The Bloggers

Insta-CoGo: Line Rage at Disney World?

John Deiner

Love Disney, hate Disney, sort of love Disney, really hate Disney: Travelers are generally of mixed opinion on the place. But man, what to make of this?

According to a report on Orlando's Fox TV affiliate, a woman named Aimee Krause has accused Alabama native Victoria Walker of beating her up after she was accused of cutting in line. With her kids. On the Mad Tea Cup ride.

Thanks to the pop-culture blog Jaunted for bringing this to my attention. According to the Fox report, the incident "could send Walker to jail for 15 years. The incident happened in May of 2007, but because the victim is now suffering serious after affects prosecutors are going forward with the case. . . . Court documents say Walker beat Krause because Krause supposedly skipped Walker in the Mad Tea Cup ride line. 'She came from behind just screaming,' Krause said this week. 'Next thing I knew she kicked me in my left leg, threw me to the ground and at that point I was pinned between the teacup and the saucer and she continued to beat up on my body.' "

Certainly can't condone her actions, if the allegations are true, but I feel Walker's pain. I dig the World, but man, those lines can go on forever (and FastPass can be a good thing, but you can only use a limited number -- on a busy day, there's just no getting away from the hordes queueing up). No word in the report whether Krause actually cut in line. And after a day of dealing with all things Disney, a lot of people are ready to blow their stack.

But haven't we all been in that situation in our travels? Mostly, I suspect, we stay tight-lipped to avoid a scene. But when the lips come unglued, watch out. A few weeks ago in the Antigua airport, I saw two women nearly come to blows when one of them sauntered in from the sidelines and jumped in front of everyone while we were lining up to board. A police officer finally broke up the shouting match -- and the line cutter still got on first.

And theme park lines can be the worst: thuggish kids pushing to the front, people smoking (ack), thuggish adults pushing to the front. But really now . . . those teapcups aren't worth waiting for in the first place.

How do you handle line cutters?

By John Deiner |  March 25, 2008; 7:11 AM ET  | Category:  Insta-CoGo , John Deiner , Tourist Traps
Previous: The Monday Rant: New York Hotel Rates | Next: Bus Wars! Another Way to Get to NYC for a Buck

View or post comments

Comments

Please email us to report offensive comments.

Growing up we used to visit Disney 1 or 2 times a year. Waiting in line under the hot sun was part of the trip and the tradition. The invention of fast passes made things seem unfair but either way there have always been people cutting in line, morstly foreigners who didnt understand or follow the unspoken "western" rule of queuing. We only gave them dirty looks or because there were 6 of us, we could usually stop the cutting by taking up all the available space. We always thought that everyone will get a turn and it didnt matter if someone cut, b/c our turn would eventually come. You are supposed to be in the happiest place on earth - dont ruin it for the rest of us by cutting or by throwing a tantrum.

Posted by: Silver Spring | March 25, 2008 8:13 AM

I used to work across the street from the entrance of a major theme park and every day in the summer saw happy families rushing into the park in the morning and angry, grouching, hot, tired, whiney families leave every afternoon.

Posted by: Tom | March 25, 2008 8:17 AM

I generally try not to stoop to the level of the person who has committed an offense. If the person appears to be genuinely clueless, I will point out that the line actually ends way back there. But it's not worth getting too terrifically upset about.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | March 25, 2008 8:33 AM

Kudos for the beater. It's about time some street justice was handed out to the line busters. Oh - if you don't like sweating in long long lines for hours to get on a 2-minute ride - avoid Orlando.

Posted by: Justice | March 25, 2008 8:38 AM

justice are you nuts? not that i like line cutters, but it sounds like that vigilantism...lets say i dont like soemthing you do- its ok to beat you down?

Posted by: will | March 25, 2008 8:55 AM

Its not a ride story, but I was accused of line cutting recently at the airport. We were lining up to board, and people lines up in a Y shape. When I hit the point of the Y, I took an "alternate merge" perspective, let a group from the other side go, then I went. The guy who came in behind me muttered under his breath things like "she thinks she is better," "can't wait for anything," etc. I guess he thought I wouldn't hear b/c I had one ear bud of my ipod in. Finally, at the gate (in front of the attendent), I turned around and asked if he was talking about me and had a problem? He seemed all flustered and said no, he wasn't. Sure... I said "it was an alternate merge, I let the group in front of you go, then I went, then you got to go. Its how its done. How often do you fly?" It was his first trip in 5 years, my 5th boarding that week.

