The Bloggers

Southwest says: Charge!

Cindy Loose

Southwest Airlines this week announced it will test offering free power stations at Dallas Love Field so customers can charge electrical devices such as cell phones and laptops. The budget carrier also says it's thinking about expanding the service to other airports if this test is popular.

I say: Why wait? As long as there are signs so people know about it, I nearly guarantee it will be popular. Nothing worse than coming back from a trip and waiting for a connection and your phone's dead, and so is the portable DVD player and your kid's iPod.

I'd even be willing to pay for the cost of electricity for this service. Agree?

By Cindy Loose |  January 30, 2007; 12:27 PM ET  | Category:  Airline Industry , Cindy Loose
Previous: BWI or Bust | Next: Meat and Three and Me

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

That's impressive...now if only they could use that money to improve the quality of their actual flights. (Although if they won't do that, this isn't all that bad an alternative.)

Posted by: Anonymous | January 30, 2007 12:42 PM

at ABQ, the airport has lots of tables with plug-ins AND they provide free WIFI. how 'bout a list of airports that do this. we want to use them.

Posted by: john m | January 30, 2007 1:39 PM

Cindy,
Bravo for Southwest. And, YES, they should put the power stations all over. I flew yesterday out of Midway to Dulles and had to walk 2 gates over to find a free outlet.

And to the previous comment, Southwest flights are just fine. The staff is friendly and efficient. You're not paying for first class but you get solid customer service which is more then I can say for other airlines where I pay twice as much.

Posted by: Darryl D | January 30, 2007 1:40 PM

The power connection sockets will be broken and useless after the first month or two. This is not the era of respect for public/private property.

Southwest will end up charging for this service or abandoning it altogether. Probably the former, as it would definitely be useful, but costly.

Posted by: Norman D. | January 30, 2007 1:42 PM

Why not go one better and put power outlets on the seats in the airplanes?

Posted by: Richard | January 30, 2007 2:11 PM

Plugs next to airplane seats--even better. Do they have them sometimes in first class? Been so long since I've been up front I can't remember.

As to the blogger who'd like to know which airports have free WiFi and outlets: I can't help with the latter, but know of a place to find out which airports have WiFi and whether it's free and, if not, what they charge.

Go to www.travelpost.com or if you want the direct page, www.travelpost.com/airport-wireless-internet.aspx

Posted by: Cindy Loose | January 30, 2007 2:44 PM

There are a few places in airports you can find electrical outlets. They are not where the passangers sit at a gate but near an office/storage area or near phones. Two places I are with Northwest in detroit and minneapolis.

Posted by: Dan | February 1, 2007 12:36 PM

zkew dhzcn fqmzn alcqvg nary zdqovjygl lxrcy

Posted by: goxy quzhwjlac | February 15, 2007 2:41 PM