High tide

By Tom Toles

c_06132010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_06132010.gif

By Tom Toles  | June 13, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Environment
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DWI tests turned toxic
Next: World-wide web

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Gotta watch out about having our version of the Almighty and one of his angels commenting on the oil spill. There might just be an Islamic gripe!

Posted by: maldelus | June 14, 2010 8:20 AM | Report abuse

fromthecheapseats,
No offense but I was not looking for approval..I am more interested in communicataion. I find 'actions speak louder than words'. Your remark, "We don't have a BP in our area", was a weak response to my comment.
What if you did have a BP in your area...what if you frequented that station before all this happened? Would you continue to do so? Why? Why not...
Preaching without engaging on the same level with a fellow commentator is quite yawnable...

Toles- I blew in a cops ear once...still got the ticket : )
Perhaps I blew in the wrong one.

I must say, I've had more intriguing conversations, sipping Glenlivet, around the campfire.

Posted by: bertzel | June 13, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Although I don't understand the cartoon or comments by Mr. Toles, perhaps it too is about my paygrade. But I know that it's meaning will be understood by other. I guess it's over my paygrade, oops, I think that phase has already been taken. But without any copyright infringement, i ottered (intentionally used) the phrass a water animal. But I do know things do well fishy and don't pass the smell test, no matter how you look at the big picture.

My applause the thoughful posts to this continuing seemingly unstoppable disaster. Now with hurricane and tourist season approaching, it is hard to foresee and peaceful resolve as with the teen sailor rescued.

TO JONAHandtheFISH, forgive me but I am not familiar with the verse for that, If you can, I would be interested in knowing.

To bertzel- Thanks for speaking up!! We don't have BP in our area. BP (BRITISH Petroleum) should change their name to MUP (made Up Plans). Sad to see the under ground volcano growing with vigor.
This is a crisis. Human lives, and our beloved sea creatures are no more.

To bobbo2- Bravo. As we enter into nearly two months of the oil rig disaster and this non-responsive Administration, looking back upon Senator Obama's promises as detailed in his Environment Fact Sheet while he was campaigning are painfully laughable.

Here's is but a small sample of his rhetoric in the following two paragraphs and the link for reference. Seems Obama's absence in leadership or action was forced to respond only by the power and pressure from the press and drop in his approval ratings.

Now back to his promises broken as follows:

Restore the Wetlands: Barack Obama is an advocate for preserving our wetlands and supports a broad range of traditional conservation programs, including the North American Wetlands Conservation Act and the Wetland Reserve Program in the Farm Bill. He and Joe Biden will work with local governments to develop the best strategies for protecting and expanding wetlands. Obama’s record on protecting wetlands dates back to his days as a state senator, when he was a cosponsor of the Wetlands Protection Act, which provided for the conservation of wetlands in Illinois.

Barack Obama will help the Gulf Coast restore the wetlands, marshes and barrier islands that are critical to tamping down the force of hurricanes and serve as critical fish and wildlife habitat. As president, he will immediately close the Mississippi River Gulf Outlet, which experts say funneled floodwater into New Orleans.
Here's the link, if you're interested.

Thank you in advance for reading this.

fromthecheapseats (at least the cheap seats are well above sea level, for now.

Posted by: fromthecheapseats | June 12, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

As a Conservative I expect my Government to be able to handle emergencies such as the Gulf oil disaster. Our Government has vast resources provided for by our tax dollars and is directed by the Constitution to protect us in such circumstances. Our Government is not demonstrating that it can handle the situation. The Constitution restricts Government. With politicians wanting to add more and more to the Government's load of responsibility it is obvious why such restrictions are needed. A Government that does too much does nothing well. If our Government cannot handle disasters I do not want it involved in more and more everyday affairs. Affairs that the people should be free to handle themselves.

Posted by: bobbo2 | June 12, 2010 6:23 PM | Report abuse

What you choose to call “chocolate-brown oil glop” I would just call shyt.
And yes it is everywhere in great abundance.
A couple of weeks ago I chose to fill up my vehicle at a BP station. I figured, what the heck, they just happened to get caught….the “hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil” has run amuck throughout our capitalistic society since birth!
I am quite sure that when all the “inquiries” come to an end, the “fingers” will be pointing at those from the “top rung” of the ladder all the way down to the guy or girl trying to keep that ladder “steady”.
I will be filling up my vehicle again soon and even though I will have a discount of over 80 cents per gallon at BP, I am seriously considering getting my gas elsewhere…not because of the explosion that occurred…because of the deceitful acts I’ve seen since this disaster has taken place.
Perhaps “the powers that be”, should take a deep breath and refocus on our main concern…..CAPPING the DAMN holes and cleaning up the mess! We don’t need to hear your PR commercials every day. We don’t need Britain and the US finger pointing. We don’t need to constantly hear the “facts” we have been fed are constantly “low- balled”. We need some honesty, some trustworthiness.
We are “big kids” and I’m pretty sure we are capable of handling the truth. So how ‘bout getting a pressure gauge down there (if there isn’t one already, and why there wouldn’t be a couple in place just blows my mind) and tell us the TRUTH! How ‘bout letting “others” help out. The waiting game is not a good game plan. Already played that card and look where it led….We need some Progress towards ending this FIASCO.
Then again…maybe I just need more sleep…

Toles… a desk with a “special pullout table” for your keyboard will solve your mouse problem.

Posted by: bertzel | June 12, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Tom---According to Biblical scripture life on Earth this time around will be destroyed by fire. I guess all this oil will help make it more flammable. Just think how much oilier the Gulf will be by the time they are able to cap it off. Honestly, it looks to me like they are waiting for the well to run dry. I guess it will be real easy to cap then.

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | June 11, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Tom, did you take your sick puppy to the vet yet?

Posted by: taxcutsin12 | June 11, 2010 9:05 PM | Report abuse