Posted by: RT | March 25, 2008 9:03 AM

One of the reasons I avoid amusement parks like the plague in the first place. Ridiculously overpriced, underentertaining, overbooked,overpopulated and a giant waste of time. Standing in a 60 minutes line for a 2 minute ride?! And even then you only get sloppy 4,342,345,653rds. Not to mention you are surrounded at all times by the great unwashed....yuck.

I hated it even when I was a kid.

And where were the park employees when the cutting occurred? That doesn't fly even in elementary school.

Posted by: Fred Evil | March 25, 2008 9:52 AM

Man - my family is going to Disney this May. I'm gonna have to skip the Tea Cups...

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 25, 2008 10:03 AM

Frankly, I think deliberate line cutters deserve whatever they get, though I'm not interested in being the one to give it to them. I'm more passive-aggressive -- if someone tries to cut in front of me, I might try to block them with my shoulder, and failing that I'll probably just comment about their rudeness to my companions loudly enough to be heard. Problem is, the type of person who is rude enough to cut also is completely unfazed by criticism, but at least it makes me feel a little better.

By the way, those of you who THINK you're being polite when you allow someone to cut in front of you (without a really good reason) -- at the amusement park, at a grocery store, in traffic, wherever -- please first look at how many people are waiting patiently behind you, having followed the "rules," and ask yourself whether you're being considerate to THEM. (This is a huge pet peeve of mine.)

Anyway, something about amusement parks -- a toxic combination of high prices, hot sun, demanding kids, etc. -- has always brought out the worst in people. I worked at fast food places in an amusement park for a couple of summers 20 years ago, and took a lot of abuse from cranky customers (like it was my fault the prices were jacked up in what amounts to a captive market). It was even worse at the places that served beer -- it's very profitable, but nothing enhances the inherent nastiness of some parkgoers like alcohol.

Posted by: jane | March 25, 2008 10:35 AM

It's very common at Disney for one adult to hold a spot in the line and for the other adult to wait with the kiddies out of the sun. Or run off to the bathroom. (Or even take in a different ride!)

When the rest of the party joins the "waiting adult" it looks just like they are cutting the line. I can see how that could flip someone on their last nerve. Maybe Disney could come up with some sort of rules to cover bathroom runs for toddlers waiting in a two hour line.

And if you are waiting in line to ride on a teacup and you are furious at other patrons...it's time to leave the park and hit the pool. That's what most of the kids remember about Disney anyway.

Posted by: Alice234 | March 25, 2008 10:36 AM

Generally is it's one or two people I don't make a fuss, but a big group I don't let by me if I can help it. Also, if there's a park atendant around, I let them know. I've never had a person in a park uniform blow off line cutting, at least not without me filing a report with customer service about them.

Posted by: EricS | March 25, 2008 11:02 AM

This is why I will never go to Disney again.

Posted by: csdiego | March 25, 2008 11:12 AM

I usually point out to the people that "the line really is beginning back there." I would say 80% of the time, people will say "Oh, sorry" and move. The other 20% of the population is not worth it, they will feel entitled no matter what you say. They basically have no conscience.....

Posted by: D | March 25, 2008 11:23 AM

Yeah. No amusement park vacations for me, thanks.

Posted by: h3 | March 25, 2008 11:27 AM

Maybe we will evolve into a "non-queueing" society. I spent some time in Germany a couple of decades ago, and for all their reputation of correctness and regulation, the only places I saw lines were at the post office and, if I remember correctly, the airport. Everyplace else it was a case of "heads down and elbows out", especially at supermarket checkouts. One of my friends got beaten in the checkout "line" by an older woman with an umbrella.

In Russia, it varied. Orderly at supermarkets and most other places you would expect to have to line up, including airport security lines, and jetways, but a total scrum at the bottom of outdoor boarding stairs. Absolute chaos on sidewalks and in public areas of buildings. Packed mobs getting into concerts of all kinds.

Mobbing can be fun if you're used to it!

Posted by: Bill Mosby | March 25, 2008 11:32 AM

Once, I went to the airport and after having gone through security, I went to stand in line at the McDonalds. There were two registers and one person waiting. I asked her which line was she in and she said "both of them." How rude! She should have picked a line instead of being entitled to go next no matter what. Don't they teach this in pre-school???? Suffice to say, I didn't say anything else. It was like 5AM in the morning and I didn't want to get my day off to a bad start.

Posted by: tlawrenceva | March 25, 2008 11:38 AM

I don't know about WDW, but I stopped going to Six Flags America about five years ago because of the intentional and blatant line cutting. When one woman said something, the person cutting in front of her threatened to stab her kids. When I reported this to management, I was told that SFA was an "urban" park and that line cutting was allowed. When I pointed out that SFA brochures state that line-cutters would be thrown out of the park, I was told "Go to Hershey with the other white folk"

Posted by: Dan | March 25, 2008 12:16 PM

"I asked her which line was she in and she said "both of them." How rude! She should have picked a line instead of being entitled to go next no matter what. Don't they teach this in pre-school???? "

Actually, you should read up on queueing theory and trucked vs. non-trunched systems. The one-line, multiple registers is the most efficicient system (most best Buys are set up this way now, the self-checkout lines, etc).

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 12:34 PM

Yes, there are people who will cut in lines, just as there are people who do things on the road that make you wonder what they are thinking. Call it a sense of entitlement, call it cluelessness, call it arrogance. It is what it is and it's not going to go away.

Sure it's annoying, but is it really worth getting yourself all wound up over? Is it worth an arrest, trial and possible jail time? It's not like you are going to go off in front of a thousand people and get away with it.

At Disney, you see these hyper-stressed out people all the time who paid all this money to go there and they are bound and determined to "get their money's worth" and in doing so, they forget to have any fun. They drag their kids miserably all over the place in a sweaty fit.

I've been there a number of times and always enjoy it, as do our kids. We always go with friends and we never try to do too much. When the crowds get big in the middle of the day, go back to the pool and have a swim. Use magic hours. Go to the parks early or late. Ride during mealtimes and eat off hours. Watch the wait time boards (they're all over the place these days) and follow the short waits. Plan ahead with reservations and bail out options. Use fast pass as much as possible. But at some point, you will almost certainly have to wait in lines. If that's not for you, they know thyself and follow the lead of the folks who say they will never go back. It's not for everyone. You have to remember that the rides and shows are just a backdrop for spending some time away with your friends and family, just as you would if you went camping or to the beach, that's all it is really.

Just try to avoid going ape in front of a bunch of kids over a silly tea cup that spins around and makes you puke. I guarentee that you will come to regret it.

Posted by: Paul | March 25, 2008 1:05 PM

That's why you go during off-peak. My fiance and I went this past September and the longest we stood in line was 20 minutes for the haunted house in Magic Kingdom. Most times the wait was 5-10 minutes and we even walked onto Splash Mountain and got to ride as many times as we wanted because no one was there!! I'd highly recommend going then!

Posted by: Christine | March 25, 2008 1:47 PM

Dan, I'm not sure who you talked to, but I would bet 50 bucks they don't work for Six Flags anymore. I've meet the guy in charge of the park a few times and he is very much no nonesense, and at least this past year it showed. Things ran a lot better and there was far less thuggery and line cutting in the park. Not much that can be done about bad apples though outside of kicking them out of the park unless everyone wants to spend a few hours with the police.

Posted by: EricS | March 25, 2008 2:15 PM

There are pros and cons to visiting the theme parks off peak times - pulling kids out of school for one issue. And seemingly low-volume weeks can surprise you - as when charter planes full of south American teens arrive during their summer - our winter. Other times cater to gays and lesbians, seniors etc. and thus pack in guests from those groups. Hitting an empty theme park is pipe dream.
But you can control some externals. Arriving without sunscreen, hat/visor or supportive shoes and socks are classic issues that will tank your day. You should arrive an hour before posted open time, get to the gate, use lockers if needed, verify a gameplan and emergency meeting area and buy tix if you didn't back home. You should have had a good b'fast and be finishing your second cold water bottle - it helps keep you cool. At rope drop make a beeline to your top choice, using suggested plans in Unofficial Guide to Disney, a great book. In general it works best to hit the back of the park and work forward but there are many variations.
Do not cut in line and also don't use your stroller as a battering ram vs. the crowd. Best not to confront strangers on any level, IMHO.
Families with kids aged 12 and older can sleep late, swim, eat a huge lunch and roll into the park at 2 p.m. ready to rock, prepared to stay until the last firework has popped. Your disadvantage will be parking very far away and facing crowds until they thin at 6 p.m. dinner time.
Stagger a day at the parks with a day of fun by the pool, a trip to the Kennedy space center and its national seashore or canoe/kayak in Brevard or Volusia counties, both 1.5 hrs. from Orlando, or less. Four days straight of theme park is crazy-making. Both counties have good park access for the disabled, several with shaded oceanfront gazebos for those unable to traverse sand. See their web sites for details.

Posted by: OrlandoNan | March 25, 2008 2:32 PM

She must've known that Orlando was named the angriest city in the nation and she wanted to fit in. Not that Disney is actually in Orlando, mind you, but most of you don't know any better.

Posted by: CrazyTourists | March 25, 2008 2:40 PM

I used to work at Disney, and the rule we had was that people were allowed to join their party in line, as long as someone was already waiting. If we knew someone had cut in line, they were not permitted to ride. I personally told some people they couldn't ride and would actually have to wait through the whole line, so I know it happens, but it can be hard to verify that the person actually cut (I used to ask a few different people to ensure the person reporting it was correct).

Posted by: Minnie | March 25, 2008 2:59 PM

Hate to break in, but I wanted to respond to Minnie: Interesting stuff. I remember a few years ago when I left a line with my brother-in-law for a show (we were there an hour ahead of time)at the Disney Studio park to get some food for the group and was nearly pummeled by the crowd when we squeezed our way back into the middle of the crowd. Funny thing is, I didn't blame 'em. I knew it looked as if we were cutting even though we weren't.

Posted by: John Deiner | March 25, 2008 3:09 PM

I was acussed of cutting in line at Target recently while trying to return something. I actually saw the other woman come into the store and stand to my left. I honestly think she didn't see me, but when I stepped forward she got very nasty and accused me of cutting in line. When I told her I had been standing there quite a while, she snarkily replied, "Well, I didn't see you." I just shrugged and said, "I guess not." Glad she didn't decide to beat me up.

Posted by: va | March 25, 2008 3:35 PM

This actually happened at WDW in 1994 because I helped it along. A family of about 8 people decided that they were entitled to cut lines to their liking. If they felt like waiting only 20 minutes, they'd cut up to the 20 minute mark (Most parks have signs to tell you how long a wait is from a certain point).

So, after this family disrupted many in the park that day and gotten to the point that people in line were talking about the rude people in line, action was taken. They had pushed passed me at three separate rides, once telling me that they were going to the front, there was nothing I could do. About 6 p.m. on the flume ride that goes through the mountain, a bunch of us in line had heard about this family and saw them coming. We came up with a plan that worked.

They stopped at the 20 minute mark and those of us in front of them were going to "hold" the line. We told the people in front of us what was going on and so-on. The "leader" of our line then started letting people in front of him from behind the cutters while there were a few others that were keeping the cutters from going backward in line. They got unruly with several of us when we explained to them that we wait in line in the USA and do not cut, therefore they were going to have to wait one minute for every person they inconvenienced that day. After about 5 minutes, Disney police happen on the scene and two minutes later have the family escorted out of line and handcuffed behind the scenes (we could see them through a hole in one of the decorations).

Those of us who blocked the family were rewarded with gift certificates from Disney as this family had been able to do this all day, in one case sending a child to the first aid station with a cut on his face. The reason they got away with it was they pushed their way in and by the time people complained, they were gone. They abused the system, but did it too much that enough people knew what was going on. They were brazen and finally got caught.

Do I reccommend this to do again? Yes. Did it at Busch Gardens last year on Griffon. The attendants did little to ease the tension until the police showed up. There were people in line that had the same family (four people this time) cut them twice already while waiting for the ride. After the second time, we all formed the plan again and executed it, blocking them in a corner where you make a U-turn. They had nowhere to go and as soon as Mr. Big Man pushed, people started pointing at him like he was beating up a kid. The family received a free ride home in one of those cars with flashing lights. The rest of our family saw them taken out and got the rest of the story from my brother and I after we finally got on the ride.

The moral, don't get beligerent, get smart.

Posted by: Line Cutters Revenge | March 25, 2008 3:38 PM

" I asked her which line was she in and she said "both of them." How rude! "

Um... no. Lots of places work this way. There is one line for multiple registers. Lots of fast food places and other stores work on this principle. It actually works better because people don't get hung up behind one person who is unusually slow, returning merchandise, etc.

Posted by: reston, va | March 25, 2008 3:39 PM

Yikes. Forget disney. I'm going to the beach.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 3:41 PM

Yeah, I've been in the McD's lady's situation - the one standing in both lines. What probably happened was there was a line (one line) when she got there & it had gotten down to just her, so it looked like she was standing in both. This has happened to me & you have to get territorial!

Posted by: old town | March 25, 2008 4:19 PM

Gonna have to agree with what others are saying about the "both of [the lines]" comment as well. Sometimes it just works that way - the last person standing there looks like a dork, but that's how it goes...

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 25, 2008 4:36 PM

Yep, a lot of places form on line for both (or all) open registers. Think of a bank where you wait in the rope line only to be called to the next teller. Same difference.

Posted by: CrazyTourists | March 25, 2008 5:07 PM

I grew up in the Tampa Bay area. I went to Disney a LOT growing up! I just went again when I was visiting my family in December. The most annoying thing is NOT the line cutters, but the masses of people who rent scooters. Most of these people are not in any way disabled, but know that for $40 day they can ride around instead of walk AND get a free front-of-the-line pass on ever ride for them and for their families. It is a very, VERY bad policy of Disney's. And is especially annoying when the 40-year-old jumps off the scooter after being ushered to the front of the line, and he/she runs at a very full and UN-HANDICAPPED gallop onto the ride with an extended family of twelve people. Other theme parks allow the scooter to the front of the line to then WAIT for the rest of their party to get through the line to meet them. Disney hasn't caught on to this yet.

Posted by: CAC in Takoma Park | March 25, 2008 5:43 PM

I also wanted to add that Disney has some of the most intense surveillance ever. I can't believe that you can get away with anything there. While waiting in line for Space Mountain, a group of obnoxious kids decided to have fun by kicking the back of my legs and, when I ignored them, throwing ice and empty cups at my back. When I turned to ask them to stop (at the end of my patience), I turned just in time to watch them being ushered away by Disney security. The Mouse sees EVERYTHING!

Posted by: CAC in Takoma Park | March 25, 2008 5:49 PM

I went to Kennedy Space Center two weeks ago. At 4:30pm we went to get on a bus for a tour of the launch pads and old man security guard said, "go out that way". I said, "you mean the buses are down there?". He said. "no, exit there". I said, "when did this close?" He said, "6pm". I said, "that's an hour-and-a-half from now". In a rude tone he responded, "it has nothing to do with when the buses finish the tour." I was left scratchin' my head. These park employees apparently aren't paid to be polite.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 25, 2008 5:51 PM

To CAC: I agree that those scooters are annoying. However, having a scooter (or even a wheelchair) at Disney doesn't get you to the front of the line. Most scooter riding folks have to get off their scooters and go through the regular line. There are handicapped entrances, but the wait using these is as long, if not longer than the regular line. The handicapped entrance simply allows an easier on and off point.

Posted by: Joe | March 25, 2008 7:22 PM

I was in line to return an item at Ikea the other day. I was sitting on a couch waiting for my number to be called and a woman with a small child walked up to the return desk as if she was next. The employee told her that she needed a number and she began to rant that she'd been waiting for a long time (not nearly as long as I had). The employee said, "Okay" and began helping her. I had to find my zen. I told myself this woman had a small child with her and I did not. I told myself that it meant nothing in the grand scheme of things. It was annoying but I kept my cool & it was no big deal.

Posted by: Melissa | March 25, 2008 8:10 PM

People you are all going way off to other subjects. You are also saying she cut. Follow the story Since May 2007, check out the updaye myfoxorlando.com. The Victim did not cut. The news clearly explained the ride is a long line then the CM puts enough people in the squared off area and lines them from front to back. Thats how the Victim anded up in front.(The attacker says she cut) Walker (The attacker) is 5'11", 230+ pounds. The victim was putting her child on the tea cup when Walker atttacked her from behind. Beating her to a pulp in front of her children and all the children there. It took more than 4 people to pull this mamouth off this 5'4 110 pound mom. This is the problem with society, you worry about petty things without the facts. She did not cut and now has a lifetime of injuries. Walker is also 51 years old, the Victim Krause is 34. Dont you think Waker should know better. And lets just assume Krause cut, you all think its right to beat another human so severely in front of so many? Bet you wouldnt think this way if it was your family member, mom, sister, aunt, daughter, grandma, your beloved. Shame on any of you who did not read the whole story, and are condoning this behavior from Walker. Not only Beating Krause from behind but tying a water bottle strap around her neck to chock her??? Obviously the State has enough evidence and has had it. They extridited Walker back from Alabama with our tax dollars last July and arrested her, because as the original report shows Disney let all the witness go. Glad you all think people like Walker belong walking among us. Shame on all of you. What has this world come to, a women was beaten infront of her child. her child was physically hurt by Walker and all you can talk about is hating line cutters. Go research from the first story on News 13 in 2007. I hope you all change the direction of this post, I personally feel terrible for the victim her family, children and all the children who watched this. They have all been traumatized. To the victim we dont all read bits and pieces of the story and our hearts go out to you and your family.God Bless you and your famliy and all the family and children that had to see this at Disney World of all places.

Posted by: Marcus | March 26, 2008 7:12 AM

Marcus - Perhaps we're not reading the same thread but I don't see anyone condoning the actions of the attacker. I think you are mistaking sarcastic responses for real.

Re: the scooters. Actually, at Disney they are allowed to go to the front of the line, along with their whole party, whereas at Universal only the person in the scooter jumps the line. This made me nuts for the better part of 2 days last year. I asked a Disney CM why they allow this, and she said a) they don't want to be the disability police and b) they are afraid of discrimination lawsuits.

Posted by: Allison | March 26, 2008 1:07 PM

In an ordinary place (bank, grocery store), interrupting the person in the process of cutting by saying, in a clear voice, "So, sorry, but there's a *line,*" and pointing to the end of it is enough to shame most people into sheepishly apologizing and heading for the end of the queue. For blatant queue-jumpers (I've seen some *serious* fast-acting intervention skills by folks in Europe when people try to queue-jump), that's usually not enough.

The problem is when the venue won't do anything about it, or work with the patient folks in line to remove cutters or make them wait. "Squeaky wheel" and all that; usually the queue jumpers are more willing and able to make a public scene, which most employees either want to or are trained to avoid, than the folks standing in line.

Some people will try to cut by avoiding eye contact and eventually trying to claim ignorance of the line-- stepping out of line to tap that person on the shoulder, look them in the eye, and politely (but directly, and with a big smile) tell them there's a line, has *always* merited me getting my place in line back, when I returned to it. The idea being that you're openly challenging them to be an a$$hat in front of the rest of the queueful of witnesses-- and possibly the venue's employees. Usually works with all but the most persistent of offenders. I find that loud comments behind the person's back *never* work, they're ignored.

As for a queue-jumper openly *threatening* someone else in line? That's got to get reported to management, as soon as you can find an employee to be able to point the person out right away. Having someone kick you or dump a drink on you? That's *assault.*

Posted by: Casta Lusoria | March 26, 2008 5:11 PM

Pummel the line-cutters.

Posted by: rtk | March 27, 2008 12:19 PM

At a Von's, a checker opened up a new lane and beckoned me in -- I was first in line in the next one over. Before I could pick up my basket, a couple of losers from the back of the line on the other side jumped in. Checker (of course) just kept her eyes down and checked them out. The woman behind me muttered something about "rude" -- I said, loudly: "Well, they have to live inside their own heads -- that's punishment enough." About 45 seconds later, when the words had penetrated into their dull-normal brains, one guy had the grace to look embarrassed, the other turned around and said something along the lines of, "you better hope you never see me again lady". I assured him it was my most fervent wish never to see him again. I asked for an escort by store security to my car, and I did think later that perhaps my mouth was working a little in advance of my judgment. However, I also think that the reason these people continue to behave this way is that there is no societal sanction for the behavior. If they get away with it, then it was at worst morally neutral. So I put down the societal sanction at every opportunity -- it's my civic duty.

Posted by: Miss Thing | March 27, 2008 6:11 PM

I stopped going to amusement parks over 15 years ago because of my disgust with queue-jumpers. Kings Dominion was the worst of the ones I regularly visited. Little girls saying, "My aunt forgot her pocky-book" shoving through the queue, only to hop on the ride with their friends when they got to the front. Groups of five or six claiming that they had one person holding a spot further up the queue (which might not be so bad if they weren't two-thirds of the way through the metal "maze" portion). Then if you challenged them you got a profane tirade (think "mother" being half a word).

The point that "RT" made about people not understanding the "alternate merge" concept is hardly unique to amusement park or airport queues, of course. We all know how lots of people don't understand the idea of taking turns at the end of the merge lane on the highway. Last time I took the Auto Train, there were clearly two lanes marked for the entrance with a merge right before the check-in gate, but everyone queued up in the left lane. So I used the right lane. Some stupid old man tried to box me out when it was my turn, I forced my way in front of him, and when I was turning my car over to the Amtrak personnel he had the nerve to tell me that I had "cut him off" and that I "had better be careful." The Amtrak personnel told us both that I was in the right, but this old fool didn't care and kept whining. Now, bear in mind, this guy was like 70 years old and a foot shorter than me, so I stood over him and said, "Sounds like you're trying to threaten me. Bring it on, old man." Of course he was all bluster and continued to grumble, but I still didn't leave my car until he had gone into the station. All the Amtrak employees just shook their heads and said "senile old fool."

I can sympathize with "Miss Thing." Years ago I worked at a computer store and, if we were opening a register, we were trained always to walk over to the first customer whose cart was not yet unloaded to ask that person to be first in the new queue. Unfortunately, most cashiers are too lazy to do this, or they don't care who comes next.

Posted by: Hater of queue-jumpers | March 28, 2008 11:49 AM

Here is the real story. Aimee is a friend of mine who took her 2 children and 2 other children to the park. While they were in line at the Teacup ride, a Disney employee was going down the line for the next party of 4. The kids got on; Aimee put the 4 lanyards holding water bottles around her neck. Walker started yelling at her, then beating her repeadly. At one point she was choking Aimee with the lanyards around her neck. It was a brutal attack on a petite lady - while her 7 year son old yelled from the ride "My Mom's going to die!" Aimee has a herniated disk in her cervical spine, the pins in her broken leg were removed a few months ago, she suffered a concussion and has trauma seizures now. She forgets what she has said so repeats herself - she used to be a very sharp, detail oriented person. Her life will never be the same; her children witnessed a terrifying attack on their mother while other people just watched.

Posted by: Gwen | April 9, 2008 4:13 PM

I LOVE YOU

Posted by: C0G0 | April 21, 2008 4:45 PM

"I asked her which line was she in and she said "both of them." " Tlawrence, I have to join the others in telling you that you were in the wrong at the airport McD's. Yes, the person waiting before you gets the FIRST OPEN REGISTER, why should you get a chance to get waited on ahead of her? For all you know, her plane is boarding in 10 minutes. If yours is boarding in 1o minutes, you should go back to your gate. Sorry, you are wrong, wrong, wrong!

Posted by: Mrs. P. | May 6, 2008 10:43 AM