Watering can massacre

By Tom Toles

c_11042010.gif

***

Again

Waiting for Speaker Boehner's announcement that he will throw all the lobbyists out of his office and forbid their return? THAT will signal that the cozy ways of Washington are over as the voters have demanded!

Still waiting? The same speech will no doubt outline the details of the GOP plan to cut that bad old deficit!

Still waiting? GUESS WHY! Same reason as last time! Because there is no there there in the GOP tidal wave other than the where where? That was there before. Because their program is still this: Tax cuts will save the economy AND pay for themselves, unless they don't, in which case, as Dick Cheney said, "deficits don't matter," unless Democrats are in charge, in which case they are the only thing that matters. AND if you remove the regulations that are hamstringing the Atlases in the financial industry, THEN you will get a robust economy, unless what you get instead is the economic collapse of 2008, which is what we actually DID get, and now we have come all the way around the mulberry bush once again. The George W. Mulberry Bush. The voters have spoken. They have gone back to Casablanca, for the waters. Perhaps they were misinformed, again. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_11042010.gif

By Tom Toles  | November 4, 2010; 12:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Run and hit
Next: Opening position

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

So glad to hear Bertzel, if only our politicians would take the time to talk about fixing things instead of golfing with people who have the most and want even more. Sadly I am not confident that will happen.

Posted by: KCHam | November 5, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I so agree KCHam. I so agree...

Posted by: bertzel | November 5, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

~~~ So which one is the problem with sending our economy overseas.~~~
Not sure I understand your last statement...I would say tho that both the government and large corporations are to blame...government gave them the free pass to cheap labor/goods and big business took it... I also know that most of the components in this very computer I am using are made in China...found that out the hard way ; )

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

----------------------

As you have found out corporations are utilizing overseas manufacturers for many items, often this results in American workers losing jobs or reductions in pay and benefits. Globalization has been pushed by business for over a decade now and the fruits are coming to bear. We can continue to look forward to a change in American employment from a production/manufacturing to a service economy with large disparities in pay. It is great to get cheap products but we pay for it in loss of jobs for the people lacking a degree. Often we now are seeing degreed people taking lower level service jobs because we do not have enough jobs for them that make use of their degree. I have seen this personally happen to family and friends several times in the last decade and very likey you have as well. Several rules that protected American workers should be reinstated IMO but business will fight that as much as they fight unions.
My point was that we as workers in this country do not control where our products are made or obtained by business. We can always look for an American label but when our wages are declining and costs increasing, most people will look at the price first, even if it ultimately is not in our best interest.
Government is as you say responsible for setting the rules, I wish they would stop kowtowing to the businesses and give the citizen some thought.

Posted by: KCHam | November 5, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Go back to what you seem to do best - pout - and let the informed adults on this blog debate with folks that actually have something worthwhile to say (you might try the Disney Winnie the Pooh site and have a blog fest with Eeyore...).
Posted by: pararanger22

My Reply,
You are the one with the brass and no brains like Winnie the Pooh. You have your ass stuck in the rabbit hole.
I was in the military and have also worked as a military civilian for the Navy.
I was on my way to fight in Korea with my rifle zeroed in and my gear packed when I was called out to stay in Japan as an assistant to General Mark D. Clark at Far East Command.
while I was in Japan, I learned Judo and Jujitsu from the Chief of Police of Tokyo City. I earned my black belt and have taught martial arts most of my adult life.
I fought in the Judo AAU unlimited weight division. If you think I am a light weight, guess again.
My brother was a paratrooper and had a candlestick, landed on another parachute and had a hard landing that damaged his legs.
I would think being military, you would not appreciate the Republicans starting a preemptive war based on lies and getting a lot of G.I's killed fighting a no win war for the oil companies.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 5, 2010 2:47 AM | Report abuse

Wisconsin's infrastructure is already faltering. The resident's are constantly paying more for less. A lot of the cost is an 'added' expense from the residents out of pocket and not just from taxes. And yes, the education system has been on a downswing for several years now.

~~~ So which one is the problem with sending our economy overseas.~~~

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I can belliev you on your Federal income tax but not all the other tax that abounds. Wisconsin is one of the highest taxed states in the country.

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 5:57 PM

------------------

As a resident of Wisconsin as PrairieDog60 is, I can say that Wisconsin while high though not the highest. It is also a state with a good infrastructure, educational system, etc.. These are at risk due the tax aversion of conservative voters. We will be OK for a few years but when things are neglected due to lack of funds they will start to fail or function properly. We ask government to never raise more money and demand the work be done for less, but when are we going to do the same with the corporations that are so huge they could care less what the citizens want and will raise prices yearly whether they need to or not. I think you are paying more for nearly everything you buy, why do do you think government does not face the same problem. Every worker in the government is probably spending every cent they make in this country, but the companies they are buying from are often buying from China, India and so on. So which one is the problem with sending our economy overseas.

Posted by: KCHam | November 4, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

My reply...
The unions have been no more than a rubber stamp for the corporations. They have become meaningless wimps like you.
I do not have to go to Bangladesh to find poverty and pollution.
I have helped the Salvation Army deliver food to starving children here in the good old USA. I also was in town and there was a mother and dad living in their car and feeding their children popcorn for dinner.
Then there are the tent people and the people living under bridges.
When it comes to pollution, there are rivers so badly poluted in this country that they have caught on fire. We have had thousands of dead fish on beaches due to contaminated water.
You and your so called conservative friends have caused Trillions of dollars debt with your meaningless wars and greedy CEO's running government agenda.
May an elephant fly up your nose and an alligator eat your toes.
You and your malicious and phony conservative friends Should be in jail for your treason.
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 3, 2010 10:54 PM

---------------------

Dear Dave,

I've read your other posts and you seem to have blinders on from your experience in Michigan. Everyone (unions, corporations, government) is to blame for your misfortune, aren't they sad-sack? You act like you are the only person that has experienced or witnessed hard times. What hubris!

Before you start tossing out accusations of treason, you should know I fought in 2 wars for our country and am proud of it.

And another thing. I've helped (along with my kids) in plenty of homeless situations and post-hurricane operations to know what is going on in the US. As terrible as those situations may be - they are nothing like the third world. Not even close. So your predictions of the US as a 3d world country are just plain uninformed bull intended to fraudulently glorify your own experience.

Posted by: pararanger22 | November 4, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

bertzel, yes, I'm in WI. My federal income taxes for 2009 were the lowest I've ever paid (well, percentage wise...of course I paid less back when I had a job in high school, etc.) I've been making in the 30s and low 40sK for about the past 15 years, and other than the credits I got in the years when my kids were still living at home, 2009 by far represented my lowest federal income tax year.

And yes, I'm upset about Feingold. Outside money convinced residents of this state that a college dropout who married into money, became a multimillionaire because of that, and believes sunspots cause any global warming (that "might" be happening), was a better choice than the guy who bucked his party on TARP, voted against the government intrusion of the Patriot Act, and sponsored the only meaningful legislation that attempted to get corporate money out of political campaigns. A shame.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | November 4, 2010 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Everything remains the same in the Republican world, this quote says it all:

As for the Republicans — how can one regard seriously a frightened, greedy, nostalgic huddle of tradesmen and lucky idlers who shut their eyes to history and science, steel their emotions against decent human sympathy, cling to sordid and provincial ideals exalting sheer acquisitiveness and condoning artificial hardship for the non-materially-shrewd, dwell smugly and sentimentally in a distorted dream-cosmos of outmoded phrases and principles and attitudes based on the bygone agricultural-handicraft world, and revel in (consciously or unconsciously) mendacious assumptions (such as the notion that real liberty is synonymous with the single detail of unrestricted economic license or that a rational planning of resource-distribution would contravene some vague and mystical 'American heritage'...) utterly contrary to fact and without the slightest foundation in human experience? Intellectually, the Republican idea deserves the tolerance and respect one gives to the dead.

--H.P. Lovecraft (August 20, 1890 – March 15, 1937), Letter to C.L. Moore, August 1936, quoted in “H.P. Lovecraft, a Life” by S.T. Joshi, p. 574.

Posted by: KCHam | November 4, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps if those in the Health Care Profession went NPO we wouldn't be having the Mandatory Health Care/Insurance Problem....
There are other ways to solving these issues....that is if those of you who say you are for the good of the people really mean what you say....

