The Bloggers

Turn It Down

Cindy Loose

Earlier this week I headed to a fabulous swimming pool with a faux sandy beach at the Las Vegas Mandalay Bay with thoughts of relaxing with a book, with hopes of falling into a well-deserved nap after getting up in time to see the sun rise over the Grand Canyon. The pool was there, as advertised, but instead of listening to the faux waves in the wave pool, I was assaulted with someone else's choice of loud music.

The better the resort, the louder the music, has been my experience. It's bothered me in Mexico, throughout the Caribbean, and in most U.S. resorts. In the past I've just figured some people must have their music. But in a time when everyone who can't do without constant noise owns an iPod or MP3 player, wouldn't they too prefer to pick their own music?

Let's have a vote. If the response is overwhelmingly in favor of turning off the noise, I'll send the comments off to the major hotel and resort chains.

But maybe it's just me, a grumpy old lady in search of peace.

By Cindy Loose |  June 13, 2007; 9:56 AM ET  | Category:  Cindy Loose , Rants
Previous: On the Road with . . . Borat? | Next: Cruise Report: Carnival Liberty

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

There's also a difference between other music being blared and other music being played. Played, I can turn on my iPod to a reasonable volume and tune out. Blared, I risk my hearing to do so.

Posted by: Grumpy Young Lady | June 13, 2007 10:22 AM

Turn it off!

Constant need for music to create atmosphere is one more reason to avoid "resorts".

Posted by: Another Grumpy Old Lady | June 13, 2007 11:01 AM

There's a time and a place for everything. Just back from the Greek islands and visited a wide range of beaches. Of course the "party beaches" on Mykonos and Ios were blasting club tunes, and of course there was blissful quiet on a private beach in Folegandros.

In Las Vegas, I'd expect a party vibe.

Posted by: Groovin Tunes | June 13, 2007 11:31 AM

I agree, the loud music is annoying. And what is cool music for some is horrible for others. Have some manners, and turn it DOWN!!

Posted by: Reston | June 13, 2007 11:34 AM

Turn it off! (or at least down!)

Posted by: RYW | June 13, 2007 12:12 PM

TURN IT OFF!! I have my iPod for that. If the hotel or resort is blasting it, there is no escape. I may be in the mood for soft jazz, and the hotel has on the latest pop-tart tune.

Posted by: hipster | June 13, 2007 12:14 PM

Turn it off! Restaurants, too!
It is almost impossible to have a conversation at dinner in some restaurants.
I ask about loud music when I make a reservation. If they say no music,and there is loud music, I ask to have it turned down. If they won't, we leave----even if we leave our dinners on the table.
Supermarkets and other stores, too. I ask for the manager, complain about loud noise, AND LEAVE.

Posted by: carolyn | June 13, 2007 12:15 PM

Turn it off! Restaurants, too!
It is almost impossible to have a conversation at dinner in some restaurants.

Posted by: carolyn | June 13, 2007 12:15 PM

Turn it off! Restaurants, too!
It is almost impossible to have a conversation at dinner in some restaurants.

Posted by: carolyn | June 13, 2007 12:15 PM

I vote to turn it off. I go to a resort in Mexico where they have 2 pools. One is always playing (extremely) loud music and the other I call the "quiet" pool. If they didn't have a quiet pool, I wouldn't go there! To me, quiet is synonymous with relaxing...

Posted by: Carol | June 13, 2007 12:38 PM

I see the Loud Music Fallacy has extended to swimming pools! Mainly observed at the beginning of parties, this is one of my personal favorite quirks of human behavior. Some folks seem to believe that playing loud, upbeat music has the power to instantaneously transform any situation into The Best Party You've Ever Been To. So maybe you were looking for a little peace and quiet first thing in the morning... but didn't you feel lucky that instead you stumbled across The Best Party You've Ever Been To? (nudge, wink)

It's never convinced me, either, and I'll add my vote for your survey: Please, turn it down!

Posted by: boston liz | June 13, 2007 1:03 PM

Turn it off. Restaurants too, for the most part. Silence is nice.

Posted by: Victoria | June 13, 2007 1:19 PM

Add my vote for turning the music OFF.

One person's music is another's noise.

Posted by: Lisa | June 13, 2007 2:02 PM

The casinos aren't stupid - they play it because it's part of their formula, their image, their secret sauce for making people feel like they are at a party all day/night. They do it because it makes them money, perpetuates the hotel/las vegas image.

Have you seen the commercials on TV for Las Vegas? Hmmm.... I wonder why the pool in the gambling capitol of the world is playing loud music? It's not the library...

Depending on the music I can be pretty annoyed by it too - so if it's obnoxious I leave instead of trying to change the resort.

Maybe you should go to spring break and complain about the loud music next!

Posted by: Go somewhere else | June 13, 2007 2:11 PM

Maybe you should go to spring break and complain about the loud music next!

Posted by: Go somewhere else | June 13, 2007 2:11 PM

To the person who advises I go somewhere else. I'm wondering where that should be. Okay, so Vegas is a party town. But I've also been to out of the way places where I feel assaulted by music I don't care to hear.

Posted by: cindy loose | June 13, 2007 2:29 PM

When I encounter a situation where I am assaulted by someone else's choice of music, I simply use the noise to make every one of my intestinal explosions and SBD. They share their stinky music with me. I share my stinky intestinal gas with them.

Posted by: Mister Methane | June 13, 2007 2:35 PM

Let's see... you want a beach without loud music. Here are several places I have been that fit that criteria... Keep in mind these beaches are not paradise, but they are decent, clean and quiet enough:

-Eastern Shore VA/MD
-VA Beach north of 50th street or south around Sandbridge
-Hilton Head, SC
-Ocracoke, NC
-Hateras, NC (not sure I spelled it right)
-Clearwater Beach, FL (near Tampa)
-FLA Keys (though not all are quiet, many are)

I share your opinion on the loud music at the pool 100%. But maybe you, and many others, are going to the wrong places. All inclusive resorts and party towns/beaches are alcohol fueled and full of partygoers - both of which lead to loud music. Maybe going to a beach that isn't on a rooftop or centrally managed by a resort (i.e. a public beach with stricter rules) is a better idea.

Posted by: Go somewhere else | June 13, 2007 2:49 PM

I've never been to Vegas but perhaps the point of the music is to get everyone to go into the casino to gamble instead of sitting at the pool.

I agree that everyone who wants to hear music at a place like a pool, the beach, etc. brings their own so it shouldn't be blared by the establishment.

Posted by: Not a Vegas girl | June 13, 2007 3:13 PM

The pool at Mandalay Bay is not the pool at, say, the Hard Rock. Particularly in the middle of the afternoon. Different hotels / resorts have different clientele, even in a town like Vegas, where everybody's selling the same basic fantasy. They could turn down the volume without damaging their reputation.

Posted by: BxNY | June 13, 2007 3:25 PM

I agree. The restaurant I frequent most is the one where I can sit outside, away from the party atmosphere. Sometimes I just want a good meal, away from home, without the party. That's not easy to find, so matter the level of restaurant.

Did you ask them to turn down the pool music?

Posted by: AB | June 13, 2007 7:18 PM

Cindy can you recommend any places to eat in Vegas? How does the Venetian compare to Mandalay Bay???

It depends on the music. Reggae, Jimmy, Stones, The Who, Buddy Guy, George Throughgood Elvis Costello and his lovely wife yeah. Rap and Hip Hop forget.

Or the reesorts should go classical all the time!

Posted by: Clifton, va | June 14, 2007 7:28 AM

Who else can help with where to eat in Vegas? I had only two meals there---was just passing through on why to the Grand Canyon skywalk. Lunch was at a Mexican grill in the Mandalay which was only okay. I really enjoyed dinner at the Crown and Anchor British Pub (1350 Tropicana). It's a short say three minute drive from the strip so I guess you'd need a car. We sat outside of what seems to be a village pub in the middle of Vegas; the food was typical English fare like roast beef and yorkshire pudding and shepherd's pie and fish and chips, but very inexpensive and good. I'm sure others have more experience of the hundreds of restaurants in Vegas.

As to Venetian vs Mandalay---both are very big and very nice. The Venetian is more in the midst of the strip--the Mandalay, next door to the Luxor, are at the end of the strip yet very accessible to it. It's really a matter of taste; you can't go wrong with either one. This of course assumes that you like huge, Vegas-style hotels. You could look at comments at Tripadvisor.com

Posted by: Cindy Loose | June 14, 2007 9:39 AM

Add me to the "Unpump the Volume" team. A resort like Mandalay Bay could certainly accomodate people who want to relax by the pool by day by keeping the music unobtrusive during the day and raising the volume later in the afternoon if they want to transition to a happy hour vibe. Even the Spring Breakers like a little quiet in the mornings when they're stumbling around with hangovers! (And keep in mind that their "morning" often begins around noon...)

Posted by: Karen | June 14, 2007 10:42 AM

Please, Cindy, do us all a favor and let the hotels, resorts, etc. know that their loud music is NOT appreciated.

Posted by: Sara | June 15, 2007 12:18 PM

Gosh...I'd always kind of liked the idea of going to an all-inclusive resort sometime, but not if it means getting blasted with music all day. Thanks, I likes my silence sometimes!

Posted by: h3 | June 18, 2007 12:29 PM

-- Turn off the music, everywhere, except maybe at the dentist's office, where it can be nice to have a distraction...

--- Vegas eats: Had a good and very filling meal at the Chinese restaurant in NY NY.
Good Chinese also in Wynn, Red something.

Within the last week or two, the Post listed a BBQ place just off the Strip.

Posted by: me | June 18, 2007 5:19 PM

For great food try Brothers Three at New York-NY. For the best hotel with great atmosphere at the pool try Caesars Palace.

Posted by: Marlene | June 18, 2007 9:33 PM

Bellagio also has great food in their restaurant

Posted by: Marlene | June 18, 2007 9:36 PM

Just got back from my honeymoon visit to two Los Cabos resorts in Baja Mexico, the Villa La Estancia (Cabo San Lucas), and One and Only Palmilla (San Jose Del Cabo). Both had quiet pool and beachside areas without piped in music/noise - just wind, pool splashes, and ocean waves breaking on the beach.

The One and Only Palmilla was the best of the two for many reasons, in regards to this discussion, because they had two separate pools, one for families and the other an adult only pool. Neither had booming tunes or music - and the adult area even required muted cell phones!

The beach area was even quieter since there was a no swimming area on the rocky beachfront facing south, so no kids squeeling or shrieks, or music of any kind. Exceptional accomodations and areas for either pool and beach frolicing and parties, or total peace and quiet - for relaxing honemooners like us!

Posted by: SurfDaddie | June 20, 2007 4:45 PM

Loud/music noise can ruin my experience, even if I like the music! I vote for very quiet or no music and those who want it can supply their own.

Posted by: Linda | June 21, 2007 7:04 PM