De-escalator claws

By Tom Toles

c_11022010.gif

A dime's worth of difference

Is there any difference between the parties? The knowing, conventional-wisdom, inside-the-beltway types, together with bored, cynical outside-the beltway types, are already shrugging about the election. Sure, the Democrats will be drubbed, which is actually a word that is rarely seen in its verb form. But just wait till those GOP victory parties are over, and the fresh-faced innocents walk up the Capitol gang plank into the congressional meat-packing house, goes the current narrative, and the brewing revolution will turn out to be weak tea, indeed.

This analysis may have something to it, but like most analyses, it's missing something. But I think maybe this analysis misses EVERYTHING. Today, at least, my autumn-darkened frame of mind is making me think that the usual bickering and log-jamming in Congress is all beside the point now. The real battle is in the third branch of government and may be over and lost already.

And that's because the substantive, functional difference between the parties now, it is clear to any who would like to look, is that the GOP installs Supreme Court justices who are ruling to make U.S. elections a fully-funded subsidiary of corporate America, which will be collecting legislative repayment from their duly purchased employees. It came at a small price to them, but wait till the rest of us see the bill. --Tom Toles

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_11022010.gif

By Tom Toles  | November 2, 2010; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Metro
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hope against hope
Next: Run and hit

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Maybe it has something to do with a guilty conscience.
Dave
Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 1, 2010 7:53 PM

Dave, maybe YOU would be better off going to confession today....I heard it works wonders.
Posted by: bertzel

My Reply...
What is to confess?
God knows my mind as well as everyone else's mind.
We are an open book.

We only deceive ourselves and other people.
We are a nation of deceivers.
Obama deceived everyone with his promise of Change. He made sure the ship of state remained on the coarse set by the Republicans. Everything he has accomplished has been to the benefit of Repulicorps. The house has gone to his beloved Republicans and now he can imagine himself the great uniter when in fact we are now more divided than ever.
We are officially an oligarchy run by a corporation.
My sympathy goes out to the poor, the underemployed and the unemployed as we are now a third world nation.
Congratulations.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 3, 2010 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Hey billy....ass.

Posted by: bertzel | November 2, 2010 10:22 PM | Report abuse

'twas a done deal...chin up and move on.

Posted by: bertzel | November 2, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Can't wait to hear the whining on "Democracy Now" tomorrow. The garden has been pruned for winter.

Posted by: chaunceygardener | November 2, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Looks like freedom is opening up a 6 pack of whoop A$$ tonight. Keep up the great work Republicans a 60+ seat pick up in the House.

Posted by: billybeer6 | November 2, 2010 9:14 PM | Report abuse

Cantor wins??? The Proof will be in the pudding.Then who will you blame

Posted by: vacarollm | November 2, 2010 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Too bad for all of us whose income is less than $250,000/yr.
OUR particular segment will continue to grow in size and shrink in income.
Thanks a lot, "Extreme" Court!

Posted by: lufrank1 | November 2, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Well put, Toles.
Russell Pearce, the state senator who introduced the Arizona Immigration Reform bill on behalf of Corrections Corporation of America (and friends) is already congratulating himself that it's a slam-dunk for being upheld by the SCOTUS.

As was the Citizens United decision.

Looks like the door is open for state legislators to pass any corporation-friendly legislation their contributors will write for them and they can get past their houses and governor, and can be confident it will be upheld at the top and there's really nothing we can do.

We'll see.

Funny... Hamilton, Jay and Madison were sure there was basically no threat of this ever happening, because the men (and women) appointed to the SC are so much more honorable than that. Was a time...

Posted by: jonroesler | November 2, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

And today none of the escalators were working...yeah metro!

Posted by: jpc32 | November 2, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

What sop. Big Bird could probably influence you to lay an egg.

Posted by: pararanger22 | November 2, 2010 9:17 AM
since I'm not a bird I don't think that possible...If I were Big Bird tho I would love to fly above your head and drop one on you. And If I were Big Bird...I would indeed fly. too much tv pararanger???

Posted by: bertzel | November 2, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Years ago the cartoonist Walt Kelly had his character Pogo say "We have met the enemy and he is us." He was right.

Posted by: jkdion | November 2, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Oligarchy by proxy and we, the mindless munchkins...

Posted by: thanksforfish | November 2, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Good comment TT. The SCOTUS has become the go-to crew for every single awful conservative idea. And it mostly comes down to one issue for the 5; what decision should we make that will make more money for wealthy Republicans?

I wonder how the court would be shaped if the Senators charged with "advise and consent" weren't dominated by the wealthy. How about a Senate of ordinary Americans (not of the Palin type). There ARE ordinary Americans who are smart, who read, who can name a SCOTUS decision or two. But no one with any integrity, intelligence, civility, or an altruistic philosophy wants anything to do with being a Senator. It's become a toxic job occupied by mostly toxic people, the majority of whom are millionaires. And we're about to kick out the few who seem to stand up when it counts (e.g. Feingold), and replace them with even more wealthy millionaires.

I've heard some of the up-and-comings talk. I guess "smart" and "able to make lots of money" don't necessarily go hand in hand. In my more outlandish dreams, I imagine a Senate (and House, for that matter) filled with humanitarians, philanthropists, community-builders, and genuine public servants. Oh how are country would change. Silly childish dreams...

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | November 2, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

jhnnywalkr,

I don't agree with you that he meant the character and not the actor. Inter alia, to use your argument that Stewart was beloved, well, so was the character Mr. Smith. I don't recall ever hearing or reading something from anyone critical of 'Mr. Smith.' I think the poster (GaryEMasters) deserved a rebuttal and he got it.
If you read any of my other posts in WP blogs, you'll find I debate the issues. But I'm quite partial to the memory of one of our true American heroes, Jimmy Stewart - the poster deserved to be challenged.

Posted by: pararanger22 | November 2, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

What have you done for your country?

Idiot.

Posted by: pararanger22 | November 2, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

He was clearly referring to the character. Why would you reply with this? I mean if you really just want to defend Jimmy Stewart, fine, but I don't think he needs it. He's pretty universally loved. I know I love watching his movies.

Why wouldn't you choose a valid argument, is what I'm asking, instead of reaching out to find some non sequitur to bash someone you don't agree with? A valid argument would be something like: In the film, Mr Smith winds up exposing the corruption of one of the most powerful senators and the special political interests that back him. Or that while Mr Smith didn't quite know what he was doing and was pretty naive throughout, he still managed to inspire those around him to believe the system can work and in the general goodness of the American people to do the right thing, and he held onto his ideals even to the end when it appeared he couldn't prevail. I don't know I haven't seen the movie in a while, so I'm going on memory here.

Or, you know, a fine argument against his statement would be "It was a freaking movie, not real life."

It's a great movie though. I've got it at home maybe I'll watch it tonight.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 2, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Point taken. Thank you Mr. Toles.
You have just given me that reason to vote yet again.

Posted by: bertzel

--------------------------

What sop. Big Bird could probably influence you to lay an egg.

Posted by: pararanger22 | November 2, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who wants a sea of "fresh faces" in Congress ought to watch "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" again. Stewart was a fool and pretty much stayed that way.

Posted by: GaryEMasters

---------------

Since you wrote 'Stewart' and not 'Smith', I will assume that you meant the actor and not the character.

Thus, you are an unpatriotic moron, to whit:

"Jimmy Stewart won the DSC in WWII. As a means to inspire his new group, Stewart flew as command pilot in the lead B-24 on numerous missions deep into Nazi-occupied Europe. These missions went uncounted at Stewart's orders. His "official" total is listed as 20 and is limited to those with the 445th. In 1944, he twice received the Distinguished Flying Cross for actions in combat and was awarded the Croix de Guerre. He also received the Air Medal with three oak leaf clusters. In July 1944, after flying 20 combat missions, Stewart was made Chief of Staff of the 2nd Combat Bombardment Wing of the Eighth Air Force. Before the war ended, he was promoted to colonel, one of very few Americans to rise from private to colonel in four years."

-- Wikipedia

What have you done for your country?

Idiot.

Posted by: pararanger22 | November 2, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

Maybe it has something to do with a guilty conscience.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 1, 2010 7:53 PM

Posted by: bertzel | November 2, 2010 8:45 AM | Report abuse

Most pertinent blog posting in months!
Defang the SC(r)OTUS 5!
(Is that a mixed metaphor?)

Posted by: GeneTouchet | November 2, 2010 8:17 AM | Report abuse

"This election might prove that people do vote against their own best interests."

True but not hopeless.

They do have other elections in the future. And voters casn learn from mistakes.

Just be careful for what they learn.

There is a list of eight things people believe that just ain't so.

The probem is with those who never see what went wrong and keep thinking they need more votes in the Congress to set it right.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | November 2, 2010 8:13 AM | Report abuse

"No wonder Democrats in Congress extended unemployment benefits again because they are the ones who are going to be collecting soon. Bada Boom!"

The night club sound effects are appropriate for a joke. And it is. They don't need no stinking benefits for unemployment. Have you checkied out the Congressional retirement plan?

Whooo Hooo.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | November 2, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: GaryEMasters | November 2, 2010 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Absolutely right on with your comment on how the Republicans have cleverly taken control of the courts, and it is not just decisions concerning elections but many others concerning, for example, workers rights that are going the corporate way. Republicans have been able to get away with installing right wingers, Dems don't seem to be able to put in liberals... at best center or only slightly left. There is probably no issue more important in the 2012 Presidential elections than the ability to keep installing judges on the Supreme Court.

Posted by: moore_te | November 2, 2010 1:23 AM | Report abuse

Unions spend all their time siphoning dues and campaigning to elect Democrats and forgot to maintain the escalator. Bada Bam!!

Posted by: jornolibist | November 1, 2010 9:28 PM | Report abuse

I came to DC for the sanity rally. I'm sad to say that I now "get" all Tom Toles' Metro comics. He is on point with this as he is with most things. I hope his work has some impact on the situation.

Posted by: donpaluh | November 1, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Me thinks there was a movie called, "needful People" where people got what they wanted and it turned out to be a disaster.
Then, there is the saying, "A fool and his money are soon parted".
There is also the saying, "be careful what you pray for, you might be better off without it".
This election might prove that people do vote against their own best interests.
Maybe it has something to do with a guilty conscience.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 1, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

Your drawing is a pretty accurate depiction of what happened. I was on that escalator and it DID speed up before it stopped. Luckily, I wasn't hurt but I kept thinking is this an act of God or Metro neglience. They made sure we paid our fare before telling us to move on.

Posted by: nicety251 | November 1, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Point taken. Thank you Mr. Toles.
You have just given me that reason to vote yet again.

Posted by: bertzel | November 1, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse