The Bloggers

Insta-Q&A: Finding Someone to Travel With

Scott Vogel

If it's Wednesday, that must mean it's time for another edition of Insta-Q&A, in which you can both pose questions to the Travel section and help out fellow travelers with your own answers to their queries. If you have some advice for today's questioner, by all means post a comment (and if you've got a question of your own, e-mail us at travelqa@washpost.com). This week we're sweetening the deal, offering a prize for the most helpful comment: something from our great big box of promotional junque.

Let's see if we can help out Sally from Herndon. She writes:

I am retiring this summer and my husband does not like to travel. Most of my friends work still and cannot take extended vacations or do not have the money. ... I really hate to pay single supplements because they are really high, especially if it's a cruise. Do you know where I might be able to find other women in my age group (middle 50's) that are looking for others to travel with?

As you probably know, the travel industry has always preferred that people take trips in pairs. Consequently, we get questions of this nature a lot and are always looking for new services to recommend to solo travelers. There are Web sites that will match you up with others in a similar situation (www.travelchums.com is one) and tour companies that specialize in group trips for solo travelers. Singles Travel International is one (www.singlestravelintl.com) of these. As for solo travelers who prefer to travel alone, there's lots of helpful information available at Web sites like www.travelaloneandloveit.com.

What tips do you have for travelers like Sally interested in finding other women to travel with? Has anyone else out there used one of the above services or another they'd like to recommend? Any and all ideas are welcome.

By Scott Vogel |  February 13, 2008; 7:48 AM ET  | Category:  Insta-CoGo , Scott Vogel , Travel Strategies
Previous: Death of a Bookstore | Next: The Mail Bag: Little Bottles of Soap!

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

You might want to try out day trips from your city's or county's recreation program. My mom was a bit hesitant to go on one, so I went along. Loads of women 50+. I was able to link her up with others who like to travel.

Posted by: Fairfax | February 13, 2008 12:46 PM

There are excellent resources for women who wish to travel without their spouse.My company Serendipity Traveler which provides inspired travel for active women is a resource. We provide women the opportunity to join us for small group tours rather than travel alone or search for a travel partner. Our clients are single, married, divorced or widowed and prefer the safety and camaraderie of a small group. Details are available at www.serendipitytraveler.com

Posted by: Peggy Coonley /Serendipity Traveler | February 13, 2008 1:13 PM

I am anxious to see the responses. My mom likes to travel far more than my dad and had a wonderful travel companion for years. Sadly, her friend did not survive her long battle with breast cancer. I would love to be able to help my mom find some resources to get back out there.

Posted by: For Mom | February 13, 2008 2:28 PM

I've received brochures from a company called "Adventures in Good Company" that offers adventure travel tours for women. (The adventures seem to range from light hiking to serious climbing.) Judging from the brochure, I'd guess that most of their travelers are in their mid 40s-60s.
Also, there are several tour companies that pair single travelers with a roommate of the same gender rather than charging a single supplement. A few that I can think of are Explore, Intrepid, GAP, Exodus and Imaginative Traveller. I think that most of these attract a range of ages and nationalities, and singles and couples or groups.

Posted by: Macha | February 13, 2008 3:28 PM

The suggestion from Fairfax about rec center daytrips is a good one. For travel abroad, Sally might want to look at Gutsy Women Travel (www.gutsywomentravel.com). On their Web site, they have a profile of the typical participant in their tours.

Posted by: Erika Christ/Viva Europa Travel | February 15, 2008 2:15 PM