The Bloggers

Travel Personality Quiz: What Type Are You?

John Deiner

One holiday down, one more to go. Here's hoping you all had a restful, fun and otherwise mirthful day yesterday. Now that we have New Year's Eve to look forward to, that means that something else may be on a lot of minds: where to travel in 2008.

Not going to suggest a bunch of ideas here, but pass on an interesting quiz that determines what sort of traveler you are. (What did we do before the Internet and all these time-killers arrived? Work, maybe?)

Anyhow, the quiz was developed by one Stanley C. Plog and can be found at Besttripchoices.com. It's called the Plog Travel Personality Quiz and is at the top of the page. I may just be late finding it, but hopefully I'm not the only one. I took it last week (it takes all of two minutes) and discovered that I'm a "centric venturer." You knew that, didn't you?

According to the results, "It would be easy to assume that you are simply an 'average' personality and do not go to extremes on most things. This assumption, however, would cover over your much more unique personality characteristics and behaviors. More than other groups, you use mixed transportation modes for leisure travel. In the same year, you are likely to fly to one or two destinations and drive to a couple of others. In contrast, your counterparts prefer either to fly (venturers) or drive (authentics). Although air travel saves tremendous amounts of time when the distances are great, the convenience of auto travel (take everything that you want with you and leave when you want to), along with the ability to move at your own pace provides its own inherent interest."

It goes on and on, but, I have to admit, it pretty much nailed me. Go ahead and take the quiz when you get the chance and report back. How does it measure up?

By John Deiner |  December 26, 2007; 7:36 AM ET  | Category:  John Deiner
Previous: Kids and Travel: A Guilty Plea | Next: TripAdvisor: 10 Funniest Traveler Comments of 2007

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

I'm the same as you, so I'll excerpt a different paragraph that applies especially to me:

"The kinds of things that you like to buy on trips to foreign lands are the products that various countries specialize in as part of their national heritage. Thus, wool sweaters and skirts in Scotland or England; crystal in England, Germany or Scandinavia; pottery and silver in Mexico; or semiprecious stones from various countries around the world serve not only as reminders of a great vacation, but they can be used when you return home."

To which my reaction is: well, yeah, but...doesn't everyone buy souvenirs that way? Am I onto something? I thought I was just buying cool stuff I could use every day. (I'm wearing a sweater from Norway right now, and one of my favorite necklaces is a semiprecious stone from Cambodia.) What do other people buy?

Posted by: h3 | December 26, 2007 11:37 AM

It rated me a "mid-venturer" and like you, I found the narrative uncannily accurate! Thanks for finding this and writing on it; I'm going to have my husband take it next!

Posted by: Sherry | December 26, 2007 12:12 PM

Another "mid-venturer" here! I suspect I was a full-fledged venturer in my 20s, but am getting a bit soft with age. Mr. Deiner, do you suppose there's something self-selecting about the sort of people who read the Post's travel articles and blogs?

Posted by: Pittsburgh | December 26, 2007 3:27 PM

Another mid-venturer here, and mostly happy with the description, except for the part about only reading an occasional book (voracious reader here, and not just travel books). Otherwise a very accurate portrait of my travel habits.

Posted by: cincinnati | December 26, 2007 3:59 PM

Yet another mid-venturer who's stunned by the accuracy of the profile after answering just a few questions....

Posted by: seatown | December 26, 2007 5:50 PM

I am another mid-venturer. Cincinnati, I agree with you. I am also an avid book reader, and I don't read too many popular magazines. Well I'll take that back, but they are more specific interest ( Handwoven, Budget Travel, Smithsonian, The Advocate) rather then general interest.

h3, I concur, My tourist purchases tend to be useful rather than just decorative, if they are for myself. When I was younger, they were usually T-shirts. Now they are getting to be other things. Now I can't pass up pretty stone pendants, and textiles. But I will say, if there weren't people that bought/collected thimbles, teaspoons, and refrigerater magnets etc. they wouldn't sell them.

Posted by: rja112 | December 27, 2007 1:21 AM

Hmmmmmmmmm. How odd. We're ALL mid-venturers? My wife took the test and she was a centric-venturer, whatever that is. But we're pretty happy together, so I guess it's a good mix.

Posted by: John Deiner | December 27, 2007 10:18 AM

Funny, I'm a mid-venturer too - I suppose we're the types most likely to read this blog?

One thing I noticed, in digging a bit deeper on the website, is that the destinations listed on the site are very limited, and most of the destinations of interest to a venturer or mid-venturer are not included. For example, Africa is completely unrepresented, the mideast is unrepresented with the exception of Israel, and the only South American destination is Brazil. I hope the website is expanding - right now it has a long way to go.

Posted by: adub | December 27, 2007 3:18 PM

I knew I had read about this before. Turns out it was only a month ago on this very same blog. Since it's the holidays, I guess it can be forgiven. Slow news period on all fronts, even travel.

Posted by: Theresa | December 27, 2007 4:48 PM

Good point, Theresa! I'd forgotten it myself -- too much eggnog at the company party.

Posted by: John Deiner | December 27, 2007 4:53 PM

Yet another mid-venturer here. After a particularly bad experience traveling with friends in Puerto Rico, I'm making any future travel companions take this quiz!

Posted by: Liz | December 28, 2007 6:20 PM

I took this test, and I was revealed to be the centric-authentic personality type. There's a problem with it, however: This personality type assumes I own or operate motor vehichles, which is NOT the case. I either fly to my destinations or I cruise to them. I only buy things I collect or use, such as fridge magnets, lapel pins or coffee mugs.

Posted by: Shep C. Willner | December 31, 2007 12:21 PM

Hi - I'm a "mid-authentic" apparently. I agreed with much of the descriptions, except for the preference for travel by auto or SUV v. flying; watching TV v. reading and I darn sure enjoy a good trip over hanging out at home! A lot of our travel does involve attending college sporting events, so the quiz properly identified that passion. (Oh no, football season is almost over...!!)

Posted by: Leslie | January 2, 2008 11:17 AM