The Bloggers

Snakes a Problem?

Cindy Loose

A friend whose brother lives in Thailand promised to contact him for advice on where, besides the obvious, well-known places, I should visit on an upcoming trip.

Yesterday he came back with info on his favorite place, which he has visited repeatedly: Kao Yai National Park, and most particularly, a lodging called Jungle House. The property has elephants and monkeys roaming about and guides who will take you into a thick jungle. When he was there last week sitting on the terrace kicking back with a friend, a snake fell out of a tree.

Then he sends along a blog another visitor had written about the exciting jungle adventure and how he almost stepped on a snake that turned out to be a cobra, according to the guide.

My friend's brother also included in an e-mail lovely pictures of his last visit there with his young daughters enjoying wonderful food, surrounded by flowers, and one of a huge scorpion--that one without the girls in the foreground, I'm glad to say.

New ideas, please.

Of course it's not that I wouldn't like to stay in close proximity to snakes and scorpions, and the night-time trip to the bat cave sounds intriguing, it's just I'm not sure it would appeal to readers. But perhaps I'm wrong about that. My friend accuses me of being a wimp.

By Cindy Loose |  May 30, 2007; 9:52 AM ET  | Category:  Cindy Loose , Rants
Previous: Shop Till You...Run Out of Gas? | Next: Pilfering From Hotel Rooms

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Eh, feel free. Just put in warnings about the snakes; you've got people who are downright phobic of them like my mother and my boyfriend, but then there are others who are less afraid of such beasties, but still would like the warning so as to be sure to pack accordingly and watch our packs very closely so that they don't become a haven for intruders (hi there).

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2007 10:09 AM

Just your blog mention of snakes will have my brother-in-law and nephew booking a trip to Kao Yai and the Jungle House!

Posted by: Karen | May 30, 2007 10:40 AM

Thailand isn't the only place snakes drop out of trees. A few years back during the commencement program of a college in Maryland, a black snake dropped out of a tree onto the lap of a woman in the audience. If that were me, I'd have died right on the spot.

I'm even phobic about PICTURES of snakes. If there's a story in National Geographic about a swamp or a desert, you can be sure there's going to be a picture of a snake so I don't even open that issue.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2007 2:24 PM

I wish there were more stories with elements like that in the Travel section. My husband and I crave adventure vacations, and although I enjoy reading the Travel section, I find that we rarely get ideas from it for the types of places we like to go/activities we like to do. I'm taking note of this park and lodge. Sounds like a place we'd love.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 30, 2007 4:25 PM

when we visited Thailand in 2001, our last couple days were spent on Koh Chang, an island about an hour off shore near the Cambodian border. My wife, who was a Peace Corps volunteer in Thailand 30 years ago, commented that the island reminded her of what Puket (sp?) and other big-time resort areas were like back then: a quiet fishing village with a few low-scale hotels and restaurants. Because much of the island is a national park, development is minimal. It's just a great place to relax close to the beach, but with streams and waterfalls not that far inland for those so inclined. Photos available, if interested.

Posted by: ralph blessing | June 5, 2007 10:58 AM