Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 11/19/2010

Brake dancing

By Tom Toles

c_11192010.gif

***

Friday rant: Spite, nose, face edition

Okay, people hate Obama. And they hate him a lot, judging by many of the comments received here. They hate him in a way that is demonstrably blind. Here is one example, which obviously is a meme from somewhere in the right-wing fast-breeder reactor, because it seems to be repeated a lot. It's that Obama can't speak without a teleprompter. This is so absolutely fantastical to anyone who has seen him discuss policy in detail, and without consulting even notes written on his hand, that malicious smearing is the one and only interpretation available.

A more generalized but equally telling example is the way he has been attacked on the deficit, where his predecessor, with cookie-jar hands and face, and crumbs all down the front of his tie, shirt, pants, shoes and socks was allowed to ride off scot-free into the red-ink sunset on his mountain bike to write a book about his decision-making. This frantic frothing over the deficit that coincided exactly with the election of a Democratic president, unaccompanied by any sensible program for actually resolving it, is, shall we say, highly suggestive of an animus that goes well beyond policy analysis.

And now we have the current chapter, the newly elected beneficiaries of anti-Obama rage, arriving in Washington with all the internal contradictions that true-believing can camouflage. With a pretty clear commitment to oppose the president on ANY substantive undertaking that could conceivably make Obama appear to be successful in any way going into 2012. This appears to include things that could benefit, um, like, you know, Americans, such as a growing economy. Enjoy the grapefruit of your wrath. --Tom Toles

***
sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_11192010.gif

By Tom Toles  | November 19, 2010; 12:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Machine politics
Next: Trouble brewing

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

dave, by not being ABLE to CORRECTLY answer my initial question...you have answered my question.
go figure...
Posted by: bertzel

My Question Is...
Why????????????
What is there you did not understand about my answers?
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | November 22, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

go figure...

Posted by: bertzel | November 22, 2010 6:38 PM | Report abuse

Nice comment dave, however not the answer to my question...
Posted by: bertzel

What Question...???
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | November 22, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice comment dave, however not the answer to my question...

Posted by: bertzel | November 22, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Why?
Posted by: bertzel

My Reply...
Because people were not intended to be wild animals tearing at each others throats to survive.
We were intended to be rational people who care about each other and do what is right and good not what is convenient and greedy.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | November 21, 2010 8:12 PM | Report abuse

Why?

Posted by: bertzel | November 21, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

We don't always reap what we sow Dave... just sayin' and you did not answer my question.
Posted by: bertzel

My Question...
What question?

Posted by: OchamsRazor | November 21, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Sowwwww you think you are reaping your way to, gee, I don't know, Heaven???

Posted by: bertzel | November 20, 2010 9:11 AM | Report abuse

against my better judgement.
Dave, WHY?
Posted by: bertzel

My Reply...
Could it be that your judgment is impared by your disconnect from reality?
The answer to "why?" is because we reap what we sow.

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 20, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

against my better judgement.
Dave, WHY?

Posted by: bertzel | November 19, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

I love having Barack Obama as our president. He is thoughtful, intelligent, willing to listen to all advisors, decisive, and is doing one fine job as our leader. I don't agree with 100% of is policies, but he has been the right person at the right time in history to be our president. Now, to make sure you understand, I was a military officer (Vietnam era), I am retired from working as an engineer for a major Defense contractor (35 years), and I pay attention to politics. The current political discourse is some of the most hateful and dishonest I have ever been subjected to (I am 63). I hope and pray that this nonsense will pass and the voting public will demand truth from their candidates and their news sources.
BTW, I look forward to your great editorial cartoons. Keep them coming.

Posted by: orinski | November 19, 2010 8:22 PM | Report abuse

Nope, you're right, no other president has faced the same kind of hatred as Obummo (yeah right!).
Posted by: ATrueChristian

My Reply...
My read on your status as a Christian is that if you supported the Bush/Cheney second election knowing that Bush/Cheney had started a preemptive war (shock and Awe) based on lies and distorted information that got millions of innocent people killed including many of our troups and had turned Iraq into a permanent war zone you are a pseudo Christian.
By the time the second election came along; it was obvious that Bush/Cheney would do nothing about obortion.
Many Christians supported Bush/Cheney purely as a matter of fear and self-deception.
Many Christians along with a lot of other so called Christians sold their souls for a sense of false security. Instead of repenting, many Christians are in denial and still supporting death and destruction to force the coming of Christ so that He will solve all of their problems. That is not going to happen for a long time and in the mean time we will all suffer the torment of revelations.
Personally, I prefer that we follow Christ's teachings and enjoy a thousand years of peace and prosperity.
Christ came NOT into the world to condemn the world but that it might be SAVED.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 19, 2010 6:11 PM | Report abuse

ATrueChristian: There was talk about impeaching Bush for war crimes because, well, war crimes were committed under his watch. He even said he personally gave the go-ahead for waterboarding (which, ahem, is torture).

It used to be conservatives and Christians opposed, even reviled such barbary on principle. Ah, well. It's really unsatisfying to be better than your enemies, I guess.

The problem is that there's no inquiry into the accusations' validity. Saying Bush committed war crimes when he knowingly, proudly did isn't the same as saying Obama is a socialist when he's not. That, to me, is the real difference: Republicans want to be judged on their *intentions* not the outcome. Bush didn't *intend* to be a bad guy, so he wasn't. Palin doesn't *intend* to mispronounce words, so she doesn't. Obama doesn't *intend* to love America, so he must not. Never mind the figures, never mind the facts, never mind the records. It's all just a bunch of touchy-feely nonsense and narrative for the right wing. You don't care what happens, you just want to be told you're right, you're brave, you're favored, you're bold, you're selfless, your fear is rational and your pride is flawless.

You can say Bush was hated all you want to, but his approval ratings were soaring for a long while. He was given every chance, every deference from the Democratic Party. For years. Years and years.

How that's hatred is a mystery to me.

Posted by: mjgf | November 19, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Reductio ad absurdum, I can think of a lot of countries with high taxes and a strong federal government that provide adequate (or better) services to their population and provide decently for the general welfare... that are also nice places to live.

On the other side of that coin, where are the countries with low taxes and a weak federal government that are also nice places to live?
Are dissatisfied Libertarians and Conservatives flocking to them? Do they even exist? I think not. If not, why not?

Dave puts it well when he says, "The only source of what anyone wants is central government. That is the way civilization functions."
That is also what Federalism is about, and what makes this country great (when it IS great).

So, yes, LET'S get back to that!

Posted by: jonroesler | November 19, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Is this some sort of poll Toles???
If it is, it is one of dumbest, ok, maybe Not THE Dumbest, but....yeah, one of the dumbest ones yet!!
Glad I don't participate in polls : )

Posted by: bertzel | November 19, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

"Okay, people hate Obama. And they hate him a lot, judging by many of the comments received here."

The extremists on the right wing fringe don't hate Obama because he's liberal. They don't hate him because he's articulate. They don't hate him because he's educated.

They hate him because he's "uppity".

Posted by: seattle_wa | November 19, 2010 2:13 PM | Report abuse

The 2000 election debacle was going to cause some sore feelings no matter what. And, by the way, if I remember right, the deal on the recount was if they used the Gore team's recount parameters, Bush wins, if they use the Bush team's, Gore wins, so there you go. Yeah there were people who felt, and still feel, the election was stolen. It fairly quickly lost any kind of legitimate value as far as criticism of the president though, because it was pointless and stupid to harp on it.

However, none of that matters in this case because guess what, Obama won. Fair and square, no question. More people voted for Obama, more states went to him, more electoral votes, everything. He won. There is no question of his legitimacy, period.

Yes Bush faced much criticism and even "bashing" from many on the left. We criticized his policies vehemently. We made fun of his boob-like ways and his inability to speak coherently. Yes, Oliver Stone made a movie which no one saw and the South Park guys made a TV show no one watched. Big deal.

The way Obama is being treated far different. The way Bush was treated as compared to even Clinton is far different. Clinton was mercilously "gone after" for anything, anything at all.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 19, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I've been voting since 1968 and I've never seen such hate directed at any President.
They've called him a Muslim, questioned his citizenship, called him a socialist, and worse. Fox spends 24/7 bashing and distorting Obama - with a vengeance.
Republicans vote no against agenda they've supported in the past. It's disgraceful.
I totally support President Obama and I hope he tells Republicans to shove it!
_______________________

Obviously, then, you fell asleep during the Bush presidency? Right after his election in 2000, the demoncraps tried to undermine him by saying he was "appointed" by the SCOTUS. Even ignoring the fact that the Post and other newspapers published a story that when the Florida votes were counted by several newspaper organizations who bought the ballots and recounted them, that Gore lost all but two re-counts in which the votes were counted in ways that were most favorable to him. Even the method that Gore's lawyers were advocating to use, the re-count by the media showed that he lost in Florida.

Then we have all the calls for Bush to be impeached, tried as a war criminal, etc. That Bush was only Chaney's puppet, films were made about Bush to make him look bad, etc.

Posted by: ATrueChristian | November 19, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

It seems that the impression is that the President is hated, but nor by everyone. What do you expect with all these Joseph Goebbels wannabes on conservative talk radio constantly spewing their hate messages and the brainwashed idiots that listen to them, One example even has the body of another noted figure, Hermann Goering.

Posted by: beedlejpott | November 19, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

except Bush Must be a sign of the times

Plus Americans do not want the expansion of Big Government under Obama Pelosi and Ried.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 19, 2010 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I totally support President Obama and I hope he tells Republicans to shove it!

Posted by: bozhogg | November 19, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

I've watched the republicans for the last twenty months carry their single minded hate for the President of the United States to the exclusion of all else . Even the terrible plight they have laid before the American people is nothing to them . So I have to wonder ...
Would they hate him this much if he was white . Some how I don't think so .

Posted by: eddie273273 | November 19, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

"Conservative means nothing unless you specify what you are conserving."

I think they are conserving thought.

Perhaps you didn't know this, but we are each allocated a limited number of brainwaves. The smartest among us conserve them, squirreling them away in the nooks and crannies of our craniums, saving them for the proverbial rainy day.

Posted by: bsimon1 | November 19, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Lemmings don't actually run off cliffs. It's a myth which I believe was started by a Disney nature film, during which producers had crewmembers hurl lemmings off a cliff.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 19, 2010 10:02 AM | Report abuse

Now that Obama has fallen off his white horse and not immediately(or nearly) repaired all of the devastation left by his predecessor, the racists who have barely tolerated seeing his black face(more like mocha or almond) being eloquent and reasonable(almost too reasonable - let's have some irrational comments:"make my day" or reach some bizarre conclusions:"WMD","mission accomplished") have now turned into a lynch mob dying to hang the SOB. If this also accelerates the spiraling of country towards 3rd world status, then that will only provide the justification for the hanging.

Posted by: PlumHunter | November 19, 2010 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Mr Toles, I really do wish you'd respond to this question:

How on Earth can a person (you!) who was so keenly aware of Bush's mixture of dullness and psychopathy be apparently completely oblivious to Obama's choice to channel Bush in every horrible way? How?

The differences between them are trivial compared to the similarities, which in Obama's case began with his anti-progressive cabinet picks and have only got worse since then.

How can someone like you possibly ignore that?

Posted by: _Mairead | November 19, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

Love the rant; don't quiiiite get the cartoon.
Who's driving?

Posted by: GeneTouchet | November 19, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

And all along some people thought the government was fluoridating the water to control them. It was really a far right group of evil corporate engineers programming their GPS units.

Posted by: pjohn2 | November 19, 2010 8:15 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Toles is discouraged again and I can see why. But please have some hope. In a cartoon, even a pig can fly. So why not cars, too.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | November 19, 2010 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Conservative Republicans are radically unpatriotic: they say we need to keep taxes low so that we continue to have to hock ourselves to China; they block and/or rail against all efforts to help our flaming economy so that Obama can not claim credit; they divide the country and flirt with talk of secession instead of working together and trying to unite. These people are dangerous and insane.

Posted by: pdurand | November 19, 2010 6:23 AM | Report abuse

This cartoon wins most accurate of the year because liberals, aka progressives, Democrats and or lemmings have run everything over the cliff sort of like one of those old Sioux buffalo hunts off Chimney Rock. Except libs are dependent on government for subsistence.

Posted by: jornolibist | November 19, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

P.S. I am Libertarian but conservative.
Posted by: dalyplanet

P.S. Conservative means nothing unless you specify what you are conserving. Are you conserving resources, money, gas, energy or what?
The Republicans do not provide liberty; they provide slaves for their beloved corporations that pay for their elections.
The only source of what anyone wants is central government. That is the way civilization functions. Otherwise, all there would be is chaos.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 19, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

Why do you hate Republicans so much. Most of us want the same thing but not from a centralized source but with choice.
P.S. I am Libertarian but conservative.
Posted by: dalyplanet

My Reply...
I do not hate Republicans; I hate what they are doing to our nation.
The Republicans are doing more damage to our nation's social systems than any outside force could do.
The Republicans have undermined our economic system making it possible for greedy parasites to empty our treasury, cause us trillions of dollars of debt and make a bundle on a war that killed millions of people. They have called themselves conservatives when in fact they are wasting our resources, destroying our industry and destabilizing our economy.
The Republicans have put millions of families under the threat of becoming homeless and poverty stricken. All of these families have Children that are stressed due to circumstances out of control.
The Republicans have made preemptive war acceptable which will legitimize self- serving wars that will lead to unending wars as a means to control other nations and support military/industrial complexes.
The Republicans are setting us up for hell on earth.
Other than that; I think they could be trying to do what is right and good But like Christ said about the Jews, "They do not know what they do!"
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 19, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

Right wing may hate Obama but most of the American public does not hate him, they are disappointed. It was OK to take up healthcare reform as his first act but to rule out public agency and provide billions of public dollars to same insurance companies that have been fattening their own pay checks at the expense of public health was ridiculous.

He managed to pass healthcare reform but the effort took so long and resulted in so little improvement in the health care system that most people thought it is not worth the effort.

Same on the Financial reform. He got it passed but with so little effect that people do not know if we shall get into similar financial crisis next year.

Problem is that Mr. Obama as the president does not only have to lead the nation, he should also spend some time explaining people what he has done and why! A president must lead the nation in the right direction and at the same time he must explain how the nation will benefit from this change.

If you just make changes without bringing the people with you one is likely to get the shellacking that Mr. Obama got.

Posted by: kirtbhatt1 | November 18, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

...while clad in a slicker and flip flops to make it through security in the USA.

Posted by: billybeer6 | November 18, 2010 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Dave

P.S. I am Libertarian but conservative.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 18, 2010 8:49 PM | Report abuse

There might be some agreement that having the Congress, Senate, and President, all being Democrat might have "clouded" the agenda for the "People of America" as would the opposite. Ozymandius syndrome.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 18, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

But now some reasonable dialog on issues needing to be discussed and certainly some backlash on Mulberry Bush spending from newly elected republicans. Perhaps some chance of more than a "one hit wonder" depending on "leadership" demonstrated by the current occupant. We all need a statesman to effectively LEAD us back on track with inspiration. Obama is an exceptional orator but he needs to concentrate on the needs of Americans, (jobs and fostering a positive attitude regarding our economy) and not getting a liberal agenda into law (expanding the federal government). This is possible now with a centered bipartisan president.

Ignore the talking heads from both sides of the media. Lead with conviction and the best interest in the workers of America and our economy, not concern about reelection, is the best formula for restoring American jobs and greatness.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 18, 2010 8:11 PM | Report abuse

I understand what you are saying...what I don't understand is the term "good government"....care to describe what exactly you mean by 'good government'?

Posted by: bertzel | November 18, 2010 8:04 PM | Report abuse

By Tom Toles

My Reply...
I really doubt anyone hates Obama; he is very likeable.
The problem is that he likes the Republicans and wants their support. They think (which has been proved to be true) that in order to get back in power, they cannot support Obama. The Republicans have supported the "Tea Party" for political advantage to their disgrace because of the disgraceful attacks on Obama.
Obama's inability to concentrate his efforts on the Changes he promised and his "when ever" attitude has cost him the support of his best constituents.
We are all watching the lemmingmobiles drive off the cliff and are powerless to do anything.
Many former supporters of Obama see him as supporting the rich and powerful; ignoring the plight of the working people.
Obama's failure to take action on the unemployment situation was a fatal error both politically and ethically.
We will all suffer the consequences.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 18, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

President Obama is seeing the axis of like-minds in the world and is busy forming a coalition beyond the US. So naturally, he'll be hated. The weeds hate the wheat, but will be pulled out in the end.

The black sheep follow the one at the cliff edge. But do the sheep actually hate? Imagine those going to a "prayer meeting" that is hijacked by a false prophet that hypnotizes them to "hate" the president or what good government stands for? That would be equivalent of what's going on now. Not hate, so much as programming and repetition.

Posted by: Tony-KS | November 18, 2010 7:06 PM | Report abuse

What, it's only just dawning on you Tom that the hate for Pres. Obama is utterly insane? (BTW: some of the hate for Pres. Bush was equally insane but no surprise the extremes of both ends of our political spectrum are a little flakey). All of this started 2 months before he was elected president. Same then as now. It's totally insane. Except of course for the fact that the people pushing this insanity make obscene amounts of money selling it to people. Always was a sucker born every min. Seems more like every 15 secs in texas and the surrounding areas but that's another matter.

Posted by: kchses1 | November 18, 2010 6:31 PM | Report abuse

One of the things that bothers me is the "Messiah" stuff. I voted for the guy. I liked what he said and the positions he took on the issues. I thought he was a better choice than the other guy. I still support him, and I give him credit for doing a lot of exactly what he said he would, and I criticize him for not doing some things he said he would, and some things I say OK those can wait until we're done with this other thing.

I did not blindly fall under his charms into some kind of worshipful belief of what this president was or what he could or could not accomplish. I know what he said he wanted to do about governing and reaching across the aisle, and from what I saw, he tried to do just that. In return he got a "our way or the highway" in response. No effort at compromise, no alternative ideas, just "No."

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 18, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse