Looking for a job

By Tom Toles

c_07122010.gif

***

What I did on my vacation

Probably the most exciting part of the vacation was the gold-mine digging and hitting a rich vein on the SECOND DAY! That should help to defray expenses on the fifth deck of the family yacht that I'm hoping to finish up this season. It takes a little longer doing it all myself with vintage nineteenth century hand tools, but it's worth the pride and satisfaction I take in the results. There's nothing like the feel of a wooden block-planed gunwale with a hand-rubbed beeswax finish from your own bee plantation/vineyard.

It wasn't all work and no play, however. I took a respectable third place in the 2010 Menagerie Race in Flanders, the first time anyone has finished in the top ten riding an ostrich. Good old Beatrice was never more spirited, and beat the zebra by a LONG NECK! This all positions me very nicely for the Washington Competitive Vacations Awards, an ongoing marathon event. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_07122010.gif

By Tom Toles  | July 12, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Economy and jobs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Slacker
Next: A fitting cap

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

I spent my vacation rafting the Rillito River. I also rode the aardvark and won by a nose.

Posted by: jayrayinnv | July 12, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Sounds like an amazing vacation! Welcome back, Mr. Toles!

Posted by: Kevin71707 | July 12, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

While I don't consider you the Messiah or anything, it's nice to see a new cartoon. Welcome back!

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | July 12, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Oh, Tom (Jesus Christ) Toles has blessed us with his presence! Another of his insightful, hilarious cartoons and incisive written commentary! Gee, we were all so miserable during his absence; I did nothing but wear black mourning clothes and sit shiva with the shades drawn for the entire two weeks! I'm sure glad the Messiah decided to return! Now we can all smile again!

Posted by: mbrachman | July 12, 2010 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Gee, and I thought that visiting the 30 places that Bill Ayers and the Weathermen bombed was an impressive vacation. Guess not. Welcome back Mr. Toles.

Posted by: bobbo2 | July 12, 2010 6:56 AM | Report abuse