The Bloggers

Hey, Look! It's, Uh, Andy Dick

John Deiner

Admit it: You still get a kick when you unexpectedly spot a celebrity when you travel. Sometimes, even if the trip is fantastic for any number of reasons, you'll start conversations years from now with, "Hey, remember when we saw Charo in Disney World?"

Happened to me recently in San Francisco. Great city, great weather, great time. So what do I remember?

Andy Dick.

While I waited outside a candy store along Fisherman's Wharf while my mom and wife scarfed down free samples inside, I spotted a gangly goofball whom I vaguely recognized coming toward me down the sidewalk. He was flanked by two other gangly goofballs. It wasn't until I heard the voice that I knew that has-been greatness -- Andy Dick, he of "NewsRadio" fame and other less recommendable fare -- was passing by. I grabbed my camera and snapped a few bad shots of him in the crowd. I really don't know why, except that I'm a sucker for "star" sightings. No one else seemed to notice him, or care.

(Actually, that apathy extended to my family. When I told them about my sighting, my wife said, "Ewww," while my mother said, "Who the *&^% is Andy Dick?")

Anyhow, it got me thinking about other star sightings while on the road. I remember bumping into Jim Nabors in a Vegas casino; he spilled his bucket of quarters because of it and started cursing at me (he and my mom would get along famously). The last time I was in New York, Chris Noth was standing on a street corner sweating like a pig. I sat behind former Georgetown coach John Thompson on a redeye once, and just after 9/11 watched as John McLaughlin fumed at BWI because he had to wait in a long security line. Maybe the weirdest: Dick Clark strolling to his limo about an hour after the ball dropped in Times Square, his fur-clad wife clinging to his arm.

Okay, so maybe it wasn't Brangelina. Whom have you guys spotted while on vacation? It has to be better than Andy Dick, right?

By John Deiner |  July 6, 2007; 9:39 AM ET  | Category:  John Deiner , Tales from the Road , The Odd File
Previous: Sleep vs. Blood Clots | Next: Will Wonders Never Cease, Part 2

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

We sat behind Sara Ramirez (Dr. Torres on Grey's Anatomy) at a Broadway show in May. She was very nice to the people that talked to her and very pretty in person too!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 10:45 AM

I was in line for Pirates of the Caribbean behind Jimmy and Rosalyn Carter. He was also on Big Thunder Mountain Railroad at the same time we were. The Secret Service needs to learn that wearing Mickey Mouse ponchos over their dark suits does not help them blend in at Disney World, it just makes them look stupid. Marching band trip - apparently he stayed around for the Electric Light Parade because my parents were across the way from him when we marched by (playing the highly inappropriate "The Heat Is On In Saigon" from the musical Miss Saigon because no one could be bothered to learn separate music just for parades).

Oh, and I saw Fyvush Finkel coming out of Fosse.

Neither of which is terribly better than Andy Dick, really.

Posted by: MB | July 6, 2007 10:49 AM

Not sure if DC celebs count, but saw Karl Rove at National Airport on June 23, apparently flying to Milwaukee.

Posted by: Terminal E | July 6, 2007 11:09 AM

Sat next to Mary J. Blige on a flight from Vegas to DC. Her entourage took up nearly the entire first class section and I nearly got bumped, even as a United 1K flyer. Frankly, they could have used a bit less perfume and they were LOUD.

Sat across from Mary Matalin & James Carville (OK, famous for DC) on a flight from Atlanta to LAX. Got an autograph...they seemed to be a cute, but very intense, couple.

Saw Parker Posey (You've Got Mail, Best in Show) at a Starbucks in NYC.

Saw Matthew McConahay and Lance Armstrong (not spelled right, but the good looking actor) at a bar in San Antonio.

Posted by: Lester Burnham | July 6, 2007 11:18 AM

Posted by: Tom T. | July 6, 2007 11:37 AM

When I was in the 5th grade, I saw Oprah talking to Cinderella at Cinderella's castle in Disney World. Alas, most of my famous people sightings are DC politicos around DC. : (

Posted by: Student traveler | July 6, 2007 11:39 AM

When I was in college, one of my favorite soap stars(Steve/Patch - Days of Our Lives) (used to watch them then) came in to the store that I worked in. I commented to him about how much I liked his character. A week later, they killed him off. Miracle of miracles, however, as would be expected in soap opera land, while flipping channels on Wednesday, I noticed that he is alive again!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 12:33 PM

Coming back from Ireland through JFK, we saw Frank Whaley (Field of Dreams, Mannequin, Swing Kids...oh, never mind).

Most recently, while weather-delayed in DCA (returning to the Midwest), we were sitting and tapping our impatient feet across from Joe Theismann (sp?) I didn't recognize him, but DH did, and when he pointed Mr. Theismann out to me, I thought he was an old friend of my dad's LOL When I went to get a sandwich (I can only wait so long without food), I was in line behind him. Much taller than I thought...

Posted by: librarylady | July 6, 2007 12:40 PM

I stood next to Sean Bean once at the Windsor Arms Hotel in Toronto. Now I know how "Sharpe" must have felt, finally seeing Napoleon up close at Waterloo.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 6, 2007 1:33 PM

Last month we saw John Malkovich while walking down Lexington Avenue in New York. He was talking with two women on the sidewalk who had obviously stopped him. He was smiling and seemed very polite.

Posted by: Capitol Hill | July 6, 2007 2:20 PM

I saw Jesse Bradford walking down the street in Greenwich Village a few weeks ago. Don't know who he is? Neither did I - but the best part of the story is, I e-mailed a vague description of him to a friend ("looks kind of like carson daly, only younger, and in my mental image of him, one eyebrow is higher than the other") and she got it right on the first guess. She e-mailed back "Jesse Bradford?" and I googled and, indeed. It was him. I'd just seen the last 20 minutes or so of Bring It On a week or so earlier, so I guess he was fresh in my brain.

Posted by: h3 | July 6, 2007 3:11 PM

In 2004, on the monorail/people mover from the Southwest terminal in Vegas, we noticed a guy with longish blond hair wearing beat-up jeans that seemed to be painted on him they were so tight. His shirt was a "The Firm" concert t-shirt, circa 1985. (Bonus points to anyone who remembers them.) It was Tommy Shaw from Styx. He's about five feet tall. As we walked to baggage claim, there he was on the airport JumboTron -- literally twice actually size -- which was running an ad for their show that night.

Yeah, as you can tell, I never seen anybody good.

Posted by: C. | July 6, 2007 3:40 PM

saw jon voight a few months back walking into Il Mulino when they were filming national treasure 2.

Posted by: ed | July 6, 2007 4:51 PM

saw ralph nader having an early dinner two tables away from us at a fairly empty Skewers on P street 2 weeks ago. I refrained from blaming him for the war in Iraq.

Posted by: Andrea | July 6, 2007 6:47 PM

EASY RIDERS VIET NAM
Da Lat - Lak lake - Yokdon national park - Nha Trang (19,20,21 - June - 07)
Just spent 3 days with our guide: Larry, Curly and Moe, we had a fantastic time. We visited the Crazy house, Floral gardens, Silk worm factory, tones of waterfalls, swam in a Mountain river, stayed in a minority village, camped out in the jungle, rode an elephant (not the dirty kind of ride!!) and drank lots and lots of lovely rice wine.

The lads are brilliant, great craic!! if you really want to see Vietnam do this trip!!

We really cant really give enough praise outstanding, thanks for making our trip lads!!

From: Dave, Mick, Eddie, Ireland
website: http://www.easyrider.vn

Posted by: EASY RIDER VIET NAM | July 6, 2007 10:11 PM

Paris Hilton cut ahead of me in line at Coachella 2007 to buy some corn.

Story, with pictures: http://laurafries.com/archives/meeting_parishilton/

Posted by: LauraFries.com | July 9, 2007 3:11 PM

My friends and I saw Ella Fitzgerald getting out of a taxi in Manhattan when I was a teenager - she was gracious when we squealed in delight. And I once danced with Ronnie Wood at the China Club, again in NYC. But I just got back from L.A. and didn't spot a single darn movie star.

Posted by: Karen | July 9, 2007 3:39 PM

Some years ago, waiting to pick somebody up curbside at a Houston airport, I saw David Hasselhoff waiting to get into a limo. He was just standing there patiently. He was wearing a tan trenchcoat and looked so perfectly handsome, I was stunned.

I was never that much of a Hoff fan, but he absolutely looked the part of a star, perfect posture, gracious expression.

I still give him a lot of the benefit of the doubt because he wasn't behaving badly in any way, even though it was crowded and crazy at the airport. A lot of celebs would have been fuming.

Posted by: Marie | July 9, 2007 9:23 PM

::Barry Bostwick once went into a coffee shop where my girlfriend was working. He seemed irritated that she didn't recognize him.::

My friend had a similar experience at a coffee shop inside of a mall. She was waiting in line to order when the singer from the band Live walked up to the counter, cutting in front of the other customers to ask for a refill. The barista did not recognize him and asked him to step back into line and she would get his refill after serving the other customers in front of him. This apparently upset Live dude but the barista didn't seem to care and my friend applauded her for that.

Posted by: to Tom T. | July 11, 2007 5:52 PM

Posted by: to Tom T. | July 11, 2007 5:52 PM

I literally ran into singer Michael Jackson while traipsing rapidly to my connecting gate at LAX. MJ was walking ahead of his entourage/bodyguards and I was looking around for my gate. Crashed right in to him. And hey, John Deiner, my brother DATED Jim Nabors!

Posted by: Bethesda | July 11, 2007 9:39 PM

My Mother would never say *&^% .

Posted by: Ethan | July 12, 2007 8:12 AM

Vancouver, BC is a place to see celebs. I saw Will from "will and grace" eating and I thought I saw Alex Cabot from "Law and Order SVU" rollerblading there last week. On another visit, I saw cameron diax walking her dogs

On the flight back last weeks , I saw softball pitcher Jennie Finch and basketball player Tyson Chandler in the airports (YVR and DFW, respectively)

Posted by: vantravel | July 12, 2007 1:18 PM