New mandate

By Tom Toles

c_10202010.gif

***

Locker combination

The other day, when I went swimming, there was a guy in the locker room who started yelling at someone who wasn't there anymore. "#%@*$!!!, use the lockers correctly!", he admonished a prior user of a locker, in no uncertain terms. There was a pause while his indignation regathered. "*&^%#@!, why can't you use the #$@%^*@# lockers CORRECTLY???"

I did the thing I guess anyone would do, I started wondering what misuse of a locker could possibly have warranted this distinctive level of outrage. These are half-lockers, which makes them too small for corpse storage. What, then? A badly executed diorama? In any case the perpetrator was long gone and the invective blasted out at whomever was in the room at the time, to no apparent benefit, I assure you.

I decided that the incident might just possibly be a PROXY for his anger about something else! Perhaps for the economic collapse, runaway fiscal irresponsibility, two mishandled wars, all-around carelessness topped off with a bullying attitude that was left in the national locker by George W. Bush, whom he voted for. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

c_10202010.gif

By Tom Toles  | October 20, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Congress, Scandals
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Unfinished business
Next: Ad mire

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

jadinc...way to 'romanticize an ejaculation...how 'bout doing one on the sperm that ends up in a condom or in someone's hand...I could go on, but I have a bit of class...you get the picture tho.

Posted by: bertzel | October 21, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

Masterful, as usual!
Thanks - You and Ms. Telnes and Oliphant get me through the day!

Posted by: lufrank1 | October 20, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

True Value by: John Dunning
The race begins,
50 to 500 million eagerly swimming to the finish line,
80 percent through,
200 are left
At the end,...1 brave fearless swimmer meets its destiny,
It rest,It grows
8,750 turns of the hour glass,
Metaphysical conscious evolves with the 1st air
It makes an unrecognizable cry
Translation, I have a right to live,
The first days pain distorts my natural instinct,
Hunger, Thirst,
Finally, reality sets in,
An unspoken word that is crystal clear,
It's amazing to see what can happen,
When a nation perceives the value of a human life, to be less than equal
I was born in Darfur

Posted by: jadinc | October 20, 2010 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your "proxy" insight.

Posted by: duke5 | October 20, 2010 1:20 PM | Report abuse

There is really nothing in Mr. Toles' account to indicate that George W. Bush had anything to do with this incident. The man was probably suffering from Tourette Syndrome, and there was nothing wrong with the locker at all. Or maybe he's just a jackass. I predict that history will not be kind to George W, but he's probably off the hook for this one.

Posted by: DaveHarris | October 20, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"It is really a cartoon fantasy world out there in "Liberal-land". Enjoy yourselves; just leave me the &^%%$ alone!"

yes, God forbid we "libs" force ya'll to get your heads out of your bums and face the facts: no matter how you spin it, W and his decisions while in office have left a deluge of problems which will take YEARS to fix. Blaming Bush is appropriate even 10 yrs from now. We still blame Nixon for some of his illconcieved decisions. So, I'll go back to leavin' you alone. You betcha!

Posted by: AliceW2 | October 20, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

". . . runaway fiscal irresponsibility . . ."

TT apparently has consumed the Republican kool-aid. Fiscal policy ("tax and spend") is the only lobe of the economic brain that Republicans seem to know about.

But what about runaway monetary irresponsibility?

Oh, Sorry. I forgot that only kooks and kranks ask about that. The rest of us respectable folk must genuflect before Mr. Bernanke's oracular wisdom and respect the Fed's need for ultra secrecy.

Us rubes might be fit to pick congressmen and presidents, but we're 2 dum to know anything about money. So we better just let those bankers do whatever they think is best. Lord knows they have our best interests at heart.

Meanwhile, the Creature from Jekyll Island continues to sever the productive economy from its roots.

Posted by: HumanistPatriot | October 20, 2010 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles, George W. Bush last ran for office in 2004.
Your commentary appears to have arrived six years late.

Posted by: DirtFarmer1 | October 20, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

"Once they are elected, there is no sheriff to enforce any foreclosure."

Who needs a sheriff when the next election is coming up in 2 short years?

Posted by: bsimon1 | October 20, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

The unbounded creativity exhibited here to somehow blame Bush for everything is really remarkable to behold. Personally, I think the locker room guy is a great proxy for every socialist/lib who thinks he knows better than we do how we should all live our lives. We're just not doing it right, eh, Tom?

Posted by: Shrimper | October 20, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

I guess Mr. Toles is too polite to show the usual salute that newly elected (reelected) people give their donors. But it is quite familiar to most of us.

Once they are elected, there is no sheriff to enforce any foreclosure.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | October 20, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

come to think of it, your third grade teacher falied you, too, Tom by not making you draw inside the lines. History will take care of George W. Bush. Two years in the rear view mirror is not history, but the Democrats in congress are.

Posted by: pauljfeld | October 20, 2010 8:12 AM | Report abuse

Tom, I think the analogy should be: Bush crapped in the locker, and now the guy is cursing out the people who came in to clean it up... even though the Bush-alikes blocked the cleaners at every possible turn and are now promising that next time their crap won't stink.

Posted by: egc52556 | October 20, 2010 7:30 AM | Report abuse

The gravitas of tea party candidates make children out of liberal journalists opines. See Dowd for proof.

Posted by: jornolibist | October 19, 2010 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Maybe the foul mouthed guy in the locker room is a moderate Democrat and he is just indirectly venting about his Party and the far left that run it.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 19, 2010 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Bad boy Bush. What will he do next?

OOPS,

I thought he went home.

Years ago.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | October 19, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse

Messed up lockers are George W. Bush's fault now, too.

Yesterday, my dog crapped on the living room floor.

Freakin' Bush.....

Posted by: JerWH | October 19, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

For progressives are always looking behind.

Posted by: jornolibist | October 19, 2010 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Hey webmaster! WTF is up with the links below each Toles cartoon? The little sketchbook image errors out about 99.9% of the time, yet the little link below it (Continue reading this post) works 100% of the time. Is this some sort of liberal conspiracy to prevent REAL Americans from seeing the idea that Mr Toles (if that is his REAL name) rejected for the day.
:P