Metro riders need rescuing, too

By Tom Toles

c_10172010.gif

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_10172010.gif

By Tom Toles  | October 17, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  DC
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Circling back to gay rights
Next: Monopoly, foreclosure-style

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

One word comes to mind Dave....Poppycock.
now if you don't mind I, myself, have business to attend to concerning the 'wealfare of society' in these united states...good day.
Posted by: bertzel

Puppycook?
You must be a bloomin' Limy.
Actually, my parents were both from England.
My dad was a Cornishman and my mother was from around the London area.
I wish you the best "concerning the 'welfare of society' in these united states..."
I hope that you will understand the importance of the right solution to human problems and support meaningful change instead of conservative anal retentive obstructionism.
David Eddy

Posted by: OchamsRazor | October 18, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

One word comes to mind Dave....Poppycock.

Posted by: bertzel | October 18, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bertzel | October

What I am preparing for is avoiding a premature apocalypse...

According to my calculations; it will be another thousand years before the Apocalypse. How I arrived at that number of years is based on The Biblical statement that to God a day is as a thousand years. Christ said, He would arise in three days. Therefore, according to God's time, Christ would arise (return) after three thousand years.
These present thousand years should be the millennium one thousand years of peace and prosperity.
I have spent forty years researching and writing four books that will be the bases of an ideal society based on the four cardinal virtues; wisdom, justice, courage and temperance. The society is called the quadphilogic society.

I went to China twenty years ago with the then president of the American Philosophical Society and several Philosophy Professors. I left my first book, Earthland: the Real and Ideal at ten universities in China. Since then China has become a dynamo of social development.
I promote critical ideas where ever I can.
My source is not only the best of mankind's understanding; it is also from a source I call "Universal Intelligence".
Many math axioms are based on Universal Truths.
I need all the help I can get publishing these important ideas.
If you do not think our present use of technology is not a threat, "Bing" Microwave Effect on Food.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | October 18, 2010 1:19 AM | Report abuse

and even tho all topics of discussion have come to a halt I would also like to add that if we did indeed do everything possible to support all human life on this planet we would end up killing ourselves due to the population explosion...I prefer to discuss the here and now. If you are preparing for an apocalypse, because that is the only way your idealistic approach may begin to take place, then one would have to sit down and 'brainstorm' ideas and solutions. This blog is not the place for that.

Posted by: bertzel | October 17, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Well perhaps you should explain what you believe 'human needs' to be and what you believe convenience to be...and for the record I do not consider abortion a matter of 'convenience.'
I heard a doctor tell his pregnant patient that if it came down to saving her life or that of the baby's he would save the baby. Now how does THAT fit in to your convenience theory? And what right would he have to make the choice of who should live or die...seems to me that should be up to the woman. Back to your commentary...what you are suggesting is too idealistic and will take many many many many years to even TRY to obtain...nice in thought tho

Posted by: bertzel | October 17, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

bertzel...in answer to your first question:
A vote for a Democrat at any level is a vote for abortion. It is not choice, it is wrong.
Posted by: quiensabe

To Quiensabe, Bertzel, and Bobbo too.

It is all about being Human...

We can be like the animals and self-destruct through survival of the fittest. We have the capacity to cause our own extinction through the careless use of our technology or we can cooperate to use our technology to keep each other alive.

People population is way beyond survival without technology. We depend on our technology for every aspect of our existence. It is necessary to use our intelligence and skills to provide a quality life for everyone on this planet.

Our technology has advanced far beyond our social skills. It is imperative that we bring our social skills from present caveman mentality to high-tech comprehension. We must have the adaptibility that is necessary to provide quality lives instead of kill each other off through neglect and conflict.

We have all of the resources and know how to do what is necessary to improve people's lives but instead we bicker over trivia, go for the greed and ignore our human responsibilities.

It is wrong thinking that is causing the disparity between our technology and our social skills.

We need to place human needs as first priority and convenience as a last priority.

It is convenient to abort unwanted children but it is our human responsibility to sustain human life and then comes the responsibility to provide a quality life for Those children.

Like it our not, in order to have civilization; it is necessary to have functional government. It is also necessary to have an efficient economic system that provides the necessary funds to support quality human live.

Jobs are what make it possible to do the things that need to be done to provide a quality life experience and support people's life style. Poverty and slavery is an abomination and must be overcome.
Human rights are an essential element of human life.

People are not all the same and if they were, life would be boring. In order to have peace and prosperity it is necessary to adapt to the variety of human characteristics and us all of people's skills and talents to provide for quality life.

We need human compassion and intelligence not human greed and maliciousness.

Posted by: OchamsRazor | October 17, 2010 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbo2

["Don't ask, don't tell? How about "Don't care"? Homosexuality has nothing to do with having your buddy's back on the battlefied. Those in uniform who have a problem with gays should find another line of work. Perhaps mall security."]

-----------------
great comment

Posted by: pararanger22 | October 17, 2010 7:19 AM | Report abuse

I hope that the Metro will be able to handle the crowd going to Colbert's gathering at the mall. Now besides Oprah, Arianne Huffington is going to bus anyone that wants to come to it from New York. And there is going to be music. Muuuuuuuusic. That is supposed to sound like Homer Simpson saying donuts. Can you just imagine what the Mall is going to look like after this shindig? Anybody plan on being civically responsible and volunteering for clean up duty? I am willing to wager that most will just take the free ride from New York and sightsee in D.C..

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 17, 2010 7:14 AM | Report abuse

gee, i must have missed the evening news, what station were you watching?
I'm going to catch the real world...sunset...good evening.

Posted by: bertzel | October 16, 2010 6:53 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the USA is going to have the best defended malls in the world. Didn't the islamofascists threaten to blow up some a couple of years ago?

Posted by: billybeer6 | October 16, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

The judge doesn't have to agree to a stay pending the appeal in the DADT case. In fact the longer this trial run of not litigating cases under the old law goes, the easier it will be when it becomes fully and finally repealed, which our country is demanding more and more every day.

Stories on bullying and teen suicides, the agonies of closeted gays, the contradictions of moral codes where truth is central to honorable service, but not disclosing this one aspect to personal identity is also mandated - yes, the writings on the wall here...

Posted by: thanksforfish | October 16, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

I've had an idea for awhile - instead of Metro listing all the elevator and escalator outages on the electronic signs they should simply list those that are working - it would save time and the signs could then be used for what they were designed for, to show the arrival times of the trains.

Posted by: dre7861 | October 16, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Metro = Making Everyone Totally Regret Our (commute)

Posted by: LFS1952 | October 16, 2010 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 16, 2010 10:19 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the visual bobbo2 : )

Posted by: bertzel | October 16, 2010 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Install slides in place of the escalators. That would be fun. They could have a giant catchers mitt at the bottom with a Nationals logo on it.

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 16, 2010 2:31 AM | Report abuse

Oh come on Toles, maybe that is the government's way of saying you need to excerise more...I mean really. I myself will take the stairs OR walk the escalators 9 times out of 10.
I see the 'gay issue' has been on the blog for a few days now...why doesn't anyone seriously address that issue?? Too tough to handle? I could tell a story in dealing with the 'gay pride festival' but I'd be talking to myself yet again so I won't bother...
Dude had a good point tho..what???

Posted by: bertzel | October 15, 2010 9:52 PM | Report abuse

Cute.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | October 15, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse

Guess you didn't learn anything from Rhee, the only thing the unions want is no competition. Escalators and elevators burn carbon so just think about how much you're helping the environment. The war is lost.

Posted by: billybeer6 | October 15, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse