Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 02/ 7/2011

Unhealthy food choice

By Tom Toles

c_02072011.gif

***

Beck and forth

Can we at least celebrate that Glenn Beck has suffered a 39 percent ratings decline? Can we grasp at this little straw to let ourselves believe that crazy eventually burns itself out? Yes we can, because crazy always does burn out, though sometimes the neighborhood goes up in flames along the way. But periodic wacky wildfire is preferable, we discovered in forest management, to letting the fuel build up indefinitely. As they are learning in Egypt now.

And speaking of wacky, the comments section here positively turned into Bug City last week. The whole menagerie of Commenting Types were amply represented, although the taunting name-callers seemed to feel that referring to me as "Tommy" is a slam-dunk zinger. Some days it is truly akin to peeking under a stone to observe a tiny universe of incomprehensible activity.

There are days I look in down there and am genuinely mesmerized with horror at the state of public debate in the U.S. Other days I see that Glenn Beck's ratings have fallen by 39 percent. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_02072011.gif

By Tom Toles  | February 7, 2011; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Health care
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rocket Science
Next: Lining the toe

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

@skinnynomore Feb. 8, 2011 2:41 am - RIGHT ON BROTHER!!! You hit the nail right on the head!

Posted by: BugsNuts | February 9, 2011 2:25 PM | Report abuse

@ptgrunner Feb. 7, 2011 8:40 pm - The orderlies at Bellevue have been looking for you. Your bed is ready.

Posted by: BugsNuts | February 9, 2011 2:06 PM | Report abuse

Excellent commentary! As Glenn's ratings plummett, your's are skyrocketing.
The truth shall set you free. If only all those self-rightous "real Americans" could see the truth through all the lies they've been fed. Keep it up!

Posted by: JD76 | February 8, 2011 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"Crazy always does burn out"... ah, this is the best explanation yet for the dwindling of the NY Times, Barack Obama, his policies and the Left in general.

Posted by: skinnynomore | February 8, 2011 2:41 AM | Report abuse

PT

Have you been bitten by a bat or raccoon recently? You're kinda foaming at the mouth there. Rabies?

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 7, 2011 10:07 PM | Report abuse

@pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 2:45 PM

You're a petty idiotic moron. There I beat you...and with facts.

Are you seriously telling me that the GOP created jobs in Jan. 2011. Really. Job growth was _very_ weak. The unemployment rate was down because some people went back to school and others simply gave up looking. OK, I'll blame the fact that some people gave up looking for work on Republicans. Happy?

What Reagan did was run against Carter, in part using deficits as a political weapon. Sound familiar? Reagan then turned around and increased the national debt to very high levels...he was, in fact, the first POTUS since WWII under whom the national debt:GDP ratio went up. A stunning achievement. Of course, he then raised taxes 7 times, calling them "revenue enhancements so conservatives wouldn't notice. Too little, too late. Then there were the "Right Wing Death Squads", the Iran-Contra Affair, Oliver North and drugs coming back to the U.S. on CIA planes. Let's not forget that our military was not falling apart. Still Carter had planned to raise defense spending...just not as foolishly and irrationally as Reagan. Reagan's fake patriotism played well, just as Palin's does. Sadly, he was suffering from early-stage dementia while still POTUS and that was clear from his trembling head observed during his speeches--I thought to myself that there was something very wrong with him. Even a bad actor like Reagan could fool many people.

Posted by: ptgrunner | February 7, 2011 8:40 PM | Report abuse

I've always taken comfort from Eric Hoffer's observation:

"It is cheering to see that the rats are still around – the ship is not sinking."

Posted by: fbrewer1 | February 7, 2011 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Bert- Me? The STEELERS? Uh-uh. Packers all the way. (Once they had beaten the Bears, that is.)

jpost1- I'm guessing there was some Italian Beef on hand, as well as pizza from a little place in Hyde Park with a name that starts with "M." Oh, and Michelle Obama is clearly not guilty of obesity.

Jorno- Soros a Socialist? You don't really know much about George Soros, do you?

Posted by: jonroesler | February 7, 2011 3:24 PM | Report abuse

TT – I happen to take offense to your commenter alleging that as you blog away there in your dark-and-dreary garret at the Washington Post, that you are insulting your entire audience; and somehow his (maybe her) notion of the standards for political cartooning people overlap those presumed for comicking people. Well, TT, I’ve known comedians in my time, and you are no comedian. Actually, I need to take that back: there have been times when your drawings have been funny. (At this point I should be citing at least one example, but advancing age and the “wrong side of the bed” are compromising my memory on said-same issue.) Now take Bill Maher for instance; there’s a comedian. Is he held to the aforementioned (I think we share a fondness for that word) standard. I should guess not. He gives "__it" to all of us. Did you know that his live audience even laughs when they don’t get his jokes..?? (How's that for unrivaled hilarity..??) In fact, it happened last Friday; and out here in TV Land we could see that he had flubbed the gag, totally, and had a look on his face that read like: Why-the-Hell are they laughing? I read the effin teleprompter the way it was effin written and it was effin wrong. That effin writer is so effin yesterday as of effin now. (Bill’s to be forgiven: he’s grown so famous for the “ef word,” that Dear Lord, the effin guy nearly owns the effin thing.) Oh wait, TT, it’s coming back to me now: your stuff was always really funny during the Bushie Years, wasn’t it..?? (Forty-three, of course: or “Numero 43,” as he might call himself. In fact, I kind of miss the way The W used to like to slip in a little Espaňol now and again – so consciously cute, yet so obviously dismissive and consciously disarming). What you need is another "White Houser" that will (A) meet your standards for creative content, and (B) that can really make people laugh. And here I go, reckonin’’ that she’s a-watchin’ that crazy ol’ Tidy Whitey White House from her kitchen window right now – sayin’ to her cubs, “Hey Little Grizzlies, the Heck with seein' ol' Russia from here. We got way bigger game in our crosshairs. Git ready to reload and break camp..!! (BTW Trig - Honey, is Washington anywhere near Russia..??”)

Posted by: dudeupnorth | February 7, 2011 3:06 PM | Report abuse

A quote from an article regarding a bill to prohibit the EPA from regulating CO2

You might think these people would know that even asthmatics exhale CO2.

As noted today by the American Lung Association, the Clean Air Act guards the most vulnerable Americans – those with asthma and other lung diseases, children, older adults, and people with heart disease and diabetes. The association declared, “The protections against the health harm from carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gas pollution are essential to public health and must be preserved.”

Pretty funny stuff !!

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 7, 2011 2:54 PM | Report abuse

ptgrunner,

1 - Toles directed his displeasure at all of us, not just us, to whit:

"There are days I look in down there and am genuinely mesmerized with horror at the state of public debate in the U.S."

So - I responded to his note. I like our debates; apparently he doesn't find them informative or useful. Again, his blog, his terms.

2 - In terms of thick skin, I have plenty of it. But you seem a bit piqued I'm afraid.

3 - You spun a narrative belittling the GOP for not creating jobs in their first 28 days of office. Dumb logic; just a way to attack the Conservatives to be sure. But then the unemployment figures came out lowering the unemployment rate significantly the day after you annoyed us with your manifesto. You were beaten by your own words. Except now, you don't have the stones to admit it - just willing to engage in ad hominem attacks on me and dalyplanet.

Predictable but sad nonetheless.

4 - Liberals should be proud of what the Administration and Congress did for their cause between 2008 and 2010. Yes, I am firmly against that Liberal agenda but hey - it's your party - be proud of what you do.

Except Liberals stayed home in the last election and the Conservatives mopped up the court in the elections. Fox is only one network - Liberals control the remainder of the MSM - hardly think you can blame your own apathy on us.

5 - '...fact, they [GOP] haven't done anything positive since Jan. 1981.' Hmmm...getting kind of desperate here, ptg. In 1981, the final days of the fabulous Carter days, the misery index was at 21.5%; our citizens were still hostage until after Reagan took office on the 21st (with class, Reagan authorized Carter to meet the newly released Americans as his special envoy); we were still in the Cold War; and our military was completely falling apart. Reagan changed all of that for the better.

So bring it on. Debate the jobs issue or what have you. I'll be here to answer - sua sponte'.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 2:45 PM | Report abuse

@pararanger22 and dalyplanet

You two clowns couldn't debate a fruit-fly and come out on top. You never debate at all. Your posts have the childlike tone of a....Tea Partyer. I must have hit a raw nerve. Have some tea (and taxes) with that whine. I've commented here before that Tom and people who post here need thick skins. Who knew that Tea Partyers could dish it out, but just can't take it? I did! I'm in favor of civility, but treat others as they would treat you.