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

~~~ My taxes are lower now then they've ever been,~~~

Really? Lower than they have EVER BEEN???
Where do you hail from....sure isn't Wisconsin...I say Wisconsin cuz you keep bringing up Feingold.

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I love the echo chamber of "government takeover" and "government intrusion". Do any of you who keep spouting that have any examples? My taxes are lower now then they've ever been, and I make $40,000 a year. Do you consider having to buy health insurance an intrusion? Everyone needs to pitch in to help costs go down. You can't have only those that can afford health insurance paying for everyone else's health care. Costs either have to go down, or you distribute the cost over a larger group. You have to buy car insurance, and have for sometime depending on what state you live in. Did you scream "government intrusion" when that happened?

And janet, are you seriously suggesting that somehow Geitner talking to John Stewart means that he was hoping to get sage advice from Stewart on the economy? Really? And then there was some big conspiracy to cover it up? Really?? Seth? Amy? Really?? Wow. The degree to which critical reality-based thinking is disappearing from the conservative mindset is incalculable these days.

And so conservatives, you won a victory this week. Now what? What are you going to do? So far we've heard "make sure Obama is a one term president" and "repeal Obamacare". Item one smacks of playground bullies and spoiled brats. Item two falls under that lack of reality I was mentioning. The Health Care Bill will never be repealed. As long as Obama is in the White House it won't happen. And even if his tenure ends in 2012, by then so many people will see the benefits of the bill (insurance companies no longer able to deny coverage to kids or put limits on your annual expenses; ability to keep your kids on your policy until age 26; etc.) that it would be political suicide for R's to try repeal it.

So...what else you got? Tax cuts for the rich. Those worked WONDERS under Bush! *RME*. Cut spending? Come on...when was the last time Rs had congress and actually cut spending? Besides, what are they going to cut. As someone else here said, "stuff...you know, wasteful stuff". Right. I don't know about you, but where I live government has cut to the bone, and it's starting to hurt ordinary folks.

I'm happy you have something to gloat about for a few days. But the reality is, no matter who is in charge, D or R, we get the government we deserve. We should have universal health care. We should be out of any foreign wars, we should be seriously curtailing carbon emissions, we should be legalizing marijuana and throwing out NAFTA. But...neither party will do these things. Ds have promise (although without Feingold, they're collective public service IQ just dropped about 100 points), but Rs have learned nothing and are simply dinosaurs, leading us to our next great extinction. I guess, if nothing else, that might be interesting to watch...if you can stay healthy and keep your job.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | November 4, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Right! Absolutely!

So sad that so many of the very ones who are hit hardest by Bush/Boehner agendas.

Doesn't speak well of the "average" American's understanding.

Posted by: lufrank1 | November 4, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Toles, keep riffing about Obama's and the Dem's economic policies being sound.

I just found another reason why the liberal rhetoric doesn't match reality.

It seems our Secretary of Treasury and former President of the New York Federal Reserve, Timothy Geithner met in a closed door meeting in April, with Jon Stewart to discuss the economy.

You can't make this stuff up! Wonder why WaPo didn't report it?

BTW, wasn't Geithner the architect of TARP in 2008 and Frank & Dodd responsible for the "bubble?" Let's blame it all on Bush. And how did that tactic work out on Tuesday?

Posted by: janet8 | November 4, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Misinformed? Try stupid.

Posted by: mdailey1 | November 4, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

So if we with Obama are going to continue with the same fiscal policies, the same defense policies, and the same domestic policies only with a HUGE expansion of government in our lives, why wouldn't the people want to go back to at least limited government intrusion in our lives? And some politicos that don't insult us.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 4, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

What intrusion are you talking about? The lower taxes for the middle class or the fact you have to buy health insurance if you don't have it already? Is this what you consider an intrusion?

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 4, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I'll just remind folks again - in 2000, the federal budget was balanced. Yes, there was still a Federal debt, but with a balanced budget there was the means to begin paying down that debt. Two things happened between 2000 and 2008 that changed the budget. Two wars that were paid for on credit and across-the-board tax cuts for which there was no comparable savings. The housing bubble crash that began the current recession was a result of lax (or no) oversight of the markets, and fed by the Gordon Gekko maxim, "greed is good". I go back to Reagan and supply-side economics. David Stockton and G.H.W. Bush both called it voo-doo economics. Still is. Tom has it right. Tax cuts without consquences just feed the deficit.

Posted by: ebtnut | November 4, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

LOL spoken like a True Christian!!!
Self interests indeed...

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

oh and dave...I commented to you on yesterdays run and hit...to lazy to bring it up to the front...go back my child, go back : )

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

"Once again Republicans have convinced the majority to vote against their self interest."
________________

And THIS is why we voted the Demoncraps out of office. It is this condenscending attitude expressed from the top (Obummo and Nancy) down to the lowest Demoncrap stooge that has turned off the electorate. Yep, you Demoncraps know what's best for us, so we owe it to you to vote you into office to make this country better for us. Yeah right! While the victory is not complete (the Senate is still in Demoncrapic hands) it was thorough enough that it should CLEARLY send a message that we don't need what you offer. In other words: WE ARE VOTING IN OUT BEST INTERESTS IT'S JUST NOT THE DEMONCRAPS BEST INTEREST!!!!!!

Posted by: ATrueChristian | November 4, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Mulberry Bush presided over a large economic expansion in the US. We got past a Tech. Bubble crash, a Stock Bubble crash and 9-11. What did him and our economy in was a Housing Bubble crash. We probably could have survived this if only it was Freddy and Fanny to bail out on 5 to 10 percent of nonperforming loans but no, we had some geniuses that figured out that hedging mortgage securities like corn or soybeans would be good. This was not good because unlike corn the producer of the product is not part of the hedge, when the housing is built the builder is gone. Big banking and insurance thought that the mortgage securities were the product. The only way to maintain the hedge is a new crop every year and when housing construction declined the whole thing collapsed leaving huge margin calls on worthless paper. 10 times the damage than just the foreclosures alone and the mortgages themselves traded so many times as to be nearly untraceable from the originator.

What is the point, the same guys who invented this and allowed it to continue are still running the system. No hope or change there. Plus we are still having War and many other continuations of business as usual, sort of Bush Lite in a sense. Plus all the TARP funds that didn't go to bailouts went to Big Business, union jobs and block grants to cities with nothing for small business. All the banks from tiny to large are evaluating loans with the same program and it is nearly impossible to borrow for business. The Washington elite are always talking down to regular people and they do not like it.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 4, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

In other words, if you wish to support these programs, you indicate on your personal tax form just how much you would like to give. If you don't want to give, you don't have to. But wait a minute, that might be too much like "freedom of choice". What was I thinking!
Posted by: pauldj

My Reply...
During the thirties great depression, my parents wrapped their garbage and put it on top of the garbage can instead of putting it in the garbage can with the maggots because our out of work neighbors were eating our garbage.

We live in an unstable economy that does not guarantee employment. I was a tool and die maker before I became an engineer and I have been out of work during slowdowns in the economy when jobs were scarce. This country maintains a worker surplus to hold down wages and to provide workers during "good" times.
I agree that there should be government jobs for those who can work that pay the cost of living. Otherwise, they just become cheap labor. I have had my heat turned off in the middle of a Michigan winter when unemployed because unemployment insurance that workers pay for pays so little.
Why should CEO's who spend most of their time on the golf coarse get paid thousands of times more than I do?

Equity and justice is not socialism.
People need dignity as well as life.

Our social system at present is based on greed and gambling. When there is survival of the fittest and monopolies there is no justice or equity.

Would you like to eat someone else's garbage?
Dave

Posted by: OckamsRazor | November 4, 2010 12:09 PM | Report abuse

~~~Beginning on Tuesday, we will now to start to correctly represent taxes~~~
Really…good luck with that.
~~~ , and public servants must now be better stewards of how they spend our money~~~~
Good luck with that as well. Does that come with a guarantee?
~~~~ Republicans are going to help change that perception of what taxes are~~~
Really…like they have in the past?

~~~~~ Silly me I forgot "cut spending." On what? "Wasteful stuff." Such as? "You know...wasteful stuff."~~~

I agree there has been a lot of wasted money spent by the government…a lot you will see on the local level and if you see it running rampant at the local level it is definitely running wild at the federal level.
Two of my favorite examples…local level, must use up all salt/sand on winter roads. Can’t stock for following year so must “dump” in order to get enough for the following year…government will only allow you funds according to what was used/needed the previous year.

Federal Level…the study of cow farts : ) Think that was a ‘green thing’.

Also don’t care much for ‘robbing’ one fund to pay for another….
We don’t NEED any MORE government funded programs…too many already.
Also, as long as I'm running at the mouth....One way to cut back on Health Care might be to have the Medical Profesion be more responsible...I've gotten billed for questionable services and also services never recieved....just sayin'.

and dalyplanet....obviously not from planet earth.

Posted by: bertzel | November 4, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

dalyplanet, you've done an excellent job of crystalizing the drivers behind Tuesday's electorate; you have absolutely no short term memory. People felt more confident with Bush?? Really?? Did you forget that his approval rating when he left was about as low as Nixon's, down in the 20 and 30% range? Did you forget that the Republicans were running from him like a diseased leper in his last two years in office? Yes, you did...just like the electorate. You seem to think Repbulicans have what it takes to right all the wrongs they committed to get us here, and all by using the same methods (as laid out so well in TT's commentary) as they used to get us here.

I agree with JJH1, give them both houses of congress back, and the White House, and let's see how quickly they can take us over the cliff again. It will take an even deeper calamity to wake people (and the Democrats) up, and do what REALLY needs to be done. Republicans hand, have proven with their "Pledge to America", or whatever it was called, that they have learned nothing and are incapable of learning from what they accomplished with this deep recession. They only things they do well (with the help of Fox News and the screaming pundit machine) are make the rich richer, and con the American people into thinking all their troubles are the mean black guy's fault. He is, after all, not a "real" American.

Am trying hard to find my Zen in all this, and not give in to the dark side, but it's becoming more and more difficult as the stupidity of the average American voter becomes more and more obvious.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | November 4, 2010 10:49 AM | Report abuse

All right, Husker78, Rick47, and BobMoses, educate me. What is the Republican plan to balance the budget? What programs are they going to cut? If any of you three had one ounce of intelligence, which obviously none of you have, you would see that the numbers do not add up. I am fed up with twits like you, disgusted. Criticize but no solution. All Tom Toles did was present FACTS, and you call that partisanship? Those are FACTS, got it? If you don't then do us all a favor and keep your posts to yourself because I am fed up with reading the garbage that people like you write here.

Posted by: nyrunner101 | November 4, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

That cutting taxes thing will really bring down the deficit, just look at the success that previous administrations have had with it! Don't you remember Ronald Reagan, GHW Bush and GW Bush all reduced our deficit, right?
For some reason I cannot come up with a positive value, must be my liberal thinking, Oh, I know know it was that conservative administration during the 1990's that reduced the deficit. How could I forget that guy's name?

Posted by: KCHam | November 4, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Along with the change of party leadership, must come fundamental changes in the understanding of issues. Tom Toles will be brought along as well. In Thursday's cartoon, Toles again views tax cuts (the watering can) as helping grow the deficit (the tree). Beginning on Tuesday, we will now to start to correctly represent taxes as the government taking people's money to pay for (some) necessary items. But, the bottom line is that taxes are yours, and my, money taken from our wallets. Taxes are not something the government is entitled to, and public servants must now be better stewards of how they spend our money. We will not accept more taxes to fund more government programs to give lawmakers more "stuff" to send to their districts. Toles is just drawing what he presently knows--it's ingrained in his liberal DNA. Republicans are going to help change that perception of what taxes are--the government taking and spending of yours and my money from our wallets.

Posted by: Husker78 | November 4, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

How can Tom Toles be so dumb about so many things? He must have a Liberal Arts Degree.....

Posted by: Rick1947 | November 4, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 4, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Yawn. Toles's brand of predictable partisanship is so tedious.

Can't the Post find anyone who might just comment on the news of the day without having a predictable partisan spin. So boring.

Posted by: bobmoses | November 4, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

Is recounting facts partisanship now? What is the GOP economic plan besides tax cuts and deregulation? Was that not what we were doing before? Are we to expect different results for some reason this time? I invite you to explain.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | November 4, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Too bad Toles can't convey Boehner's skin color in black and white.

Posted by: jacklin1 | November 4, 2010 9:29 AM | Report abuse

Yawn. Toles's brand of predictable partisanship is so tedious.

Posted by: bobmoses | November 4, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

TOM's got it right again! I wish I could be as succinct as his cartoons!

As one that detests most Republican’s and especially the Tea Party nuts, I am still pleased with last night’s outcome. These idiots need to be put back in a position where they won’t be able to blame Obama for the mess they created during the 8 years they had almost complete control of government leading up to the worse recession since the Great Depression. They have no new ideas, they are whiners, and they are espousing the same policies that got drove us into the ditch. Tax cuts for rich, which won’t stimulate the economy because spending by the rich is not hampered to begin with; less regulation on corporations – sure they can regulate themselves, just look at Enron, AIG, BP, and all the others. What a joke. And hey, let’s repeal health care and allow millions more Americans to go uninsured, kids to get sick and die, allow healthcare providers to cherry pick healthy people only and reap obnoxious profits. And let’s give Wall Street another handout by privatizing social security, and idea that as history has shown would have been a disaster for the American public taxpayer had Bush got his way. LOSERS, LOSERS, LOSERS.

And I am disappointed with the electorate who for the most part fell for the “Karl Roven” smear tactics used by the Republicans. Thinks about it: Bush and the Republicans wrecked the economy, then initiated TARP, the bailout of Wall Street and the car companies and then convinced everyone that it was Obama’s work. And we believed it. We also believed that the mess created over 8 years by Bush and Co. could be reversed in less than 2 years and with no addition to the national debt.

Ok, they talked big during the campaign, lambasted Obama for not creating jobs, and for increasing the debt – Now let’s see what they can do. (And did you notice that now that the elections are over the master of the house, savior to the people, John Boehner, has already started back peddling by stating that Obama still controls the agenda! What a slime ball.)

I say put the Republican’s in full view and center stage so they can once again demonstrate how dumb and heartless they are. And after they fail to deliver, maybe Americans will take greater notice and spark the permanent decent and fall of the Republican Party, the Tea Party, and stupidity in government.

Believe me I am not enamored with the Democrats, but until something else comes along they are by far the lesser of two evils.

Posted by: JJH1 | November 4, 2010 8:32 AM | Report abuse

A bitter old man is a pathetic sight to behold.

Posted by: jpost1 | November 4, 2010 8:08 AM | Report abuse

Bravo!

Best cartoon and rant yet!

Posted by: joel5 | November 4, 2010 7:04 AM | Report abuse

"Lobbyists won't find a job in my White House.." Campaign Pledge by President Obama which was broken the second day in office. Hillary is the clear Democrat choice for 2012.

Posted by: jornolibist | November 4, 2010 6:04 AM | Report abuse

I can't decide which is funnier, the cartoon or the commentary. Mr. Toles I salute you for paying attention.

Posted by: Falling4Ever | November 4, 2010 1:33 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and one last thing. This is hilarious, but oh so true.

Posted by: bushidollar | November 4, 2010 12:14 AM | Report abuse

"The voters have spoken. They have gone back to Casablanca, for the waters. Perhaps they were misinformed, again."

Nope, just tools, and very dull and rusty ones at that.

Posted by: bushidollar | November 3, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

"Waiting for Speaker Boehner's announcement that he will throw all the lobbyists out of his office and forbid their return?"

LOL! Don't hold your breath. Boehner has never seen a lobbyiest he did not like. He will quit using tanning salons and dye on himself before he quits lobbyists. Oh, and I liked yesterday's sketch with the TP'er in the cardboard box after austerity measures. On point.

Posted by: bushidollar | November 3, 2010 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Do you know why Democrats always want to raise taxes on the rich? Rich Democrats don't pay taxes.

Posted by: billybeer6 | November 3, 2010 9:27 PM | Report abuse

9/10 of our of our economic engine is "consumer confidence" or feeling good about spending. I think Americans were more confident or felt better with George W. Mulberry Bush. I think we will all be feeling more confident soon.

The best part of our government system is we the people get to make quick corrections when we make a mistake.

Posted by: dalyplanet | November 3, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse