Unfinished business

By Tom Toles

c_10192010.gif

***
Cheney did it

You know that kind of story where the writer tries to be clever in making you think he's writing about one thing that plays to your preconceptions but then switches in the next paragraph to surprise you? The trouble with this type of story is often that the headline writer ignores the device and gives the game away before it even starts. This is one of those times!

A famous vice president interested in the climate issue changed the debate in a dramatic way. While others slumbered, he worked tirelessly, but although his supporters praised him, he played fast and loose with the science and became part of a conspiracy to fool the public for political purposes! AL GORE, right???

No! DICK CHENEY! Did you guess right? Of course you did, because I told you in the headline that I wrote myself just to make this post into a piece of complicated conceptual art! --Tom Toles
***
sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_10192010.gif

By Tom Toles  | October 19, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Economy and jobs
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Monopoly, foreclosure-style
Next: New mandate

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

I see there was a bit of excitement at the Pentagon this morn....anyone see Dave? :0

Posted by: bertzel | October 19, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Obama - Pelosi 2012 (Please)

Posted by: jahoby | October 19, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

TT -- you were being funny, weren't you?? A little too funny.

Posted by: dudeupnorth | October 19, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: donpaluh | October 18, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I have to say it's unusually quiet this morning.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | October 19, 2010 9:30 AM | Report abuse

Nostradamus 2012 ~~~ Wonder what kind of political views he had?

Posted by: JONAHandtheFISH | October 19, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

By the way...I don't think one pointing finger is going to fill that hole.

Posted by: bertzel | October 19, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Palin - O'Donnell 2012

Posted by: Gurduloo | October 19, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Re: Cheney - Rice 2012

I can't see Cheyney as ever being the head of the ticket. As Vice-President he was his own branch of government

Posted by: Rudesan | October 19, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh to be able to take back the word gay and use it to describe how I am currently feeling. How much time do you think will have to pass before that happens?

Posted by: bertzel | October 19, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love today's outtake!

Posted by: billh39 | October 19, 2010 6:27 AM | Report abuse

Obama-Gore 2012

Posted by: bobbo2 | October 19, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

After reading the rant, I was pretty sure that Tom wrote this specifically to draw the usual fire here. I'll just say that Al Gore is one heck of a hoaxter: I don't know how managed to crank up the temperatures this summer to back up his crazy theories, but here in NY, and around the world, we broke high temperature records not touched since 2006!

Posted by: donpaluh | October 18, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

I hesitate to post a comment here. I do appreciate your focus on human-driven climate change, but this comments section seems mainly to provide a forum for the outrageous claims of the climate change deniers. Some useful back and forth does take place, but does anyone really change sides in this "debate" based on what they learn from readers' comments?

Posted by: tenor | October 18, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse