The Bloggers

Southwest and Revealing Outfits, Part Deux

John Deiner

Another one?

She hasn't exactly seized the nation's attention like Kyla Ebbert, who was told by Southwest Airlines recently that she was dressed too skankily to fly (she adjusted her clothes and was permitted to take a seat), but a second flier targeted by the airline has surfaced.

According to a Jacksonville, Fla., TV news report, one Setara Qassim was told to bundle up in June because of her skimpy attire.

Hmmm. I'm starting to understand Southwest's side on this issue, and some of the responses to my previous blog on this subject. Evidently, the poor thing had to wrap herself in a blanket on her entire flight between Burbank and Las Vegas, despite the searing heat on the ground. And, really now, why did it take her three months for her to come forward? In the news clip, she says she felt exactly the way that Ebbert felt -- except she, of course, hasn't gotten to talk to Matt Lauer on the subject.

Then again, there are those who say that Southwest is just being hypocritical, that for years it used scantily dressed flight attendants to drive up business. To that end, check out this illuminating piece by Dallas Morning News columnist Cheryl Hall.

I have to admit that I dress like a slob when I fly, though I usually leave the skimpy outfits at home. And am I the only one who gets sort of grossed out by flipflops on airlines that come off the moment the flight takes off? Are those nasty airline floors the best place for bare feet? And while I'm at it, you can keep your naked toes away from me as well.

By John Deiner |  September 12, 2007; 2:34 PM ET  | Category:  Airline Industry , John Deiner , The Odd File
Previous: Cutting in Line | Next: Is Canada the Boring Girl Next Door?

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Look, if bare feet on a plane floor bother you then leave your own shoes and socks on. I'm sure everyone has done something that mildly annoys other passengers. Ever though how you'd feel about getting kicked off a plane for putting your seat back or because your child seems restless.

Posted by: Annoyances | September 12, 2007 2:58 PM

I support the actions of S/W airlines regarding dress attire. I am alarmed at not only the people on the street but the girls in high school in Bozeman Montana who wear the shortest of shorts to school. When I taught in Michigan 20 years ago, we would not allow acantily dressed girls to attend classes and be also did not allow either boys or girls to wear shirts with vulgar wording or emblems.

Posted by: Ben Dirks | September 12, 2007 3:01 PM

Having recently flown from Phila to Albuquerque I am pleased to report that everyone had plenty of clothing on, however, we were aghast when the flight attendent felt compelled to announce upon landing in ABQ that our pilot had just flown one of his very first flights! Now that's inappropriate...

Posted by: joan c | September 12, 2007 3:02 PM

John, u say at the end of your article, Anyhow, take a look at this new potential SWA evictee and let me know what you think. Did Southwest go too far, or not far enough? however i don't see a picture. where is the link to the picture to decide?

thanks,

submariner

Posted by: submariner | September 12, 2007 3:21 PM

Thanks, submariner. Click on the link to the "TV news report" in the blog text and you can watch the Florida channel's report.

Posted by: John Deiner | September 12, 2007 3:30 PM

I'd love to learn the details of these incidents. I saw the skirt the one girl was wearing and it was incredibly short -- and was later informed that she was asked to put on panties. Now if she really was "commando" in that skirt, there is NO way she wouldn't have been "doing a Britney" and exposing her nether regions. As a horny male passenger I would have applauded and handed her a single dollar bill -- but also cringed for everyone else on the flight who couldn't help but notice her pubic hair choice. Please -- wear panties if your skirt is soooo short you can't help but show yourself when you sit down.

Posted by: colorado kool aid | September 12, 2007 4:22 PM

Yes, way to go Southwest. But don't stop there. If a flight attendant doesn't like a passenger's haircut, that person should be removed from the flight. Same for somebody wearing unattractive shoes. Mis-matched socks - off the plane! Bad breath - get out! Untrimmed nose hair - put them in the cargo bay. Too short - handcuff them and lead 'em off the plane. Strong eyeglass prescriptions - make them wear a bag over their head. ANY supporter of Amnesty John - kick the Sh*t out of them, then throw them off the plane at 30,000 feet. And on and on and on...

That will teach those annoying people known as "paying passengers" who's BOSS.

Posted by: ALEX H. | September 12, 2007 4:35 PM

What's all this brouhaha about skimpy outfits? If a young hottie wants to dress like a 'ho and give me a free show on the flight, good for her. Even better for me, 'cause I don't have to annoy other passengers by reading my copy of Playboy.

Posted by: Mister Johnson | September 12, 2007 4:45 PM

There was a time when folks dressed up to travel, not as if they were about to start their pole dancing routine.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 5:12 PM

As an aspiring actress, I plan to dress scantily and appear at my nearest Southwest counter this week. See you on the news!

Posted by: Carmen | September 12, 2007 5:27 PM

I have to fly a lot. I hate it. Airports are lousy, flights are overcrowded, luggage is lost, delays are frequent. Every once in a while I hit the travel lottery - I'm seated next to an attractive young woman in an attractive outfit.

Please Southwest, don't crush our dreams!

Posted by: Anonymous | September 12, 2007 6:50 PM

In the first incident, I did think the young woman's skirt was a tad short for comfort (note that the press mostly used a screen-shot of her standing up with the skirt pulled down - not a shot of her sitting down, where the skirt was incredibly brief and her underwear was exposed).

If she was indeed not wearing underwear, I can see why SW might have been upset. As someone mentioned in the original thread re: the Playboy magazine - I really don't want to sit next to that. If her underwear was exposed - well, we've all kinda gotten used to that in teen fashion these days.

The second incident? The young woman is quite endowed and obviously dresses to show it off. But the dress covered up her assets and was of an appropriate length, unlike the first incident. Maybe not the prettiest dress in the world, but she was covered up. That incident was out of line.

What kills me here is who would WANT to dress like that on an airplane? Who knows what's on airline seats? I wear khakis or a long skirt on summer flights because I simply don't want my legs in contact with the seat fabric!

Posted by: Chasmosaur | September 12, 2007 7:00 PM

Too bad Hooters Air isn't flying anymore....

Posted by: aces | September 12, 2007 7:01 PM

Times change. This could be a way for airlines to lure passengers back onto the planes. Encourage young women to dress their sexiest. Maybe they could have prostitutes strut their stuff up and down the aisles during flights. NOT.

Posted by: Folger | September 13, 2007 4:24 AM

This is just ridiculous. I've seen the pictures of both outfits (although the link in this post didn't work for me). I wouldn't wear anything like it myself, or be impressed with someone who dressed that way, but since when can an airline tell people how to dress, as long as they're not actually naked (or showing pubes or whatever) in public? I would be more disgusted by someone reading Ann Coulter on a plane than by one of these skimpy outfits--does that give me the right to have him kicked off a flight? What with all the miseries of flying these days, Southwest has more important issues to deal with, like overscheduled and chronically late flights, long lines for check-in and security, or maybe in-flight drink service.

Posted by: csdiego | September 13, 2007 7:37 AM

"Ever though how you'd feel about getting kicked off a plane for putting your seat back"

We can only dream of that fine day...

As for the women, well, I can't see any downside to letting hot women wear revealing clothes. If they don't have a problem with it, then no one else should either. Let people make their own decisions.

Posted by: k | September 13, 2007 10:52 AM

If you've got it, flaunt it, seems to be the consensus position here. So as long as there are no health or safety violations involved, why not have the other passengers make the call? Ask the scantily-clad young women to board last, and give everybody else "Hot"/"Not" flashcards (no pun intended) to hold up as they come on board. Majority rules.

Posted by: NorthernNY | September 13, 2007 1:53 PM