BTW, what makes you think Tom's comments were directed at you?

And taking credit for the reduction in unemployment rate is delusional considering that the GOP has done NOTHING since Jan. 5.--in fact, they haven't done anything positive since Jan. 1981. What is the GOP job program? Are you saying that the GOP/Tea Partyers had a clever plan to do nothing and it has paid off? Job creation was weak in Jan. 2011, the very first month of GOP holding power in the House and gaining many Senate seats. The stronger job growth in late 2010, the PPACA, the excellent management of the TARP resulting in taxpayers getting most of their money back, the quite-effective (2nd) stimulus program, the saving of our auto companies are all Obama's accomplishments. Liberals should be proud of these things. The recovery is happening on schedule--at least as I thought it would. If the GOP had helped, we would be out of this mess far SOONER. But the GOP does not govern, they complain--their plan is to do nothing, to ride the Obama/Democrat train to a return of American greatness and then claim credit for it. I bet Obama will have a deficit reduction program ready before the GOP does; and I bet the GOP will oppose it...because that is what they do and it is who they are.

Hey, good joke! "How many Republicans does it take to repeal the PPACA?"

Posted by: ptgrunner | February 7, 2011 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: orinski
***********************************************

Typical lefty. If it comes from the left, it's cool, right on, well put.

If it comes from the right it's hateful and non-productive, etc.

Get over yourself. If you and toles can talk like potty mouths, then so can everyone else.

Posted by: tjmlrc | February 7, 2011 1:50 PM | Report abuse

dalyplanet,

I've beaten the ptgrunner drum to derision. Time to find more exciting debates. But ptg had it coming - ptg delivers such 1/2 witted diatribe sometimes.

Keep up the good work dalyplanet - you always hit an angle I haven't thought of or confirm my arguments on the climate change debate. I don't expect to change any hearts and minds here; but I do like to be challenged by the Left. Sometimes their arguments (albeit rarely), change my point of view. They always sharpen my views and make me research some more.

I guess that's why I really didn't appreciate Mr. Toles' rant today; I don't believe we deserved such blanket criticism. But the blog belongs to him - his call.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Ranger

I can not find the link today but the chatter was falling unemployment numbers are due to climate change as is was too cold to file for unemployment.

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 7, 2011 12:13 PM | Report abuse

pararanger22

all I hear is crickets chirping from PT LOL

Thank you for the kind words last week !

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 7, 2011 11:43 AM | Report abuse

ptgrunner can run but cannot hide.

There is some music-facing that needs doing here...

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Dear ptgrunner,

I noted with interest your mental-midget, blog post from 5 FEB 11, childishly blasting the GOP for not doing anything about jobs in the first 25 days of their new-found leadership of the House and increased numbers in the Senate.

Let's fast-forward to FEB 5, 2011, when the monthly unemployment report was posted, to whit:

["Jeannine Aversa and Christopher S. Rugaber, AP Economics Writers, On Friday February 4, 2011, 5:11 pm EST

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The unemployment rate is suddenly sinking at the fastest pace in a half-century, falling to 9 percent from 9.8 percent in just two months -- the most encouraging sign for the job market since the recession ended."]

-------------

Now, based on your own immortal, Liberal logic, you cursed the GOP for not/not creating new jobs in their first 28 days in power. Conservatives across the Nation respond with their humblest of apologies:

We're sorry it took 29 days.

ptgrunner: You've trapped yourself in your own web. You have no where to run/no where to hide.

You've punk'd yourself!

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Tom,

I enjoy your toons and rages. They are always thought provoking. I, along with most likely tens of thousands of other readers, don't feel the overwhelming need to add random thoughts about my life to the comment section on a daily basis. If we did, I am sure the vast majority of our comments would be positive or at least benign. After a read of the comments section, I am amazed that you still allow comments at all. The usual bugs have their consistently hateful, non-productive opinions on display and some even think that your forum is their personal soapbox.

So, keep up the thought provoking work and ignore the idiotic postings.

Just my opinion.

Posted by: orinski | February 7, 2011 11:18 AM | Report abuse

You've made my day, Mr. Toles, with the news that Mr. Beck's celebrity candle is flickering.

Posted by: lrwillis | February 7, 2011 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Who IS Glenn Beck ??

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 7, 2011 10:44 AM | Report abuse

My thinking was that the Tea Party would burn out after the election. The whole TP thing seemed like a group of self-obsessed lunatics. Unfortunately, there is reality. Reality does not go away. Climate change, taxes (and death), deficits don't go away just because you don't believe in them or want them to go away.

As for Beck and the other crazies at Fox, they may have run their course. Palin, and the other Fox commentators are simply celebrity parasites, just like the Kardashians. The spend their time and make money by promoting themselves so they can make more money; they don't have real jobs. Well...Palin had an honest job as governor. but decided she didn't like the work. Perhaps others at Fox had real jobs but didn't like work.

Posted by: ptgrunner | February 7, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Glenn Beck is a myth I can't believe you sheeple are falling for this.

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | February 7, 2011 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I am guessing that Mr Toles is mad because the crazy story circulating last week (expressed by A Gore TT and 95 of 100 Psychiatrists) that the severe winter we are having is a result of Global Warming gave us a pretty good national laugh. Plus the EPA wonks are going to loose the backdoor approach to CO2 regulation soon. Bad week for a true believer.

On the other hand we bugs had some real discussion and debate last week even if somebodies ego was bruised a little. I predict that energy policy will be a large part of the national debate for some decades to come. I hope that small scale non corporate energy gets some discussion as well as conservation.

Posted by: dalyplanet | February 7, 2011 10:36 AM | Report abuse

I love the way Glen Beck "bothers" Toles so that he must monitor him like a nosy neighbor.

Great entertainment from one who has such a high opinion of himself.

Speaking of "crazy burning itself out", is that more gray hair on obama's head or just the ash residue from the "fire?"

Posted by: tjmlrc | February 7, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and Beck is one of many topics covered in the daily cartoons / blog that are not passionately debated here the way climate change is.

Posted by: Rudesan | February 7, 2011 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Moderating intake of fatty foods and desserts is fine (like for special occasions such as super bowl parties). Eating unhealthily all the time is not so good. I think that is the First Lady's point.
Check out the documentary Super Size Me to see the impact of excessive fatty food consumption.

Posted by: Rudesan | February 7, 2011 10:05 AM | Report abuse

"Some days it is truly akin to peeking under a stone to observe a tiny universe of incomprehensible activity."

I love this line - can I borrow it?

Posted by: LilaM | February 7, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of Fate. And I was…

“I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulette I could have worn.” H. D. Thoreau

I personally can relate. Have had and continue to have many similar experiences. Although not here :) Just saying…

Posted by: bertzel | February 7, 2011 9:28 AM | Report abuse

so there is hope for the American intellect

Posted by: jakethedale | February 7, 2011 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Became quite expert at grasping straws during the '80s and '00s. A reduction in Meh's ratings is good maintenance of the skill.
Take love wherever it's found.

Posted by: GeneTouchet | February 7, 2011 9:03 AM | Report abuse

The Washington Post continues to post consistent declines in readership and lost 143 MILLION dollars through the first six months of 2009 in an article written in their own paper. A trend that began in 1987.
So enjoy one blip in the oppositions ratings, while the Post continues its long slide into irrelevance.

Posted by: MajorTomB | February 7, 2011 8:59 AM | Report abuse

Insanity can be a lot of fun, as long as you can enjoy it responsibly. Spewing vitriol is NOT enjoying lunacy responsibly, but I suppose it's better than spewing lead.

Posted by: Capn0ok1 | February 7, 2011 8:46 AM | Report abuse

There are days I check in with the liberal media and am mesmerized with horror at the obvious political agenda of "journalists".

Couple that with the attacks on Palin, Beck and others that are personal in nature rather than a debate of the facts.

And I am genuinely disgusted.

How 'bout that Super Bowl menu the Obama's served up? How do you square that with Michelle telling the rest of us what to eat??

Posted by: thinker16 | February 7, 2011 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I supose one has to have an education in the classiss, or read Heinlein, to recognize "The Worm Ouroboros."

Posted by: GaryEMasters | February 7, 2011 7:50 AM | Report abuse

Say that you are a carpenter and your ruler does not give the right numbers. You toss it. Beck said that Social Security is dead and nobody can count on it in the future. I can not say he is lying. But I do not trust him.

Posted by: GaryEMasters | February 7, 2011 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of unhealthy food choices, why no mention in the WaPo of the junk served up by Mz. BubbleButt, the Deputy Hypocrite-in-Chief, at her hubby's Super Bowl "I Love Me" party? Bratwurst, kielbasa, cheeseburgers, deep-dish pizza and Buffalo wings with sides of German potato salad, twice-baked potatoes and assorted chips and dips hardly jives with her faux preaching on nutritious eating. Guessing the WaPo doesn't want to bite the hand that feeds it, even if it's serving up junk larded with empty calories, fats, and cholesterol. Good work, Mz. Hypocrite!

Posted by: jpost1 | February 7, 2011 7:37 AM | Report abuse

Tommy, Tommy, Tommy!

Posted by: quiensabe | February 7, 2011 7:27 AM | Report abuse

jornolibist,

Excellent post on the Beck/Bush books.

Mr. Toles was really insensitive to his bloggers . I don't get it. We have a great back and forth between Liberals and Conservatives and he looks down his nose at us as a group.

Frustrating.

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 7:22 AM | Report abuse

George Soros probably just ordered all the liberal media people he controls to just stop monitoring Beck for a month. The leftwing Media Matters socialist front group owned by Soros has no doubt orchestrated this coordinated attack against Beck using Rabbis, a NY Congressman and a Wash Po cartoonist becuase nobody wants to watch lib media. The truth is, Beck still averages nearly 2 million viewers every night and his new book "The 7: Wonders That Will Change Your Life," is number 5 on the best National Best Seller List. Of course the Washington Post only publishes the "Washington Area" best seller list so that don't have to show the fact that both Bush and Beck have nationwide top 10 selling books.

Posted by: jornolibist | February 7, 2011 6:26 AM | Report abuse

Dear Mr. Toles,

Our defense (Conservative Posters) versus your rant today:

1 - I never watch Beck so his ratings are immaterial.
2 - I read your cartoon, rant, and the blog posts nearly every day - I rarely see anything in here related to Glenn Beck except from you.
3 - There is an unwritten show-business code 'never insult your audience.' I suppose lot's of crass comedians break that rule but I think it's bad manners.
4 - Today, you used auto immune disease(s) to make light of health care. Although my daughter was diagnosed with one just last week, I won't take it personally. Poetic license and all that, right?

I think there is a lot of good and bad debate in your blog section. We're sorry you no longer have an appreciation for it. But hey, you succeeded to insult every one of your bloggers in a single rant today (I think you referred to us as bugs).

That's pretty rarefied air your breathing 'up there.'

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 2:09 AM | Report abuse

Dear ptgrunner,

-------------

We're sorry it took 29 days.

You've punk'd yourself!

Posted by: pararanger22 | February 7, 2011 1:59 AM | Report abuse

To Tom Toles...
I get the bad feeling that talking heads are all empty heads with no brains only a sharp tongue.

People who have important things to say are drowned out by the din of brashmobabble.
This may have something to do with the Tower of Babble.

We no longer speak an intelligent language that can be understood by anyone.
The ship is sinking in a mighty storm and there is no land in sight.
People do not know the difference between smart and wise and/or stupid and foolish.
Dave.

Posted by: OckamsRazor | February 7, 2011 12:56 AM | Report abuse

The state of public debate, or consciousness, as revealed in comments to political essays and columns in newspaper websites, is truly amazing! It is becoming more difficult to distinguish those with arrested development (I find it hard to believe that 9 year old are really taking that much interest in commenting about politics, yet the level of remark would do justice to that conclusion) from "bots" that post pre-written remarks from a database in response to a word-matching algorithm based on the column, or other comments. We have reached the age where duckspeak is the lingua franca on online discussion. But it's no different in the LA Times than in the Washington Post, so don't take it personally.

Posted by: askalib-CA | February 7, 2011 12:15 AM | Report abuse

jon...I have to ask...
Is that cuz comment was placed to offset the fact that you bet on the steelers winning the bowl???
HA!

Posted by: bertzel | February 6, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

~~I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank commenters for reminding me not to take myself or my opinions too seriously. ;-)
Posted by: jonroesler~~~

Ditto : )

Posted by: bertzel | February 6, 2011 10:58 PM | Report abuse

sideways walkers???hmmmm can we actually draw??? Joe is a bit better!?!?sorry...

K Toles...another pity party? PLEASE!
And what is the preoccupation with BECK!

Oh Packers won the bowl! HA!

Posted by: bertzel | February 6, 2011 10:53 PM | Report abuse