that doesn't have a careless ideologue..."

I like President Obama, too. But that does not mean President Bush was careless. Just tht he did not agree with your policy to give up in Iraq when it was difficult. My opinion was that he cared.

I deplore the attitude that if people do not agree with us that they are stupid or have been paid off. We do have room to differ and be right.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | June 11, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

About as reliable as who's buried in Kennedy's grave? Can't wait for the Congressional hearings.

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | June 10, 2010 9:56 PM | Report abuse

We have a President who is being overwhelmed by events. A President whose talk of no more business as usual is just that, talk. A President who is not yet ready to cut government spending to put the brakes on the deficit. And now we have that fine Representative, Barney Frank saying "just give us more authority". Our President does not lead. The left in Congress wants more power. Are you sure Mr. Toles that you don't see any storm clouds gathering over the White House as you look down 16th Street?

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 10, 2010 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Please do something on this Arlington cemetary mess, it so calls for your visual touch. Armed forces risk their lives to leave no one behind on the battlefield to have them lost in the cemetary. Outrageous and incomprehensible.

Posted by: MitchinADK | June 10, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse