Posted at 12:00 AM ET, 03/ 3/2011

Side effects

By Tom Toles

c_03032011(454).gif

***

Under covers

Reporters like to think of themselves...let me correct that...reporters like OTHERS to think that they are working tirelessly through the night to dig out the hidden facts that the American people need to know to govern themselves through the instruments and institutions of their democracy. And some of them actually do.

On the other hand, many of them actually don't. For those of you who crave some confirmation of your darker fears and thoughts about American journalism, particularly the Washington variant, please read Dana Milbank's recent column. And look forward to Mark Leibovich's book. Sad to say, this doesn't fit neatly into either the narrative of the Liberal Media or the Right Wing Noise Machine. It fits into the tired old categories of Mutual Backscratching and Careerism. The Two Fevers here in the fever swamp. The swamp itself is largely special interest money and power politics.

This could be a great book. Reporters never tire of embarrassing others, often with excellent reason, but it will be interesting to listen to them trying to explain away revelations that ought to be professionally embarrassing to them. They won't actually BE embarrassed. People in D.C. don't get embarrassed. --Tom Toles

***

sketchicon_ver1.jpg

s_03032011.gif

By Tom Toles  | March 3, 2011; 12:00 AM ET
Categories:  Federal government
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bad faith healing
Next: Don't look now

Other Syndicated Editorial Cartoons:

Comments

Do I understand it? Brother, you are talking to a Discordian.

Posted by: pete1013 | March 4, 2011 6:39 PM | Report abuse

pete...do you understand the word chaos?

Posted by: bertzel | March 4, 2011 1:38 PM | Report abuse

you confuse compassion with being a busy body. If someone asks for help, and you help them; that is compassionate. If you force your moral judgment on somebody who has not asked for nor wants help, well isn't that the polar opposite of compassion?

It is up to each of us to wreck or enrich our lives in any way we see fit, be it drugs, alcohol, video games, food, religion or what have you.

Posted by: pete1013 | March 4, 2011 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I dunno...human compassion?

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 10:27 PM | Report abuse

While I understand the inherent dangers of drug abuse, what I fail to comprehend is why anybody cares what somebody else does with their brain. Or body for that matter. Morality Police = Thought crime. If you catch my drift...

Posted by: pete1013 | March 3, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

your buddy planet is mad at me I think. My bad....or he is watching Al Jazeera Tv, trying to figure out what is going on the the Middle East....lol

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 5:56 PM | Report abuse

How is my grammar today ranger? : )

Posted by: bertzel

-------------------

Your grammar is to standard, as always bertzel -- :)

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 3, 2011 5:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the info e30m42.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:49 PM | Report abuse

gee planet...maybe you should change your name to runner...

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:43 PM | Report abuse

re Al Jezera -- I see its website has a live feed with excellent reception on my computer. It is worth a look. I heard on the radio a few weeks ago AJ TV is available in only 4 or 5 US cities--sure enough. Their website has a box where you can request AJ TV by your zipcode.
english.aljazeera.net

Posted by: e30m42 | March 3, 2011 4:42 PM | Report abuse

yeah...already answered the tv question...what makes you think you would have a better understanding from 'their point of view'? Who's point of you are you referring to anyway? The people in the streets? The government? WHAT?

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Oh really? Your hand???
Some of us can just see and understand things without having to consult anyone or anything there planet....I see you are not one of those people.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 9:00 AM

And this post makes it clear that it is you doing the talking AT rather than with.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 4:06 PM~~~

What planet? I'm just trying to 'understand' you? I wasn't talking AT you. Really...gee now you've gone and hurt my feelings

NOT.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Arab TV news bert. If we could see what was going on from the middle eastern point of view then we could have a better understanding of events today.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Ohh..planet LOL. Good thing you aren't within reach!
HA, ha, ha!

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:17 PM | Report abuse

And another thing planet...I don't know what Al jereeza Tv is....why don't you explain. As far as Al Jazeera TV...I don't watch it but I'm pretty sure it is available perhaps thru 'cable' or the internet. I'd try the internet first...just sayin'.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:13 PM | Report abuse

The question again

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 4:08 PM | Report abuse

~~~bertzel

I had a looong conversation with an 'expert' where he stated that you are correct (likely for the wrong reasons) that a statement from Obama regarding more future potential US crude production will not stop the increase in price of oil futures. !!!

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:18 PM ~~~~

Oh really? Your hand???

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 9:00 AM

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I dunno planet what question??
And what makes you think I have the answer to your off the wall questions in the first place?
I have never claimed to be a know-it-all like some here...

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 4:04 PM | Report abuse

~~~The US could end this crude price run up today with an announcement that we are going to allow more drilling. dlayplanet~~~

~~~ Hedges would flee on news of future supply increase.
Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 7:10 PM

~~~bertzel
Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:18 PM
And let's not forget that pesky union/teacher/charter schools, Oops, as well....
Hard for you to re-read there planet??

Some things are, like I said, obvious. You have a problem with the obvious planet?
Or maybe you don't come with common sense included.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 3:58 PM | Report abuse

bertzel

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:18 PM |

bertzel

"likely" in my last post should be replaced with "perhaps" as you did not explain you reasoning's.

Another topic in my conversation, Why is it so difficult to obtain Al Jereeza TV in English in these very 'interesting' times

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:51 PM

I am not sure what you mean regarding admitting a mistake as here is the admittance here today.

Why not answer the question instead of throwing rocks (snowballs)

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 3:53 PM | Report abuse

So bert

What is your 'understanding' regarding the rapid rise in crude oil futures where there is no fundamental change in production or consumption. or you just know?

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 9:13 AM

I don't need a market primer because I get it. My mistake may be the name mentioned not that the market can move 15% on a word.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Ha, ha, ha, planet!
I don't throw stones...snowballs, however, are a different story.
I don't understand what you want planet...you see, I called you on another, how shall I say it...(I'll be nice) mistake and you have a hard time admitting when you make mistakes....it's really ok planet...to err is human : ) And you are human are you not? Like I said, loosen that vice and take a deep breath... then try and talk with me not at me.
And let's be realistic while we're at it, too, shall we. In other words, don't expect me to explain the market to you cuz it ain't gonnna happen.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 3:19 PM | Report abuse

bert

I have been waiting all day for you to enlighten me with the basis for your crystal ball predictions. Instead you are just throwing stones.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Bert

Your answer is a cop out. Lame

Posted by: dalyplanet ~~~

Well at least I don't run and hide when someone says something I don't care for planet.
Maybe you should run for dem.party senator in WI.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Pdog…we should not have to rely on reporters to ask our governing body questions about the current happenings, concerning our government. That is a bit backwards. Those elected should inform us readily without question.
I also think we have a few very good reporters out in the field…Christiane Amanpour comes to mind.
As far as the birth certificate goes…old news and no one throws that around anymore, at least no one of any importance.
You, of course, seem to relish in that topic though.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Reporters more concerned with their own celebrity and access, rather than the truth? Say it ain't so!

The problem with being a truly good journalist is that it's a very lonely job. You can't get too cozy with anyone, and, at some point in your career, you'll anger just about everyone who confides in you. Unfortunately, when you anger the "wrong" people, you're denied access to the people and places you need in order to truly do your job.

In the "things I'd like to see" realm, wouldn't it be cool if Obama (or any president for that matter), told the White House press corp that, from now on, he was only going to call on people that asked the toughest questions about the most substantive issues?...

"Ladies and gentlemen of the press, you are the voice of the American people here. You have to ask me the questions that provide the American people with the information they need in order to understand what their government is up to. And you can't be afraid to ask such questions, otherwise the American people don't get the answers they deserve. So, let's get to work!"

Of course, this would likely lead to the Fox reporters standing up and yelling "Where's your birth certificate?" At which point the president would probably let out a sigh of frustration loud enough to be heard over at the Lincoln Memorial.

Posted by: PrairieDog60 | March 3, 2011 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Tom,

I think you forgot the banner that reads: EgyptLibiaTunisiaIranAfghanistanBharainIraqEtAl.

Half

Posted by: HalflifeToolmaker | March 3, 2011 1:18 PM | Report abuse

~~~Tomorrow, I will remind everyone - quite clearly - of one facet of ptgrunner's superior wisdom. Get your popcorn ready!

Posted by: pararanger22~~~

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today ranger....besides, I may not be here tomorrow.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 12:34 PM | Report abuse

How is my grammar today ranger? : )

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 12:29 PM | Report abuse

~~why's everybody so concerned with Charlie Sheen? It's like David Lee Roth once said: "I used to have a drug problem, but now I can afford it."
Posted by: pete1013~~~

Have you ever seen that commercial; "This is your brain. This is your brain on drugs." with an egg frying in the pan?...well, you do enough of them and your brain does indeed get fried.
'nough said.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't many people become embarrassed anymore. People happily spout whatever random thought enters their head w/o pondering or caring about consequences. If they can't win the debate using empirical data and reason (most wouldn't know it if it bit them on...the elbow), they change the subject and type insults while they sit red-faced in front of their computer screen. In conversation, loudness and shouting others down means victory. In forums, the crudest, least clever insult wins.

Moving on to today's conservatives, all science and emperical data seems to be ignored in favor of ideology. It's as if people have entirely lost their ability to think. Maybe they are just afraid of the changing world, with conservatives taking political advantage of those fears. They shout "we don't have to change. We can go back." Unfortunately, you cannot go back to something that never existed.

Posted by: ptgrunner

----------------

Not that I'm the grammar police but that first sentence kind of says it all. ptgrunner can't win arguments because he's childish with little skill in debate.

So...I agree with bertzel...ptgrunner describes himself above...probably after soaking a few by his lava lamp and pondering Toles' colored-in cartoon today!

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 3, 2011 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pete1013 | March 3, 2011 11:28 AM | Report abuse

I suppose if Toles' paintless painting was in color it would be....RED???

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 11:04 AM | Report abuse

~~What have you programmed into your crystal ball? I need a trip to Vegas... :)

Vegas ranger???
Small potatoes... :)

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 11:02 AM | Report abuse

~~bert

Your glib answer indicates your lack of actual knowledge ie. you guessed oil would rise~~~planet

Nice try planet...not falling for your nonsense. Got your head in a vise or something? Pull it out and take a deep breath...wouldn't hurt!

ranger..Ha, ha!

runner...I do believe you just described yourself!

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 10:56 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ptgrunner | March 3, 2011 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Greetings all,

You all can get a color version of Tom's cartoon at:

Thanks for listening,

R. H. Tharp, Petoskey MI

Posted by: tvanalog

What the...? Do you color your cartoons Tom or is this something gocomics does themselves, with or without your input?

Posted by: jhnnywalkr | March 3, 2011 10:33 AM | Report abuse

And then there is this tag line from this morning

(Dow Jones)--Crude-oil futures fell in Asia Thursday, after rumors circulated that Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi has accepted a proposal by Venezuela to create a multinational commission to mediate the crisis.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 10:19 AM | Report abuse

bertzel,

What have you programmed into your crystal ball? I need a trip to Vegas... :)

I think Tony-KS did today's drawing on velvet with a little black-light in the background.

Don't worry about Ockams-Razor. He probably spilled his Metamucil reaching for his jar of Gerber applesauce. Cranky.

rgr

Posted by: pararanger22 | March 3, 2011 10:14 AM | Report abuse

bert

Your glib answer indicates your lack of actual knowledge ie. you guessed oil would rise. This guess is easy and obvious. Survey 100 people 2 weeks ago and 66 would have said to expect a rise in petrol prices. Why has oil gone past the $100 mark and is there support for this in the longer term. (today indicates no so far). The volume of trades has reduced to a trickle so there are very few bets still on the table.

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 10:12 AM | Report abuse

What do you want from me planet...can't give you my brain or insight...sorry....
Nah...I'm not : )

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Bert

Your answer is a cop out. Lame

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 9:32 AM | Report abuse

dalyplanet...some things are just obvious.
I'll let you in on a little secret..I even programmed my crystal ball, shhh : )

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Greetings all,

You all can get a color version of Tom's cartoon at:

Thanks for listening,

R. H. Tharp, Petoskey MI

Posted by: tvanalog | March 3, 2011 9:14 AM | Report abuse

~~~My comment on your comment...
What are you on Bertzel?
Maybe it’s some kind of muscle relaxant for the brain.
Is the stress too much?
Your lack of concern for working people is not ingratiating.
You should try painting without paint.
It can be a real challenge.
Tom got his point across which can be a real challenge for you.
My four letter word is "ouch"; a famous last word.
Dave
Posted by: OchamsRazor | March 3, 2011 1:22 AM

Let's see dave...at a quarter after one, I am resting my head on my pillow...hopefully asleep in dreamland, which is what Toles 'toon' looks like, by the way. Perhaps he is half asleep when on the job...who knows, anyway....
as for the 'paintless painting'....ugly picture comes to mind. Get it? Hmmm. Boy, that is a toughy. Maybe you should try to gain CONTROL of your thoughts OchamsRazor!!

And as for your 4 letter word...why would you not spell it out in the first place and why would we need to excuse it?
Yeah....right.

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

So bert

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 3, 2011 9:13 AM | Report abuse

~~~bertzel

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:18 PM ~~~~

Oh really? Your hand???

Posted by: bertzel | March 3, 2011 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Too many Americans would rather watch L.Lohan and Charlie Sheen than find Afghanistan or even Arkansas/Kenya on the map. I predict a Lohan/Sheen Reality Show by Sheen's enablers at CBS in every SUV in America...When our gas guzzling drivers run out of gas...they will have Charlie and Linsey! Charlie and Linsey are our gifts that keep on giving, but I think they should ask for pay...why give it away free! Thanks Mr. Toles!

Posted by: judithclaire1939 | March 3, 2011 7:31 AM | Report abuse

"People in D.C. don't get embarrassed."

As Tommy so ably demonstrates on a daily basis.

Posted by: jpost1 | March 3, 2011 7:23 AM | Report abuse

It's the winds of political change, not the hoax of climate change, that is coming that liberals are having a difficult time understanding and adjusting to. Charlie Sheen is a big time liberal and look at what is happening to him. Elected Democrats from Wisconsin and Indiana are holding themselves hostage in Illinois in an attempt to thwart democracy back in their home states. A vast majority of citizens are no longer being conned by the liberal press and the nation now has leaders and more on the way who are going to take the country back from the socialist's grip. Americans and people of the world despise socialism that's why the people who have gotten addicted to it are now exhibiting the side effects of withdrawal by screaming shame, shame, shame at anyone they perceive are taking their drugs away.

Posted by: billybeer6 | March 3, 2011 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Gee Toles, can you say Geek??
The 'toon' looks more like someone who is 'tripping'. Sheen was (I say was because he claims he is no longer using)using an amphetamine which would look more like the autobahn....just sayin'.
Not a painter either I see...
Posted by: bertzel

My comment on your comment...
What are you on Bertzel?
Maybe it’s some kind of muscle relaxant for the brain.
Is the stress too much?
Your lack of concern for working people is not ingratiating.
You should try painting without paint.
It can be a real challenge.
Tom got his point across which can be a real challenge for you.
My four letter word is "ouch"; a famous last word.
Dave

Posted by: OchamsRazor | March 3, 2011 1:22 AM | Report abuse

So it's all about access to public money or power, with shameless infatuation with the personal envelop?

Posted by: Tony-KS | March 3, 2011 12:13 AM | Report abuse

ps: the toon looks rather peter max'y, without the colors-just sayin'!

Posted by: akoenig2 | March 2, 2011 11:54 PM | Report abuse

bertzel

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:51 PM | Report abuse

milibank didnt mention 'her' for one month, but then he couldnt stand it and had to gloat about it on march 1st. what hypocrisy! i guess that helped sell a few more papers. tom, please dont get sucked in like the others!

Posted by: akoenig2 | March 2, 2011 11:50 PM | Report abuse

bertzel

Posted by: dalyplanet | March 2, 2011 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Milbank and all the other Washington Post Democrat party opinionistas said they were not going to mention Sarah Palin in their February columns and their Democrat party opinion template came true, how impressive. Didn't Milbank write a book on Glenn Beck that sold two copies? The one copy Milbank cried like a baby over because nobody bought his book and the second Eugene Robinson is still reading. Meanwhile Glenn Beck has published a couple of NY Times bestsellers.

Posted by: bignoisylawnmower | March 2, 2011 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Gee Toles, can you say Geek??

Not a painter either I see...

Posted by: bertzel | March 2, 2011 7:56 PM | Report abuse