The Bloggers

Are You More Stupider Than a Fifth-Grader?

John Deiner

Oh, Kellie Pickler, you poor "American Idol" also-ran.

I don't watch "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader?" on Fox, but boy . . . you just have to love this clip of Pickler on the show. I understand that she may not know what Budapest is the capital of, but not knowing that Hungary is a country is just plain sad. And scary. Do you think she can be this stupid, or is she just playing exceptionally dumb? And what does it say about people and their geography skills in general?

By John Deiner |  December 12, 2007; 12:40 PM ET  | Category:  John Deiner , The Odd File
Previous: Unclogging New York Airports | Next: Making a (Packing) List, Checking It Twice

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

We do watch that show sometimes and sometimes we don't get the answer right because it is asked in a strange way. boy! That wasn't asked in any dubious fashion! Now in her defense, I know that in 3rd grade I didn't know there was a Hungary. I remember learning about the geography of the world including that "country", Europe, in 5th grade. That's when I decided that I had to see those places like Paris,Munich and Roma. She may have just focused on choir. I can't sing so there ya go. Pretty but DUM dumb so dumb there's no B!

Posted by: Bearmom | December 12, 2007 1:15 PM

Oh dear, and she's a blonde to boot.

That's it, I'm stopping by CVS on my way home to pick up some hair dye....

Posted by: Smart Blonde | December 12, 2007 2:30 PM

Well I remember in 2nd grade our teacher asked what was the capital of Maryland. Classmate after classmate answered incorrectly -- Ocean City, Bowie (where we lived), Washington DC, etc. Thanks to having the Game of the States boardgame at home, I not only knew Maryland's capital, but all of the other 49. I basked in glory as my teacher finally called on me -- "ANNAPOLIS" I yelled. Ah, I still get a smile on my face thinking back at that.

As a more direct comment, my guess is that she probably really didn't know. You have to have a real interest in the world around you for the names, dates, etc. to really sink in. I work with a bunch of MBAs who are totally on top of their game, but I wouldn't want them on my Trivial Pursuit team.

Posted by: Moment of 2nd Grade Glory | December 13, 2007 9:48 AM

I worked with a woman who had lived in the South and on the West Coast. She moved here, and was working on her master's degree. She actually thought West Virginia was like Northern Virginia. Well, I suppose that she's only one hundred and forty+ years off.

Posted by: Kara | December 13, 2007 3:58 PM

I recently returned from a trip to visit my sister in Albuquerque NM. Both my sister and my niece told me that they have been asked by US tourists where the US Embassy was located.

Posted by: rja112 | December 17, 2007 2:32 AM

My dad was telling a couple of 12 year old neighborhood girls that he was in the Korean war, and they responded "What's a Korea?"

Posted by: Kensington | December 19, 2007 5:50 PM